Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Cain injured, or Dana just expecting him to be injured?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/ufc/round-6-dana-white-tells-mark-hunt-to-stay-ready-for-ufc-200/news-story/f0fcc4506519a2d3ce35d550704dcbf7
    Speaking with Round 6, Hunt explained how he had phoned White last week to discuss fighting at UFC 205 in November — which also doubles as the company’s hyped debut at Madison Square Garden, New York.
    The UFC president, however, wants the cult heavyweight ready much sooner.

“I asked Dana about New York but he has other plans,’’ Hunt said. “Wants me fighting sooner.
    “I’ve only just got back in the gym but my body is feeling good. So it could be UFC 200, who knows?”
    Currently, star heavyweights Cain Velasquez and Travis Browne are slated to fight at UFC 200 on July 9.
    Velasquez has a long history of being injured in preparations, with Hunt having previously taken his place in a 2014 title fight against Fabricio Werdum.
    Pushed on whether White had mentioned him fighting specifically on the Las Vegas blockbuster, Hunt continued: “Look, I’m just the good ‘ol employee, Mr Hunt.
    “So I’m not allowed to say anything. But I have been told to be ready.
    “It’s all a bit hard to follow at the moment but it seems I could be that fill in guy somewhere.
    “You know, when somebody has a problem you call me. Mr Reliable.
    “I’ll take a fight on a couple of days notice ... (laughs) even if it means a thrashing.”

And so we wait.
    After demolishing future Hall of Famer Frank Mir in March — thanks to a spectacular first round ‘Walk Off’ KO — Hunt insists he wants a rival ranked within the division’s top five.
    But as for who?
    “All of them,’’ he laughs. “When I spoke with Dana I requested every one of the top five guys. One after the other.
    “I said ‘how about him, or him, or him’. This will be my last run. I’ve got six fights left and I want another shot at that title.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Man Mark Hunt is such a legend.

ASOT wrote: »

Love the line.....“When I spoke with Dana I requested every one of the top five guys. One after the other. “I said ‘how about him, or him, or him’. :pac:

Thats how fighters should be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Think Sunday cards always fail to Catch the imagination early.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Renan Barao is 160 pounds one week out from his fight with Jeremy Stephens. His cut to BW must have been nasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Lukker- wrote: »
    Renan Barao is 160 pounds one week out from his fight with Jeremy Stephens. His cut to BW must have been nasty!

I can't imagine he was ever that heavy the week before a BW fight. He should find cutting to FW for this fight, a hell of a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

His autobiography is well worth a read. His childhood was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Paully D wrote: »
    His autobiography is well worth a read. His childhood was horrific.

bits about seeing the grim reaper are terrifying enough!

Apologies if this has been posted already, but Helwani did a special hour long interview with Nate Diaz the other day. I found it really interesting:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

martyos121 wrote:
    It's worth a look if you want to vastly lower your opinion of Joanna Champion. Other than that, it's not been a great season so far.

The fights are ****, no tension and no fun in house either, shaping up to be the worst season of tuf in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The Diaz interview was one big ramble talking absolute rubbish,Helwani only doing it and provoking pay issues now that hes not taking fox money after they sacked him hes going full anti ufc now,

Anyone know if Diaz trains with Andre Ward btw? never heard him mention it.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Anyone know if Diaz trains with Andre Ward btw? never heard him mention it.

Yeah, heard Nick talking about it recently(within last few months). Said he more than holds his own which is why he's flirted with the idea of going into boxing

Devastator wrote: »
    Yeah, heard Nick talking about it recently(within last few months). Said he more than holds his own which is why he's flirted with the idea of going into boxing

I was being sarcastic :pac: the pair of them constantly drop his name,im as big a diaz and skrap pack fanboy as anyone but ive a pain me hole listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

jimmii wrote: »
    The best fight bits so far were probably the elimination episode two fights were crazy come backs. The rest is just Joanna making any excuse to square up to Claudia.

Sound lads, I'll watch the entrance bouts when I've nothin else on plate won't bother with rest

Gamebred wrote:
    The Diaz interview was one big ramble talking absolute rubbish,Helwani only doing it and provoking pay issues now that hes not taking fox money after they sacked him hes going full anti ufc now,

Did the sack him?
    How the hell did I miss that, have you any details on it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Did the sack him?
    How the hell did I miss that, have you any details on it

He went through a bit on MMA hour just after it happened.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ariel-helwani-reveals-why-he-was-fired-from-fox

Eddie Bravos conspiracy talk on the rogan fight companion is ****ing gold im in stitches at the last hour.

jimmii wrote:
    He went through a bit on MMA hour just after it happened.

Thanks

Gamebred wrote:

Jaysus after reading that I can't say I blame him,

This is my fear though as UFC gets more mainstream we end up with mainstream pundits as well.

I mean Brian Stann and Jon Anik last night had all the excitement of an euthanization ward for terminally ill puppies

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I think Brian Stann is ok, his side of commentary is just about explaining the fight from the fighters point of view, and I think he does a decent job of it. His voice does lack a bit of excitement but every time I hear Jon Anik say 'thus far' another little piece of me dies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think whoever comes in for Joe Rogan just won't be up to scratch, but especially Brian Stann

Rogan's been in the job forever, longer than most people here have watched the UFC.

He's the voice of the UFC, most classic UFC moments are accompanied to a Rogan "ooooooohhhhhh", "he's hurt", "it's tight, it's tight, he's out"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I wanna see Rampage on commentary

Arlovski v Barnett confirmed as the main event for Hamburg in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Decent fight that, Big Ben v Werdum also announced for 203.

Decent fight that, Big Ben v Werdum also announced for 203.

Rumours that the UFC wanted Gustafsson in the main event but he didn't want to do a 5 rounder. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the co-main slot.

wow Hollys next opponent Valentina was at a restaurant when the restaurant was getting robbed and her crew got involved in a shootout with the robbers trying to stop the robbers.

http://www.craziestsportsfights.com/ufc-fighter-valentina-shevchenko-involved-armed-robbery-shootout/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

wow Hollys next opponent Valentina was at a restaurant when the restaurant was getting robbed and her crew got involved in a shootout with the robbers trying to stop the robbers.

http://www.craziestsportsfights.com/ufc-fighter-valentina-shevchenko-involved-armed-robbery-shootout/

Absolutely mental story

JJayoo wrote: »
    I wanna see Rampage on commentary

:eek: I hope thats a joke, would make about as much sense on the mic as the tazmanian devil!!

Underwhelming main event IMO. Both coming off defeats, both I don't really think are overly relevant in the division anymore. This is the 3rd European country UFC has held a 1st event in this year and I don't think this main stands up to the last 2(Croatia JDS/Rothwell & Holland Overeem/Arlovski).

Apparently Bader/Latifi is on the card aswell.

Are you going Paully? You posted about the ticket prices last week but can't remember seeing anything after.

http://www.newstalk.com/UFC:-Dublin-stadium-show-without-McGregor-not-a-bad-idea
    UFC top brass in Las Vegas are paying attention to the high level of demand for its events in Ireland - and still considering bringing a show to a stadium in Dublin.
    When asked if demand is strong enough in Ireland for the UFC to stage a stadium show without Conor McGregor, James Elliott, the UFC's Vice-President and General Manager for Europe, the Middle East, and Africa conceded that a stadium could be possible without the 'Notorious' one:
    "That’s not something which I considered until this point - it’s not a bad idea," he told Newstalk.com.
    "We’ve sold out the two shows in Dublin in record time, even when the card was decimated through injuries in October - the fans still turned out and supported us really well. That did not go unnoticed by everybody in Vegas. We certainly understand how big the fanbase is in Ireland, and how big it could be," he added.
    Staging a major event in Europe is complicated by the time difference between the region and the UFC's core market in the US where pay-per-view TV is the company's main source of income. Staging an event without McGregor could be one way around this problem.
    Having an event at on off-peak time would be costly but Mr Elliott says that the company is working on bringing a 'numbered' premium UFC event to Europe:
    "It would be a fantastic brand play for us to have a big numbered event in Europe. It’s something that we’re definitely focused on. It’s very easy for us to see what it could do for our business - we just need to convince the right people that it’s the right thing to do at the right time."

He added that a fight card featuring a fighter like Conor McGregor or Ronda Rousey could "kick-start" further growth for the UFC in Europe.
    "The numbers are getting closer in terms of how we could make it work, there’s still a lot of moving parts … I feel we’re not that far away, certainly within the 18-month time frame, that’s something that we’re focused on," he told Newstalk.
    If a big show does come, the organisation is "doing its homework" and has actively engaged with both Croke Park and the Aviva Stadium.
    "Croke Park and the Aviva Stadium are two places that we’ve looked at, we’ve made no secret about that. Conor (McGregor) has certainly made no secret about the fact that he wants to fight in Dublin. It’s something that’s on the agenda" the UFC executive said.
    Although he did add that some "structural" issues would need to be addressed before an outdoor Dublin show could happen - curfews and noise restrictions are major concerns.
    The UFC will stage one show in the UK or Ireland during the winter of 2016 - an announcement is due around, "September or October time."

lol some hope of selling out Croke or Aviva without McGregor on the card! Wow they sold out last October's card....but then when it fell apart through injuries(from what I remember reading on here) lots of people got refunds and it seems anyone who went got free upgraded seats meaning lots of free seats up the back?

They would need to make a supercard if they tried to put on a stadium without McGregor....and even then I'm not sure the more casual fans would go.

Hopefully the last line in the quote is re: a Belfast card in December :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,389 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He was asked directly about an event without Conor. And gave a typical non-committal "sure, why not". Absolutely no story there. Can't believe somebody got paid for that nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement