Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Lukker- wrote: »
    Aldo preparing to fight at UFC 200

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgvHkoDTgO/?hl=en

Frankie rematch should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Any opinion on what Ariel Helwani said? Heavily insinuating he was not kept on as a result of the leaking the news on Diaz v Conor 2.

I don't think it was that at all. He has always broke fights and they've never seemed to mind.

I think it has more to do with having Rory MacDonald on the MMA hour announcing that he was considering leaving the UFC and becoming a free agent.

This after he already has Bendo and Mitrione announce they were leaving the UFC to sign with Bellator.

It was too much of a conflict of interest for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I don't think it was that at all. He has always broke fights and they've never seemed to mind.

I think it has more to do with having Rory MacDonald on the MMA hour announcing that he was considering leaving the UFC and becoming a free agent.

This after he already has Bendo and Mitrione announce they were leaving the UFC to sign with Bellator.

It was too much of a conflict of interest for them.

I thought he's comment about 'you can look online, people are smart and figured it out for themselves". Most of the chatter was about announcing the Diaz rematch. It was vague and honestly either way it's a shambles.

I thought he's comment about 'you can look online, people are smart and figured it out for themselves". Most of the chatter was about announcing the Diaz rematch. It was vague and honestly either way it's a shambles.

Most forums I read they think it's to do with MacDonald and free agency. He said he got the call straight after doing the MMA hour so that's what makes me lean towards that. The Diaz rematch announcement was a tweet. It could've played a part too and he said during the interview that it had been building for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

What's I've gathered form my internet detective work is that he was asked not to have people on the podcast talking about jumping ship and then had 4 in a few weeks (Sterling, Bendo, Meathead and Rory) all talking about doing it or potentially doing it.

They told him about the Diaz fight knowing he'd tweet about it, they feed him stuff to leak all the time, standard procedure.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing the announcement Sholler was talking about is going to be GSP is back and fighting Lawler at UFC200.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

weemcd wrote: »
    Why does Jones even have a licence at this point?

He should be in the middle of a lengthy ban right now with his past. He won't be happy until he kills someone in a car, even if he wasn't racing this time (no proof either way) I have absolutely no sympathy.
    He'll probably get away with killing someone anyway

He'll probably get away with killing someone anyway

He been killin the game for a minute now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Aldo preparing to fight at UFC 200

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgvHkoDTgO/?hl=en

That'll give him about 13 weeks to get an injury! Plenty of time :eek: FFS Aldo could fit 3 injuries in within that time :pac:

In terms of Helwani, I think it was a conflict of interest in him being a journalist and being employed by UFC/Fox. My understanding was journos should always be impartial so they can give a fair assessment.
    Apart from that though, did anyone else get the impression from him that hes been getting a bit big for his boots recently? There was a few different things I've heard from him which took me by surprise and I thought it seemed a bit odd for him. 1 example I remember from a mma hour show a few weeks ago was when he was talking to Mittrione about 196 and the leadup. The subject of Jones/DC came up from the unstoppable presser and he said to MM "Ohhh I got the 2nd biggest cheer of the day after Jones", it just sounded so cringey and weird thing to say when discussing it with MM. That could go along with the other comments about him disregarding a UFC request not to have fighters on who contract is expiring, which again links up with the conflict of interest.

To be fair to him, I think he's dead right to tell them to eff off if they asked him not to have certain people on his show.
    He covers MMA in general, not just the UFC, and he wasn't working for the UFC, he was working for FOX, so they weren't even paying him.

• Advertisement

To be fair to him, I think he's dead right to tell them to eff off if they asked him not to have certain people on his show.
    He covers MMA in general, not just the UFC, and he wasn't working for the UFC, he was working for FOX, so they weren't even paying him.

Fox and UFC are very much business partners, it's in Fox's interest for the UFC to be as strong as possible and not be undermined by fighters leaving etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

...and he wasn't working for the UFC, he was working for FOX, so they weren't even paying him.
    That would be the case if he was working for am independent UFC/MMA program on Fox. But it's not independent, Fox are broadcasting the UFC in an official capacity. They are basically co-promoting the non PPV events

Mellor wrote: »
    That would be the case if he was working for am independent UFC/MMA program on Fox. But it's not independent, Fox are broadcasting the UFC in an official capacity. They are basically co-promoting the non PPV events

No, they buy the broadcast rights, much like Sky and BT Sports buy the broadcast rights for The Premier League/La Liga/Serie A/etc.

He was no more working for the UFC than Michael Owen works for the Premier League or Guillem Balague works for La Liga.

And again, as a freelance journalist, he was dead right to tell them to feck off. It would be another thing entirely if he was interviewing Meathead and Bendo about signing for Bellator on the show on FOX, but he wasn't.

Football and mma are completely different though,they dont compare,ones a sport,the others a sport/entertainment business,

I dont know why anyone cares about Helwani anyways people get too caught up in the whole mma/ufc world too much like its coronation st,yeah its good crack to follow it but people are living and breathing mma media every day.

Gamebred wrote: »
    people get too caught up in the whole mma/ufc world too much like its coronation st,yeah its good crack to follow it but people are living and breathing mma media every day.

Gamebred, 1,620 posts on MMA forum since November :pac::pac::pac:

Devastator wrote: »

Ah I'm an mma nerd but its the fighters I love all this crap with jones speeding tickets,free agents and helwani losing a job who gives a rats :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

yeah its good crack to follow it but people are living and breathing mma media every day.

ironic since you basically live on this forum isnt it

ironic since you basically live on this forum isnt it

:D You must be a fan? considering you've 3 posts in the forum are you checking in yourself every day?

Ah I'm an mma nerd but its the fighters I love all this crap with jones speeding tickets,free agents and helwani losing a job who gives a rats :pac:

ahaha I know but I just seen the ball in the air and had to swing the bat at it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I hope Leslie Smith is taking an extra few bob home with her for stepping up against Cyborg. Could be enhancing her already bonafide cauliflower ears here :eek:

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »

Madness :D

Tbf sometimes makes sense like us all I guess contributing.

While we're at it any link to Jorge Masvidal? Gamebred fighter eh? :D

Madness :D

Tbf sometimes makes sense like us all I guess contributing.

While we're at it any link to Jorge Masvidal? Gamebred fighter eh? :D

Yeah im a big fan I was watching his documentary at the time I registered and couldnt think of a user name,I advise you to give it a watch if ya havent seen it gas bloke.

I have to stay up for another hour and twenty minutes for work, we have people in Lahore and they have to check in at 8am local time every morning so we know they're alive, so one of the European based staff members has be available between 6am and 8am local time (2am and 4 am Irish time) waiting on a phone call.

Recommend me stuff to watch on fight pass, I've made my way through the EBI's already...

I have to stay up for another hour and twenty minutes for work, we have people in Lahore and they have to check in at 8am local time every morning so we know they're alive, so one of the European based staff members has be available between 6am and 8am local time (2am and 4 am Irish time) waiting on a phone call.

Recommend me stuff to watch on fight pass, I've made my way through the EBI's already...

Give fightville a watch if you havent seen it Poiriers documentary,or bj penns one 'mana' should find both on youtube if your in the humour for a doc.

No, they buy the broadcast rights, much like Sky and BT Sports buy the broadcast rights for The Premier League/La Liga/Serie A/etc.
    No, BT Sports by the broadcast rights for the UFC. Fox are involved on a much closer level. Look at the naming of events;

"UFC on Fox: Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson"
    He was no more working for the UFC than Michael Owen works for the Premier League or Guillem Balague works for La Liga.
    Nobody said he works for the UFC. I'm saying that Fox Sports, and their UFC programming doesn't existing independently from the UFC. The UFC have quite a bit of control of the Fox Studio content I'd imagine.
    And again, as a freelance journalist, he was dead right to tell them to feck off. It would be another thing entirely if he was interviewing Meathead and Bendo about signing for Bellator on the show on FOX, but he wasn't.
    He's not a freelance journalist. His other work is for SB Nation. There's no way he could do both and not have them conflict. He was right to side with the non-fox side, hopefully he can just go back to the way it was.

Yeah im a big fan I was watching his documentary at the time I registered and couldnt think of a user name,I advise you to give it a watch if ya havent seen it gas bloke.

Haven't seen it but will do, I recall him having an obsession with fighting in Japan in a good few of his interviews overtime. Maybe Asia in general given S.Korea was his fight with Bendo with him though I thought it was clear for Bendo surprised it was slipt tbh.

Mellor wrote: »

He's not a freelance journalist. His other work is for SB Nation. There's no way he could do both and not have them conflict. He was right to side with the non-fox side, hopefully he can just go back to the way it was.

Helwani will end up at ESPN I reckon, he'll get more journalistic license there but he'll no longer be an insider at the UFC.

Helwani will end up at ESPN I reckon, he'll get more journalistic license there but he'll no longer be an insider at the UFC.
    I think so two, only obstacle is whether they'll want the MMA hour under their banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Jon Jones pulled for speeding vids.

• Advertisement

Kenny Florian (I know) saying GSP will return this year but not in time for UFC 200.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement