Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Gamebred wrote: »
    Without clogging up the McGregor threads,

Whats the opinion on Frankie Aldo? I fancy Frankie in this Aldos had a war and then be ko'd stiff in his last 2 fights he cant be the same after that damage I worry for his chin,thats if he makes the walk.

Can see this going the way of the Edger v Mendes fight, with Frankie again making hay from the damage his opponent took from a KO from Conor.

Statistically in the UFC, Aldo wont even make the fight so I’m guessing they’ll have Holloway waiting as a backup. If not I wouldn’t mind them just making Frankie the official #1 contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

akelly02 wrote: »
    i have my first childs christening that day...how will i keep going from 3 pm saturday to 5.30 am sunday morning? :(

Like Cowboy Cerrone says.........."I know a guy" ;):P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is it just me that's pretty disappointed with UFC 200 at the moment? They're all interesting fights don't get me wrong, but I thought the UFC would go bat **** crazy for this one.

If I was matchmaking as a fan (as opposed to the vast majority of thinking being monetary) I don't think I'd have many of these fights on my dream UFC 200 card. It's far from what I thought it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Paully D wrote: »
    Is it just me that's pretty disappointed with UFC 200 at the moment? They're all interesting fights don't get me wrong, but I thought the UFC would go bat **** crazy for this one.

If I was matchmaking as a fan (as opposed to the vast majority of thinking being monetary) I don't think I'd have many of these fights on my dream UFC 200 card. It's far from what I thought it was going to be.

I was saying to one of the lads today at work that a few weeks ago we predicted three title fights with McG, Lawler and maybe Jones all defending and what's been announced is probably a fairly stacked card but not atall what I expected. If RDA is announced too then the top three fights all tie back to McG really. Very surprising but definitely a card to get excited for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Still two fights to be announced for the main card probably including another title fight, so there's plenty left to come. I'll reserve judgement til I hear a few more fights announced. Even the prelims on this will have plenty of big names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Devastator wrote: »
    Like Cowboy Cerrone says.........."I know a guy" ;):P:pac:

Ha is it a mr White?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Great interview by Peter Carroll with Seery and the Team Ryano lads.

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/neil-seery-a-lot-of-fighters-are-living-beyond-their-means

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Couldn't agree more, interesting fights alright but nothing special. It's behind ufc 196 at the moment. I like Edgar a lot but Aldo/Frankie is underwhelming with McGregor fighting on the same card and the Diaz rematch doesn't have the same appeal as the original, so far at least

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Couldn't agree more. I thought for sure that they would have put Cyborg on 200. As it stands, UFC 198 is a far more interesting card to me. Some absolutely brilliant match ups on it.

UFC 200 by its name alone probably sells itself but there's nothing hugely mindblowing about the card. BJ Penn's return would be an interesting addition.

It's unlikely that they'll spring a surprise but if they did, I'd love them to do GSP/Lawler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It's turned out to be forming strangely alright, they've been plugging it for over a year pretty much, going into new Vegas venue, most comparing to 100, MMA media anticipating 200 and asking questions at any given moment yonks before it didn't help matters.

Something I noticed on the bouts as things stand the ones most likely on main so far Diaz/McG, Aldo/Edgar Velasquez/Browne all contain fighters coming off a loss obviously going back to 100 again every fighter on the main card then were coming off a win. They haven't put together a card of fantasy really but one which is certainly commercially viable.

It's a fine card I'm not going to be saying anything crazy like I won't be watching or anything just perhaps not the one I was expecting is all, I Imagine New York if it happens will become the true marquee event this year but hey look at 198 massive card too.

Sage Northcutt fighting some Enrique Marin lad announced there too for 200.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That_Guy wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. I thought for sure that they would have put Cyborg on 200. As it stands, UFC 198 is a far more interesting card to me. Some absolutely brilliant match ups on it.

UFC 200 by its name alone probably sells itself but there's nothing hugely mindblowing about the card. BJ Penn's return would be an interesting addition.

It's unlikely that they'll spring a surprise but if they did, I'd love them to do GSP/Lawler.

Just checked out the lineup for 198, now that is a card!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Funk master v Mr. Tate added to FN : Almeida v Garbrandt ; noice!

Caraway finally stopped ducking people, Sterling is going to put him asleep with a choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aprils fools, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Mellor wrote: »
    Aprils fools, lol

It was announced Stateside 31st March though

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Devastator wrote: »
    It was announced Stateside 31st March though
    phew...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Just checked out the lineup for 198, now that is a card!

Potential card of the year there, top to bottom quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I’m on the fence about whether to be unhappy about the 200 card or ok with it given the quality of the other cards around it.

Is one mind blowing event worth having shell cards around it or having larger gaps between events?

It might be me getting on in age but it think I’m leaning towards consistency rather than one off gratification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I dont care really,we get a few seriously good ppv events leading up to it so it will spread the great fights over a few weekends less is more sometimes.

Lads if you had to pick only one fight to watch that scheduled for the next few months what would you pick?

I'd go Wonderboy - Rory

• Advertisement

Jones/Cormier but it would be a toss up with Wonderboy/Rory.... The appeal of seeing Cormier lose "his" belt & cry is to much to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lads if you had to pick only one fight to watch that scheduled for the next few months what would you pick?

I'd go Wonderboy - Rory

I'm gonna go with Cruz v Faber for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'd go Wonderboy - Rory

Lot of sick fights coming up but I think I'd agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd go Wonderboy - Rory

Hard to argue with that choice, I'm really looking forward to Pettis vs Barboza too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wonderboy Rory should be epic but i think Aldo Frankie is gonna be some war.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

I'd go Wonderboy - Rory

Probably Wonderboy vs Red King also.

Although honorable mention to Sanchez vs J-Lau. If that's a boring fight I'll drop my monocle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'd go Wonderboy - Rory

Pettis v Barboza

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1070226469700356&id=117291631660516

Norman Parke posted on FB hes been cut by the ufc,said its no april fools joke,bad move by the ufc I think hes a good journeyman to have around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1070226469700356&id=117291631660516

Norman Parke posted on FB hes been cut by the ufc,said its no april fools joke,bad move by the ufc I think hes a good journeyman to have around.
    ah, he was a boring fighter, no loss if real

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

he might have been a boring fighter but when he threw the bad at your man in the weigh ins it was hilarious

any word on fights for either Daly or Holohan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement