Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Since when did it become open season on discussing current events in here?

Thankfully I succeeded in a full media blackout until I watched the fights at 4pm Sunday. But in here people were discussing results of the main and co-main by lunchtime.

I know I'll be criticised and told that if you want to avoid spoilers then stay offline but it doesn't change the fact that there are event threads for a reason and a lot of people don't watch live.

i can see the point your making, however I fell asleep last night before Jones V Cormier and i can 100% tell you the place i didn`t go to before I had caught back up was a mma discussion general chat forum.

Not saying it's your own fault at all, and i think there was a tradition of spoilering any posts discussing the results for 24 hrs though I could be wrong there, however that main event was something of a talking point so chat was always likely.

for instance say the match had ended in a DQ for some crazy reason, there would be no way to avoid that by coming into general mma chat.

my point being why risk it, personally i`d have taught it reasonably likely that a carded ufc event would be the main topic of conversation a few hours after finishing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Like I said, I only just came in here an hour ago. But in the past I have been into general MMA while still avoiding the specific event thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Like I said, I only just came in here an hour ago. But in the past I have been into general MMA while still avoiding the specific event thread.

It was a big event in fairness, it was always likely to have implications on the UFC in general and create some news, and that's what this thread is for. I too see the points you're making, but the fights last night instigated some major talking points and the spill over into this thread is fairly natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are right regarding spoilers and 24hours. I'd even say 48h is better. People shouldn't give away results in other threads it starting new thread titles that give it away.

In saying that, is kinda expect it in the general thread. I didn't watch last night live, so avoid this thread and the event thread only for a few hours

It's things like fights announced etc that are often released at big events like this. Like when Lesnar's return for UFC 200 was announced.

Those are the things I expect to see in the general thread.

Like I said I wasn't affected this time but I was surprised to see discussion on results as early as 6am, right after it ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

Yes fight discussion should not be allowed in here after an event
    Think we need a mods say on this

smilerf wrote: »
    Yes fight discussion should not be allowed in here after an event
    Think we need a mods say on this

Pretty sure they have deleted posts and commented on it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I was giving out about Bisping GSP but I had totally forgot that Whittaker is the interim champ, so is he gonna fight someone else with the interim belt on the line?? ****ing UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was giving out about Bisping GSP but I had totally forgot that Whittaker is the interim champ, so is he gonna fight someone else with the interim belt on the line?? ****ing UFC

No Whittaker is out injured with his knee. His next fight will be the winner of GSP & Bisping, according to Dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not that I mind, but I'd like to see Bisping properly challenged. I thought he took the belt from Rockhold in fantastic fashion, but since then, dare I say it, he's had it really easy - an ageing Henderson, and now a GSP who hasn't fought in four years. I do look forward to Whitaker's return, he was hugely impressive in his last fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Harambe wrote: »
    No Whittaker is out injured with his knee. His next fight will be the winner of GSP & Bisping, according to Dana.

Ah yeah, forgot about the knee :) imagine GSP wins and becomes the MW champ. Would be bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Bisping v gsp i'll buy that for a dolllar.

Love me a superfight and there is no worthy challanger now that whittaker is injured

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Bisping vs GSP being called a Superfight hurts my soul

callaway92 wrote: »
    Bisping vs GSP being called a Superfight hurts my soul

Love michael bisping probaly my favourite ufc fighter and was a big fan of GSP before his hiatus. So yes this is a superfight for some of us mma fans

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ricero wrote: »
    Love michael bisping probaly my favourite ufc fighter and was a big fan of GSP before his hiatus. So yes this is a superfight for some of us mma fans

Same - Bisping is probably my favourite fighter too other than Barboza but this isn't a superfight.

A superfight is something with magnitute like GSP v Anderson Silva would've been back in the day. Or even Lesnar vs Fedor back then. Jon Jones v Lesnar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Inviere wrote: »
    GSP who hasn't fought in four years.
    Sure he won't have fought in 4 years.
    But on the other hand, he's GSP.

People have short memories if they are making out that GSP is easy fight.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Same - Bisping is probably my favourite fighter too other than Barboza but this isn't a superfight.

A superfight is something with magnitute like GSP v Anderson Silva would've been back in the day. Or even Lesnar vs Fedor back then. Jon Jones v Lesnar etc.

Each to their own i suppose but i see it as two legends of the sport going face to face. Its a dream fight for me. I want to watch it and im sure many people do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,153 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Think Bisping is brilliant to be honest. He's been dodging contender fights but he is a draw and that matters more to Dana.

So what if GSP is out 4 years, its GSP he's one of the GOAT. Jon Jones and GSP back is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bisping is not a draw at all, where is this myth coming from? He's a journeyman who got absolutely poxed and won a title and has since defended it once against a pensioner who wasn't even in the top 10 of the rankings and nearly got KO's 3 times in that fight. He's a joke of a champion. The sooner one of the actual elite fighters decapitates him and retires him to a career of crap one liners on UFC tonight the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Bisping is not a draw at all, where is this myth coming from? He's a journeyman who got absolutely poxed and won a title and has since defended it once against a pensioner who wasn't even in the top 10 of the rankings and nearly got KO's 3 times in that fight. He's a joke of a champion. The sooner one of the actual elite fighters decapitates him and retires him to a career of crap one liners on UFC tonight the better.

Is that you Lucas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Definitely see Rumble back in octagon the way he's talking, Even the manner he was beating twice by DC still be really interesting to see him and JJ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

No interest in seeing him fight Jones now, absolute quitter looking for a few bob now the man who beat him is gone for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Definitely see Rumble back in octagon the way he's talking, Even the manner he was beating twice by DC still be really interesting to see him and JJ

I think Jones would pretty easily take him down and finish him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A ridiculous lack of respect for Bisping in this thread.

Tied for most fights in UFC history (which he will break in his next fight), most wins in UFC history, never turns down fights (blame the UFC for setting up the Henderson rematch, he was hardly going to turn it down), always fought clean in a dirty era, so much so that he has sustained permanent damage at the hands of a juicer, also a pioneer of elite level MMA in Europe.

He is one of, if not the toughest bastard in the game and deserves a hell of a lot more respect than he is getting here.

The most ridicolous thing i have heard is that he was dodging defending his title. The man was injured and had to have knee surgery. Bisping one of the toughest bastards in the sport and i dont believe for one second that he was dodging fights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not a huge fan of Bisping, he's obviously tough as nails but the way he's trying to imitate McGregor just isn't endearing to me, he's not that good at it tbh. Am looking forward to seeing him properly tested after taking the belt (though Hendo nearly split his head in two tbf), & am not convinced a 4 year inactive GSP is that test....is it?

Seem him referred to here as Count Duckula, have to admit I lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ricero wrote: »
    The most ridicolous thing i have heard is that he was dodging defending his title. The man was injured and had to have knee surgery. Bisping one of the toughest bastards in the sport and i dont believe for one second that he was dodging fights

He's dodging fights to get the money fight

He's dodging fights to get the money fight

Whittaker is injured and rest of the top contenders in the division are coming off a loss except for weidman but that would be ridicolous as he lost 3 in a row before his latest win. If mousassi was still there i would give him the shot but hes gone. Fair play to bisping gets to fight a returning GSP in the garden and headline it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Inviere wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of Bisping, he's obviously tough as nails but the way he's trying to imitate McGregor just isn't endearing to me, he's not that good at it tbh. Am looking forward to seeing him properly tested after taking the belt (though Hendo nearly split his head in two tbf), & am not convinced a 4 year inactive GSP is that test....is it?

Seem him referred to here as Count Duckula, have to admit I lol'd

How exactly is he imitating mcgregor?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Bisping could've rehabbed about 5 knee injuries in this space of time dont believe a word of it, some small surgery he probably got to fix something and is dragging it out like ****.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement