Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Ah don't be jinxing it already ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Trying some reverse psychology with the MMA gods. I'm usually too hopefull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

maximoose wrote: »
    If Holloway v Edgar gets added it'll be an unbelievable card

Cant see that happening. Strong rumours that their to headline ufc 218 in early december

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Think they should ad another 1 or 2 big fights. At least one of the fights announced already won't go ahead.

Micky Gall is being added to the card so the can be given to the MMA gods to save the rest of the card

dashoonage wrote:
    Micky Gall is being added to the card so the can be given to the MMA gods to save the rest of the card

I like Micky Gall though. Hopefully Bisping or Gsp pulls out. Joke of a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Rockhold to ko branch in 15 seconds on Saturday and be added to 217 as GSP replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dont get this joke of a fight mentality that people have.

Its the goat gsp returning to fight bisping. I cannot wait to see it although no love vs tj is the fight i most want to see

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd have no problem with Bisping vs GSP, if Bisping hadn't dodged every legit contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rockhold to ko branch in 15 seconds on Saturday and be added to 217 as GSP replacement.

Who'll replace Rockhold though? :D

Price Breakdown for UFC 217 before taxes and fees
    P1 Floor $1256
    P1 Riser $1256
    P2 Lower $756
    P3 Lower $606
    P4 Lower $456
    P5 Upper $306
    P6 Upper $206
    P7 Upper $106

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

dashoonage wrote: »
    Price Breakdown for UFC 217 before taxes and fees
    P1 Floor $1256
    P1 Riser $1256
    P2 Lower $756
    P3 Lower $606
    P4 Lower $456
    P5 Upper $306
    P6 Upper $206
    P7 Upper $106

Here is the comparison to last years MSG card. I got a P4 and was impressed with the view, thought I would be far away but there must not be a bad seat in the house!

P1 = $1500
    P2 = $1000
    P3 = $800
    P4 = $600
    P5 = $450
    P6 = $250
    P7 = $100

Here is the comparison to last years MSG card. I got a P4 and was impressed with the view, thought I would be far away but there must not be a bad seat in the house!

P1 = $1500
    P2 = $1000
    P3 = $800
    P4 = $600
    P5 = $450
    P6 = $250
    P7 = $100

I was P4 last year...

I'm undecided about this year. P4 was fine last year...what i really liked about it was the short walk to the bar/food and no queues :P

Its prob going to be P3/4 in the pre sales tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

P1 = $1500
    P2 = $1000
    P3 = $800
    P4 = $600
    P5 = $450
    P6 = $250
    P7 = $100

Pretty sure there was virtually no tickets available at $100/$250. The ones right up the back were $450.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The GOAT is dead, long live the GOAT

Bones sample B came back positive for steroid.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/12/16291440/jon-jones-b-sample-comes-back-positive-for-steroid

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Based on the story they are spinning, the B sample was supposed to comeback positive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Surely him v DC will get overturned into a NC now?

I'd still like to see DC tell them keep there belt and go to HW

Mellor wrote: »
    Based on the story they are spinning, the B sample was supposed to comeback positive

Are they sticking with the 'spiked/tainted supplements' excuse? Surely that won't hold up as he is a repeat offender. Hopefully they won't take too long to get a hearing together, give DC some closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Are they sticking with the 'spiked/tainted supplements' excuse? Surely that won't hold up as he is a repeat offender. Hopefully they won't take too long to get a hearing together, give DC some closure.
    I think they've gone with "something must be tainted" again.
    I was expecting "I must have been sabotaged" after he passed various tests in the build up. But passed doesn't mean clean I guess. No matter how it got there, it was actually there so requesting the B sample was really a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

His prosthetic cock with clean piss wasn't available that day

• Advertisement

Was really looking forward to Gus schooling John, guess it'll never happen now.

Will the title just be handed back to DC or will he have to fight for it against a contender?

Was really looking forward to Gus schooling John, guess it'll never happen now.

Will the title just be handed back to DC or will he have to fight for it against a contender?

He should really be handed the belt back and last fight be turned to a NC but who knows, maybe Bisping will fight him for it after GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

What's the chances that he had something spiked by someone close to him to screw him over? Does he need to have injested it several times or would once be enough for it to show it up?
    I've no clue about supplements/steroids and drug testing so that might be garbage to ye lads that would know.
    It just seems strange to me that he was passing all the tests leading up to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

RebelSoul wrote: »
    What's the chances that he had something spiked by someone close to him to screw him over? Does he need to have injested it several times or would once be enough for it to show it up?
    I've no clue about supplements/steroids and drug testing so that might be garbage to ye lads that would know.
    It just seems strange to me that he was passing all the tests leading up to the fight.

Zero, Once a cheat always a cheat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He singlehandedly ruined his career, pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

All I can tell you is I had a higher juice concentrate than Tropicana and he pushed me around like Mack truck vs. a Volvo

I love this quote from Chael Sonnen on fighting Jones. His legacy stood on shaky ground after the dick pill excuse but it holds far less significance now tbh. Such a shame but I'm glad USADA exist in moments like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

RebelSoul wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/29/sport-doping-study-revealing-wider-usage-published-after-scandalous-delay

2011 anonymous survey of athletes competing in the World Championships in athletics.

43% admitted anonymously to having doped within the last 12 months.

0.5% of athletes competing at that Worlds were caught.

The reality is repeatedly passing tests is not unusual for cheaters and testing always lags far behind usage. Cheating remains a viable proposition that pays off in nearly all sports because athletes will always find ways around testing, especially with the use of drugs that aren't easily detectable. For years it was EPO, nowadays it's designer steroids with short half-lifes.

The substance Jones allegedly popped for is Turinabol. Up until 2013 it was almost undetectable in the sense they could only detect it if it was recently ingested within the previous week or two. Athletes would skirt around that fairly easily given most are only tested a handful of times a year.

Then in 2013 a combined effort from German and Russian (cough!) labs came up with a new urine test for Turinabol that claimed could detect its usage within the last 6 months. That was a game-changer because athletes being tested 4 times a year it would now be extremely difficult to time it to beat the tests.

The issue is this - as with all new scientific testing, there's a period of years before new testing gets accepted as the scientific norm. This new method wasn't in use by USADA or WADA until very recently so an athlete who is familiar with testing procedures could reasonably deduce they were still dealing with the 1-2 week window.

Also the fact that Jones passed a load of tests in 2017 doesn't mean a whole lot when the majority of those tests were blood tests. Turinabol testing is obviously urine-only.

TL;DR - Of course Jones *could* have been spiked and he *could* have been extremely unlucky with a tainted supplement...again! But the likelihood that he's just a stone cold cheater who has been caught (again!) is pretty high.

His career earnings to date are well over $20 million and it's reasonable to suspect he was cheating the whole time. Even if he is facing a 4 year ban, so what? They're not going to take his career earnings off him. Athletes will continue to cheat because they'll look at the likes of Jones and think "Hmmm I might make $20 million in my 20's then sit out some of my 30's OR I might get into the UFC and lose my first 2 fights and be cut and end up working in McDonalds".

Obviously the flip-side is they could be unlucky and get busted early in their career and face a long ban. But the reward for cheating massively outweighs the risk. I don't agree with Nick and Nate that everyone is on steroids but there's no question that USADA are only catching a tiny % of cheaters.

If nearly all of the anonymous athlete surveys are pegging usage between 20-40%, you'd expect to see between 80-200 UFC athletes caught, instead we're over 2 years into USADA and they've barely caught anyone relative to those numbers.

If Jon Jones was paying attention, the UFC caught little-known welterweight Viscardi Andrade in March this year for a similar steroid that was also previously hard to detect using new urine testing. Chances are he wasn't paying attention.

Jones has lost all benefit of doubt a long time ago and hiding behind his Jesus BS isn't going to get him out of this one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I can help but just shake my head when I think about Jon Jones.

All things considered he never lost a fight, and would have gone down the all time best fighter of his time and probably the best fighter of the modern era.... he just kept f'ing it up for himself.

anyone pick up 217 tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I can help but just shake my head when I think about Jon Jones.

All things considered he never lost a fight, and would have gone down the all time best fighter of his time and probably the best fighter of the modern era.... he just kept f'ing it up for himself.

But if it wasn't for his f-ups with PEDs would he still have been as good a fighter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement