Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Taylor could easily meet Cyborg at 140. She goes up 5lb, Cyborg comes down 5. Bring it on.

Cybord wants to fight at 154 in boxing apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Would there really be more money in boxing than in MMA for Cyborg?

I mean outside of the elite like McGregor vs Mayweather is there really much money to be made for MMA fighters crossing over? Especially women's boxing.

I'd have thought that Cyborg made a lot more than Taylor in their last fights.

Admittedly I have no clue what kind of money Taylor is making but Cyborg made $200k basic in her last fight and presumably a lot more adding sponsorship and PPV points if she gets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The 2 women on the undercard of the MayMac payout was 5k defeats 3.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Heather Hardy did a good interview on the MMA Hour awhile ago and by all cases it seems women make far more money in MMA than Boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

ASOT wrote: »
    Cybord wants to fight at 154 in boxing apparently

Which doesn't make sense. Because she's not going to make any real money fighting the bums in that division. Avoiding Hammer and Taylor.

Katie would smash her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Which doesn't make sense. Because she's not going to make any real money fighting the bums in that division. Avoiding Hammer and Taylor.

Katie would smash her.
    I'm assuming you are completely unfamiliar with Cyborgs weight history.
    There's no way she easily makes 140 all things considered. She made 140 once in MMA and it was a huge struggle, potentially damaging. 145 isn't exactly easy either. Anything below that is off limits for her imo.
    The laws of physics and biology of course apply, and she physically could drop mass, for an easy cut to 140, or even 135. But she won't do it. She has a strong attachment to her size and power and just refuses to give it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Will never happen but I'd love to see what Andy Ryan or JK could do with Katie giving her maybe 4 years to get her ready for MMA. Sinead Kavanagh is doing ok with her transition over from boxing and Katie was light years ahead of her in pure boxing fundamentals.

It might change but the ceiling for earnings in MMA is far higher for women than it is currently in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Will never happen but I'd love to see what Andy Ryan or JK could do with Katie giving her maybe 4 years to get her ready for MMA. Sinead Kavanagh is doing ok with her transition over from boxing and Katie was light years ahead of her in pure boxing fundamentals.

It might change but the ceiling for earnings in MMA is far higher for women than it is currently in boxing.

Taylor should stick to boxing, bit late for her to transition IMO and she's pushing to improve the ruleset for women in boing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cowboy vs Till confirmed as the main event for Gdansk. :D

What a change from Santos vs Materla :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The issue people who have professional fights in another art when they transition to MMA is that they almost always have to go straight to pro MMA.

Say a guy has a number of pro boxing or muay thai fights. He is going to have a lot of issues getting matched as and 0-0 MMA fighter, or even getting matched at an amateur level. Chances are they will get matched against someone seasoned, and more than likely at a pro level. These day fighters can have 15-20 ammy fights before going pro. 8-10 years ago in Ireland you just turned pro and that was that with no previous fight experience.

It makes it very difficult to cut your teeth in a new sport when you dont have the option to fight amateur to work things out.

It can be very off putting for someone who is a confident pro level at their art to go into MMA and get tooled by a relative journey man in MMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The issue people who have professional fights in another art when they transition to MMA is that they almost always have to go straight to pro MMA.

Say a guy has a number of pro boxing or muay thai fights. He is going to have a lot of issues getting matched as and 0-0 MMA fighter, or even getting matched at an amateur level. Chances are they will get matched against someone seasoned, and more than likely at a pro level. These day fighters can have 15-20 ammy fights before going pro. 8-10 years ago in Ireland you just turned pro and that was that with no previous fight experience.

It makes it very difficult to cut your teeth in a new sport when you dont have the option to fight amateur to work things out.

It can be very off putting for someone who is a confident pro level at their art to go into MMA and get tooled by a relative journey man in MMA
    A guy with a string of pro boxing/muay thai shouldn't be anywhere near a 0-0 ammy fight imo. Same goes for a jiu jitsu black belt.
    But a 15 fight amateur should be happy to take on a 0-0 Muay Thai fighter as one of his last fights before he turns pro. In the past straight pro was the only option. But the fact ammys have more fights these days benefits the situation imo.

Ronda had 3 or 4 ammy fight before she went pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Manuwa says he will be fighting in Gdansk. They've really turned that card around.

Villante is the only ranked opponent not matched, so it must be him I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ugh you made me click into after hours :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I am a big McGregor fan and a frequent wanker, but I've wanked long before I heard of UFC. I'm sure there is similar drop off in **** during big soccer, American football games ECT.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ugh you made me click into after hours :(

Sorry I felt dirty too, but it appeared on the homepage list and I clicked on the title out of curiosity. Have a long hot shower with a scouring brush you'll be fine in a few days.

One of my favorite UFC fighters is RDA, Looking forward to watching him later tonight, He's stepping up a weight class to fight Magny. There is a huge height different between the two me. I feel RDA's best bet is to take him to the ground, take away the height advance, It will be interesting to see how he approches the first exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

RDA will surely try to leg kick the ****e out of Magny the way Larkin did. Larkin absolutely butchered his legs. RDA's last fight was at WW btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

One of my favorite UFC fighters is RDA, Looking forward to watching him later tonight, He's stepping up a weight class to fight Magny. There is a huge height different between the two me. I feel RDA's best bet is to take him to the ground, take away the height advance, It will be interesting to see how he approches the first exchange

You know he fought Welterweight against Saffedeine in his win earlier this year too right?

callaway92 wrote: »
    You know he fought Welterweight against Saffedeine in his win earlier this year too right?

Yeah forgot about that fight. Was thinking of the Ferguson fight as the last one, but your right he did fight some nobody since then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeah forgot about that fight. Was thinking of the Ferguson fight as the last one, but your right he did fight some nobody since then

Ehm... ok

I absolutely cannot wait for this fight! Huge uphill battle for Rose but she can get a sneaky sub I think. No way she wins if she stays standing.

https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/907575625908719616

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'll be getting my ticket tomorrow hopefully :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fair play to the ufc. Thats a fantastic fight card, lets just hope it sticks together

Rose is going to get her ass handed to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

As Zero-Cool already mentioned Rose has no chance on the feet whatsoever in my opinion .. Rose by sub is a possibility however.

That MSG card is shaping up very nicely indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

ianob7 wrote: »

That MSG card is shaping up very nicely indeed

If Holloway v Edgar gets added it'll be an unbelievable card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

maximoose wrote: »
    If Holloway v Edgar gets added it'll be an unbelievable card

I dont think it can now. That would be 4 titles... we could see aldo and cub land there though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Think they should ad another 1 or 2 big fights. At least one of the fights announced already won't go ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement