Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Its only the stupid cheats that get caught. Im only surprised that athletes are stupid enough to get caught. Get real guys near 100% of top athletes are doping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Such an emotional rollercoaster for DC. This has to be messing with his head again.

As for Jones, He is done. If all this is confirmed then his whole career is in question and any talk of him being the best should be abruptly silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Isn't this great news for DC. He is the champ again and the lose turns to a NC.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Beersmith wrote: »
    Isn't this great news for DC. He is the champ again and the lose turns to a NC.

He got knocked out by steroid-fuelled arsepiece. I doubt it feels like great news.

The worst thing is DC will probably become more hated by UFC fans by getting the title back. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Does DC get the title back here? or does it become vacant ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, there should be zero 'paper champ' accusations with this.

In other news, lets go JoJo!!!!

Dunno why link isn't working - JoJo Calderwood vs Bec Rawlins set for UFC Sydney

https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/900252525399605248

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yeah, there should be zero 'paper champ' accusations with this.

In other news, lets go JoJo!!!!

https://twitter.com/UFC_AUSNZ/status/900239189991501824s://twitter.com/UFC_AUSNZ/status/90023918999150182

Your link doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I would never question John Jones stupidity, but when did he take this steroid? How many times was he tested in the build up to the fight and it's only for the test on fight day that he pops? It's an oral steroid too I believe.

He has been tested 8 times this year, 5 of those tests took place in the 3rd quarter of the year, so between July and fight day I guess.

Again, I wouldn't question his stupidity but the timing and circumstances seem a tiny bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

dashoonage wrote: »
    Does DC get the title back here? or does it become vacant ?

It will be overturned to a No Contest which should mean the champ at the time (DC) never lost the belt. Or at least that's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Every fight im against Jones but every time he reels me back in.

I am done with him now, he is a scumbag, regardless of popping he ran from a hit a run with a pregnant woman in the car and then went back to get his fix to run off again.

DC's head must be all over the place. His only 2 losses are against this junky.

There goes Rumble payday for his comeback.

DC v Gus for the title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Inviere

Fookin' hell, what an absolute mess. Statement from his team:
    We are all at a complete loss for words right now. Jon, his trainers, his nutritionists and his entire camp have worked tirelessly and meticulously the past 12 months to avoid this exact situation. We are having the samples tested again to determine the validity or source of contamination. Jon is crushed by this news and we are doing whatever we can as a team, to support him.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/22/16187568/jon-jones-manager-camp-release-statement-on-positive-drug-test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

In light of two failed drug tests I feel Jones can be as good as disregarded at light heavyweight in terms of the division's history, this easily makes Cormier the GOAT in that weight division.

4 year suspension of he legit popped....surely career over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

We are all at a complete loss for words right now. Jon, his trainers, his nutritionists and his entire camp have worked tirelessly and meticulously the past 12 months to avoid this exact situation.

Sounds suspiciously like they were trying to cheat the drug test...

At this point id like of like DC to refuse the belt and move onto HW. Forget about the whole LHW saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

He couldn't just leave the dick pills alone could he?! Honestly the guy is scum tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ah you could spin it whatever way you want. Perfectly understandable after the first ban that they brought in all sorts of additional medical/nutritional oversight to make sure it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Anyone calling this w@nkstain the goat again are just ignorant.

I hope DC sues him and gets win money etc from UFC. Rest up and let them decide who is the contender and come back early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Anyone calling this w@nkstain the goat again are just ignorant.

I hope DC sues him and gets win money etc from UFC. Rest up and let them decide who is the contender and come back early next year.

There was no win money for that fight, DC got 1 mill no bonus and Jones got 500k no bonus. DC also got ppv points and Jones didn't.

He should get Jones 500k too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Something needs to be done where the results of these tests are coming back quicker IMO.

I know it's easy for me to say and I obviously have no idea how they could do it, but what real good is it 3 and a half weeks later?

Maybe a bit tin-foil hat-ish, but it is in the benefit of all concerned (except the opposition fighter) financially for the results to come back as late as possible. This way, the UFC still get their PPV buys and gate money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

There was no win money for that fight, DC got 1 mill no bonus and Jones got 500k no bonus. DC also got ppv points and Jones didn't.

He should get Jones 500k too though.

What if, DC sustained serious brain injury in that fight, is there any precedent of a criminal case being opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah I found that statement extremely strange. Almost like it admits previous usage too and that an effort has been made to rectify it.

That's what you get for having juice head turkeys advising you on strength + conditioning I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What if, DC sustained serious brain injury in that fight, is there any precedent of a criminal case being opened?

You would hope so, will have to see how the Mark Hunt case goes down, it could set precedent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I was literally talking to a mate about him last night and the potential move to HW.

As we were finishing up the convo, my mate says "Imagine if he did steroids again, what would ya think?", I laughed at that. I am not laughing now.

He should write a book, "How to totally ruin your career, Jon Jones guide to making a balls of it all".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Timing of detection and choice of steroid are really really odd. I don't doubt USADA but this does seem a little odd. Mis timing the cycle should not happen at that level.

It does, but it can also read like they were trying their damnedest to avoid anything that could show as a false positive too. I'd say it's pretty open & shut though, and probably throws DC right back into emotional turmoil again. If true, Jones should be shown the door for good. Even for DC though, it could have some lasting emotional impact on him, which could hinder him. He would benefit from a solid clear and dominant win or two after this, to restore confidence and belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He has killed the division. In that whomever is the champion will always thought of as second to Jones. So the champion will never be the undisputed champion of the division.

Cant believe he did this again. He is really one of those people who has it all but is their own worst enemy.

He has killed the division. In that whomever is the champion will always thought of as second to Jones. So the champion will never be the undisputed champion of the division.

How though? I feel he has killed his legacy, and anyone beaten by him, can now find solace in the fact that he likely beat them by cheating. DC will go down as the GOAT in that division now, and Jones will be remembered with shame, disappointment, and wasted potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Inviere wrote: »
    How though? I feel he has killed his legacy, and anyone beaten by him, can now find solace in the fact that he likely beat them by cheating. DC will go down as the GOAT in that division now, and Jones will be remembered with shame, disappointment, and wasted potential.

Jones slapped dc around. When he had the.belt first time it was an * in many peoples view, yo be the man you have to beat the man etc., after a vicious ko they are going to put belt on him for the second time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I dont think so personally.

I would guesstimate that a high number of the people Jones beat were also on PEDs. Especially in the pre USADA days.

Off the top of my head the below opponents of Jones have also tested positive.

Machida
    Belfort
    Bonner
    Sonnen
    Vera

I have my suspicions about those who were ex Pride fighters and around prior to USADA.

Its not like Jones was a bad wolf in a squeaky clean division. PEDs do not enhance skill and he was by far the most skilled fighter in the division.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement