Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I dont think so personally.

I would guesstimate that a high number of the people Jones beat were also on PEDs. Especially in the pre USADA days.

Off the top of my head the below opponents of Jones have also tested positive.

Machida
    Belfort
    Bonner
    Sonnen
    Vera

I have my suspicions about those who were ex Pride fighters and around prior to USADA.

Its not like Jones was a bad wolf in a squeaky clean division. PEDs do not enhance skill and he was by far the most skilled fighter in the division.

Machida got f*cked by USADA. Didn't even test positive, disclosed that he was on DHEA which is an over the counter supplement that does literally nothing and got banned for 2 years.

Jones slapped dc around. When he had the.belt first time it was an * in many peoples view, yo be the man you have to beat the man etc., after a vicious ko they are going to put belt on him for the second time?

Yes, because he tested positive. His achievements don't mean sh*t. He was probably juicing his entire career. Who gets caught twice..?

Can't wait for his next comeback in 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Defo cheated his whole career i feel. The osp fight was the only time he didnt juice hence the ****e performance. I reckon he was worried after such a poor performance and went back on the juice to beat dc

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hands up. I had starting to come around to the whole dick pills story.
    It wasn't so much that I believed he wasn't juicing. Just that it made no sense to me that a millionaire would be buying assessory drugs (via a teammate) from a dodgy website. I figured it's more likely that he's be on the latest gear if anything and the dick pills genuinely caused the flag.

Now it just like he's a idiot.

I doubt it be tainted supps excuse though.
    He posted clean results all camp. Then post weigh-in an old school oral steroid shows up. Depending n the detection time. The obvious excuse to roll with is that his hydrolyte was sabotaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sounds suspiciously like they were trying to cheat the drug test...
    Fighters with million dollar purses on the line should probably be doing that kinda of blood testing regardless of whether or not they are juicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Yeah was gonna bring up OSP fight and how poorly he was during that fight. DC statement was perfect and summed up his class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Mellor wrote: »
    Sounds suspiciously like they were trying to cheat the drug test...
    Fighters with million dollar purses on the line should probably be doing that kinda of blood testing regardless of whether or not they are juicing.

That's actually a very good point, never thought of that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Machida got f*cked by USADA. Didn't even test positive, disclosed that he was on DHEA which is an over the counter supplement that does literally nothing and got banned for 2 years.

DHEA is a hormone and it is on the banned USADA list. You can argue its potency but it does not mean it is not on the list.

Just because you can buy a product over the counter does not take away from the fact it is on the banned list. Depending on the country you can get a host of things over the counter that would be on the banned list.

Athletes should know what they are taking and if they are on a banned list of supplements that they will be tested for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

darced wrote: »
    I think DC will be delighted, he knows that Jones cheated to beat him probably twice. The thought in his head of always being second best to Jones is gone.

Really. I think not beating jones will always be used as a stick to beat him.

Personally i think jones beats dc everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Same thing I just read here, changes things definately re: the "set up" tale,

https://twitter.com/dimspace/status/900175256694005761

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

I assume the elite in every sport is doping anyway.

How does Jones let himself get caught with all his money and even has connections to the NFL and all their miracle drugs.

Oh well his comeback in four years should be epic.

DHEA is a hormone and it is on the banned USADA list. You can argue its potency but it does not mean it is not on the list.

Just because you can buy a product over the counter does not take away from the fact it is on the banned list. Depending on the country you can get a host of things over the counter that would be on the banned list.

Athletes should know what they are taking and if they are on a banned list of supplements that they will be tested for.

It wasn't on the prohibited list on the Spanish USADA website which Machida was using. It was obviously avoidable, but 2 years for a 'hormone' with no clinical benefits is ridiculously harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lukker- wrote: »
    It wasn't on the prohibited list on the Spanish USADA website which Machida was using. It was obviously avoidable, but 2 years for a 'hormone' with no clinical benefits is ridiculously harsh.

Especially since he didn't actually pop for it and just disclosed it to USADA himself after he realised it wasn't legal.

Not sure why you used ' ' on hormone. That's what it is...

I agree the punishment did not fit the crime.

Not sure why you used ' ' on hormone. That's what it is...

I agree the punishment did not fit the crime.

It's not a hormone in the sense that testosterone or oestrogen are hormones, but a parent hormone which is more of a precursor. A pre-cursor to a hormone that prevents dry mouth and mild depression at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Really. I think not beating jones will always be used as a stick to beat him.

Personally i think jones beats dc everytime

A juiced up Jones.

It's not a hormone in the sense that testosterone or oestrogen are hormones, but a parent hormone which is more of a precursor. A pre-cursor to a hormone that prevents dry mouth and mild depression at best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydroepiandrosterone

But it is classed as a hormone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Rousey gone
    McGregor boxing
    Jones looks to be gone

That's very bad for the UFC PPV buys so as I think nearly all, if not all, fights above 400K PPVs have been with one of those 3 in the last few years.

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

From looking at the above, which could be complete BS, it looks like Miocic is the only active fighter, bar McGregor, who's done more than 400K PPVs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The way forward for the ufc i feel is to put on stacked cards like we saw in dallas earlier this year at ufc 211 and at ufc 214 last month. Ufc 217 is looking very tasty and not just because gsp is returning but because the card as whole is looking good.

May have to cut down more on the fight nights if it was to work though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Cody looks promising star wise. A win against TJ will help a lot. Does seem a little empty between the ears though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Rousey gone
    McGregor boxing
    Jones looks to be gone

That's very bad for the UFC PPV buys so as I think nearly all, if not all, fights above 400K PPVs have been with one of those 3 in the last few years.

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate

From looking at the above, which could be complete BS, it looks like Miocic is the only active fighter, bar McGregor, who's done more than 400K PPVs.

And even that card was CM Punk's debut which more than likely helped buys enormously. Dark times ahead in terms of buys for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    And even that card was CM Punk's debut which more than likely helped buys enormously. Dark times ahead in terms of buys for the UFC.

Yup 211 also headlined by Stipe was a much better card for an MMA fan and did 300k is all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

kwestfan08 wrote: »

He must be due a second shot now, especially with the Jones news.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The fact that jones admitted after the fight that he beat DC the first time, off steroids, and beat him the second time, off steroids just shows his level of stupidity. This new revelation is no surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Fromvert wrote: »
    He must be due a second shot now, especially with the Jones news.

Duke Roufus had up on instagram that he's fighting again. Against who and when is still a mystery though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXOaQKdls7T/?hl=en&taken-by=roufusport

Definitely plausible.

It could have been a designer version of Turinabol, with a few compounds changed but they caught wind in and managed to nab in the pre fight with a specific test.

It could also be that the masking agent he was using (a good masking agent can be the expensive part of juicing for professional athletes) stopped working and it showed up while he was cutting weight. The masking agent might have stripped from his body while he was cutting weight and the new test catches usage pretty far back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Double whammy, Maia gets back on the win column and Colby gets put to sleep.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/900464832469708800

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement