Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I just don't know what to say anymore..It's like Oprah is handing out belts for everyone. Funk me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Sure we even have an interim ufc 200 thread until Paully makes the real thing, things are gone out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What if.......OSP wins.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Further proof to the idiots who think its a sport where you get what you deserve and titles have any meaning other than commercial advantages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Zero-Cool wrote: »

If OSP beats Jones ill get an OSP tattoo :pac:

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »

The world would go into melt down.

ASOT wrote: »
    Sure we even have an interim ufc 200 thread until Paully makes the real thing, things are gone out of control.

I was actually thinking about that the other day that it's sad that Paully won't? get the official 200 thread....

I was actually thinking about that the other day that it's sad that Paully won't? get the official 200 thread....

It happened the last time, just close that one let him open the official one with the fight card etc, has to be done!

It happened the last time, just close that one let him open the official one with the fight card etc, has to be done!

Happened the last time but 200 is a landmark. I doubt the mods will close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gamebred wrote: »

Screenshotted that just in case. ;)

• Advertisement

Happened the last time but 200 is a landmark. I doubt the mods will close it.

Let's start a go fund me to get Paully the 200 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

If interim titles ever meant much, they don't mean anything now. Everyone knows it's just a no. 1 contender fight. It used to be a way of having a fight headline over another title fight like with 189, but that didn't matter for the Conor-Nate fight! It means they can hype up a big "champion vs. champion" unification fight aswell, but if they keep doing it this often that will lose it's special attraction.

It's a joke having an interim title fight for this, but Jones is the real champ anyway so I'm not too bothered in that regard. But it's a bit mad seeing OSP in a "title" fight, interim or not. I can't see a situation where he wins but just imagine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

If the UFC200 is the interim thread then is the gambling thread the interim interim unofficial ufc200 thread?

Don't really mind the interim belt being on the line, it's not a real title and it gives it more of a big fight feel IMO.

It could also indicate that Cormier could be out for a long time with this injury unfortunately.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Don't really mind the interim belt being on the line, it's not a real title and it gives it more of a big fight feel IMO.

It could also indicate that Cormier could be out for a long time with this injury unfortunately.

Good point actually. Could be a pretty serious injury. All these interim titles bother me though. It's basically a marketing tool.

Good point actually. Could be a pretty serious injury. All these interim titles bother me though. It's basically a marketing tool.

He has a interosseous membrane injury to his leg, having a look around the Web it seems like a fancy word for a sprain but I could be way off.

I think they're expecting the NYC card to be in the final 1/4 of the year(Oct,Nov or Dec). Would DC have the balls to defend against Jones in NYC? I doubt it but it would be a huge fight to put on there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

This is a complete joke, why in fcuks name is another interim being created. Especially vs a fighter who doesn't deserve to be within a street of a title fight.

That's all it is, but that's why I don't get why people get worked up about it. At the end of the day it's a business and that business belongs to the Fertittas, so they can do whatever they see fit as far as I'm concerned. We still get all the big fights we want to see, and I'm not one who cares about the implications of those fights, I just want to see the best vs. the best.

I get why people don't like it though, because that sort of thing is important to a lot of people, just not to me.

That's all it is, but that's why I don't get why people get worked up about it. At the end of the day it's a business and that business belongs to the Fertittas, so they can do whatever they see fit as far as I'm concerned. We still get all the big fights we want to see, and I'm not one who cares about the implications of those fights, I just want to see the best vs. the best.

I get why people don't like it though, because that sort of thing is important to a lot of people, just not to me.

I'm of the same feeling as yourself, I don't care what thwre fighting for it could be a blue Peter badge, aslong as the fights good and we got the big fights that's what matters.

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote: »
    I think they're expecting the NYC card to be in the final 1/4 of the year(Oct,Nov or Dec). Would DC have the balls to defend against Jones in NYC? I doubt it but it would be a huge fight to put on there

He's not a draw no matter what he says so he'll defend wherever they tell him to and thank them for the cheque after.

NYC is the right way to go with it if Cormier is healthy by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I wonder was the decision to make it an interim title fight made after they knew it was going to be OSP

Surely Rumble, if he was offered the fight, would have taken it for an interim title

I think I need to change my mindset to be honest. The way things have gone with the ufc it is, like you say, all about the business. I just remember the old days where it was good, honest two of the best guys beating the hell out of each other for a title.

He's not a draw no matter what he says so he'll defend wherever they tell him to and thank them for the cheque after.

NYC is the right way to go with it if Cormier is healthy by then.

OH I know hes not the draw but Im just thinking back to a podcast I remember hearing him on back in December. The question was put to him about defending against JJ and what would he think about it if it was in NY. He started giving out thats hes the champ blah blah blah and why should JJ get the advantages of fighting in his home state and have the crowd behind him blah blah

I wonder was the decision to make it an interim title fight made after they knew it was going to be OSP

Surely Rumble, if he was offered the fight, would have taken it for an interim title

I doubt the interim would have mattered to Rumble. The opportunity to beat Jones is better than any plastic belt. He mustn't be ready. To be honest he probably weighs 250lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gamebred wrote: »

If you're really serious you'll get a tattoo that says " if mendes had a full camp he would've won"

I think I need to change my mindset to be honest. The way things have gone with the ufc it is, like you say, all about the business. I just remember the old days where it was good, honest two of the best guys beating the hell out of each other for a title.
    That's all it is, but that's why I don't get why people get worked up about it. At the end of the day it's a business and that business belongs to the Fertittas, so they can do whatever they see fit as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a traditionalist sports fan and I want to watch the best compete against the best but you're right, its just about business now, especially as money is increasing. Plenty of examples around other sports.

"Champions" league in football can have upto 5 teams from 1 league going into the competition. They're even talking about in future teams that have won it getting priority no matter where they finish in their league.

In the premier league darts it started out with the top 8 ranked players(rankings based on earning over 2 years). A few years ago it was increased to 10 players and only the top 4 ranked players automatically getting in with 6 wild cards split between the promoter & sky, ensuring they can keep their 'big name' players in even if they're playing crap.

I had another example from another sport which I can't remember anymore :rolleyes::( but basically business is business and they'll scrap the fair side of sports for money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Apparently Rumble is just after a dental procedure and can't even wear a mouthpiece at the minute.

Heres the video of DW announcing and trying to justify the fight.

Apparently DC only out for upto 6 weeks, so UFC200 would be very possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

At what point do people think it became all about business/money?

IMO it used to be the best fighters in the division fighting for the belts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement