Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

ligerleo wrote: »
    Demetrious Johnson is expected to fight Wilson Reis at UFC 201. If he wins it means he will have nine title defences the same as GSP.

Just wondering do you think if he wins this means he surpasses GSP in terms of greatness?

not a fear of it just means he has the same no of title defenses, I might be wrong but in my opinion gsp defended his title against far better challengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

IF dj wins? hahahahahaha

Personally, no, he doesn't surpass GSP but its all a matter of opinion. My reason is based on DJ being the 1st flyw champion in a new division whereas GSP went into an already very well established division and took it over.

BTW news of that fight was out a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ligerleo wrote: »
    Demetrious Johnson is expected to fight Wilson Reis at UFC 201. If he wins it means he will have nine title defences the same as GSP.

Just wondering do you think if he wins this means he surpasses GSP in terms of greatness?

Sadly he probably won't get the praise he deserves based on who's he's fought, but I think it's possible he's one of the greatest. If there were other elite guys at 125, then we'd know for sure. Nobody has come close to beating him since he won that belt.

hhhmmmmmmmmmm somebodys been added back to ufc.com!

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Brock-Lesnar

:eek::eek::eek:

Devastator wrote: »
    hhhmmmmmmmmmm somebodys been added back to ufc.com!

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Brock-Lesnar

:eek::eek::eek:

Imagine!

• Advertisement

Depp wrote: »
    Imagine!

FS I'm trying not to. I'd quit this forum, I couldn't stick an influx of WWErs telling us what happens in a real fight!

YYYYAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY some good news! Uncle Creepy is back at UFC201 against Justin Scoggins. Heard him on mma hour(about month ago?) and it sounded like he was considering(or decided) retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ligerleo

I agree that GSP has fought better opponents but Demetrios is like the Mayweather of mma. No fighter in the sport matches his stamina and speed.

I think he doesn't get enough credit. I was disappointed he is not fighting at UFC 200, a rematch between him and cruz would have been epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I would love if Bisping won the belt and retired in the ring.

It would be the perfect end to his career.

It would imo be the best moment in mma history for me anyway or very close
    randy beating big tim for me takes some beating

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

FS I'm trying not to. I'd quit this forum, I couldn't stick an influx of WWErs telling us what happens in a real fight!

YYYYAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY some good news! Uncle Creepy is back at UFC201 against Justin Scoggins. Heard him on mma hour(about month ago?) and it sounded like he was considering(or decided) retirement

Eh, what are you on about? I haven't heard any wrestling fans say anything of the sort.

savage! yeah seemed like he was on the way out, would love to see him get the belt!

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    Eh, what are you on about? I haven't heard any wrestling fans say anything of the sort.
    Aye but Brock's UFC.com profile has only reappeared in the last 1/2 hr or so appearently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Aye but Brock's UFC.com profile has only reappeared in the last 1/2 hr or so appearently

Hall of fame possibly? Doubt he'll be in the octagon anytime soon wouldn't say the WWE would disagree to exposure of their employee on an award basis

• Registered Users Posts: 39,388 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any MMA on this weekend and where can I watch it?

Mellor wrote: »
    BAMMA and Bellator are both on I believe. Maybe Spike not sure if they are showing it live tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Hope you didn't bother with that Bellator main last night what a farce! Quiet weekend for MMA this weekend.

jimmii wrote: »
    Hope you didn't bother with that Bellator main last night what a farce! Quiet weekend for MMA this weekend.

What happened? I seen a few tweets about an early pre lim. It was described as an obvious unianimous decision but it took the judges 10 minutes to tally up the scores! I think it was 30-27 x3 :pac: Was the whole event a shambles?

What happened? I seen a few tweets about an early pre lim. It was described as an obvious unianimous decision but it took the judges 10 minutes to tally up the scores! I think it was 30-27 x3 :pac: Was the whole event a shambles?

I just watched the main this morning there was eye pokes low blows Carvalho was throwing lots of dodgy shots but nothing was being done and at the start they just did nothing it was like they didn't realise it was fight! The ref stopped them and was like here lads this isn't a dance off you know hit each other ffs! When the decision came in the commentators were saying it was disgusting that it was horrible for the sport etc very bizarre judging.

At times it felt more like a YouTube Street fight than a title fight in the second highest profile promotion.

Just wondering if any of ye know how long 3e's deal is with the UFC. I know they agreed the deal in 2014 but can't find out how many years it is.

I just watched the main this morning there was eye pokes low blows Carvalho was throwing lots of dodgy shots but nothing was being done and at the start they just did nothing it was like they didn't realise it was fight! The ref stopped them and was like here lads this isn't a dance off you know hit each other ffs! When the decision came in the commentators were saying it was disgusting that it was horrible for the sport etc very bizarre judging.

At times it felt more like a YouTube Street fight than a title fight in the second highest profile promotion.

Sounds like a fiasco! Was reading back through twitter there and everyone was in a rage about it. Someone said Kimbo Vs Dada was like FOTY in comparison :eek::D 1 round was gave to Carvalho even though he didn't throw a single punch or attempt takedown :confused: Was it John McCarthy reffing? I seen something about him threatening to DQ a fighter but hadn't even warned or taken a point off. Lots and lots of negativity towards Bellator & Coker, some people saying they'll not watch any future events!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,388 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Never bothered. Just went to the gym and trained myself.
    Tempted to tuned into Venator now

• Advertisement

Sounds like a fiasco! Was reading back through twitter there and everyone was in a rage about it. Someone said Kimbo Vs Dada was like FOTY in comparison :eek::D 1 round was gave to Carvalho even though he didn't throw a single punch or attempt takedown :confused: Was it John McCarthy reffing? I seen something about him threatening to DQ a fighter but hadn't even warned or taken a point off. Lots and lots of negativity towards Bellator & Coker, some people saying they'll not watch any future events!

The first round was probably the worst I have ever seen its like when you're sparring and both of you have decided your going to focus on trying some countering and no one goes forward! It was John McCarthy couldn't remember his name! Would be interesting to hear from him as to why he didn't take any action as it wasn't just one or two small things they were proper eye pokes and after he gave a warning the very next exchange eye poke again that he didn't spot then there was a shot thrown while he was breaking them up still nothing done. They could have pulled out sticks and he probably would have let it go on!

Never bothered. Just went to the gym and trained myself.
    Tempted to tuned into Venator now

Wise move! Apparently some of the earlier fights were decent enough.

The first round was probably the worst I have ever seen its like when you're sparring and both of you have decided your going to focus on trying some countering and no one goes forward! It was John McCarthy couldn't remember his name! Would be interesting to hear from him as to why he didn't take any action as it wasn't just one or two small things they were proper eye pokes and after he gave a warning the very next exchange eye poke again that he didn't spot then there was a shot thrown while he was breaking them up still nothing done. They could have pulled out sticks and he probably would have let it go on!

Its not often big John comes in for critism but sounds justified. There was a vine on twitter, I'm presuming from the main from what you've said, but I couldn't hear it(laptop volume is crap) and he was apparently shouting at the corner(between rounds) "tell him to close his f***king hands!!"...I would have thought a point deduction would be more effective than shouting at his corner.

Its not often big John comes in for critism but sounds justified. There was a vine on twitter, I'm presuming from the main from what you've said, but I couldn't hear it(laptop volume is crap) and he was apparently shouting at the corner(between rounds) "tell him to close his f***king hands!!"...I would have thought a point deduction would be more effective than shouting at his corner.

Its not like he had that much to focus on it must have had less significant strikes than any other 5 rounder in a long time!

I think that vine must have been after round 3. He poked him in the eye a few times that round don't think it happened again after that round though in fairness. Even in round 5 neither of them seemed to be arsed its amazing to think it was a title fight it was as if they both wanted to avoid the win!

Robert Whiteford from Scotland has been released. Record of 2-3 in UFC with 1 SD loss. I think its a bit harsh but the less Scottish fighters on the books may mean better chance Belfast gets the December event before Glasgow :D

Robert Whiteford from Scotland has been released. Record of 2-3 in UFC with 1 SD loss. I think its a bit harsh but the less Scottish fighters on the books may mean better chance Belfast gets the December event before Glasgow :D

Dam I'm in Edinburgh and was hoping it might not be too long until we saw another card in Scotland! Seems unlikely with them cutting him. Just a couple of days after they released Martins too makes it seem like no matter what happened in that fight they were both gone.

Dam I'm in Edinburgh and was hoping it might not be too long until we saw another card in Scotland! Seems unlikely with them cutting him. Just a couple of days after they released Martins too makes it seem like no matter what happened in that fight they were both gone.

Well the rumours had been Belfast 1st choice & Glasgow as a backup about week before Christmas. We've only had 1 event in 2007, so we're long overdue :pac:

Well the rumours had been Belfast 1st choice & Glasgow as a backup about week before Christmas. We've only had 1 event in 2007, so we're long overdue :pac:

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed!

Yep!! Party in my gaff for boardsies after it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Stipe is killing it on Twitter atm with his Q&A

https://twitter.com/stipemiocicufc/status/734034078937325569

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement