Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NightmareUFC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not a place I'd like to be stuck in for that reason if I'm being honest....

https://twitter.com/JoshSamman/status/734850027147939841

• Registered Users Posts: 39,388 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Asking for it going to Israel in the first place tbh. A US passport is one of the last I'd like to travel on in that part of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    Asking for it going to Israel in the first place tbh. A US passport is one of the last I'd like to travel on in that part of the world

A US passport is the safest thing you could possibly enter Israel with besides an Israeli passport, they are Israel's only Ally and give the Israelis over $3Billion per year in "aid" through direct funding and subsidised military hardware.

In this case the man was detained because he happens to have an Arab name, no other reason, and the fact that he has a US passport is probably the only thing keeping him from being questioned for the next 3 days.

I've had this misfortune of being detained in Tel Aviv because apparently I look like an Arab (I don't) and they wouldn't believe that I was Irish because I looked Arab and have a Spanish name. All this despite them actually knowing who I was, where I was going, who I was meeting and why I was in the country before I ever got on the plane.

A US passport is the safest thing you could possibly enter Israel with besides an Israeli passport, they are Israel's only Ally and give the Israelis over $3Billion per year in "aid" through direct funding and subsidised military hardware.

In this case the man was detained because he happens to have an Arab name, no other reason, and the fact that he has a US passport is probably the only thing keeping him from being questioned for the next 3 days
    My
    That's "aid" operates high up the food chain, makes no difference if a border security agent decides to be a prick because its monday. :D. I wouldn't want to pass through on any passport really.
    I've no idea what Samman background is, but going to anywhere that's conflcited like that always carries a risk imo.
    I've had this misfortune of being detained in Tel Aviv because apparently I look like an Arab (I don't) and they wouldn't believe that I was Irish because I looked Arab and have a Spanish name. All this despite them actually knowing who I was, where I was going, who I was meeting and why I was in the country before I ever got on the plane.
    With a name like Subcomandante Marcos I'm not surprised ;).

I've a bit a of a beard, kinda bushy. My jewish friends laugh that its becoming a full jew beard. The other day a kid stopped me in the street to ask if I was jewish (not the first time either).
    At the same time, my opponent in my last comp was an Arab. He won the match, but after ward compliment me on my attacks, and also my beard.

People see what they want to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

In fairness the guy still has his phone and internet access, he's not exactly getting water boarded....yet

JJayoo wrote: »
    In fairness the guy still has his phone and internet access, he's not exactly getting water boarded....yet

He was allowed to skip along by now

https://twitter.com/JoshSamman/status/734869335706112000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Fecker, I was kept for 5 hours the first time and 8 hours the second time, and the feckers stamped my passport even though I asked them not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

BJ Penn out of UFC 199 for a "potential anti-doping violation" after breaking the rules of IV use out of competition.

Full story: http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/5/23/11756668/b-j-penn-flagged-by-usada-for-iv-use-pulled-from-ufc-199-bout-against?utm_campaign=shaunalshatti&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

It doesn't seem like it's a huge deal if his claims that he wasn't doping are true, there are other reasons he'd take an IV but I wouldn't rule anything out.

IV use is banned in and out regardless of whether he was doping with PEDs or not.
    He disclosed it himself and was probably genuinely unaware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

IV use is banned in and out regardless of whether he was doping with PEDs or not.
    He disclosed it himself and was probably genuinely unaware.

Yeah probably, and on the other hand, a 37 year old mixed martial artist past his prime is getting ready for a UFC comeback. I'm not saying he's doping at all, but there's also no reason to assume everything BJ Penn says is the truth.

Regardless of the outcome of this, he should've known better and it's his responsibility as a professional to make himself familiar with any rule changes since he last fought.

Yeah sure he may well be doping, with all sorts that he knows are illegal. But it makes sense to disclose this really.
    Mayweather got a TUE after the fact from USADA. So they could do the same here is they are happy with his reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just go away BJ

"I love the new PED and IV ban in the UFC. I never took an IV in my life after a weigh-in. IVs are for wimps!"

BJ Penn - July 2015

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just go away BJ

"I love the new PED and IV ban in the UFC. I never took an IV in my life after a weigh-in. IVs are for wimps!"

BJ Penn - July 2015

I think his point is that he only thought they were banned for weigh-ins.
    Not banned for post hangover training :D

BJs an arsehole I'm delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Ack I was looking forward to seeing BJ fight again, even though I think he's too old for a comeback. I loved watching him fight in his prime. If a doctor says he had a genuine reason for needing an IV then he gets cleared right? Doesn't sound like he has much to hide if he was the one that told them he had it. Ya would thinking training at Jackson/Winkeljohn the fighters would have the right way to train/live/not FU drilled into them everyday because of 1 of their most high profile fighters :D

In other news, James Te Huna has retired at 34. He had a 5-5(ufc) record but was on 4 fight losing streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Has anyone heard anything regarding prices for UFC Hamburg tickets which go on sale this week? I've found the below, but surely that can't be correct. €150 top priced ticket?:

https://www.gnp1.de/mma/ufc-news/news/alle-infos-zum-ticketvorverkauf-fuer-ufc-hamburg-diese-woche/ (Google Translated)
    There are still three months to go to UFC Fight Night in Hamburg, but start early as this week of ticket sales for the event in the Barclaycard Arena. Today, the UFC has given the ticket prices for the event on September 3 announced.

There is a total of five give ticket categories, the prices are graded as follows: 40 €, 55 €, 85 €, 105 € and 150 €. All prices include VAT. In addition, the UFC will again offer various VIP packages.

The public sale starts on Friday, 27 May at 10 am on www.eventim.de . Who previously would like to purchase his ticket, should on Thursday the UFC accounts kept in the social networks in the eye or under http://de.ufc.com/hamburg register. With a special code that will be distributed through these channels, tickets can be ordered on Thursday from 10am. Full impatient fans get a Ultimate or Elite membership in the UFC Fight Club already from Wednesday 10:00 the opportunity to order tickets.

First fights for the event are not yet known. Whether there will be a first fight announcement to launch, is unclear.

Paully D wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything regarding prices for UFC Hamburg tickets which go on sale this week? I've found the below, but surely that can't be correct. €150 top priced ticket?:

https://www.gnp1.de/mma/ufc-news/news/alle-infos-zum-ticketvorverkauf-fuer-ufc-hamburg-diese-woche/ (Google Translated)

Look similar sort of prices to Rotterdam I think. Also it says about VIP tickets which will probably be any floor seating and cost a good whack more.

I'd love to goto this, never been to Germany before but no direct flights from Belfast and I've not looked into how hard/easy Hamburg is to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Luke cummo was as tough as ****

• Advertisement

They announced that Ryan Hall is facing Alex White on the Ferguson vs Chiesa card. Alex White is the guy who beat Artem

They announced that Ryan Hall is facing Alex White on the Ferguson vs Chiesa card. Alex White is the guy who beat Artem

Thats weird, was only thinking about wtf happened to Hall on Monday. Wonder why it took so long to book a fight.

Who's Gall supposed to be fighting again? :pac:

https://twitter.com/mickeygall/status/734849903898308610

Paul Daly...that's is all

https://streamable.com/hc85

Semtex is such an appropriate nickname.

Can't wait until he smashes Kos, Kos has been so bad this will be a massacre IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Anyone watching the special edition of MMA Hour?

Nate Diaz looks set to announce he directed Cloverfield and the Blair Witch Project.

Not watching/listening. I only started to listen to last weeks(not even Monday past,last weeks) show today! Bored listening about DJ's fence :rolleyes:

Nate Diaz looks set to announce he directed Cloverfield

209 Cloverfield Lane. John Goodman Stockton slaps the sh*t out of the aliens and saves mankind!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ASOT wrote: »
    Can't wait until he smashes Kos, Kos has been so bad this will be a massacre IMO.

My god ya it will be a mauling. Koscheck of 5 years ago is so far from today. He won't be able to come close to taking Semtex down now.

• Advertisement

Miocic Vs Overeem at UFC 203!

The event is in Cleveland, where I think Miocic is from. I'd love to see the Reem do it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement