Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

UFC 214 did 850,000 buys according to Darren Rovell of ESPN but there's a catch: He said that number included Canada & Australia.

Now, usually a PPV number doesn't include CA & OZ but that would account for roughly 120,000 buys so the real number would be closer to 700/750,000 which means it did worse than Jones-Cormier 1 and almost $1.3 million less at the gate.

Literally everything came together for this card, all matches stayed on, it was eagerly anticipated and while 750k is a good number, all things considered they're probably disappointed. More so, it shows they could really do with Conor headlining MSG or the December 30th card in Vegas.

In other news, WME-IMG are buying out most of the Fertitta brothers and Dana Whites remaining stake in the company. I'm not positive what % the Fertitta's/White retain but I believe it's less than 5% of the company.

Regardless, it now means WME-IMG will have a 51% controlling interest.

You're making assumptions on rumors here. Where are you getting the Canada/Australia buys accounting for 120k?

Most people in the know say its impossible to predict the PPV number 2 weeks after the fight. Rovell is saying his sources put the estimate. Its far from concrete at this stage. Dave Metzler is usually the go to guy for this information, which I thought he included Canada in too.

It was eagerly anticipated, but not as much as the first one after the brawl, both men being undefeated and no big cards around it. This was somewhat in the shadow of MayMac and has a chance to beat the first one, Its a homerun for the UFC imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Everybody knows Sage was to be the real draw for 214......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

"Trending above 1 million"

Don't believe his lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

TimRiggins wrote: »
    You're making assumptions on rumors here. Where are you getting the Canada/Australia buys accounting for 120k?

Most people in the know say its impossible to predict the PPV number 2 weeks after the fight. Rovell is saying his sources put the estimate. Its far from concrete at this stage. Dave Metzler is usually the go to guy for this information, which I thought he included Canada in too.

It was eagerly anticipated, but not as much as the first one after the brawl, both men being undefeated and no big cards around it. This was somewhat in the shadow of MayMac and has a chance to beat the first one, Its a homerun for the UFC imo.

I said 'roughly' but it was just a guess. I had a look at a few numbers thrown around online claiming to be the individual PPV records for the UFC in Canada/Australia and just had a guess based on that. If those buy-rates were accurate, they more or less reflected population size proportionality, so I just guessed. It could be more or less than 120,000.

It's all guesswork, even by Meltzer, until the audited PPV numbers come out in the wash and the only ones with access to those numbers are the UFC and the individual champions/opponents and their managers, so it's all basically speculative.

I just thought if they only did 700,000 in the US it'd be disappointing to do less than the first fight, given the fact 214 was far-and-away the best card of the year for the UFC. Obviously some people might view it as a runaway success given no UFC card in 2017 even topped 350,000 before this.

I said 'roughly' but it was just a guess. I had a look at a few numbers thrown around online claiming to be the individual PPV records for the UFC in Canada/Australia and just had a guess based on that. If those buy-rates were accurate, they more or less reflected population size proportionality, so I just guessed. It could be more or less than 120,000.

It's all guesswork, even by Meltzer, until the audited PPV numbers come out in the wash and the only ones with access to those numbers are the UFC and the individual champions/opponents and their managers, so it's all basically speculative.

I just thought if they only did 700,000 in the US it'd be disappointing to do less than the first fight, given the fact 214 was far-and-away the best card of the year for the UFC. Obviously some people might view it as a runaway success given no UFC card in 2017 even topped 350,000 before this.

I think its a little more then guesswork by Meltzer but yeah, He's not entirely accurate, but apparently he gets very close with the formula he uses. UFC are known to exaggerate numbers like they did with UFC 100 and Dana saying every big fight is "The biggest we've ever done".

Even if it is 700,000 I think its a success. Jones had fought once in 2 and a half years previous and that fight didn't break 400k. I think Him v Guus 2 does close to 1m.

Jones is big over here. Especially with the Black community, He transcends over to the mainstream, Not anywhere near the same way as Rousey or McGregor does but more then any other UFC fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,421 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Don't Meltzers numbers include Canada?
    FWIW, Australian buyrates would be low enough. I imagine the record is MayPac.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »

PPV is same price in Canada so I'd assume so

Lukker- wrote: »

Its actually more expensive here if you take into account the exchange rate.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Its actually more expensive here if you take into account the exchange rate.

Craziness

Lukker- wrote: »
    I was talking about the ppv buyrates Meltzer comes out with. I'm not sure in that are USA only or North America.
    But that are in number of buys, not $$$, so the price doesn't come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Dan Hardy added to the commentary team for the MayMac fight.

So North Korea has a nuke....he better ****ing wait until after 217....

What I read was that Horn-Pacquiao broke the Australian PPV record which was previously held by Anthony Mundine-Danny Green.

The numbers I saw thrown out there were 115,000 PPV buys for Mundine-Green which beat the previous record by more than double, which was Tyson-Holyfield 50,000 buys.

That's all information on boxing forums though so I don't know how accurate it is but 115,000 buys seems a realistic number for a country with that population.

dashoonage wrote: »
    So North Korea has a nuke....he better ****ing wait until after 217....

Depends how it goes but I imagine it'll be Seoul, Tokyo, and those type of cities being leveled to the ground first so we should be grand for Conor v Floyd :pac: They reckon the ICBM can hit L.A. with a 50-50 chance of being intercepted, so Vegas will be safe :D

Seems like Bisping had a good holiday! Robbed twice, nearly drowns, saves 2 lives and has to be rescued by the lifeguard :pac:

Nice to see Tom Egan on the Contender Series last night and his fighter getting the contract! Yoel Romero-esque flying knee followed by one punch on the ground, lights out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nice to see Tom Egan on the Contender Series last night and his fighter getting the contract! Yoel Romero-esque flying knee followed by one punch on the ground, lights out!

Yeah but did he meet up the sbg guys wonder that is the real question, no going by social media.

What I read was that Horn-Pacquiao broke the Australian PPV record which was previously held by Anthony Mundine-Danny Green.

The numbers I saw thrown out there were 115,000 PPV buys for Mundine-Green which beat the previous record by more than double, which was Tyson-Holyfield 50,000 buys.

That's all information on boxing forums though so I don't know how accurate it is but 115,000 buys seems a realistic number for a country with that population.
    Mundaine Greene broke the record. But thats were the facts end. I've heard numbers from 100k to 200k. Australian media are extremely lazy though. Lots of copy/paste without verifying. They claimed Mundain v Greene 2 was going to break records (not a hope) and also Pacquiao v Horn week before the fight.
    They seem to forget about MayPac, not sure why.

I'd take any articles or reports with a huge pinch of salt as many of the papers reporting, and the satellite company showings the fights, are both owned by News Corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Looks like Paddy Holihan is going to be at the 2fm debate this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah but did he meet up the sbg guys wonder that is the real question, no going by social media.

The MacLife guys were there, so maybe a few of the McG camp were about also

• Advertisement

GSP has signed to fight Bisping

Get this money fight out of the way and hopefully Bobby Knuckles can bring balance to the force afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Whens this on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Anyone have any estimates to how much a ticket will be for 217 in new york ? With conor not being on the card i thought they be a bit cheaper

ricero wrote: »
    Anyone have any estimates to how much a ticket will be for 217 in new york ? With conor not being on the card i thought they be a bit cheaper

Will probably be the exact same as last year.

I booked flights and hotel last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

GSP has signed to fight Bisping

Bisping's defensive wrestling will be the key here and it's more than good enough IMO. I think he beats GSP. A little surprised Bisping is underdog to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dashoonage wrote: »
    Will probably be the exact same as last year.

I booked flights and hotel last night!

How much was a ticket last year ? Thinking of either going to 217 or 219 in vegas at the end of the year. Flights and hotel very cheap though for new york in november

ricero wrote: »
    How much was a ticket last year ? Thinking of either going to 217 or 219 in vegas at the end of the year. Flights and hotel very cheap though for new york in november

I think i paid 500 last year.

I stayed down by msg last year and it was grand. Staying longer this time so moved up to times square.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Fair play to Paddy but I'd have avoided it if I was him. It'll be the usual set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Whens this on?

6pm this evening. If you want to go post on their FB page.

Not sure if its being recorded or going out live tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement