Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I underlined it and put it in quotation marks to help you.

"That brings up a point that is sadly not really seen in MMA and is in decline in boxing which is throwing in the towel. It should be viewed not with shame but with the a knowing solidarity that the fighter can fight another day. Instead you have guys whose take ridiculous amounts of punishment with no real gain and have a lasting impact on their abilities (.i.e JDS)"

It was a general statement aimed at the last three pages of a debate on a boxing match. The tenuous link to mma was lost pages ago.

Edit. To be honest I don't think I had even read your post when i posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod note: Lads, can we keep the boxing talk in the boxing forum please?
    I know everyone is interested in what happened in the Eubank Jr fight (myself included) but it's probably best not to stray too far away from the mma talk in here.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Most likely UFC 200 news dropping 6pm our time. ... tweet from Sholler

https://t.co/w89diPiAAf will have some major breaking news at around 10am PT related to an upcoming PPV card. It's good news ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I underlined it and put it in quotation marks to help you.

"That brings up a point that is sadly not really seen in MMA and is in decline in boxing which is throwing in the towel. It should be viewed not with shame but with the a knowing solidarity that the fighter can fight another day. Instead you have guys whose take ridiculous amounts of punishment with no real gain and have a lasting impact on their abilities (.i.e JDS)"

Doesn't bring up the point as that was a big part of the Marc Goddard article I posted a link to yesterday ;)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99198210&postcount=1034

Unfortunately though I do not tihnk corners will start throwing in the towel more in MMA. I think cornermen/coaches will have the same line of thinking as their fighter/students. There has been a lot of debate recently over McGregor tapping to Diaz and the majority of fighters asked said its better to go out with pride rather than tap. I think they would probably view a towel being thrown in would be very similar to tapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cyborg debuting at 198 at 140 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Most likely UFC 200 news dropping 6pm our time. ... tweet from Sholler

https://t.co/w89diPiAAf will have some major breaking news at around 10am PT related to an upcoming PPV card. It's good news ;)

Cyborg v Smith at 198 seems to be the news.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ufc/status/714498513250332673

Edit: dam you pipped me to it lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

If Smith can get tagged by a midget Cybord will rearrange her face fairly quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

2 minute job head clean off.

Devastator wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/time-to-end-hypocrisy-over-mma-fighter-safety-34575032.html

Interesting article regarding fighter safety at Irish shows. IMO fighter safety should be paramount. Maybe its times for fighters/coaches to vote with their feet and demand medical teams be present before they step into fight.

Just to followup to this article from John Kavanagh https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=781395511960555&id=330004463766331
    Please take a moment to read the attached article (http://www.independent.ie/…/time-to-end-hypocrisy-over-mma-…) which came out Sunday, March 26th. It was written by Professor Dan Healy, a Consultant Neurologist at Beaumont Hospital and the Royal College of Surgeons.
    We, the MMA community, are extremely lucky to have someone so knowledgeable in this area to advise us on safety protocols to follow. On his recommendations, along with those set by Safe MMA in the UK and also IMMAF (The International Amateur MMA Federation) the IAPA now has a minimal set of standards for both Pro & Amateur shows in Ireland. There are a lot of excellent points raised in the article however I would point out that it is mostly focused on two components
    1) How Irish MMA was previously before we took it upon ourselves to impose change and 2) a kickboxing show that happened to be held in a cage and adhered to its own kickboxing rule-set but has nothing to do with Ireland's MMA Association.
    On the same night as the kickboxing event, Saturday, March 26th 2016 one of the most important nights in Irish MMA occurred. It was the first IAPA sanctioned amateur event carried out with a standard of medical care higher than most Professional shows around Europe. All fighters on the card competing in Unified Amateur rules contests had annual medicals completed to Safe MMA standard and also had to produce clean blood work. On the night there were 2 doctors cage side accompanied by a paramedic crew who took care of pre fight medical checks and cleared all fighters after the contest. Congratulations to IAPA Commissioner Deano Wade ensuring all i's were dotted and t's crossed on the night and also to the promoter of Evolution FC, Keiran Davern, for sparing no expenses in making this show as safe as possible. The standard has been set for all future shows and I would ask all promoters and coaches to contact the IAPA and make sure their event is sanctioned by the IAPA to ensure these standards are maintained.
    Any advice, funding and help we could get from the Irish Sports Council would be greatly appreciated and accepted but I think the Irish community has shown its forward thinking by coming together to form the IAPA and impose very high medical standards on ourselves. As president of the Irish MMA Association, I'm very proud of this day and know that the future of both amateur and professional MMA in Ireland is in good hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Christ the UFC are really killing it this year. 197 is a great card, 198 is insane, great UFC on Fox card in Tampa, 199 has two great title fights and then UFC 200 is clearly gonna be stacked. Exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gamebred wrote: »
    Rewatching some classics last night on fightpass forgot how good Matt Brown and Erik Silva was,Matt Brown is a bad bad dude his muay thai is incredible heart of a lion.

And to think Artem wanted to fight Matt Brown. I love Artem, but ****ing hell. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Gamebred wrote: »
    Rewatching some classics last night on fightpass forgot how good Matt Brown and Erik Silva was,Matt Brown is a bad bad dude his muay thai is incredible heart of a lion.

His fight with Robbie Lawler is one of my favourite ever. Absolute warriors

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Christ the UFC are really killing it this year. 197 is a great card, 198 is insane, great UFC on Fox card in Tampa, 199 has two great title fights and then UFC 200 is clearly gonna be stacked. Exciting times!

And to think before the end of the year the New York card aswell! :eek::eek:

Even the rumours of possible matchups for that are worth drooling over

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

Jon Jones on MMA Hour just now saying he got 5 driving tickets a few days ago. Can he not just hire a driver.

Joe24 wrote: »
    Jon Jones on MMA Hour just now saying he got 5 driving tickets a few days ago. Can he not just hire a driver.

I'm not listening but from twitter updates people saying he was caught drag racing then got mouthy with the cops? :confused:

DC(Booooooooooooooooooooooo) will be loving this :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Devastator wrote: »
    I'm not listening but from twitter updates people saying he was caught drag racing then got mouthy with the cops? :confused:

He sure did get mouthy!

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/28/jon-jones-calls-cop-f-king-liar-pig-apologizes-video/

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

CatFromHue wrote: »

Cop seems like a bit of a douche.

CatFromHue wrote: »

He would have been better off saying nothing. The cop did sound pretty antagonising I thought but obviously how Jones responded was wrong.

From his previous I'm sure the cops are keeping an extra eye on him but thats when he has to prove everything he has claimed to had learnt and be a good boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I actually believe Jones' version of events and would explain why he lost the plot.

Not even speeding but pulled for "racing". Given a ticket for an exhaust system that was stock on the car and generally being treated like a mug by a cop on a power trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I actually believe Jones' version of events and would explain why he lost the plot.

Not even speeding but pulled for "racing". Given a ticket for an exhaust system that was stock on the car and generally being treated like a mug by a cop on a power trip.

It's hard to know but he should have more cop on. Even if the cop was in the wrong he should have been polite and not verbally abused him. He's on strike 3 at this stage so you'd think he would have more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's hard to know but he should have more cop on. Even if the cop was in the wrong he should have been polite and not verbally abused him. He's on strike 3 at this stage so you'd think he would have more sense.

He was polite but the cop was pushing his buttons

If the camera was constantly recording then why didn't tmz manage to get a video of him "racing", I know if have a similar reaction in his shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ASOT wrote: »
    If the camera was constantly recording then why didn't tmz manage to get a video of him "racing", I know if have a similar reaction in his shoes.

Because cops tend to "leak" stuff that suits their version of events and sit on stuff and make it as hard to get as possible when it makes them look like dicks.

Funny that.

Because cops tend to "leak" stuff that suits their version of events and sit on stuff and make it as hard to get as possible when it makes them look like dicks.

Funny that.

Exactly. In the grand scheme of things though Jones should have a 24/7 driver though trouble just seems to follow him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Deadst4r wrote: »
    Cop seems like a bit of a douche.

Didn't see anything wrong with what the cop saying tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    He was polite but the cop was pushing his buttons

Ya cursing at the cop and calling him a fcuking liar is super polite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Any opinion on what Ariel Helwani said? Heavily insinuating he was not kept on as a result of the leaking the news on Diaz v Conor 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Why does Jones even have a licence at this point?

He should be in the middle of a lengthy ban right now with his past. He won't be happy until he kills someone in a car, even if he wasn't racing this time (no proof either way) I have absolutely no sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Aldo preparing to fight at UFC 200

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgvHkoDTgO/?hl=en

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement