Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cliggg wrote: »
    True but as far as "names" go only Cub & Aldo would fit and I think the Holloway-Aldo fight is too recent in people's minds so the Cub fight would be an easier sell IMO.
    Cub is as relevant as Lamas imo. Maybe slightly more know due stating the cage with the flowy one.
    Aldo is the biggest name. But I don't think people will be dying to pay for Aldo v Max again.
    Ortega is the only one who hasn't lost to Max. Has that edge over the rest but yeah he's a bit unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Oretga needs to be on social media campaigning like crazy for the fight if he wants to get it. It's a fight I'd like to see who Cub as the second choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Aldo dismantled Frankie, if anyone has ever deserved a chance to reclaim a belt it's Aldo. He's been the single most dominant champion in the history of the UFC, Jones and GSP included.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd love to see Ortega get a shot, he definitely proves trouble for anyone on the ground. Will probably be Cub or Aldo though. Out of those 2, I'd like to see Cub get the nod.

PS. **** sake Frankie!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Mellor wrote: »
    He's nowhere near LHW size. And I'm aware he referred to himself as a LHW at WW on the MMA hour. It's hyperbole, it's in his interest to oversell it.
    If his reported cage weight is accurate (200lbs), he's a huge welterweight, but he'd be a small middleweight.

Not exactly science, but next to cowboy his musculature and frame generally seemed at that least a weight class bigger. Granted, I doubt Cowboy cuts more than 15 pounds - I know that amount was standard for him at lw.

I doubt Till would be at much of a size disadvantage against someone like knuckles should he chose to go to up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not exactly science, but next to cowboy his musculature and frame generally seemed at that least a weight class bigger. Granted, I doubt Cowboy cuts more than 15 pounds - I know that amount was standard for him at lw.

I doubt Till would be at much of a size disadvantage against someone like knuckles should he chose to go to up.
    Cowboy is a small welter. He's was t even a big lightweight.

Till said he was 200lbs. A 15 lbs cut to 185 is a small cut for a MW. He could compete at MW but he'd be smaller than most, that all I was saying.
    For reference, Bobby competes at 215lbs in jiu jitsu. He might be a bit smaller, but definitely north of 200.

This sounds really class from Bellator. 8 man tourney to determine HW champ.

Fedor, Mir, Mitrione, Big Country, Bader, Rampage, King Mo and finally the former MW UFC champ Sonnen. This should be a great laugh to watch. ALL THE KANGAROO MEAT!

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/11/bellator-mma-tournament-world-grand-prix-fedor-emelianenko-chael-sonnen-rampage-jackson-frank-mir/amp

The eight contestants include some of the organization’s most recognizable heavyweights, including former PRIDE champion Fedor Emelianenko (36-5 MMA, 0-1 BMMA), two-time former UFC titleholder Frank Mir (18-11 MMA, 0-0 BMMA), Matt Mitrione (12-5 MMA, 3-0 BMMA), and Roy Nelson (23-14 MMA, 1-0 BMMA).

Additionally, four light heavyweight stars are moving up a division for a chance at heavyweight gold, with current 205-pound champ Ryan Bader (24-5 MMA, 2-0 BMMA), former UFC champ Quinton Jackson (37-12 MMA, 4-1 BMMA), ex-Strikeforce titleholder Muhammed Lawal (21-6 MMA, 10-4 BMMA) and multi-time UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen (29-15-1 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) also confirmed for the grand prix.

The tournament bouts will be contested throughout 2018, with the current plan calling for one tournament fight per night at seven yet-to-be-decided Bellator events. The final is tentatively scheduled for December 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Basically a load of juiced up pensioners battle in a legends league

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Will watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Basically a load of juiced up pensioners battle in a legends league

best.thing.ever.

• Advertisement

If it happens, I hope Max gives him another hiding.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/928988381769555968

I've no interest in seeing aldo hold that belt again...its about as appealing as woodley wonderboy 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I really can't see Aldo winning at all, I see only a more decisive win for Holloway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Surely Conor can get Artem a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Another KO loss here will surley send Aldo in to retirement.

rob316 wrote: »
    Surely Conor can get Artem a shot

I hear a draft contract has been drawn up for james gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I dunno, I haven't seen the fight again since it happened but wasn't Aldo doing rightly up until the third when he got caught?

Don't think it's necessarily the right fight to make but not sure anyone really deserves a shot with Edgar hurt. Don't think Holloway victory is a foregone conclusion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cub didnt win an exchange off max, Aldo was 2 rounds up going into the 3rd without throwing a leg kick of course its the fight to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »
    Cub didnt win an exchange off max, Aldo was 2 rounds up going into the 3rd without throwing a leg kick of course its the fight to make.

Couldn't understand him not swinging at Max's lead leg, it was there to be hit and it's not like Max is a takedown artist so Aldo didn't exactly have to worry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Couldn't understand him not swinging at Max's lead leg, it was there to be hit and it's not like Max is a takedown artist so Aldo didn't exactly have to worry about that.
    According to his coach he hurt his leg in camp leading up to it so couldn't kick. I'm not sure about that because Aldo pulls out of fights regularly with injuries, I really believe he just wasn't motivated enough in that fight and I believe he won't be in his next one either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Would love Aldo to get the belt back

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The back and forth on twitter is class, no BS, just getting it done!

https://twitter.com/GunniNelson/status/929148767399567366

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

As much as I love Gunni, I don't think that fight ends well for him. It'd look like a middleweight fighting a lightweight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Nelson gets hit far too often to survive Darren Till.

If Gunni can get him down then he has a good chance but easier said than done with the size difference between them. Still Will be a great win for Gunni if he pulls it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I remember fearing the worst for Gunni against Brandon Thatch, big strong, accurate striker so hopefully it ends up similarly.

Brandon Thatch obviously proved to be not very good in the end and I do think Till is the real deal so maybe I'm clutching at straws! :pac:

• Advertisement

Boom! Rematch, let's go again young Max!

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/929416301868707841

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement