Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Woodley going off on the mma hour. I actually have a lot of sympathy for him and I don't think he is a boring fighter, he had two extreme opponents and sounds like he ****ed up his shoulder at the start of the maia fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Threatening to release secrets if he doesn't get a public apology, I would be a fan if he went full heal and went anti dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gamebred wrote: »
    Threatening to release secrets if he doesn't get a public apology, I would be a fan if he went full heal and went anti dana.

Yupp, can't stand him as a fighter and find him hard to listen to but Dana was a c*nt to him. Leak that **** T Wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Inviere wrote:
    Not a huge fan of Bisping, he's obviously tough as nails but the way he's trying to imitate McGregor just isn't endearing to me, he's not that good at it tbh. Am looking forward to seeing him properly tested after taking the belt (though Hendo nearly split his head in two tbf), & am not convinced a 4 year inactive GSP is that test....is it?

He's been around a lot longer than McGregor..He's not imitating anybody. That's the way Bisping has been since day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Inviere

He's been around a lot longer than McGregor..He's not imitating anybody. That's the way Bisping has been since day 1

Perhaps so, I just think his smack talk is awfully contrived & a blatant stab at hyping up fights artificially...which in itself, is part of the game...but others can do it far more naturally & believably

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Inviere wrote:
    Perhaps so, I just think his smack talk is awfully contrived & a blatant stab at hyping up fights artificially...which in itself, is part of the game...but others can do it far more naturally & believably

But he's not imitating McGregor.

But he's not imitating McGregor.

Bad description on my part, I feel he's seen McGregor get the big money fights by building large hype around them...& has tried to emulate that. However, I don't think he's much good at it. Take the Whitaker fight there recently, storming into the ring & throwing his own belt down on the canvas, trying to big up the fight, build hype etc...where there was nothing but respect for him coming from Whitaker...it was all very WWE imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Inviere wrote: »

I find his smack talk far better than McGregor's, he's well able to just think funny stuff up there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gamebred wrote: »

He won't do a thing as his arse will drop like them all, but it would be absolutely amazing if he ended up revealing a mountain of stuff that put Dana in the ****. :pac:

I am sick of Dana getting away with lie after lie. It'd be fantastic if someone did some proper damage to him and I doubt there would be anyone in MMA upset by it or that would feel sorry for him.

Do it, Woodley! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

MMA is the best soap opera of them all, and we tune in everyday to it crazy scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

See Drew Dober has been told he has to move up a weight class by CSAC but they equally can't make him.

He made the 155lb limit but rehydrated 28lbs and fought at 183lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

See Drew Dober has been told he has to move up a weight class by CSAC but they equally can't make him.

He made the 155lb limit but rehydrated 28lbs and fought at 183lbs.

They'll just to the same thing with him that they did with Barao and refuse to sanction a fight for him at 155 in California.

They'll just to the same thing with him that they did with Barao and refuse to sanction a fight for him at 155 in California.

Yeah but it'd be cool if the commissions got their act together and applied it across the board, it'd get fighters closer to better weight classes if they did. E.g. If New York or Nevada agreed to enforce the CSAC ruling on it.

It'd be unfair to Dober in the short term because he'd probably be going up against welterweights rehydrating to 195lb/200lbs but given a year or 2 it'd reshape the landscape of weight cutting.

Wishful thinking I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Yeah but it'd be cool if the commissions got their act together and applied it across the board, it'd get fighters closer to better weight classes if they did. E.g. If New York or Nevada agreed to enforce the CSAC ruling on it.

It'd be unfair to Dober in the short term because he'd probably be going up against welterweights rehydrating to 195lb/200lbs but given a year or 2 it'd reshape the landscape of weight cutting.

Did he make 155? If so, whats the issue. ( i know its not good to cut so much but if he can make it is it not his business?)

Edit: are they concerned about how big he rehydrated to?

Did he make 155? If so, whats the issue. ( i know its not good to cut so much but if he can make it is it not his business?)

Edit: are they concerned about how big he rehydrated to?

They're concerned about how much he dehydrated to make weight as it's not exactly safe. They're trying to eliminate the bad habits MMA inherited from American Collegiate wrestling and avoid pointless deaths in the sport.

The best solution, and the one that makes sense, to end the level of dehydration that is currently happening by people risking organ failure to make weight where they're big gaps between divisions is to implement the new divisions which were just approved and scrap 170 and introduce 165, 175, 195 and 225 weight classes, but that won't happen any time soon unfortunately.

The best solution, and the one that makes sense, to end the level of dehydration that is currently happening by people risking organ failure to make weight where they're big gaps between divisions is to implement the new divisions which were just approved and scrap 170 and introduce 165, 175, 195 and 225 weight classes, but that won't happen any time soon unfortunately.

Yeah Dana was adamant it ain't happening under his watch! He's happy with the weight classes they have now... mind you he was adamant he wouldn't do womens MMA as well, so we'll see see.

The scary thing is 28lbs isn't even the most extreme cut. I guarantee some of the bigger lightweights are doing 30-35lb cuts. If you take them at face value, anyway, I've gone through it and the following guys claim to walk around at 190lb+ when outside camp:

Eddie Alvarez
    Nate Diaz
    Kevin Lee
    Khabib
    Edson Barboza
    Tony Ferguson (is the worst, he claimed to weigh 205lbs before UFC 177 camp began, said he was getting stuck into food big time.)
    Al Iaquinta said he used to cut from 200lb.

I'm aware walking-weight outside camp isn't a fully fair comparison as some of them enjoy getting fat eating hand over fist but that's still cutting 25% of body weight in extreme cases.

I'm surprised more guys don't die.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Woodley going off on the mma hour. I actually have a lot of sympathy for him and I don't think he is a boring fighter, he had two extreme opponents and sounds like he ****ed up his shoulder at the start of the maia fight.

Fair fcuks to him and I couldn't agree with him more.... publicly criticizing him was way out of order.

In saying that though, I don't think he will fare too well as Dana is a dickhead and will no doubt just make things worse for him......... but Tyron is absolutely right but being right isn't enough to win with White, that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If he suffers serious injury or dies I becomes more than his business.
    They can't really take an Ivan Drago position on these things.
    I don't think that makes a huge difference tbh. Under those weight classes. Dober still fights at 155.
    The big cutters at 170 move to 175. But the small cutters (like Gunni for example) move to 165.
    Fighters still squeeze every edge unless kept in check.

• Advertisement

Yeah Dana was adamant it ain't happening under his watch! He's happy with the weight classes they have now... mind you he was adamant he wouldn't do womens MMA as well, so we'll see see.

The scary thing is 28lbs isn't even the most extreme cut. I guarantee some of the bigger lightweights are doing 30-35lb cuts. If you take them at face value, anyway, I've gone through it and the following guys claim to walk around at 190lb+ when outside camp:

Eddie Alvarez
    Nate Diaz
    Kevin Lee
    Khabib
    Edson Barboza
    Tony Ferguson (is the worst, he claimed to weigh 205lbs before UFC 177 camp began, said he was getting stuck into food big time.)
    Al Iaquinta said he used to cut from 200lb.

I'm aware walking-weight outside camp isn't a fully fair comparison as some of them enjoy getting fat eating hand over fist but that's still cutting 25% of body weight in extreme cases.

I'm surprised more guys don't die.
    Nobody is cutting 25%. That would probably kill you.
    You are mixing up dropping weight and cutting, completely different processes. Ballooning up between fights makes life tough during camp, and dropping the weight adds physical stress. But it's there's no danger associated with dropping large amounts of fat. As there is with cutting large amounts (water manipulation).

It's kinda like the way walking around weight is used in different

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Mellor wrote: »
    Nobody is cutting 25%. That would probably kill you.
    You are mixing up dropping weight and cutting, completely different processes. Ballooning up between fights makes life tough during camp, and dropping the weight adds physical stress. But it's there's no danger associated with dropping large amounts of fat. As there is with cutting large amounts (water manipulation).

It's kinda like the way walking around weight is used in different

When you drop a large amount of weight quickly, it isn't just "fat" that comes off man. Your vital organs actually drop in weight too. Your heart, liver, etc all actually weigh less believe it or not. It can be very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,153 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Inviere wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of Bisping, he's obviously tough as nails but the way he's trying to imitate McGregor just isn't endearing to me, he's not that good at it tbh. Am looking forward to seeing him properly tested after taking the belt (though Hendo nearly split his head in two tbf), & am not convinced a 4 year inactive GSP is that test....is it?

Seem him referred to here as Count Duckula, have to admit I lol'd

Imitate McGregor? UFC started before Conor. Bisping is around a long time trash talking.

rob316 wrote: »
    Imitate McGregor? UFC started before Conor. Bisping is around a long time trash talking.

Clarified in post #7899, bad choice of words on my part.

Kirby wrote: »
    When you drop a large amount of weight quickly, it isn't just "fat" that comes off man. Your vital organs actually drop in weight too. Your heart, liver, etc all actually weigh less believe it or not. It can be very dangerous.
    There's a limit of fat metabolism, and above that your body will catabolise lean tissue - mostly muscle and yes potentially organs also. But there needs to be context of "large amount of weight" and "quickly". Losing a few lbs over a period of weeks is nothing like a gastric bypass (for example).

Plus part of the reason why certain organs reduce in size is because they aren't required to be as large. I think it's actually desirable in some situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Jsmac67

I've got two tickets for the Schaub Saturday evening show this Saturday in the Sugar Club if anybody is looking

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can see why the UFC wouldn't want to do this as it would really dilute the quality of each division. I don't think there's enough fighters around yet to make those divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I think the people who think Bisping is imitating Conor are surely largely ones who discovered the game through him, no harm in that but find it gas people can deride it when it comes to Bisping but no problem when Conor does it coz he is Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,153 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think the people who think Bisping is imitating Conor are surely largely ones who discovered the game through him, no harm in that but find it gas people can deride it when it comes to Bisping but no problem when Conor does it coz he is Irish.

My buddy hates bisping and loves conor. He says when Conor does it it's charismatic as he's Irish, when bisping does it he just sounds cringey and forced.

Get your head out of conors ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I like to call these people mcnuggets. As far as i can see it MMA exists in two era's Before mcnugets and After mcnuggets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement