Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Joseph Duffy is strongly rumoured to be on 217 against James Vick so you'll likely have someone Irish to shout for.

Vick has said his contract is signed and he's waiting for the announcement, wonder what the delay is? Maybe they're gonna announce a few fights at once for the prelims I suppose.

Big fight for Duffy on a big stage if this comes to be true, Vick is no joke and his size alone makes him a difficult opponent. Duffy should have the better hands though, I'd have him as favourite.

A win against Vick could hopefully get him a ranked opponent next, I really think he could push into the top of the division with a few good match ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dashoonage wrote:
    Tis grand lads...ive been practicing cheering for people who arent Irish as well!

Ole ole ole ole

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

dashoonage wrote: »
    Tis grand lads...ive been practicing cheering for people who arent Irish as well!

There's only one Gadzhimurad Antigulov
    And there's no fighter better
    And he's gonna...ah fcuk it it's no use dash. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gamebred wrote: »
    Taylor looked roided to the gills no surprise he popped.

Silly shyte. Like many others I was really pleased that he won and bought into the whole redemption story that made the season great.

Does this mean they overturn his TUF finale win and he loses the cheque???

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZEqSykBN78/?hl=en
    Life can be such a roller coaster. I think sometimes you have to just take a moment and breathe it in. You never know what's gonna come your way. You try and handle it the best way you can. One thing that has been amazing is the support from you the fans. I have never felt so much love. It's crazy because this all happened when I lost. Guys now I call upon you to take a breathe, lay off of Jones. Let him and his team figure out what's going on and what happened. I was down and some may have kicked me but the majority of you showed compassion and love. After the fight Jones showed compassion, regardless of what has happened as humans we must show compassion. Jon is not on this ride alone, remember this man has a family. Let's respect that. You don't show ur support for me by hurting others. Again I thank you for ur unbelievable support and I trust that you guys will come thru again. DC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Mellor wrote: »
    The above would require multiple drugs, not just steroids or some designer PED. Those attributes would all add slight benefits when fighting. But none of them are the most important aspect, not even close.

Ah I wouldn't say slight now. A better gas tank is often the difference in a lot of fights. JJ is known for his very high output from rounds 1 through 5. Also unnatural strength enhancements could have enabled his ability to be able to out muscle and stuff terribly strong wrestlers like DC. Some of his opponents have noted his surprisingly freakish strength.

A few commentators have noted Turanibol is usually taken as part of a stack. He could have used a whole range of stuff.

Commentators have also come out and said that it's also a fairly easy PED to pop for. There's a nice succinct summary from rogan's last podcast with SC. Apparently (not saying it's gospel as nothing is in this sorta discussion) it's a major problem in MLB, athletes popping left right and centre by virtue of the fact that it's so widely spread via diff avenues

Anyway as guilty as JJ appears, I still wanna give him the benefit of the doubt, with his randomn cleans, I i just don't think he would be stupid enough to double down on PEDs given his last couple of years.

The above would require multiple drugs, not just steroids or some designer PED. Those attributes would all add slight benefits when fighting. But none of them are the most important aspect, not even close.

Ah I wouldn't say slight now. A better gas tank is often the difference in a lot of fights. JJ is known for his very high output from rounds 1 through 5. Also unnatural strength enhancements could have enabled his ability to be able to out muscle and stuff terribly strong wrestlers like DC. Some of his opponents have noted his surprisingly freakish strength.

A few commentators have noted Turanibol is usually taken as part of a stack. He could have used a whole range of stuff.

Commentators have also come out and said that it's also a fairly easy PED to pop for. There's a nice succinct summary from rogan's last podcast with Schaub. Apparently (not saying it's gospel as nothing is in this sorta discussion) it's a major problem in MLB, athletes popping left right and centre by virtue of the fact that it's so widely spread via diff avenues

Anyway as guilty as JJ appears, I still wanna give him the benefit of the doubt, with his randomn cleans, I i just don't think he would be stupid enough to double down on PEDs given his last couple of years.

Apologies for the double post folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    [QUOTE=goon_mag

Interesting, I would have thought it would be an incredibly difficult PED to get in your system. Throw up a link to we have a gander.

No worries, bear with me, I'll find the segment from the podcast that's relevant then link rather to rogans general marathon podcast!

Interesting, I would have thought it would be an incredibly difficult PED to get in your system. Throw up a link to we have a gander.[/quote]

Now I would still approach with a pinch of salt given that Chael etc. Has been vocal about the fact that this is a old school PED that doesn't really pop by chance. Schaub's comments defo shed a different and interesting light on it though so worth a listen. Anyway will go find now!

Interesting, I would have thought it would be an incredibly difficult PED to get in your system. Throw up a link to we have a gander.[/quote]

https://youtu.be/9lWLzlH0jk0

As I said, not the most scientific of convos, but knowing how talented Jones is and how hard he sold the whole redemption story, it's very hard (for me at least) to believe he would knowingly do something like this in light of the dick pill fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Heading to UFC Fight Night 117 in Tokyo next Saturday. Main event Maricio Rua vs Ovince Saint Preux.
    Hopefully it goes longer than their first fight where OSP knocked him out in 35 secs.

This is my first time to ever attend a UFC event, Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Heading to UFC Fight Night 117 in Tokyo next Saturday. Main event Maricio Rua vs Ovince Saint Preux.
    Hopefully it goes longer than their first fight where OSP knocked him out in 35 secs.

This is my first time to ever attend a UFC event, Really looking forward to it.

Shogun out injured!!

Yushin Okami replacing him... good lord

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Stopped reading after Edmond. I'm already sold. :)

martyos121 wrote: »
    Stopped reading after Edmond. I'm already sold. :)

Come for the GOAT, stay for the Slater

Slater.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

goon_magee wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/9lWLzlH0jk0

As I said, not the most scientific of convos, but knowing how talented Jones is and how hard he sold the whole redemption story, it's very hard (for me at least) to believe he would knowingly do something like this in light of the dick pill fiasco.

Not an expert but the way I understand it is that the athletes cycle PEDs in such as way so that the drug is out of their system when the test for it is administered. If you get popped it was a timing/planning issue and that can be adjusted. Potentially everyone is on them, with some having done a better job with the timing/planning, but realistically I doubt it goes that far.

I think the JJ redemption story was more for show than for real. He said the right words immediately after the fight, but I heard him interviewed a few times after and there was a number of things he said that made it fairly obvious it wasn't what he believed. Kept talking about opinions he assumes Dana White has (in JJ's favor of course) and that DC would have been a dick if he had won (possible but seems out of character for DC). He seems torn between portraying who he thinks people want him to be and who he actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not an expert but the way I understand it is that the athletes cycle PEDs in such as way so that the drug is out of their system when the test for it is administered. If you get popped it was a timing/planning issue and that can be adjusted. Potentially everyone is on them, with some having done a better job with the timing/planning, but realistically I doubt it goes that far.

A lot of tests are administered randomly out of competition.

A lot of tests are administered randomly out of competition.

Hence the hiding under the ring rumor. There's also things like masking agents that are used to hide PED markers, fake urine samples, etc.

Don't forget about how long Lance Armstrong avoided detection. I know tests and stuff have improved since then but so have the methods of avoiding detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Edmond says he wants to see Ronda vs Cyborg and Cyborg is "too slow" for Ronda.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hence the hiding under the ring rumor. There's also things like masking agents that are used to hide PED markers, fake urine samples, etc.

Don't forget about how long Lance Armstrong avoided detection. I know tests and stuff have improved since then but so have the methods of avoiding detection.
    I think you are missing the point. You were talking about cycling off drugs before for the tests. You need months of notice to do that, not just a few minutes. Same where ever they go. That's used post fight/race where guys know they'll likely be tested.
    Lance used blood doping and microdosing. Not cycling off or rubber willies. He was taking drugs really close to tests and getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

callaway92 wrote: »
    Shogun out injured!!

Yushin Okami replacing him... good lord

I think it's safe to expect that any UFC event these days is likely to be effected by injury, drugs or weight issues.

Am I disappointed that Shogun is out? Yes, It would have been nice to see a MMA legend in action but sh1t happens.

I think you are missing the point. You were talking about cycling off drugs before for the tests. You need months of notice to do that, not just a few minutes. Same where ever they go. That's used post fight/race where guys know they'll likely be tested.
    Lance used blood doping and microdosing. Not cycling off or rubber willies. He was taking drugs really close to tests and getting away with it.

Sorry it's probably me using wrong terminology. Turinabol is supposed to clear the body in a few days though so doesn't need much down time.

Maybe it's usually so diluted that it can't be found in a test, but jon was in the end of his weight cut. He was prob dry as **** so the traces may have shown up.

Maybe it's usually so diluted that it can't be found in a test, but jon was in the end of his weight cut. He was prob dry as **** so the traces may have shown up.

I saw a bodybuilder speculate that it could have been in his fatty tissue for years but only got released when he was down to such low levels. No idea if that could be true but it's an interesting one.

xckjoo wrote:
    I saw a bodybuilder speculate that it could have been in his fatty tissue for years but only got released when he was down to such low levels. No idea if that could be true but it's an interesting one.

That's why cannabis sticks in the system so long, it sticks to the fat, where as cocaine will pass through your system in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Turinabol is supposed to clear the body in a few days though so doesn't need much down time.

A new test for Turinabol that has only been rolled out in recent years can detect its metabolites in the system for months after use. Many think JJ's team didn't plan for this test. Maybe the above points about dilution of it in his system also played a factor in its detection.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement