Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

It will happen when Conor says it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Im predicting the 1st event will be for servicemen only/mainly.They will water it down in some way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Seery v horiguchi at UFC Rotterdam. Excellent fight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Extremely high ranked opponent for Seery to land, happy days:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

You just know Bruce lee is going to point fight all night and win a decision,hope im wrong but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    You just know Bruce lee is going to point fight all night and win a decision,hope im wrong but I doubt it.

Who/What fight are you talking about?

Mellor wrote: »
    Who/What fight are you talking about?

:pac: Horoguchi v Seery

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Seery v horiguchi at UFC Rotterdam. Excellent fight

That is going to be one hell of a fight. Great test for Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

califano wrote: »
    Im predicting the 1st event will be for servicemen only/mainly.They will water it down in some way anyway.

What makes you think that? I would have thought the 1st event they would put on a really strong card and try to rake in as much money as possible from it. They could put on like a fight week with maybe a FN or TUF finales the night or 2 before the PPV event. Really try to make up for lost time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Devastator wrote: »
    What makes you think that? I would have thought the 1st event they would put on a really strong card and try to rake in as much money as possible from it. They could put on like a fight week with maybe a FN or TUF finales the night or 2 before the PPV event. Really try to make up for lost time

Just in the bargaining tussle and to be given the licence to justify New York stickyness in the first place. By NY granting it this will be their bringing something to the city so to speak. To make it like the whole thing is a very savory thing indeed!. Likely im wide of the mark but i think NY will have something sneaky into the bargain to want to look good. The whole thing will sound like a fundraiser!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Just in the bargaining tussle and to be given the licence to justify New York stickyness in the first place. By NY granting it this will be their bringing something to the city so to speak. To make it like the whole thing is a very savory thing indeed!. Likely im wide of the mark but i think NY will have something sneaky into the bargain to want to look good. The whole thing will sound like a fundraiser!.

With such a landslide victory I don't know if they would have needed to do much bargaining. From what I understand the reason it wasn't passed so far was down to 1 man whose company is a rival to zuffa which they say is why he kept blockign the vote. Now he's out of the way, they were allowed to vote and we're now here.

I think with the revenue a UFC event would generate would be more than enough for NY, especially if they do have McGregor on the card.

All guess work ATM, suppose we'll know better in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Lorenzo said they plan to do a big show. If the do it upstate maybe a bit smaller but if its at MSG I expect it to be up there with the likes of 200.

Jones and Weidman likely as headliner and co-main.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Jones for the HW title would be great for their first NY card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I’d put the chances of this being practically zero.

They weren’t bargaining for it, this was the first time it made it to a vote at this stage and they won by a huge majority. What they were doing up to this point was educating and putting pressure on those blocking it, they weren’t making concessions (aside from probably telling certain officials that they’d spread the UFC money around the State and not just NYC).

They’ll be going huge with this event to try to revitilise/energise the market and they’re not going to a) lose massive money on ticket sales and b) distract from the UFC in NYC narrative by switching it to be all about the military. They already have a regular event for the troops and it’s pretty half assed, I cant see them going from that to turning over what is likely to be one of the biggest events they’ve ever had.

Even if they were to do a huge event for the military, NYC wouldn’t even make sense given that it’s not even an area with a high number of troops or their families are based (especially if compared to the overall population). A massive number would have to travel there and pay for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ariel gone from Fox /UFC in whatever capacity he was, but diasspointed love Ariel on the fox coverage, bit convinient he broke the Diaz/McGregor 2 story now he's gone. More time to focus on MMAFighting now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

ASOT wrote: »
    Ariel gone from Fox /UFC in whatever capacity he was, but diasspointed love Ariel on the fox coverage, bit convinient he broke the Diaz/McGregor 2 story now he's gone. More time to focus on MMAFighting now though.

12049712_242621456080333_8398525279863989611_n.jpg?oh=d1a6db593aa3b5ac41a291ccc01d738b&oe=57814596

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

ASOT wrote: »

He was the first person to break the Mcgregor vs Diaz rematch. My initial thought was that maybe he was not supposed to leak this Information and has been reprimanded?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

lougal88 wrote: »
    He was the first person to break the Mcgregor vs Diaz rematch. My initial thought was that maybe he was not supposed to leak this Information and has been reprimanded?

Was listening to the MMA Hour on Monday and he was saying that he isn't in the business of speculation. He's simply reporting on the news given to him and went on to say that he has too much respect for UFC officials to not confirm anything ahead of them.

Harsh really.

lougal88 wrote: »

Yep exactly, it's not the first thing he's been first on either, I would have done the same also to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was listening to the MMA Hour on Monday and he was saying that he isn't in the business of speculation. He's simply reporting on the news given to him and went on to say that he has too much respect for UFC officials to not confirm anything ahead of them.

Harsh really.

Harsh how? The way he worded that statement made it seem like it was his decision to leave, I suppose we'll find out the real story soon but I think he's been finding it difficult working at FOX because of the conflict of interests. A major part of his job is breaking news stories about MMA and working with the UFC's main broadcasting partner sort of goes against his ability to do that.

If it's true that ESPN want to expand their coverage of MMA (don't have any concrete sources on that but it comes up now and again) then he could very well have been on the phone to them recently.

Ariel was just as relevant to MMA fans before he signed for FOX, I believe him when he says he doesn't really need the job (paraphrasing a bit there but it's essentially the message he was conveying IMO).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

martyos121 wrote: »

If it's true that ESPN want to expand their coverage of MMA (don't have any concrete sources on that but it comes up now and again) then he could very well have been on the phone to them recently.

Reddit detectives pointed out that Ariel recently followed and was followed back by an ESPN talent producer, so you never know!

maximoose wrote: »
    Reddit detectives pointed out that Ariel recently followed and was followed back by an ESPN talent producer, so you never know!

Literally just after seeing that haha, my speculation game is strong. :cool:

martyos121 wrote: »
    Literally just after seeing that haha, my speculation game is strong. :cool:

You're some spoofer marty :pac:

You're some spoofer marty :pac:

My sources confirm that is correct Gamebred.

Brandao popped for weed

When does Diaz pop for weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

When does Diaz pop for weed?

Right after he gets a hit off that mad new bong he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Right after he gets a hit off that mad new bong he got.

209 mutha-f*cka!! That's wuts up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Didn't something go on with Ariel and FOX a few years back? I think it has been a pretty rocky relationship for quite some time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Paully D wrote: »
    Didn't something go on with Ariel and FOX a few years back? I think it has been a pretty rocky relationship for quite some time now.

I have vague recollections of him being vocally critical of the Fox deal that the UFC made. And then all of a sudden he ends up doing work for them.

Pretty sure it was him anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement