Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

lougal88 wrote: »
    100% Agreed, followed closely by Heavyweight and Flyweight.

OSP was the only real candidate. Jones might as well move up to heavyweight once he beat DC again.

It puts lightweight into perspective, scary division full of killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

ASOT wrote: »
    It puts lightweight into perspective, scary division full of killers.

LW has been one of the deepest divisions for years, probably my favourite division. That Ferguson v Khabib fight and Pettis v Barboza are as exciting as anything coming up! Cant wait to see who fights RDA next.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,382 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If anything that just shows how thin the division is
    That's the crux of it really. To really cement it into place, here's 9 to 15 places
    9 Jimi Manuwa
    10 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
    11 Patrick Cummins
    12 Corey Anderson
    13 Ilir Latifi
    14 Nikita Krylov
    15 Gian Villante

To be fair, Belfort, Machida and possibly some other top MWs gravitated to 185 to avoid Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    That's the crux of it really. To really cement it into place, here's 9 to 15 places

To be fair, Belfort, Machida and possibly some other top MWs gravitated to 185 to avoid Jones.

Big year for Latifi coming up, he has Rumble ko power. Could easily see him beating everyone bar the top three.
    LW has been one of the deepest divisions for years, probably my favourite division. That Ferguson v Khabib fight and Pettis v Barboza are as exciting as anything coming up! Cant wait to see who fights RDA next.

Have a feeling the could pop Khabib/RDA on to ufc 200, after he beats Ferguson.

Big year for Latifi coming up, he has Rumble ko power. Could easily see him beating everyone bar the top three.

Does Latifi have the gas tank thought to hang in with the likes of Gus, Bader, Anderson?

I reckon the UFC are praying that Ferguson wins that fight to set up a UFC 200 match with RDA. The casual fans wont want to see a grappling match regardless of how high-level Khabib is.

• Advertisement

I reckon the UFC are praying that Ferguson wins that fight to set up a UFC 200 match with RDA. The casual fans wont want to see a grappling match regardless of how high-level Khabib is.
    I can't imagine they care. Tony is exciting and on a good run. Khabib is 22-0 and ragdolls people. It's not like his grappling is a lay and pray boring variation.

tumblr_mndqwjRz6p1qfrkf9o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Wouldn't go as far to say he has Rumbles KO power now, a good fighter none the less, but would be doing well to crack the top 5.

UFC 200 is too soon for the winner of that fight as well, especially with Khabib's history. I wouldn't sleep on El Cucey either. Really looking forward to seeing how his guard stacks up to Khabib's sambo. Excellent match up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I give ferguson little chance against khabib personally although no result will ever surprise me anymore I think the dagestani cowboy is in another universe when it comes to grappling look forward to see if he can do it for 5 rds off an injury lay off,

The LHW division is garbage outside the top few theres no up and coming fighter in the division really,there is hardly ever a LHW bout it feels like Jones dc or gus never fight (always great bouts when they do).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Gamebred wrote: »
    I give ferguson little chance against khabib personally although no result will ever surprise me anymore I think the dagestani cowboy is in another universe when it comes to grappling look forward to see if he can do it for 5 rds off an injury lay off,

The LHW division is garbage outside the top few theres no up and coming fighter in the division really,there is hardly ever a LHW bout it feels like Jones dc or gus never fight (always great bouts when they do).

Closest thing to a prospect at LHW is Corey Anderson and I wouldn't rate him very highly, his win over Lawlor at 196 wasn't convincing at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

shrewdness wrote: »
    Closest thing to a prospect at LHW is Corey Anderson and I wouldn't rate him very highly, his win over Lawlor at 196 wasn't convincing at all.

Yeah all the good prospects are at the lighter weights Almeida Sterling Yair Rodriguez Bektic a few who have championship potential.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I can't imagine they care. Tony is exciting and on a good run. Khabib is 22-0 and ragdolls people. It's not like his grappling is a lay and pray boring variation.

tumblr_mndqwjRz6p1qfrkf9o1_500.gif

I take your point, but as far as the "moving the needle" argument that Dana uses I don't think Khabib or RDA can really sell a fight either, whereas El Cucuy can talk smack.

Plus you can audibly hear fans at the big shows booing as soon as the fight is taken to the ground, which it inevitably will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

DC on the mma hour was worse than I expected :eek:

Devastator wrote: »
    DC on the mma hour was worse than I expected :eek:

I listened to it this morning but I was kinda working at the same time, did I miss something outrageous?

I know that's where he mentioned training OSP, hoping that he beats jones etc. But did he insult Bones? May have missed a few bits.

Plus you can audibly hear fans at the big shows booing as soon as the fight is taken to the ground, which it inevitably will.
    That's really not true tbh, it's not 2006 anymore.

I listened to it this morning but I was kinda working at the same time, did I miss something outrageous?

I know that's where he mentioned training OSP, hoping that he beats jones etc. But did he insult Bones? May have missed a few bits.

I have no idea what you class as outrageous, I just think he came across worse than I eas expecting...and I was not expecting a whole lot!

Going on about he wants the Jones fight more than anything in the world but its DW & Lorenzo who won't let him fight. They told him "DC you're the champ, you need to be fit to fight". Playing the victim card none stop. Claims OSP is his friend but put him down throughout aswell as the horrendous offer to coach OSP. I think Helwani thought it was a windup because he said "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" 2/3 times as DC was talking about his offer to OSP.

Devastator wrote: »
    I have no idea what you class as outrageous, I just think he came across worse than I eas expecting...and I was not expecting a whole lot!

Going on about he wants the Jones fight more than anything in the world but its DW & Lorenzo who won't let him fight. They told him "DC you're the champ, you need to be fit to fight". Playing the victim card none stop. Claims OSP is his friend but put him down throughout aswell as the horrendous offer to coach OSP. I think Helwani thought it was a windup because he said "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?" 2/3 times as DC was talking about his offer to OSP.

To make him look like an even bigger numpty OSP turned down his coaching offer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Joke of a decision to be honest. In fact, I had a bet with my mate, me taking Anderson and he taking Lawlor, and when the result as read out I just gave him the money. Terrible decision!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Joke of a decision to be honest. In fact, I had a bet with my mate, me taking Anderson and he taking Lawlor, and when the result as read out I just gave him the money. Terrible decision!

Watching live I thought Lawlor edged it but wasn't overly shocked to hear Anderson won, it was pretty close. However, how two judges scored it 30-27 I'll never know.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Watching live I though Lawlor edged it but wasn't shocked to hear Anderson won, it was pretty close. However, how two judges scored it 30-27 I'll never know.

I thought it was close aswell tbh and after Anderson got a takedown in the 3rd I thought he'd probably nicked it(I'd bet on TL as part of my bet and Im not a wrestling fan either). Echo'ing, how the f*** 2 judges gave it 30-27 is beyond bizarre. I'm going to watch it back on tv to see how it looked but in the venue everyone gasped when those 2 scores were read out.

Last nights twitter exchange can be found here http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/sraftery/fight-off-jon-jones-daniel-cormier-went-war-twitter-last-night/

Among it is ths little gem :pac::pac:

DC "We don't like you. We'd side with anyone fighting u. It's simple!"
    JJ "who's we? You and your vagina?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I hate 'good guy' Jon Jones.

I love 'Heel' Jon Jones. Heel Jon Jones FTW.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I hate 'good guy' Jon Jones.

I love 'Heel' Jon Jones. Heel Jon Jones FTW.

I don't tihnk I would have ever called or thought of him as a bad guy, just seems a bit of a tube at times and does some incredibly daft things but I am enjoying him at present. He's trying so hard to be (or protray) this good guy role but he slips with some of his little comments and you get a glimpse of the real jones bursting at the seems to get out. Its hilarious :pac:

Oh, another thing DC was going on about was how bad JJ's in octagon interviews were and how superior and smart he was compared to him and Jones couldn't think of any good comebacks :confused: The day in octagon interviews are viewed as more important than fight results is the day I will stop watching UFC. It was a very weird statement to make.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought DC got him pretty good with a couple of tweets, especially the reference to him running off after hitting that lady

https://twitter.com/dc_mma/status/717137676772593664

Yeah that was a good one from DC, but overall I think Jones got the better of him(not that this actually matters).

But so much for DC saying he wasn't going to get emotional this time, he kept responding to Jones fans. Earlier yesterday he tweeted a picture of him in hospital for a procedure, so maybe he was still coming down from the meds when he went on the big twitter rant!:pac:

But so much for DC saying he wasn't going to get emotional this time, he kept responding to Jones fans. Earlier yesterday he tweeted a picture of him in hospital for a procedure, so maybe he was still coming down from the meds when he went on the big twitter rant!:pac:

He does seem to be getting caught up in the emotions. I suppose if he's not fighting until July or later he can expend some emotional energy now to help his disappointment in not being able to defend his belt :pac:

Apparently he was getting some sort of stem cell treatment on his injured leg yesterday. He said it would be a much shorter recovery time than surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think DC needs to outsource his Twitter account to Chael P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Why do they hate each other so much?

Was there any particular incident that set this off or is it just a case of two personalities clashing?

It definitely seems to be more than just acting for PPVs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

WarZ wrote: »
    Why do they hate each other so much?

Was there any particular incident that set this off or is it just a case of two personalities clashing?

It definitely seems to be more than just acting for PPVs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

martyos121 wrote: »

your heart would really go out to scholler there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

As SuperCalo tweeted, I imagine Jones pissing himself laughing at that while DC furiously tweets back with steam out of his ears in anger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement