Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Young lad gets photo and a chat, auld fella of young lad asks when is gallagher going to fight someone decent, gallagher hits auld fella a few thumps and hits kid with a crutch. If you're a professional fighter and someone giving you a bit of stick causes you to attack fans at an event then you deserve all the ****e that's going to come your way. If he gets a conviction he can kiss the bellator contract and any chance of fighting in the UFC goodbye because it will mean that getting VIAS's for US entry will be far too much effort. If that happens he has nobody to blame but himself.

As I said, I'm no fan of how he carries on, but it's completely different asking him for a photo and then abusing him IMO. You can hardly expect someone not to react if they ask you for a photo and then someone in your party starts abusing him at the same time.

By all means give him a bit of stick if you're that way inclined, just don't pretend to be a fan of his and ask the lad for a picture beforehand if you're going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Paully D wrote:
    I'm hardly a fan of the way Gallagher goes on, but if you're going to be cheeky and abusing people in that sort of a setting you can't go crying if they retaliate IMO.

I disagree with you on this one, I work in retail and occasionally get some horrible abuse from irate customers, but I don't assault them over it, because I would be in serious trouble and I am not a professional fighter.

Simply put in our society his reaction is unacceptable.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I disagree with you on this one, I work in retail and occasionally get some horrible abuse from irate customers, but I don't assault them over it, because I would be in serious trouble and I am not a professional fighter.

Simply put in our society his reaction is unacceptable.

They don't pretend to be a fan of yours and ask for a picture with you before abusing you either. :)

Completely different situation IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

My mates a pro boxer and when we were on nights out if there was any chance of an altercation he would remove himself from the situation over fear of losing his license, this should have been similar.

I dont believe thats all the lad said though because iv met james a few times when hes gone out in Dublin and always say something similar about when is he fighting someone good and hes always gave me stick straight back and never got aggresive or even annoyed, having mutual friends could play a part in that but I doubt it. Theres 100% more to the story id imagine.

Paully D wrote:
    They don't pretend to be a fan of yours and ask for a picture with you before abusing you either.

Paully D wrote:
    Completely different situation IMO.

It is not a direct comparison your right.

But I can't see how your seeing this as even slightly defendable,

he punched one guy multiple times and hit another person with a crutch at least once. (Allegedly it must be Said)

Because they made some smart comments.

I agree with alot of your posts generally, but I think your a bit off on this one.

At the end of day assault is never a reasonable response to words.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote:
    I dont believe thats all the lad said though because iv met james a few times when hes gone out in Dublin and always say something similar about when is he fighting someone good and hes always gave me stick straight back and never got aggresive or even annoyed, having mutual friends could play a part in that but I doubt it. Theres 100% more to the story id imagine.

Yep we're going off a Facebook post from the "victim" so it's definitely going to be one sided account.

I just don't see any justification though, unless they got physical first and he was defending himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Yep we're going off a Facebook post from the "victim" so it's definitely going to be one sided account.

I just don't see any justification though, unless they got physical first and he was defending himself.

100% he never should have reacted that way nomatter what has been said, as a pro fighter he should have some cop on. I used to get agro way to often now id have to be pushed to limit before id react that way, sure one wrong punch and someone could die. Sure look at dargan who killed that guys, James should know that story well considering and should have had a bit more cop on. Only himself to blame if anything comes of it.

Still that victim story has to be lies haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

ASOT wrote: »
    100% he never should have reacted that way nomatter what has been said, as a pro fighter he should have some cop on. I used to get agro way to often now id have to be pushed to limit before id react that way, sure one wrong punch and someone could die. Sure look at dargan who killed that guys, James should know that story well considering and should have had a bit more cop on. Only himself to blame if anything comes of it.

Still that victim story has to be lies haha

Any links to the victims posts? Someone must have a grab?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Any links to the victims posts? Someone must have a grab?

they're on twitter.

Gallagher doesn't come out of this looking good, a pro fighter having a go at someone is out of order unless he was attacked first.

That said he's 20 years old so some immaturity is to be expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

4 pages on a UFC thread gossiping about a tit that isn't in the UFC. Thought something exciting was after being announced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

4 pages on a UFC thread gossiping about a tit that isn't in the UFC. Thought something exciting was after being announced

It's an MMA thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Not a UFC thread, general MMA Chat/News mk2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

It's an MMA thread.

So it is 🙈 carry on..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Saw your man's corner throw a dig at Norman Parke at KSW last weekend. How is that handled? Does the fighter who's corner it is get fined/sanctioned? Does the cornerman get punished?

Is it just punishment (if any) within KSW or is there some sort of body that would cover multiple organisations?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭al87987

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Saw your man's corner throw a dig at Norman Parke at KSW last weekend. How is that handled? Does the fighter who's corner it is get fined/sanctioned? Does the cornerman get punished?

Is it just punishment (if any) within KSW or is there some sort of body that would cover multiple organisations?

2 year ban from KSW events I think he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

No governing body means that when KSW/Bellator/CW/BAMMA/UFC run events here and the in the UK they are the sanctioning body, governing body and promoter. They choose bans and fines themselves, it's a total joke of a situation. They also pick their own judges which is what leads to things like Pimblett getting murdered by Erosa but still winning a majority decision because the owner is CW is also his manager and the man who picks the judging staff.

Cowboy country.

Do we think we'll get a UFC event back over here in 2018? Last one was 2015 so I think we are due one, possibly with Joe Duffy headlining, especially if all goes well against Vick?

UFC announced London (March 2017) in November 2016, and then in March 2017 announced Glasgow (July 2017), Rotterdam (September 2017) and Gdansk (October 2017), so we should hopefully find out about the Q1 European event in the coming weeks anyway.

I'm sure Liverpool will be on their list with Till headlining against the winner of Perry vs Ponzinibbio, probably in that usual July slot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If Duffy's not involved than is there any other Irish fighters who would do it?

All the Irish fighters from the last time have either been cut, Parke, or retired, Paddy, Pendred, Daly, and Seery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If Duffy's not involved than is there any other Irish fighters who would do it?

All the Irish fighters from the last time have either been cut, Parke, or retired, Paddy, Pendred, Daly, and Seery.

Its time for the striking greatness of Pendred to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The fight was in Dublin. So no sanctioning body to dish out a punishment. Up to KSW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tommo3434343

Paully D wrote: »
    Do we think we'll get a UFC event back over here in 2018? Last one was 2015 so I think we are due one, possibly with Joe Duffy headlining, especially if all goes well against Vick?

If Duffy wins the Vick fight then it would make sense to give him a big fight in Dublin. Maybe the winner (or even loser) of Iaquinta/Felder. That would be really fan friendly main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Looks like Khabib v Barboza is confirmed for UFC 219

http://m.uk.ufc.com/news/edson-barboza-khabib-nurmagomedov-219

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I hope Khabib gets the head kicked off him :pac:

Ah if he gets an early takedown, then it will be all over and he'll scream for a title shot. Then we'll have 2 top LW's, and the winner of Eddie, Justin. Out of the 3 of them, 1 of them should be able to get Conor out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Raquel Pennington suffered a broken leg on a hunting trip the last day, no title fight for her now in December.

Sounds like a really nasty one going by her quotes in the article, hope it's not a career ender.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10/27/16562834/raquel-pennington-breaks-leg-in-scary-hunting-accident-out-of-planned-ufc-title-fight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

Hopefully Khabib and Gaethje both win and fight each other on the same card as Conor vs Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Johnny sounds a little ****ed up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The UFC are back in Europe...

St Paddy's day 2018...

In feckin London.

Surely if you're coming across the pond for a Paddy's day event Dublin is the place to go?? I suppose it would already be mental in Dublin that day but still. It's disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Unfortunately in Ireland we dont have arena suitable for large indoor events.

The biggest we have is the 3 arena which would be suitable for a fight night or a smaller card.

But you will not get Conor McGregor fighting in the 3 arena on Paddy's day anytime soon.

No other Irish stars that would bring them over for a Dublin event currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Unfortunately in Ireland we dont have arena suitable for large indoor events.

The biggest we have is the 3 arena which would be suitable for a fight night or a smaller card.

But you will not get Conor McGregor fighting in the 3 arena on Paddy's day anytime soon.

No other Irish stars that would bring them over for a Dublin event currently.

Don't get me wrong, I don't ever expect to see McGregor fight in Ireland again.

But they don't need to have a big Irish headliner. A card like Gdansk would still sell out. Plus Joe Duffy if he wins his next fight could headline or co-headline.

I suppose it just stings that it's on Paddy's day, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I believe the UFC is back in Dublin when Gallagher (if he continues on his current path) signs for the UFC and they decide that it's time for the hype train to depart from Connolly Station all over again :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement