Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/aug/29/sport-doping-study-revealing-wider-usage-published-after-scandalous-delay

2011 anonymous survey of athletes competing in the World Championships in athletics.

43% admitted anonymously to having doped within the last 12 months.

0.5% of athletes competing at that Worlds were caught.
    Those are pretty misleading statistics though. The 43% pass tests while on drugs, or where they simply "clean" when tested.
    What percent of athlete were actually tested? Maybe it was only 1-2% so catching 0.5% makes sense.

The accuracy of the 47% is questionable, by the researchers admission.

Then in 2013 a combined effort from German and Russian (cough!) labs came up with a new urine test for Turinabol that claimed could detect its usage within the last 6 months. That was a game-changer because athletes being tested 4 times a year it would now be extremely difficult to time it to beat the tests.

The issue is this - as with all new scientific testing, there's a period of years before new testing gets accepted as the scientific norm. This new method wasn't in use by USADA or WADA until very recently so an athlete who is familiar with testing procedures could reasonably deduce they were still dealing with the 1-2 week window.
    It's in use a few years at this point not just recently. The Russian doping scandal in 2015 was largely due to this new test.

Frank Mir (Jones's teammate) popped in 2015 for...surprise surprise...Turinabol.
    The new test was not a secret.
    Also the fact that Jones passed a load of tests in 2017 doesn't mean a whole lot when the majority of those tests were blood tests. Turinabol testing is obviously urine-only.
    The majority were probably actually urine tests. That's the standard test.

Regardless, the tests he passed on the 5th and 6th of July were urine - confirmed by USADA. Passing doesn't necessarily mean it didn't contain Turinabol. They may not have done that test that time. If not, he might fail a retest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Whats strange is that even after the latest positive drugs test from Jones, Dana White and others were still going on about him being the best fighter in the world.

How can they still give him credit when he has been caught for drugs again, how many other times was he using and got away with it?

Surely his legacy in the sport should be severely damaged, his accolades tainted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

But if it wasn't for his f-ups with PEDs would he still have been as good a fighter?

See OSP fight maybe?

I'd say a lot of it could be mental too, juicing for so long until USADA came in, he might think he can't win without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lads the osp fight being **** doesn't mean he wasn't on PEDs. PEDs Don't improve your skill, they just make you stronger, faster or give you endurance (or numb pain).

The Jones who fought osp wasn't boring because he was off PEDs, he was boring Because he decided to not take risks and risk getting tagged by a freak athlete with ridiculous power.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought I read somewhere that the one he popped for increased aggression?

Alves out of his fight this weekend aginst Mike Perry for 'undisclosed reasons'. Would have been a great scrap an all!

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/13/16303482/thiago-alves-out-ufc-pittsburgh-fight-mike-perry

Lads the osp fight being **** doesn't mean he wasn't on PEDs. PEDs Don't improve your skill, they just make you stronger, faster or give you endurance (or numb pain).

Strength, speed, endurance and not feeling pain as much are the most important things in fighting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Jessie Taylor flagged now ah feck it was looking forward to see him in ufc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Taylor looked roided to the gills no surprise he popped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Going to my first ever UFC event during a trip to Tokyo later this month. UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.

Anybody have any advice on what to expect?

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Jessie Taylor flagged now ah feck it was looking forward to see him in ufc

Ah **** sake!! Beaming he won TUF and was really rooting for him.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Alves out of his fight this weekend aginst Mike Perry for 'undisclosed reasons'. Would have been a great scrap an all!

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/13/16303482/thiago-alves-out-ufc-pittsburgh-fight-mike-perry

Nice!

https://twitter.com/PlatinumPerry/status/908058245251715073

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The Jones who fought osp wasn't boring because he was off PEDs, he was boring Because he decided to not take risks and risk getting tagged by a freak athlete with ridiculous power.

Greg Jackson said himself, Jones isn't a naturally gifted fighter who'll adapt his game himself mid fight. What he does in the cage has been meticulously planned during camp. He's a fighter who needs to be programmed for a specific opponent. Jackson said it would be the only short notice fight Jones would ever take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Delighted. Platinum has really won me over after the racist ****e his corner was spouting in his first UFC fight. Entertaining as hell and with legit lights out power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Love Mike Perry. The man is a complete idiot but one of the most exciting fighters to watch in the sport i feel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Find Perry to be a complete moron. Jouban exposed just how limited he is as a fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ricero wrote: »
    Love Mike Perry. The man is a complete idiot but one of the most exciting fighters to watch in the sport i feel

I don't mind personality, but I think he'd get dismantled by any top 10 guy. Has he beaten a top 15 opponent? I think Ellenberger may have somehow been there at the time, even though he has lost his last 6 of his last 8.

Find Perry to be a complete moron. Jouban exposed just how limited he is as a fighter.

Still only 25 and has serious power in his hands. The Jouban fight was a learning curve for him you would hope. Went chasing for the finish all fight and was out pointed

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that the one he popped for increased aggression?
    Steroids and aggression/roid rage is largely overstated I think. It might make people more aggressive in day to day scenarios, it might not also, the evidence is shakey. But I don't think that automatically applies to a fight scenario.

Strength, speed, endurance and not feeling pain as much are the most important things in fighting!
    The above would require multiple drugs, not just steroids or some designer PED. Those attributes would all add slight benefits when fighting. But none of them are the most important aspect, not even close.

• Advertisement

DC reinstated as the light heavyweight champion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Mellor wrote: »
    The above would require multiple drugs, not just steroids or some designer PED. Those attributes would all add slight benefits when fighting. But none of them are the most important aspect, not even close.

Ah I wouldn't say slight now. A better gas tank is often the difference in a lot of fights. JJ is known for his very high output from rounds 1 through 5. Also unnatural strength enhancements could have enabled his ability to be able to out muscle and stuff terribly strong wrestlers like DC. Some of his opponents have noted his surprisingly freakish strength.

A few commentators have noted Turanibol is usually taken as part of a stack. He could have used a whole range of stuff.

Ah I wouldn't say slight now. A better gas tank is often the difference in a lot of fights.
    Being the deciding factor at doesn't exclude something from being a relatively small advantage. At elite level in sports marginal gains are everything.
    The strength, stamina, pain blocking are all majorly secondary aspects to skill. I'm not aware of any PEDs that can improve fighting skill sets. That was the point being above.
    Take some elite guy from an untested sport, taking all the PEDs he wants. Bigger, faster, stronger by every physical attribute. He'd have his ass handed to him by a smaller, weaker, chubby MMA fighter from the prelims everytime

JJ is known for his very high output from rounds 1 through 5. Also unnatural strength enhancements could have enabled his ability to be able to out muscle and stuff terribly strong wrestlers like DC. Some of his opponents have noted his surprisingly freakish strength.

A few commentators have noted Turanibol is usually taken as part of a stack. He could have used a whole range of stuff.
    Turinabol would improve strength absolutely, but not gastank (that's more EPO). Just to be clear, I'm not saying that steroids didn't or couldn't make a difference in a fight. Of course they could. I'm saying that overall abilty is largely skill based. Jones looking shïte against OSP was he fought shïte. He didn't forget how to fight because he was clean.

Bodybuilders typically stack oral steroids like Turinabol with other steroids and drugs. But not sure if untested bodybuilders are all that relevant to athletes though. I'd be looking to the Russians personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aarondoc

Any one going over to 217?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

aarondoc wrote: »
    Any one going over to 217?

me!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aarondoc

dashoonage wrote: »
    me!

Don't think many Irish will be there since Conor isn't fighting so the more the better ðŸ˜႒

aarondoc wrote: »
    Don't think many Irish will be there since Conor isn't fighting so the more the better ðŸ˜႒

Na probably not. Not many of the lads that were there last time knew there was anyone else other than Conor! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

Joseph Duffy is strongly rumoured to be on 217 against James Vick so you'll likely have someone Irish to shout for.

Joseph Duffy is strongly rumoured to be on 217 against James Vick so you'll likely have someone Irish to shout for.

Token Irish guy haha I'm sure there will be huge Irish support even if not many come from Ireland

• Advertisement

Tis grand lads...ive been practicing cheering for people who arent Irish as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement