Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Devastator wrote: »
    :eek: I hope thats a joke, would make about as much sense on the mic as the tazmanian devil!!

:) Would be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

wow Hollys next opponent Valentina was at a restaurant when the restaurant was getting robbed and her crew got involved in a shootout with the robbers trying to stop the robbers.

http://www.craziestsportsfights.com/ufc-fighter-valentina-shevchenko-involved-armed-robbery-shootout/

Don't fuck with Russians! scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Underwhelming main event IMO. Both coming off defeats, both I don't really think are overly relevant in the division anymore. This is the 3rd European country UFC has held a 1st event in this year and I don't think this main stands up to the last 2(Croatia JDS/Rothwell & Holland Overeem/Arlovski).

Apparently Bader/Latifi is on the card aswell.

Are you going Paully? You posted about the ticket prices last week but can't remember seeing anything after.

Yeah, I'm going mate. Picked up floor seats a few rows from the front and dead center for €150 (well, plus €35 "delivery" fee so €185 all in, but the tickets did arrive via priority courier 2 days later) so I was delighted with that considering I paid €250 for seats further back and to the side in London a few months ago. The site had an interactive map to select seats which ran like a dream during the presale, such a good experience compared to Ticketmaster and the like.

I agree with you completely on the main event. It'll be cool to see two legends live in what may well be their last ever fight for the loser, but as a main event it's a bit meh especially compared to what was served up in London, Croatia and Holland of late. Arlovski is the arguably the worst man to build a fight on the entire roster and Barnett wouldn't be too far behind.

3 fights announced now (Arlovski v Barnett, Latifi v Bader and Askham v Hermansson) with the 3 German's nailed on to be on the card too (Hein, Danho and Ayari). That's 6 fights, probably over 50% of the card, with nothing that would blow me away. Hopefully they'll start pulling the likes of Gustafsson out of the bag soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Mellor wrote: »
    He was asked directly about an event without Conor. And gave a typical non-committal "sure, why not". Absolutely no story there. Can't believe somebody got paid for that nonsense.

Is it your time of the month or something? He said a lot more than "sure, why not", did you even read it? Of course he's being non committal, like everone ever in the UFC they'll say nothing until its set in stone. When has anyone ever put a timescale on a stadium event in Dublin? This guy just did.....but of course you just think its nonsense :rolleyes:
    Paully D wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm going mate. Picked up floor seats a few rows from the front and dead center for €150 (well, plus €35 "delivery" fee so €185 all in, but the tickets did arrive via priority courier 2 days later) so I was delighted with that considering I paid €250 for seats further back and to the side in London a few months ago. The site had an interactive map to select seats which ran like a dream during the presale, such a good experience compared to Ticketmaster and the like.

I agree with you completely on the main event. It'll be cool to see two legends live in what may well be their last ever fight for the loser, but as a main event it's a bit meh especially compared to what was served up in London, Croatia and Holland of late. Arlovski is the arguably the worst man to build a fight on the entire roster and Barnett wouldn't be too far behind.

3 fights announced now (Arlovski v Barnett, Latifi v Bader and Askham v Hermansson) with the 3 German's nailed on to be on the card too (Hein, Danho and Ayari). That's 6 fights, probably over 50% of the card, with nothing that would blow me away. Hopefully they'll start pulling the likes of Gustafsson out of the bag soon.

Nice one! That delivery is ripping the hole out of it though! Yeah I seen the map on presale(I was just having a nosey really lol theres no direct flights from Belfast either), some good seats for decent prices. Nick Hein is a guarantee to be on it(if fit), he was in Rotterdam and they brought him on stage between Q&A and weigh ins to make the special announcement about the event....even though it was gave out on twitter a couple of days before :D I think he pretty much said he would be there. Yeah hopefully they get a few other good fights on there, maybe even a couple of the Dutch fighters as it may not be too far for them to travel. How about de Randamie Vs Cyborg? lol wishful thinking but I reckon it would be an awesome scrap. You might get Gunni, Seery or Ais on there which would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 39,389 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it your time of the month or something? He said a lot more than "sure, why not", did you even read it? Of course he's being non committal, like everone ever in the UFC they'll say nothing until its set in stone. When has anyone ever put a timescale on a stadium event in Dublin? This guy just did.....but of course you just think its nonsense :rolleyes:
    Yeah I read it. Assuming your quote was the full text, I didn't open the link.

His response was "That’s not something which I considered until this point - it’s not a bad idea". Openly stating they haven't even considered it. He was just pandering to the question, which was my point.

Where did he give a timescale on a stadium event in Dublin?? He said an event in late 2016, didn't say it would be in a stadium. He didn't even say it would be in Ireland tbh.
    The fact he said vent planned in UK or Ireland would suggest it's actually in the UK. Unless the venue isn't booked yet.

...or it maybe it'll be in the UK AND Ireland. That's it confirmed, the UFC is returning to Belfast in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

"The numbers are getting closer in terms of how we could make it work, there’s still a lot of moving parts … I feel we’re not that far away, certainly within the 18-month time frame, that’s something that we’re focused on," he told Newstalk.

You must have missed that sentence eh?
    Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah I read it. Assuming your quote was the full text, I didn't open the link.

His response was "That’s not something which I considered until this point - it’s not a bad idea". Openly stating they haven't even considered it. He was just pandering to the question, which was my point.

Where did he give a timescale on a stadium event in Dublin?? He said an event in late 2016, didn't say it would be in a stadium. He didn't even say it would be in Ireland tbh.
    The fact he said vent planned in UK or Ireland would suggest it's actually in the UK. Unless the venue isn't booked yet.

...or it maybe it'll be in the UK AND Ireland. That's it confirmed, the UFC is returning to Belfast in the winter.

You must have missed that sentence eh?

Getting close to something that "could work" means that current options don't actually work. As we've all said until the council is sorted. At least they are aware of the issues.

I'll get excited when I see a planning application going in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

New season of Kingdom started last night (MMA tv show for anyone who hasn't seen it yet). UFC have mentioned it a few times on twitter and Dana saying how he just watched all the epsiodes and how awesome it is. Wonder if he makes an appearance this season.

UFC ‏@ufc 7h7 hours ago WEST COAST: All new season of @KingdomAudience premieres NOW on @DirecTV!! Tune in 1f44a.png1f4a5.png

Cj6t6CNWgAEMdb7.jpg

256 retweets 747 likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just for anyone trying to find this, its season 2 episode 11, not season 3 episode 1. It's the second half of the second season, not a new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Is it any good? Never heard of it before, but I like Frank Grillo - may give it a watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

On Monday's episode of The MMA Hour, Weidman told Ariel Helwani that he gave Rockhold two gifts when he pulled out of UFC 199: Bisping on "a silver platter" and the "easiest title fight in the history of title fights."

Bisping, as one might imagine, didn't take too kindly to those words.

"Chris Weidman is a very, very bitter individual for somebody that spouts on about Jesus," Bisping said Wednesday at UFC 199 open workouts at UFC Gym. "He just needs to take a step back and go read the Bible some more. Take heed to his own words. Don't be bitter. He hurt himself, simple as that. It had nothing to do with me. I didn't hurt his neck. Did I hurt his neck? What the f*ck has that got to do with me, pal?"

Good man bisbing, love the jesus rub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That's very weird, should have just had it as season 3 but sound man, I would have been looking for s03e01 alright :)

Yeah def worth a watch. Nice amount of grappling and subs in it, not just spinning ****. Bryan Callen organises some of the fights and Joe Daddy Stevenson is a regular in the gym as he also helps co-ordinate the fights. Some good usual faces pop up as well between refs, famous gyms, etc. Drugs, drinking, roids, riding, spinning ****, what's not to like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Makwan Amirkhani is in our offices today :)

Makwan Amirkhani is in our offices today :)

Give him a cool-pop.
    Amirkhani's love cool-pops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Bryan Callen organises some of the fights
    Am I the only one that ducking hates this little shut stain dweeb Bryan Callen. He's not even a good actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

anyone watching the 199 presser? bisping is quare getting in rockholds head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4W-TTZ7bHc

presser here, am half an hour in and its a good laugh

edit, might be the most entertaining pre fight presser ive even watched

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Haha, awh Bisping absolutely roasted him with the self help book jibe. He's so much more likeable than Rockhold. Rockhold is one of my favorite guys to watch but his thrash talk is unbearable, I find his champ persona to be incredibly dull.

cruz so smart and articulate, must have been frustrating for faber :D

mailburner wrote: »
    On Monday's episode of The MMA Hour, Weidman told Ariel Helwani that he gave Rockhold two gifts when he pulled out of UFC 199: Bisping on "a silver platter" and the "easiest title fight in the history of title fights."

Bisping, as one might imagine, didn't take too kindly to those words.

"Chris Weidman is a very, very bitter individual for somebody that spouts on about Jesus," Bisping said Wednesday at UFC 199 open workouts at UFC Gym. "He just needs to take a step back and go read the Bible some more. Take heed to his own words. Don't be bitter. He hurt himself, simple as that. It had nothing to do with me. I didn't hurt his neck. Did I hurt his neck? What the f*ck has that got to do with me, pal?"

Good man bisbing, love the jesus rub :D

Aside from Conor, Bisping is the best trash talker in the sport IMO. A very intelligent and articulate man.

• Advertisement

Aside from Conor, Bisping is the best trash talker in the sport IMO. A very intelligent and articulate man.

Bisbing for me is the best trash talker in the sport, could listen to him all day
    the roy keane of mma, says it like it is :D

UFC have put up Bisping v Silva as a free fight. One of the fights of the year:

Ariel reporting that the UFC are close to agreeing a deal with Lesner to fight at UFC 200. :eek:

Paully D wrote:
    Ariel reporting that the UFC are close to agreeing a deal with Lesner to fight at UFC 200.

Fuuuck that would shut up conor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ariel reporting that the UFC are close to agreeing a deal with Lesner to fight at UFC 200. :eek:

Lesnar v Hunt, heard it here first..... Goodnight Brock.

ASOT wrote:
    Lesnar v Hunt, heard it here first..... Goodnight Brock.

I thought brocks stomach was done for UFC due to trauma

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I thought brocks stomach was done for UFC due to trauma

Apparently he's a lot better than when he was in the ufc originally health wise.

ASOT wrote:
    Apparently he's a lot better than when he was in the ufc originally health wise.

If so he could be beast mode, wonder has he been training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement