Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You would think that's exactly who the UFC would want to feed Cyborg. Build up Cyborg for a potential Rousey (or Tate) showdown.
    If they only cared about Cyborg sure. As it could potentially end Cat given the issues she is dealing with.

Maybe they don't give a crap about Cat. But even so, it feels very dumb to write off Zat for the sake a huge liability (Cyborg).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Cyborg should 100% be fed someone else. Kat could be a huge star in the UFC, I mean she is a marketing dream = attractive, tragic back story, single mum and a good personalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just checking start times for the UFC tomorrow night and not sure if it's been discussed yet but what's the story with all the prelims being on Fight Pass?

Now, I'm not complaining because there's some good fights on there but why have Ross Pearson/Laprise as the second overall fight rather than leading him into the main card?

If the fights are on Fight Pass anyway, it shouldn't make much of a difference unless they're doing it for the supposed benefit of European/UK fans to watch him?

In the States only the first two prelims are on fightpass, the rest on FS1.

They’re continuing with their push of fightpass with decent fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Foxtrol wrote: »

Bit weird. Maybe it's a regional thing then.

EDIT: Just checked the US portion of the UFC site. Prelims are as you say, on FS1. BT must not have the prelims for this event so. Strange.

EDIT Part deux: BT Sports 2 do indeed have the prelims. As you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

14murphy wrote: »
    Anyone got a link for this bet ?

Sorry it's on Bet365, not Paddy Power
    Got a link ? Can't find it on there mobile app.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Just checking start times for the UFC tomorrow night and not sure if it's been discussed yet but what's the story with all the prelims being on Fight Pass?

Now, I'm not complaining because there's some good fights on there but why have Ross Pearson/Laprise as the second overall fight rather than leading him into the main card?

If the fights are on Fight Pass anyway, it shouldn't make much of a difference unless they're doing it for the supposed benefit of European/UK fans to watch him?
    Foxtrol wrote: »

At UFC 196 Diego Sanchez & Jim Miller were on FP pre lims. This fight easily could have been higher up the card or even on main card. The fight was referred to as the "Fight Pass main event" so it seems like they're trying to push FP ubscriptions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I like Uriah Hall and Anderson Silva but as a match up I am not excited for it at all. I thought they would have waited for Belfort/Souza to play out first and then give Silva the winner for that at UFC 200 or a future Brazilian show.

I'm only interested in it because I remember 3 years ago when Hall was smashing people in TUF, they were talking of him as the one who might finally dethrone Silva

Fight will have a bit of a different feel to it now mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Two counter strikers who avoid initiating striking. It could be a disaster of fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fromvert wrote: »
    Two counter strikers who avoid initiating striking. It could be a disaster of fight.

Absolutely, I can see a lot of dancing and posturing going on with neither man being willing to lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Seery said something should be announced soon for him thank ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

ASOT wrote: »

Legend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Ha only watching his fight there against Harris in Dublin hopefullys its in rotterdam,hes a seriously underated mma fighter his striking and grappling are v decent I was only saying it to my mate there he would make a great mma coach think he teaches boxing in ryano atm.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Ha only watching his fight there against Harris in Dublin hopefullys its in rotterdam,hes a seriously underated mma fighter his striking and grappling are v decent I was only saying it to my mate there he would make a great mma coach think he teaches boxing in ryano atm.

One if the nicest blokes iv ever met, I'm good mates with his nephew and anytime he's around he's as down to ear as anything, proper working class work ethic from him aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rotterdam I wonder? Him and Gunnar on the card would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Paully D wrote: »
    Rotterdam I wonder? Him and Gunnar on the card would be cool.

I posted about Seery/Rotterdam in the R'dam thread few days ago, was a bit tongue in cheek but fingers crossed behind my back for it :D

Its looking a very decent card building, pity Mousasi isn't going to be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Im gonna have a wild guess and say either Jones or DC get ''injured'' and its postponed to ufc 200,got a hunch.

Almeida v Garbrandt is the main event for Fight Night 88 (29th May). Good matchup, but hopefully Almedia will destroy him. I think Almeida and Sterling could be at the top of that division for a long time, I just don't see Garbrandt in that tier yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Almeida v Garbrandt is the main event for Fight Night 88 (29th May). Good matchup, but hopefully Almedia will destroy him. I think Almeida and Sterling could be at the top of that division for a long time, I just don't see Garbrandt in that tier yet.

Cody has good reach for a bantamweight, and he's a good enough striker to make use of it. I think Almeida will destroy him though but Cody could get a title shot down the line, he's a good talent and based on what he did at UFC 189, an absolute gent as well.

Surprised Barao/Stephens isnt the main event, Almedia will get another highlight reel ko id say, especially if cody tries to stand and fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

martyos121 wrote: »
    Cody has good reach for a bantamweight, and he's a good enough striker to make use of it. I think Almeida will destroy him though but Cody could get a title shot down the line, he's a good talent and based on what he did at UFC 189, an absolute gent as well.

Something about Cody Garbrandt just makes me my teeth itch, that's how much I dislike him.

In fact he's my last favorite BW. And that includes Carraway.

There, I said it.

Hope Almeida beats him well. And I think he will over the whole three rounds to a unanimous decision.

• Advertisement

Bisping v Sonnen in a grappling match in Phoenix tonight. It could be fun to watch, though I'd agree with Bisping completely re: steroids:
    "If there was PED testing, I'm assuming Chael will blow the lab up," said Bisping, whose bout with Sonnen will be streamed live at URShow.tv. "I'm under no illusions, I'm expecting a big, strong, juiced out Chael, the ‘Celebrity Apprentice' doesn't have USADA involved in it, so there's really no restrictions for Chael. Myself, I'm still on the USADA/UFC regulations."

Bisping, of course, is coming off his unanimous decision victory over Anderson Silva on Feb. 27, a quick turnaround after a grueling five-round battle. In fact, to hear Bisping tell it on the MMA Hour, it doesn't appears he's paid a ton of attention to the particulars of the match.

"I don't know, I haven't even read the fine print, I don't know if we're fighting in a cage or a ring or what," Bisping said. "I don't care about the details. It doesn't matter, it could be in someone's garage. I've been wanting to get a hold of Chael Sonnen for quite some time and I get to do it this weekend."

Sonnen defeated Bisping via unanimous decision on a UFC on FOX card in Jan. 2012. Bisping can't get him in the Octagon, since Sonnen remains under suspension until July for multiple PED violations. So for Bisping, this is the next best thing.

"I owe that guy for a fight in 2012," Bisping said. "And I'm finally getting to take a bit of revenge on him."

John_D80 wrote: »
    Something about Cody Garbrandt just makes me my teeth itch, that's how much I dislike him.

In fact he's my last favorite BW. And that includes Carraway.

There, I said it.

Hope Almeida beats him well. And I think he will over the whole three rounds to a unanimous decision.

I didnt like him myself but then i watched this

Still dont like him to much but hes wayyyyyyyyyy above Duckaway

Bisping v Sonnen in a grappling match in Phoenix tonight. It could be fun to watch, though I'd agree with Bisping completely re: steroids:

LOL. Bisping is some man to stir the shít in fairness. Never lost it.

Lold at that quote, Roy Jones Jr is the main event, Dan Severn was supposed to fight Ken Shamrock but that didnt happen due to the suspension, then Tank Abbott was brought in but he failed a medical.

I didnt like him myself but then i watched this

Still dont like him to much but hes wayyyyyyyyyy above Duckaway

Hands in the air here and withdrawing anything negative I have ever said about Garbrandt. Will never EVER root against him again.

ASOT how did you know my weakness?? :-)

Hands in the air here and withdrawing anything negative I have ever said about Garbrandt. Will never EVER root against him again.

ASOT how did you know my weakness?? :-)

Literally was giving him stick in the run up to this fight to the lads saying how he seemed like an asshole..... then this video pops up and he goes up a few pegs in my book, true to his word Maddux walked out that night it was unreal!

Literally was giving him stick in the run up to this fight to the lads saying how he seemed like an asshole..... then this video pops up and he goes up a few pegs in my book, true to his word Maddux walked out that night it was unreal!

Got me right in the feels so it did. When his mom started talking, that was it for me.

WAR CODY!! :-)

Got me right in the feels so it did. When his mom started talking, that was it for me.

WAR CODY!! :-)

He was also bangng PVZ for a while, fair play to him...... Almedia may rearrange his face though.

Bisping/Sonnen ended in a draw. But somehow I don't think either guy was taking it very seriously.

At the same event:

- Shannon Ritch beat Marvick Harvey. Never heard of Harvey but I know of Shannon Ritch. Over 120 pro fights (mostly losses) and never been to a decision AFAIK.
    - Roy Jones knocked out some fan that won a competition to get in the ring with him.
    - Rey Mysterio beat Kurt Angle. FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Bisping/Sonnen ended in a draw. But somehow I don't think either guy was taking it very seriously.

At the same event:

- Shannon Ritch beat Marvick Harvey. Never heard of Harvey but I know of Shannon Ritch. Over 120 pro fights (mostly losses) and never been to a decision AFAIK.
    - Roy Jones knocked out some fan that won a competition to get in the ring with him.
    - Rey Mysterio beat Kurt Angle. FFS.

What kind of messed up event was that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement