Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Looks like James Gallagher might have got himself in some trouble.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10213103922487184&id=1067562028

The youngfella who was assaulted put this up in the comments on it:
    I asked him was he every gonna fight someone decent. And instead of telling me to fk off or having a laugh he lost his **** and started swinging. And the only reason he lost his **** so fast is because my question was valid and he nos it. Protected mini McGregor bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

callaway92 wrote: »
    Looks like James Gallagher might have got himself in some trouble.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10213103922487184&id=1067562028

The youngfella who was assaulted put this up in the comments on it:
    I asked him was he every gonna fight someone decent. And instead of telling me to fk off or having a laugh he lost his **** and started swinging. And the only reason he lost his **** so fast is because my question was valid and he nos it. Protected mini McGregor bitch.

Didn't see that..

A lot of it would have to do with how the fella he hit said that, but even if it was said in a nasty way.. any decent person would rise above that crap. Scumbaggy behaviour in fairness. Neither of them come out if this looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Didn't see that..

A lot of it would have to do with how the fella he hit said that, but even if it was said in a nasty way.. any decent person would rise above that crap. Scumbaggy behaviour in fairness. Neither of them come out if this looking good.

Who is the guy he hit? Is he a fighter too? That Facebook post doesn't really say what happened.

Django99 wrote: »
    Didn't see that..

Who is the guy he hit? Is he a fighter too? That Facebook post doesn't really say what happened.

I think it might have been at boxing in Belfast last night (she mentions Antrim). Looks like her son is an aspiring fighter, the father must just be a regular audience member or whatever.

I think it might have been at boxing in Belfast last night (she mentions Antrim). Looks like her son is an aspiring fighter, the father must just be a regular audience member or whatever.

Any idea what age he is? Gallagher can't do that, no matter what anybody says to him

• Advertisement

Any idea what age he is? Gallagher can't do that, no matter what anybody says to him

What age the guy he beat up is? I'd guess mid 30s. If you're asking about Gallagher I think he's 20.

I hate seeing this happen, really gives weight to the false narrative that MMA is a sport for scumbags followed by scumbags. Made worse again my McGregor's slurs last night (although I couldn't care less about that whole issue myself).

What age the guy he beat up is? I'd guess mid 30s. If you're asking about Gallagher I think he's 20.

I hate seeing this happen, really gives weight to the false narrative that MMA is a sport for scumbags followed by scumbags. Made worse again my McGregor's slurs last night (although I couldn't care less about that whole issue myself).

Sorry I was asking about the guy he beat up. It's a very serious issue if the story is as it looks, whatever about McGregors vocabulary a professional MMA fighter assaulting someone to the point of hospitalisation is surely a serious criminal matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Sorry I was asking about the guy he beat up. It's a very serious issue if the story is as it looks, whatever about McGregors vocabulary a professional MMA fighter assaulting someone to the point of hospitalisation is surely a serious criminal matter.

I'm open to correction here but i was under the impression that a trained individual striking like this is deemed as a far more serious offence legally than just a joe soap throwing a punch. as I said i 'm open to corection on this one, its just something i recall hearing at some point in the distant past.

jcd5971 wrote: »

I'm open to correction here but i was under the impression that a trained individual striking like this is deemed as a far more serious offence legally than just a joe soap throwing a punch. as I said i 'm open to corection on this one, its just something i recall hearing at some point in the distant past.

If that is the case I'd imagine the fact he hit him with a crutch would actually work in his favour.

Also concious that this is all alleged at the moment, obviously I'm taking that post at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Assault is assault.

Although it could be used as a stain on his character that he’s a professional fighter, fighting someone untrained.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If that is the case I'd imagine the fact he hit him with a crutch would actually work in his favour.

Also concious that this is all alleged at the moment, obviously I'm taking that post at face value.

He hit the son with a crutch. And using a weapon is never a mitigation, it's always an escalation of violence.

The whole pro fighter hitting people with their hands/legs and being charged with assault with a deadly weapon thing is total bull**** but there is a history of judges mentioning that trained fighters are more likely to cause serious damage during assault and affray cases in the UK so that will count against him if it goes that far.

Doesn't matter what the auld boy said to him, harden the feck up buttercup and act like an adult, laugh it off, it's a fan having some banter, get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've heard that too, but there's no basis for it. Hollywood stuff.
    Sames the idea that a black belt has to register his hands as weapons.

No idea what the story is with Gallagher above. Sounds like he fked up.
    But I'd be surprised if the FB post is the full story either.

Mellor wrote: »
    I've heard that too, but there's no basis for it. Hollywood stuff.
    Sames the idea that a black belt has to register his hands as weapons.

No idea what the story is with Gallagher above. Sounds like he fked up.
    But I'd be surprised if the FB post is the full story either.

yep as i said just something i heard many moons ago.

I'd imagine if it ended up in front of a judge it would do him no favours though, a very silly boy all round. **** like this wont help him break into ufc either so he'd want to wisen up.

yep as i said just something i heard many moons ago.

I'd imagine if it ended up in front of a judge it would do him no favours though, a very silly boy all round. **** like this wont help him break into ufc either so he'd want to wisen up.

Minor convictions have seen fighters unable top crack into the US/UFC before.

Mellor wrote: »
    Minor convictions have seen fighters unable top crack into the US/UFC before.

Yep I agree, well to be fair if he was a good enough fighter I dont see uncle Dana giving a **** but US giving him a Visa may well be an issue.

You remember that english guy on tuf a few seasons ago got to final only for visa issues to get him kicked off.

*also 31,000 post jaysus man put the phone down:D

*Edit: Saul Rodgers was his name.

*also 31,000 post jaysus man put the phone down:D

*Edit: Saul Rodgers was his name.

A few years as a mod help get the count up. Never again though. The lads here put up with some nonsense.

I was thinking of Saul Rogers too actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think it might have been at boxing in Belfast last night

It was at the end of Chaos Fighting Championships 17 in Derry. I was there but didn't see what actually happened. Just knew there was a bit of a scuffle as people were leaving.

Aside from that it was a fantastic night of fights (in the cage) as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It was at the end of Chaos Fighting Championships 17 in Derry. I was there but didn't see what actually happened. Just knew there was a bit of a scuffle as people were leaving.

Aside from that it was a fantastic night of fights (in the cage) as usual.

How did the main event fight go? I can't seem to find results anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Added

431349.jpg

431348.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I'm working on an MMA related project at the moment so I am doing a sh*tload of research. I have added up all the fighter pay from 2016. In 2016 the UFC hosted 40 events and payed the fighters an estimated (because some commissions don't release the official pay) $77,819,500. It averages out at $1,945,487.5 per event. I just thought I would post that up because no one I know will care and I found it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭al87987

cliggg wrote: »
    I'm working on an MMA related project at the moment so I am doing a sh*tload of research. I have added up all the fighter pay from 2016. In 2016 the UFC hosted 40 events and payed the fighters an estimated (because some commissions don't release the official pay) $77,819,500. It averages out at $1,945,487.5 per event. I just thought I would post that up because no one I know will care and I found it interesting.

Think I remember reading that the fighters make about 8% of the money generated which seems ridiculously low considering the UFC have no other real assets.

I have been preaching to my similarly disinterested friends that the 4.2 billion purchase was the most ludicrous thing I've ever seen. The fighters are all independent contractors and in reality hold all the power. If they all decided to fight out their contracts, or retire and come back, they could mosey across the road to Bellator or a new organization and negotiate a much larger slice of the pie for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭cletus

Except that in the minds of most casuals (who make up the bulk of the buys) UFC is synonymous with MMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cletus wrote: »
    Except that in the minds of most casuals (who make up the bulk of the buys) UFC is synonymous with MMA

Casuals make up the bulk of 1 or 2 cards a year. Most cards are bought mainly by regular for hards. What's the average buy rate over the year, 200k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

al87987 wrote: »
    Think I remember reading that the fighters make about 8% of the money generated which seems ridiculously low considering the UFC have no other real assets.

I have been preaching to my similarly disinterested friends that the 4.2 billion purchase was the most ludicrous thing I've ever seen. The fighters are all independent contractors and in reality hold all the power. If they all decided to fight out their contracts, or retire and come back, they could mosey across the road to Bellator or a new organization and negotiate a much larger slice of the pie for themselves.
    The problem with that is there are only so many fighters Bellator et al can take and mid level ranked people like Poirier, Cerrone etc. earn ok money if they get their win bonus in comparison to what they would make elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seems like the Gallagher post has been deleted from Facebook. Can someone explain the gist?

Young lad giving him abuse and gets a slap for his troubles, is that it?

I'm hardly a fan of the way Gallagher goes on, but if you're going to be cheeky and abusing people in that sort of a setting you can't go crying if they retaliate IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Paully D wrote: »
    Seems like the Gallagher post has been deleted from Facebook. Can someone explain the gist?

Young lad giving him abuse and gets a slap for his troubles, is that it?

I'm hardly a fan of the way Gallagher goes on, but if you're going to be cheeky and abusing people in that sort of a setting you can't go crying if they retaliate IMO.

Young lad gets photo and a chat, auld fella of young lad asks when is gallagher going to fight someone decent, gallagher hits auld fella a few thumps and hits kid with a crutch. If you're a professional fighter and someone giving you a bit of stick causes you to attack fans at an event then you deserve all the ****e that's going to come your way. If he gets a conviction he can kiss the bellator contract and any chance of fighting in the UFC goodbye because it will mean that getting VIAS's for US entry will be far too much effort. If that happens he has nobody to blame but himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if that family went to a solicitor this morning and the solicitor told them to immediately remove any posts about it from social media.

I'd be surprised if Gallagher's team didn't get screenshots of the young lads reply beforehand and will use it as part of any defence. Pretty sure the young lad called Gallagher a b*tch in the post a couple of times. It will go towards character reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Whelo79 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if that family went to a solicitor this morning and the solicitor told them to immediately remove any posts about it from social media.

I'd be surprised if Gallagher's team didn't get screenshots of the young lads reply beforehand and will use it as part of any defence. Pretty sure the young lad called Gallagher a b*tch in the post a couple of times. It will go towards character reference.

Still cant just batter people over words

Still cant just batter people over words

I never said you could, and I agree with ya. But, 'if' it makes court it will be used as part of any defence. He's on crutches and feeling depressed after his very recent knee injury, concerned about his future career and feeling vulnerable, he was approached by two men looking for a photo. After the picture was taken they became abusive (possibly with alcohol on board) and threatening.

Both sets of people will have witnesses who's statements contradict each other. That's generally how these cases work, unless Gallagher or Bellator (protecting their investment) throw the family some hush money to retract their statements from the police.

• Advertisement

Gallagher could well be in the wrong. But there's no way the version of events as per facebook was accurate. No matter what happened, it will be twisted by each side to lean towards their side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement