Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

mdwexford wrote: »
    I think Bisping deserves a shot as well so I'm happy for him.

Fair play for stepping up on two weeks notice and fair play to Rockhold for taking the fight as well. Not many champions would take a change of opponent this close to fight night.

Seen few tweets earlier suggesting Rockhold was offered Jacare as 1st option but turned it down knowing he has the beating of Bisping.

I read it with pinch of salt, who knows what really goes on and to speculate and make a drama out of nothing would be straying into anything McG related.

Heart says Bisping but head says Rockhold....really hope my dumb brain is wrong again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Devastator wrote: »
    Seen few tweets earlier suggesting Rockhold was offered Jacare as 1st option but turned it down knowing he has the beating of Bisping.

I read it with pinch of salt, who knows what really goes on and to speculate and make a drama out of nothing would be straying into anything McG related.

Heart says Bisping but head says Rockhold....really hope my dumb brain is wrong again :pac:

Those tweets were way off the mark then, Jacare has a legitimate knee injury, Ariel tweeted an x-ray of it earlier.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Those tweets were way off the mark then, Jacare has a legitimate knee injury, Ariel tweeted an x-ray of it earlier.

as I said, pinch of salt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Delighted for Bisping, he deserves it on merit alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,387 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Delighted for Bisping, he deserves it based onthe current MW rankings. And also delighted that most people see it that way. A few years ago I was in the minority on Team Bisping.

I was at the last Bisping Rockhold event, one of the best events I've been to. Bisping never had a chance of out pointing him, once the gods decided that there would be no decisions that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

looking forward to this!

https://twitter.com/viciomma/status/733095524623077377

Love this fight, Mayday won't dance around Lineker like Font did, should be a great scrap. Definitely fancy McDonald to make him tap though.

Definite pinch of salt needed. They went as are as to offer it to Jacare. He turned it down. Smart move imo.
    I got an offer from the UFC to replace injured Chris Weidman in a middleweight title fight at UFC 199, on June 4, against Luke Rockhold, the current champion. Everybody knows my desire to fight for the title and, if possible, in a rematch with Rockhold. However, I can't let the emotion superimpose the reason.

One week before my fight with Vitor Belfort, I felt a pain in my right knee, but still went to battle. I fought well, but was limping as I left the Octagon. The next Monday, I was examined by doctor Alexandre Campello, who recommended me a MRI to better analyze the situation. While I was waiting for the results, I heard about Weidman's injury. I would only be able to answer the UFC's offer when I knew what I had in my knee. On Wednesday afternoon, with the MRI results, it was decided that I would go through an arthroscopy on Thursday as part of the recovery process for a minor meniscus injury.

Thereby, I can't be fit for such an important fight on June 4. Michael Bisping is the new challenger, and I wish him and Rockhold a great fight. I want to face the winner of this fight soon and, no matter who wins, I will be ready to destroy him and become the new middleweight champion.

I would also like to thank the love from my fans, in person or on social media. I got thousands of messages every day, always supporting me and congratulating me for my work. I'm happy to know that. I also thank the UFC for understanding, and also say thank you to every member of my team.

See you soon in the Octagon!

Cyborg V de Randamie & DJ V Wilson Reis added to 201

Cyborg against big Germaine sounds like a fun fight!! Although she was far taller than Elmoss and in front of home crowd I was impressed with her striking last week, don't think Cyborg is going to have it all her own way.

Dj, one of p4p best in the world against someone who is 4-2 in the UFC and 8th in rankings....suppose its a better record than the TUF winner

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cyborg V de Randamie & DJ V Wilson Reis added to 201

Cyborg against big Germaine sounds like a fun fight!! Although she was far taller than Elmoss and in front of home crowd I was impressed with her striking last week, don't think Cyborg is going to have it all her own way.

Dj, one of p4p best in the world against someone who is 4-2 in the UFC and 8th in rankings....suppose its a better record than the TUF winner

Cyborg has said this isn't happening. Her next fight is an Invicta title defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nice little back and forth between Luke and Mike "You're weak as piss, kiss my arse" :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/UFCUnitedKingdom/?fref=nf

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Nice little back and forth between Luke and Mike "You're weak as piss, kiss my arse" :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/UFCUnitedKingdom/?fref=nf

Mike sounds so odd there, definitely an American accent creeping in by the sounds of it. At least they won't need subtitles for him over there now though. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mike sounds so odd there, definitely an American accent creeping in by the sounds of it. At least they won't need subtitles for him over there now though. :pac:

You can definitely hear a bit of an American twang in there at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I would love if Bisping won the belt and retired in the ring.

It would be the perfect end to his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I would love if Bisping won the belt and retired in the ring.

It would be the perfect end to his career.

I agree, however he has about a 1% chance of this happening. IMO retiring after defeating Anderson - the fight he wanted for years, in front of a home crowd was the perfect time to do it.

Has Bisping talked about retirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Has Bisping talked about retirement?

He has that really bad eye, probably hasn't many miles left on the clock with something that serious

He has that really bad eye, probably hasn't many miles left on the clock with something that serious

Is that a no then and he hasn't talked about it? :pac: At 37? I'd imagine most fighters would have injuries that they have to fight through. I thought with people talking about his perfect retirement situation meant he had talked about potential retirement. IF he does retire sometime soon the Brits really need someone to step up because they'll not have anyone too established in the UFC.

Is that a no then and he hasn't talked about it? :pac: At 37? I'd imagine most fighters would have injuries that they have to fight through. I thought with people talking about his perfect retirement situation meant he had talked about potential retirement. IF he does retire sometime soon the Brits really need someone to step up because they'll not have anyone too established in the UFC.

I'd say Tom Breese will be the next big star from the UK, if there is another one in this generation. He's at an incredible gym as well so he has every chance.

I'd say Tom Breese will be the next big star from the UK, if there is another one in this generation. He's at an incredible gym as well so he has every chance.

Breese has a shot at going far I weel. In terms of taking over the reigns from Bisping. Pickett and Pearson are both popular and could headline UK fightnight cards, but they won't be challenging for the title.

• Advertisement

Yeah agree about Breese having a good chance, although he doesn't seem to have made much of an impact among general fans. He's young though and plenty of time to become better known. As for Pickett & Pearson, although I love watching them both I've felt they are both maybe on the downwards part of their career and its too late for them to be the big UK name.

Here is a spanner being thrown into the works...

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/733676680460394496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Yeah agree about Breese having a good chance, although he doesn't seem to have made much of an impact among general fans. He's young though and plenty of time to become better known. As for Pickett & Pearson, although I love watching them both I've felt they are both maybe on the downwards part of their career and its too late for them to be the big UK name.

Here is a spanner being thrown into the works...

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/733676680460394496

This is the new rules in California, so for 199 only, still interesting, Faber and Cruz both cut a lot of weight.

This seems weird as fook too, why would Feather weights get 13 lbs, lightweights get 14 lbs but welterweights only get 10lbs?

This is the new rules in California, so for 199 only, still interesting, Faber and Cruz both cut a lot of weight.

This seems weird as fook too, why would Feather weights get 13 lbs, lightweights get 14 lbs but welterweights only get 10lbs?

Welterweight is 170 so they get 15lbs.

I think its just a matter of time before the UFC implement this or something similar for future events. They'll probably use this to test the methods and see how it works out. WW limit 170, allowed upto 185, so thats 15lbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I think its just a matter of time before the UFC implement this or something similar for future events. They'll probably use this to test the methods and see how it works out. WW limit 170, allowed upto 185, so thats 15lbs

Brain fart there on my part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Brain fart there on my part!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I taught the UFC have implemented it lads? From 200 onwards you have to be within 8% of your weight class?

ASOT wrote: »
    I taught the UFC have implemented it lads? From 200 onwards you have to be within 8% of your weight class?

I'm not entirely sure but you could be correct. Lauzon has been on twitter argueing with the guy Botter(from tweet earlier) over aspects of the conditions of this, and whether or not these are rules or just guidelines. Joe said hes been onto someone within the UFC brass for clarifaction,etc He's fighting at UFC200, which if it wasn't going to effect him straight away he probably wouldn't be as concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

yeah ufc are bringing it in for 200 onwards, but if you're over the 8% you're not necessarily out of the fight just means the medical staff keep a much closer eye on you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ligerleo

Demetrious Johnson is expected to fight Wilson Reis at UFC 201. If he wins it means he will have nine title defences the same as GSP.

Just wondering do you think if he wins this means he surpasses GSP in terms of greatness?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement