Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yeah, because they rehydrate after weigh ins and put on 20lbs before the fight. What I'm suggesting is to be weighd entering the octagon on fight night. You can't rehydrate

People would just fight on an empty stomach on some form of legal stimulant. People will do anything to get an advantage, there are no easy answers.

I think things like hydration tests should be used going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Unfortunately it’s not as cut and dry as that.

Grown man or not, he is in no way, shape or form qualified to make decisions on his own physical health in the condition he was in.

And in that debilitated state he should not be held at fault.

But he is at fault for ending up in that condition. He put himself in a position where he was unable to make the weight. He needs to accept responsibility for his actions. He tried to get away with his bad decision making by cutting too much weight.

At a certain point his team should have stopped him and pulled their fighter. They are to blame here for enabling their fighter instead of putting his best interest at heart and looking after their fighter. The promotor should not have left the fight happen when they saw the condition he was in.

However the problem with a lot of our culture today is the blame culture. Pointing fingers of blame instead of taking responsibility ourselves. Had the fighter took responsibility for himself he would not have been in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

What about having to pass a hydration test at the same time you do your weigh in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

But he is at fault for ending up in that condition. He put himself in a position where he was unable to make the weight. He needs to accept responsibility for his actions. He tried to get away with his bad decision making by cutting too much weight.

At a certain point his team should have stopped him and pulled their fighter. They are to blame here for enabling their fighter instead of putting his best interest at heart and looking after their fighter. The promotor should not have left the fight happen when they saw the condition he was in.

However the problem with a lot of our culture today is the blame culture. Pointing fingers of blame instead of taking responsibility ourselves. Had the fighter took responsibility for himself he would not have been in that situation.

I’m not disputing that his team were irresponsible. I agree with you on that but I disagree that the fighter himself is at fault.

Outside of the medical profession, very few people have the knowledge, training or qualifications to make the kind of decisions you are talking about.

He may have felt that he would have been sufficiently recovered enough to fight based on his own past experience. But he is not a doctor. And as such can not take the blame like a doctor should if something goes wrong.

In a sport where the professional competitors usually can’t afford the services/input of professional medical people it surely falls to the promotion to take responsibility for it.

In almost every professional sport, competitors will insist they are fit to compete but it’s rightly the doctor who makes the actual call.

Advocating a system where an athlete makes decisions on their own medical well being is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

What about having numerous weigh ins. One at the start of camp, 2/3 during it. And then the early weigh in, and maybe even octagon side.

If doctors could come up with some sort of weight range that it is safe to cut from/to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

D.Q wrote: »
    What about having numerous weigh ins. One at the start of camp, 2/3 during it. And then the early weigh in, and maybe even octagon side.

If doctors could come up with some sort of weight range that it is safe to cut from/to.

I believe OneFC already do this. They implemented after a fighter died from a weight cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Same procedure as drug testing . Random weighing of fighters in and out of camp.

They should visit fighters randomly in camp and out of camp a number of times throughout the year. They can then determine their average weight and specify a cut of say 10 or 15 pounds which will give the fighters 2 divisions to compete in.. I believe that could work.

Edit : didn't see above post and quoted message . D'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They'll be the same weight in the octagon but by dehydrating they can carry more muscle and hit harder.
    That's not how it works. Dehydrating depletes your lean mass, body fat is unchanged. It actually makes you significantly weaker not stronger.
    But there would be no advantage? You'd still be the same weight as the guy your fighting. Dehydrating yourself would just hinder your performance
    It doesn't give you an advantage. But it would happen because guys put themselves in that position.

Fighter signs a fight at 170. He does trim up as much as expected during camp and is 175 the night before the fight. So he cuts weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The amount of weight an individual can cut varies substantially from person to person and does the speed in which some people can cut weight.

A host of factors to genetics to body size, fat % ,muscle mass, pre cut hydration come into play. Generally speaking bigger people with higher amounts of muscle mass can cut more weight as muscles store lots of water compared to other soft tissues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ortega v Swanson is grand an all much better than Lamas/Aldo (targeted for Dec), now was the time to make Cub Aldo 2 I feel and Ortega Lamas could have been interesting ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Wedum fighting again in November against Tybura.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

James Gallagher knee injury, out of Bellator Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

They will probably cancel the show who else is on it? refunds will be given too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The Mark Hunt situation is an absolute Joke. Dana White being a see you next tuesday as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, a lot of people siding with the UFC protecting Hunt but it's an obvious dick move by Dana as doctors never said he couldn't fight. He said the interview came off wrong as was filled with jokes between himself and his wife. UFC should have consulted with him and having him officially tested but it was too tempting for UFC to get one over on him. He should just leave and head to Bellator, leave his UFC lawsuit play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Gamebred wrote: »
    They will probably cancel the show who else is on it? refunds will be given too.

There's a whole heap load of up and coming talent on the card. The Gallagher fight wouldn't have been the highpoint even though it was scheduled as the main event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I think they were right to take him off the card. They did the same to Cain Velasquez last year when he talked about how bad his back was in an interview 5 days before fighting Werdum. I can't post a link to Hunt's interview but it's on playersvoice.au

Whelo79 wrote: »
    There's a whole heap load of up and coming talent on the card. The Gallagher fight wouldn't have been the highpoint even though it was scheduled as the main event.
    True. A.J. McKee is now fighting SBG fighter Brian Moore in the main event. Should add more fuel to the rivalry between McKee and Gallagher.

• Advertisement

cliggg wrote: »
    I think they were right to take him off the card. They did the same to Cain Velasquez last year when he talked about how bad his back was in an interview 5 days before fighting Werdum. I can't post a link to Hunt's interview but it's on playersvoice.au

The interview was released a while back now, if they were genuinely worried they would have asked him to get tested then, why wait till fight week, after he passed two rounds of medicals, to pull him? Why do it without talking to him? Why let him spend all the money on a fight camp then pull him? They're doing it to be *****, no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads anyone on the fightclub forums? my sub is up. Looking to see if there is any update on where 217 weigh-in's will be and if its ticketed again. I know the Knicks are playing in MSG on the friday night and Joe Rogan is in the theater...so no clue where weigh-in will be.

The interview was released a while back now, if they were genuinely worried they would have asked him to get tested then, why wait till fight week, after he passed two rounds of medicals, to pull him? Why do it without talking to him? Why let him spend all the money on a fight camp then pull him? They're doing it to be *****, no other reason.
    Some fair points in there that I agree with. The event though is five and a half weeks away and they did talk to him even if it was just to tell him he was out. Undoubtedly the lawsuit is a factor but if he is publicly saying he has some CTE like symptoms then he shouldn't be allowed to fight IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

There's definitely a hint of the UFC sticking two fingers up to Hunt, and I'm not saying they're right to do it, but you can't expect to ruffle that many feathers with no consequences. That's just life I'm afraid.
    I also find it kind of hard to believe that he's spent 100k on his camp. I'm not really basing that on any knowledge of the price of fight camps, but that just seems a bit excessive. But I could easily be wrong.

Whelo79 wrote: »

Like who? is it a bamma co promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Anyone who fights out of an SBG gym.... all up and coming...true story.

Yeah, undercard is Bamma. I'd say the likes of Tuke, Kiley, the usuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Hunt is a dope. Love watching him fight but he never comes across as the brightest spark.

The UFC has an image to maintain. If you go on record claiming to be suffering from early CTE/concussion related injuries and illnesses it would be absolutely irresponsible for the UFC to allow you to fight.

Imagine the absolute ****storm if Hunt got seriously hurt in the fight and the cause was deemed to be related to the injuries or symptoms he claims he suffers from in that interview??

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Hunt is a dope. Love watching him fight but he never comes across as the brightest spark.

The UFC has an image to maintain. If you go on record claiming to be suffering from early CTE/concussion related injuries and illnesses it would be absolutely irresponsible for the UFC to allow you to fight.

Imagine the absolute ****storm if Hunt got seriously hurt in the fight and the cause was deemed to be related to the injuries or symptoms he claims he suffers from in that interview??

They just want to appear to be proactive, didnt have a problem clearing Lee with a Staph infection last week.

• Advertisement

They just want to appear to be proactive, didnt have a problem clearing Lee with a Staph infection last week.

Lee hid that from everyone so he could still fight. If he said publicly he had it the UFC would have had no choice but to remove him from the card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement