Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Mellor wrote: »
    She looks like Niamh lynch in that photo

Who is niamh Lynch?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Who is niamh Lynch?

Director of Student Services at Maynooth. I can't see it myself.

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/people/niamh-lynch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

jimmii wrote: »
    Director of Student Services at Maynooth. I can't see it myself.

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/people/niamh-lynch

It's uncanny.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Niamh long back lynch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Can't believe no one posted a PVZ photo yet.

And it her Birthday yesterday and all!

pvz-1440938175-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Can't believe you posted to complain about the lack of PVZ photos but didn't add any PVZ photos.

I missed the boat on this one big time. People were expecting a PVZ and I didn't deliver. Sorry lads.

Heard theres rumours of DC injured supposedly seen at a wrestling tournament hobbling around? I called this a few weeks ago this fight gets cancelled and moved to ufc 200 main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Gamebred wrote: »
    Heard theres rumours of DC injured supposedly seen at a wrestling tournament hobbling around? I called this a few weeks ago this fight gets cancelled and moved to ufc 200 main event.

Very unreliable source on twitter. In saying that, It wouldn't shock me in the slightest. I'd keep Jones on that card, put him against Rumble or maybe a Heavyweight fight and have Conor/Frankie and Jones/DC headlining the first MSG show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

On another note, it's hilarious how DC has been saying that he won't let Jones get inside his head this time etc. The bloke was almost in tears at the Unstoppable press conference when the crowd were booing him and cheering Jones. :pac:

Jones has too much for him anyway, but DC seems beaten before he has even made it to the octagon this time.

I thought Jones was a bit more dominant in that first fight but having rewatched it during the week theres wasnt a lot between them dc was good in the clinch especially,cant wait to see the rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Devastator wrote: »
    Thought that happened yesterday? :confused:

It did?? Must have missed that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Paully D wrote: »
    On another note, it's hilarious how DC has been saying that he won't let Jones get inside his head this time etc. The bloke was almost in tears at the Unstoppable press conference when the crowd were booing him and cheering Jones. :pac:

Jones has too much for him anyway, but DC seems beaten before he has even made it to the octagon this time.

I like DC, as a fighter and when he does the pundit bit he can be very entertaining, but sometimes, when he's trying to talk up a fight especially, I just end up cringing for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Paully D wrote: »

That was ridiculously funny at the press conference :D The audio was terrible in it and it was difficult to make out much or anything at times but as soon as DC came on the screen or looked like he was talking everyone erupted into boos :pac:

There was some fella about 7-10 rows in front of me with a DC shirt & even he stood up (presumably booing, I couldnt see) giving the thumbs down when DC was trying to say something lol

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/time-to-end-hypocrisy-over-mma-fighter-safety-34575032.html

Interesting article regarding fighter safety at Irish shows. IMO fighter safety should be paramount. Maybe its times for fighters/coaches to vote with their feet and demand medical teams be present before they step into fight.

[URL]="http://www.immaf.org/marc-goddard-standing-tkos-corner-stoppages/"[/URL]

In keeping with fighters health heres some interesting thoughts from Marc Goddard about stoppages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That was ridiculously funny at the press conference :D The audio was terrible in it and it was difficult to make out much or anything at times but as soon as DC came on the screen or looked like he was talking everyone erupted into boos :pac:

There was some fella about 7-10 rows in front of me with a DC shirt & even he stood up (presumably booing, I couldnt see) giving the thumbs down when DC was trying to say something lol

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/time-to-end-hypocrisy-over-mma-fighter-safety-34575032.html

Interesting article regarding fighter safety at Irish shows. IMO fighter safety should be paramount. Maybe its times for fighters/coaches to vote with their feet and demand medical teams be present before they step into fight.

[URL]="http://www.immaf.org/marc-goddard-standing-tkos-corner-stoppages/"[/URL]

In keeping with fighters health heres some interesting thoughts from Marc Goddard about stoppages.

MMA has come along way, but still has some distance to go, both at local level and elite level. There has been incredibly late or lack of stoppages lately, like Lombard and Weidman, or in Bellator where a fighter put someone to sleep and had to ask the ref to stop it instead of raining punches on him. I'd like to see the ref called the TKO quicker, I think once a fighter absorbs 10 punches to head for the ref to call it. The average is about 20.

At local level the problem won't be rectified until MMA receives some government funding to help regulate and protect fighters but I don't see that happening even with the recent surge in popularity it's still too much of a taboo.

Lukker- wrote: »
    MMA has come along way, but still has some distance to go, both at local level and elite level. There has been incredibly late or lack of stoppages lately, like Lombard and Weidman, or in Bellator where a fighter put someone to sleep and had to ask the ref to stop it instead of raining punches on him. I'd like to see the ref called the TKO quicker, I think once a fighter absorbs 10 punches to head for the ref to call it. The average is about 20.

At local level the problem won't be rectified until MMA receives some government funding to help regulate and protect fighters but I don't see that happening even with the recent surge in popularity it's still too much of a taboo.

I'm not sure there have been an increase lately in the stoppages issue, it could just be because there are so many more shows nowadays. If you look hard enough you could watch at very least 1 MMA event per week. Few years ago the UFC were only doing 1 show per month!

Its an incredibly difficult decision to make on whether or not to stop the fight, I don't envy the referees for their job. Remember Carwin Vs Lesnar? Lesnar was turtled up and took a crazy amount of punches(& from a well known power puncher) but it was allowed to continue and then of course Carwin gassed & Lesnar stopped him in the next rd.

I read a good piece a few days ago DC requesting Herb Dean not ref his fight against Jones. DC was not happy with how Dean reffed their previsious fight and the article went into detail more about Dean but did raise the question of consistency as a whole across refereeing. Its not even consistency between ref's as it detailed an occassion when Dean was deemed to have stopped a pre lim fight early after only a few punches on the ground. Then later in the same night, on the main card, apparently he left a fight go on with numerous punches on the ground and people complaining that it should have been stopped earlier.

You are probably correct about lack of government funding. That piece talks about "sport Ireland" funding basketball,etc Is that part of some government scheme? Maybe with the rise of popularity & numerous Irish professionals maybe the people in charge will become more knowledgable and change their minds about the sport. MAYBE! Thats why I say fighters & coaches should get together & try to make an agreement that nobody will take part in shows that do not have adequate medical cover.

I was at Cage Kings last night and there was numberous Doctors cageside which this article neglects to add,which is unfair on the lads promoting it,Im not saying it was up to ufc level medical standards but fair is fair and its not mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm not sure there have been an increase lately in the stoppages issue, it could just be because there are so many more shows nowadays. If you look hard enough you could watch at very least 1 MMA event per week. Few years ago the UFC were only doing 1 show per month!

Its an incredibly difficult decision to make on whether or not to stop the fight, I don't envy the referees for their job. Remember Carwin Vs Lesnar? Lesnar was turtled up and took a crazy amount of punches(& from a well known power puncher) but it was allowed to continue and then of course Carwin gassed & Lesnar stopped him in the next rd.

I read a good piece a few days ago DC requesting Herb Dean not ref his fight against Jones. DC was not happy with how Dean reffed their previsious fight and the article went into detail more about Dean but did raise the question of consistency as a whole across refereeing. Its not even consistency between ref's as it detailed an occassion when Dean was deemed to have stopped a pre lim fight early after only a few punches on the ground. Then later in the same night, on the main card, apparently he left a fight go on with numerous punches on the ground and people complaining that it should have been stopped earlier.

You are probably correct about lack of government funding. That piece talks about "sport Ireland" funding basketball,etc Is that part of some government scheme? Maybe with the rise of popularity & numerous Irish professionals maybe the people in charge will become more knowledgable and change their minds about the sport. MAYBE! Thats why I say fighters & coaches should get together & try to make an agreement that nobody will take part in shows that do not have adequate medical cover.

I get what you are saying. The ref should have stopped it in the 3rd round when Weidman ate an insane amount of punches. He came out firing in the 4th and was winning until he tried the wheel kick. I still think Herb should have stopped it earlier, even if a fighter can recover in his corner and comeback and win it still should be stopped. The damage is done and they could be fighting on with a concussion or a brain injury and adrenaline is keeping them going, and those extra punches could be the difference between a life threatening trauma.

It's not an easy thing to get perfect and corners should take more responsibility too. Look at Eubank Jr v Blackwell. His corner should have thrown in the towel after round 6, but they were hoping Eubank Jr would gas, where in reality he wasn't beating his face because his Eubank Sr told him to stop targeting the head to avoid causing further damage. Boxing has been around much longer than MMA and they haven't gotten it perfect yet either.

Gamebred wrote: »
    I was at Cage Kings last night and there was numberous Doctors cageside which this article neglects to add,which is unfair on the lads promoting it,Im not saying it was up to ufc level medical standards but fair is fair and its not mentioned here.

Good on Cage Kings. Was it a good event? In fairness to the author tho, he did not name any promotion for praise or critism. I would say even if 1 promotion reads that and thinks "Oh no, we're doing it wrong" and starts getting medical staff in then the article has been a success.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I get what you are saying. The ref should have stopped it in the 3rd round when Weidman ate an insane amount of punches. He came out firing in the 4th and was winning until he tried the wheel kick. I still think Herb should have stopped it earlier, even if a fighter can recover in his corner and comeback and win it still should be stopped. The damage is done and they could be fighting on with a concussion or a brain injury and adrenaline is keeping them going, and those extra punches could be the difference between a life threatening trauma.

It's not an easy thing to get perfect and corners should take more responsibility too. Look at Eubank Jr v Blackwell. His corner should have thrown in the towel after round 6, but they were hoping Eubank Jr would gas, where in reality he wasn't beating his face because his Eubank Sr told him to stop targeting the head to avoid causing further damage. Boxing has been around much longer than MMA and they haven't gotten it perfect yet either.

I wasn't actually referring to Weidmann/Rockhold from my last post as I've not yet watched that fight back again from that night(I might actually do that later on now). I just tried to think of a high profile fight were 1 fighter seemed to take a lot of punishment on the groundand a HW title fight seemed high profile enough :pac: I wish I could find the DC/Jones/Dean article as I'm now getting a funny feeling it may have talked about Dean at 194 for inconsistent stoppages.

You're right, boxing haven't got it right so far the same as other sports but its a learning curve which hopefully can make the sport safer in future. A few years ago there was a footballer called Fabrice Maumba who had a heart attack on the pitch. Luckily there was a cardiac doctor in the crowd who was able to help the player even with lack of equipment. Since then clubs(I'm not sure if its compulsary) have installed medical equipment incase anything like this happens again. F1 also has had a lot of safety improvements over the last 20 years. I read some people were very surprised at Alonso's crash last week and thought the way the car's are now designed that couldn't happen....although the way it was designed still probably saved his life.

Its hard to say 1 way or the other at this stage because Blackwell is still in a lot of danger but I didn't think the fight should be stopped until I seen how swollen shut his eye was in the 10th. Upto that point he was defending himself and was coming forward and throwing punches when he got the opportunity. It wasn't just wild swinging, desparation, punches either. Yes he was bloodied up but that was from a broken nose but inbetween rounds, as soon as it was wiped with a towel he looked grand again. His corner, the ref, none of us could see what damage was going on inside his head. At the end of the fight he was walking about & talking to people in the ring and lookedfine. I was really enjoying the fight and I don't like jr so that could have swayed my mind that it shouldn't have been stopped earlier. Personally, I don't think Sr's comments about going for body shots had anything to do him worrying about Blackwell's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Siam put on a decent show. It's worth checking out some of the guys from last night. Craig Coakley is a beast be interesting to see how he gets in vs the English lads now think it could be more of the same for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Its just my opinion, but a few points that brought me to that conclusion are;
    I have never, in any combat sport, heard a corner tell their fighter "You are hurting him too much with this attack method, so change it to something else"...or anything similar to that effect.
    Although very bloodlied and taking a lot of upper cuts, the headshots didn't really seem to be having any effect on Blackwell(apart from the swollen eye which seemed to happen very fast). When he wasn't being pushed back onto the ropes Blackwell was coming forward and throwing some good shots and he was still talking/slabbering at Eubank as they had throughout the fight.
    Eubank(Sr) was a very smart boxer, I think he gave this advise with the thought that Blackwell's high guard would drop to protect himself from bodyshots and therefore give better opportunity for a big headshot. Apart from the uppercuts Eubank didn't manage to land many other good headshots throughout the fight because Blackwell's defence stopped most of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

what he literally said was 'I don't know what to tell you, if the referee doesn't stop this and you keep beating him like this then one he is getting hurt and two if it goes to a decision I don't know why the referee hasn't stopped it
    I don't get why so maybe you shouldn't leave it to the referee, but you're not going to take him out to the face you're going to take him out to the body'

Eubank sr was also the guy fighting Michael Watson when he collapsed in the ring so he has more reason than normal to be interested in the opponents health

what he literally said was 'I don't know what to tell you, if the referee doesn't stop this and you keep beating him like this then one he is getting hurt and two if it goes to a decision I don't know why the referee hasn't stopped it
    I don't get why so maybe you shouldn't leave it to the referee, but you're not going to take him out to the face you're going to take him out to the body'

Eubank sr was also the guy fighting Michael Watson when he collapsed in the ring so he has more reason than normal to be interested in the opponents health

I've tried listening to the video clip back a few times but couldn't get all that. Nothing in that makes me doubt my opinion, nothing in that is Sr saying move to the body because you're hurting his head. The only time he mentions moving to the body is in reference of how to finish the fight.

I'm well aware Eubank fought Watson, I remember watching that fight at the time :( It still doesn't change anything IMO.

IF Sr was truly concerned he would have said "Stop punching him in the face or you will cause him a serious injury" OR he would have walked over to the ref between rounds & questioned why he was allowing Blackwell to take punishment. Eubank saying after "ohhhh I kept on slapping on the ring to get his attention" is a kop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I've tried listening to the video clip back a few times but couldn't get all that. Nothing in that makes me doubt my opinion, nothing in that is Sr saying move to the body because you're hurting his head. The only time he mentions moving to the body is in reference of how to finish the fight.

I'm well aware Eubank fought Watson, I remember watching that fight at the time :( It still doesn't change anything IMO.

IF Sr was truly concerned he would have said "Stop punching him in the face or you will cause him a serious injury" OR he would have walked over to the ref between rounds & questioned why he was allowing Blackwell to take punishment. Eubank saying after "ohhhh I kept on slapping on the ring to get his attention" is a kop out.

If he had no concern for Blackwell why would he have a conversation even resembling that in between rounds? Jr was on his way to winning a title and Sr sounds pretty perplexed and concerned to me. "Kop out" are you even listening to yourself? and the Watson thing doesn't change anything? Utterly bizarre.

Rewatching some classics last night on fightpass forgot how good Matt Brown and Erik Silva was,Matt Brown is a bad bad dude his muay thai is incredible heart of a lion.

I think this discussion has gone on far enough in this thread, so this will be my last reply.
    Davei141 wrote: »
    If he had no concern for Blackwell why would he have a conversation even resembling that in between rounds? Jr was on his way to winning a title and Sr sounds pretty perplexed and concerned to me. "Kop out" are you even listening to yourself? and the Watson thing doesn't change anything? Utterly bizarre.

Why would Eubank have that conversation? Because the fight was very very far from jr being 9-0 in a whitewash, on the scorecards it was probably 6-3 or maybe 5-4 meaning Blackwell could still get a decision. Listen or read Sr's words back carefully "you're not going to take him out to the face you're going to take him out to the body" because he knew, to be sure of winning the fight/belt Jr needed a stoppage. Yes its a kop out! He said that about 45 mins after the fight finished about banging on the ring to get the refs attention, as I said above(& IF he did have concern for Blackwell) he had ample opportunity between rounds to approach the ref with his concerns.....did he? NOPE!

The sentence I've quoted above confirms for me that Sr was thinking about how to win the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Davei141 wrote: »

Watching it live I took it that he felt jr had landed so many good headshots, without wobbling blackwell, that he was never going to knock him out that way. So go to the body and soften him up that way. Just the vibe I got at the time, could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

I think this discussion has gone on far enough in this thread, so this will be my last reply.

Why would Eubank have that conversation? Because the fight was very very far from jr being 9-0 in a whitewash, on the scorecards it was probably 6-3 or maybe 5-4 meaning Blackwell could still get a decision. Listen or read Sr's words back carefully "you're not going to take him out to the face you're going to take him out to the body" because he knew, to be sure of winning the fight/belt Jr needed a stoppage. Yes its a kop out! He said that about 45 mins after the fight finished about banging on the ring to get the refs attention, as I said above(& IF he did have concern for Blackwell) he had ample opportunity between rounds to approach the ref with his concerns.....did he? NOPE!

The sentence I've quoted above confirms for me that Sr was thinking about how to win the fight.

Why is it Eubank Srs responsibility to stop the fight? He did tell his son, hit the body not the head in the closing stages of the fight. Regardless of whether this was to protect Blackwell or not, it undoubtedly prevented Blackwell from being in an even more serious condition. You seem to have some twisted logic that it Eubank Srs fault? It is bad refereeing, I watched the fight multiple times and Blackwell was no where near winning on points, it wasn't 9-0 but there certainly was no doubt that Blackwell needed a Hail Mary to KO. His offensive output waned massively as the fight progressed and he was being pinged with clean upper cuts every time Eubank threw one.

I think the real shame from this fight beyond the obvious that the referee should have recognised that Blackwell was taking far too much damage,was Blackwell's corner. They should have thrown in the towel 2 rounds earlier and probably saved Blackwells career and more importantly his future quality of life. Instead they decided that to allow their fighter continue to prove he was a "hard man" while taking inordinate amounts of serious punishment. The corner are the true ones to blame, they other than the referee are the only ones with the authority to pull Blackwell from that fight, not either of the Eubanks.

That brings up a point that is sadly not really seen in MMA and is in decline in boxing which is throwing in the towel. It should be viewed not with shame but with the a knowing solidarity that the fighter can fight another day. Instead you have guys whose take ridiculous amounts of punishment with no real gain and have a lasting impact on their abilities (.i.e JDS)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What the hell does this have to do with mma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

What the hell does this have to do with mma?

I underlined it and put it in quotation marks to help you.

"That brings up a point that is sadly not really seen in MMA and is in decline in boxing which is throwing in the towel. It should be viewed not with shame but with the a knowing solidarity that the fighter can fight another day. Instead you have guys whose take ridiculous amounts of punishment with no real gain and have a lasting impact on their abilities (.i.e JDS)"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement