Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What happens if he doesn't weigh in on time?

I'm not sure if fight is cancelled, of it becomes non title or if Tony can still win it. Lee was joking about tiroumisu yesterday so wouldn't be surprised if he left it till the last minute on purpose. Hope that's what he's doing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

He's leaving it awfully late

Here we go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jaysus lee...down to the wire

• Advertisement

Missed weight

Lee 156

Godddammmmiiiitttt

NASC has said he has 1 hour to lose 1lb if the doc clears it.

• Advertisement

They'll give him another hour...
    For a while I thought he might have been doing it to mess with Ferguson's head....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Has to get cleared by doctor to try cut the extra weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Damn, Lee is overweight. Has an hour to lose a pound.

Ariel is right - horrible way to be heading into fight of your career.
    When I think of what it takes me to call in sick to the office I feel slightly ashamed :o

He has been cleared to cut the pound in an hour. He is gonna be bolloxed for the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

He had to lose 19 pounds from yesterday. That's crazy, even in the world of crazy MMA cuts. Dustin bringing the heat too :)

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/916364198124408832

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Crazy random story here. The family of one of the undercard fighters was sitting next to us. They asked us to support their man, Ishihara was his name. Is Mother actually gave us free home made Sushi and Green Tea. It was amazing, best I'd ever had. We went crazy for Ishihara was he came out, cheered for him throughout the fight. We were delighted when he got the decision win.
    Great day.

Hah that's great and lines up with what I would have thought Ishihara's family are like, if you have not heard of the man before this should be all the introduction you need, he's a mad bastard:
    CpQYj2kVIAAXBbD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Hah that's great and lines up with what I would have thought Ishihara's family are like, if you have not heard of the man before this should be all the introduction you need, he's a mad bastard:
    CpQYj2kVIAAXBbD.jpg

Yeah he seems like a mad chunt altogether. I saw a video of him being interviewed before he fought Lobov. He was fancies himself a ladies man.

• Advertisement

154 and a half

154.5 lbs. Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Would love to know why he had such a problem at this cut, considering all his others went fine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone else think the early weigh-ins have been a bit of a disaster? Maybe disaster is too much, but not gone as hoped?

Speaking as a fan, I loved when the ceremonial weigh-ins served as the official weigh-ins. It was an event in itself with the tension for big events and the face-offs often spilling over due to fighters being dehydrated and moody.

I realise the fighters much prefer it the way it is now, and it's safer, but I loved the old setup.

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone else think the early weigh-ins have been a bit of a disaster? Maybe disaster is too much, but not gone as hoped?

Speaking as a fan, I loved when the ceremonial weigh-ins served as the official weigh-ins. It was an event in itself with the tension for big events and the face-offs often spilling over due to fighters being dehydrated and moody.

I realise the fighters much prefer it the way it is now, and it's safer, but I loved the old setup.

I completely get you. I was in the crowd at the MGM for the 194 weigh-ins and the tension in the air when McGregor hopped on the scale was incredible. Debating all day would he make it, would he not and the release when 145 was yelled out was insane.

At the end of the day though if the fighters are happier with early weigh in's that's all that matters. They are the one's killing themselves and having to fight so anything that helps their performance can only be a good thing.

If you ever tune in to Ariel Helwani's live video of the weigh-in's these days it can be pretty good. Softly commentating like it a golf event as fighters come and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So he made weight the second attempt, is it still for the interim belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

ricero wrote: »
    Would love to know why he had such a problem at this cut, considering all his others went fine

Well it's difficult to say whether he did have more of a problem for this one. He made 156 in the required time, which would have been enough for any of his other fights. Also he seemed to be surprised/disappointed on his first attempt that he wasn't 155, which maybe suggests he was at 156 or very close to it with time to spare and was just trying to get rid of the last pound.

If this one was more of a problem, perhaps the extra media obligations and pressures had an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Gintonious wrote: »
    So he made weight the second attempt, is it still for the interim belt?

Yeah, belt still on the line. Apparently it's within the rules to be allowed an extra hour in Nevada.

At the same time, they seem to be able to make up the rules as they go along in Nevada. I was never in doubt that they'd ensure a title fight once he appeared for the first weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    I completely get you. I was in the crowd at the MGM for the 194 weigh-ins and the tension in the air when McGregor hopped on the scale was incredible. Debating all day would he make it, would he not and the release when 145 was yelled out was insane.

At the end of the day though if the fighters are happier with early weigh in's that's all that matters. They are the one's killing themselves and having to fight so anything that helps their performance can only be a good thing.

If you ever tune in to Ariel Helwani's live video of the weigh-in's these days it can be pretty good. Softly commentating like it a golf event as fighters come and go.

Yeah, Ariel's live video is hilarious. He's like David Attenborough narrating :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The 217 press conferance is a good laugh so far. Bispings comment about freddie roach was hilarious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement