Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Its his job to report news, he doesn't work for Zuffa. They are gangsters and a serious debate needs to be had regarding journalism in the sport, its not just Ariel its all of MMAFighting. This issue needs it own thread
    lertsnim wrote: »
    So journalists should say nothing until Dana gives the the OK. Is it only for the UFC that this should happen or would you support censorship for all journalists?

ah lads stop over reacting, hes only a journo at the end of the day. In any (and probably every) job there are times when you know when to keep your mouth shut. Helwani's used to toe the line for the last while he's blatently stepped all over it. As I said he shouldn't have kept biting at the hand that was feeding him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's not as if he was some muscle head that came in and whooped ass.
    He was a fairly high level (real) wrestler before the UFC, that along with his extreme athleticism and freakish power is why he rose to the top.
    It s not as if every juiced up freak in wwe coujd do what he did.
    And to be fair, the only elite guy he beat was carwin, who nearly had him beat anyway. Mir is hit and miss, randy was old.

I'm not saying anyone could do that, in fact I am saying the exact opposite.

He had such freakish power and athleticism that he was able to win the belt despite having no experience in jiu jitsu, muay thai, boxing etc. within a year.

Also you're referring to elite fighters within an elite organization. Mir was at the time a top 5, Carwin was top 3, Randy Couture was the champion. For a guy to come in to the UFC having never trained in MMA before (only wrestling) and beat those sort of fighters in his first few fights was an incredible accomplishment. Undoubtedly his freakish power and athleticism helped him to overcome his novice experience in most aspects of MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm probably way off, but Fedor is booked to fight June 17th, wonder if they'll get him pulled off that and have him against Brock at 200? Would make sense as a once off special attraction

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm probably way off, but Fedor is booked to fight June 17th, wonder if they'll get him pulled off that and have him against Brock at 200? Would make sense as a once off special attraction

Dave Meltzer saying that's not happening anyway, and he has good Lesnar connections. The Fedor fight is still going ahead on the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

callaway92 wrote: »
    Dave Meltzer saying that's not happening anyway, and he has good Lesnar connections. The Fedor fight is still going ahead on the 17th.

there goes my theory

if he sparks Mark Hunt or whoever he ends up fighting, with WWE saying he's at Summerslam in August, I wonder what will happen down the line

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Hunto will wreck him bad bad fight for him to take,for someone who doesnt like being punches in the fix Hunt is the wrong man to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

there goes my theory

if he sparks Mark Hunt or whoever he ends up fighting, with WWE saying he's at Summerslam in August, I wonder what will happen down the line

I would've thought it's a one-and-done but you'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's a one-and-done unless Lorenzo wants to pay WWE an obscene amount of money, I'm talking multi, multi millions. Brock is the last big attraction left at this stage, no way Vince gives him up without a huge payoff.

By the way, there's a thread for the Brock story here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057605860 it's in the PW forum so it would be missed by many if someone didn't point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,391 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

WarZ wrote: »
    He had such freakish power and athleticism that he was able to win the belt despite having no experience in jiu jitsu, muay thai, boxing etc. within a year.
    Jiu Jitsu, boxing, muay thai, training he had none, obviously. But he was an NCAA champion and all-american. He was an elite wrestler, which is the backbone of a lot of MMA fighters style.

You post made it sound like he was just a freaky big dude from the WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Devastator wrote: »
    ah lads stop over reacting, hes only a journo at the end of the day. In any (and probably every) job there are times when you know when to keep your mouth shut. Helwani's used to toe the line for the last while he's blatently stepped all over it. As I said he shouldn't have kept biting at the hand that was feeding him

its not an overreaction to me, its a scumbag move as i said he doesn't work for Zuffa its his job to report and he has a great relationship with the fighters. Without reporting how we gonna get the truth ? cause i aint believing Dana or his shills in this. If your a fan of the fighters and a way for them to get more money, have sponsors or a union one day you need to rally around him as he gives them an outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Devastator wrote: »
    Don't bite the hands that feeds you...or the hand that used to feed you until you pissed it off but it still gives you access to the kitchen.

I said on here a few months ago I thought he seemed to be getting to big for his boots. The UFC have gave him access(I presume media get in free?) to events for years, he keeps ruining their announcements so its pretty certain to piss them off.

Hes the most widely recognised mma journalist/reporter. He has a four hour show every week where he can literally get anyone on his show.

They got him fired from fox for doing his job, they banned him from event for same.

In all cases he was doing his job. Maybe they should find the leaker of news instead of shooting the messenger.

Mellor wrote: »
    Jiu Jitsu, boxing, muay thai, training he had none, obviously. But he was an NCAA champion and all-american. He was an elite wrestler, which is the backbone of a lot of MMA fighters style.

You post made it sound like he was just a freaky big dude from the WWE

My post made out exactly what I said, that for him to come into MMA with only experience in wrestling (no matter how elite) and with zero experience in jiu jitsu, boxing and muay thai and within one year win the belt in the most elite organization in MMA is an astonishing accomplishment. Undoubtedly his freakish power and athleticism helped him to achieve this goal. It's not a given that a NCAA champion can come into the UFC with no experience in any other fighting style and become champion within a year.

You should give him credit where its due. This thread is a great example of the type of people I am referring to; those that just cannot bring themselves to admit that what Lesnar achieved was an incredible feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,391 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My post made out exactly what I said, that for him to come into MMA with only experience in wrestling
    You made no mention of his wrestling. You implied he won by freak power alone, trumping skill. It's completely dismissive of his wrestling base, that's all I'm pointing out
    I think some fans were annoyed because Lesnar's rise showed that freakish power can trump skill.

It's not a given that a NCAA champion can come into the UFC with no experience in any other fighting style and become champion within a year.
    Nobody said it was. :confused:
    I wouldn't expect any single style champ to become an MMA champ in that timeframe. Not impossible obviously, Lesnar is proof. But not a given.

You should give him credit where its due. This thread is a great example of the type of people I am referring to; those that just cannot bring themselves to admit that what Lesnar achieved was an incredible feat.
    Lol what are you talking about?

I wasn't someone who was annoyed he "trumped skill". And how am I not giving credit? :confused:
    If anything you're not giving his abilities credit by suggesting he won without any skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

He's still not signed to the ufc and is fighting on efn not a chance of it happening IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

My post made out exactly what I said, that for him to come into MMA with only experience in wrestling (no matter how elite) and with zero experience in jiu jitsu, boxing and muay thai and within one year win the belt in the most elite organization in MMA is an astonishing accomplishment. Undoubtedly his freakish power and athleticism helped him to achieve this goal. It's not a given that a NCAA champion can come into the UFC with no experience in any other fighting style and become champion within a year.

He beat guys that weren't great to be fair, irreguardless of their ranking. He bulldozed threw them. His natural athleticism and wrestling ability made it easy for him. He didn't need to learn bjj or Muay Thai, except for the choke on carwin. He was a sloppy boxer. As soon as elite strikers faced him he wasn't soon finishing up.
    What he did was good, not incredible

He's fighting Ido Portal apparently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ASOT wrote: »
    He's fighting Ido Portal apparently.

Conor McGregor's movement coach?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    He beat guys that weren't great to be fair, irreguardless of their ranking. He bulldozed threw them. His natural athleticism and wrestling ability made it easy for him. He didn't need to learn bjj or Muay Thai, except for the choke on carwin. He was a sloppy boxer. As soon as elite strikers faced him he wasn't soon finishing up.
    What he did was good, not incredible

Once again, it pains you to give him credit where its due. Mir, Carwin and Couture were all elite.

After his debut he lost 2 fights, one to a juiced up Overeem and another to Cain Velasquez who was in freakish form at the time and was looking like being one of the greatest heavyweights ever.

Former coach

Fiarly sure he was more than just a movement coach, had a big part to play in his striking and strength & conditioning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I wonder who Brock is training with, the fight is only a month away. Deathclutch back again?

Fiarly sure he was more than just a movement coach, had a big part to play in his striking and strength & conditioning.

O i don't doubt that I guess just if I am 100% honest I don't know a lot about him as a fighter in comparison to Brock. Where did you see him as the proposed opponent anyway?

To quote from Ido Portal himself

"The movement game takes the technical side, and takes the strength and conditioning side, and takes the mobility, and takes the pattern and the re-patterning work, and it blends everything together. So at times, I was taking some technical aspects of the game and tuning them up, working and refining that, and other times I was more of the strength and conditioning guy, and at other times I was the therapist, and at other times I was the nutritionist.”

"They are a chain of decisions, decisions that must be made right. And I was a part of those decisions. What to take, when to do, what to do, what to not do. It’s a huge part, what to not do in training, in a session. Keeping them fresh, keeping them in tune, keeping the body very soft, which is very misunderstood.”

Sounds very much like he played a role in McGregor's strength and conditioning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Are you both really going to do the Ido Porta thing again and derail another thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Ok i took it as the munner taking the piss for the craic

Axwell wrote: »
    Are you both really going to do the Ido Porta thing again and derail another thread?

I think you should probably be addressing ASOT not me considering he was the one who brought it up in an attempt to goad me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I think you should probably be addressing ASOT not me considering he was the one who brought it up in an attempt to goad me.

I am addressing both of you...now take the hint and drop it.

I see, thought that sounded really weird and you actually just had me very confused and rechecking my info on who exactly he was

so still seems hunt is the likely opponent then

Axwell wrote: »
    I am addressing both of you...now take the hint and drop it.

Agreed, I've dropped the subject after McGregor came out and affirmed exactly what I had been saying. For me the subject is finished and I have no idea why certain posters continue to try bully me about something I was ultimately proven right on.

Apologies for defending myself from a bully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RE: Ariel and the UFC.

The UFC have a history of banning journalists that don't tow the party line. There was a cracking piece a few years ago that detailed a lengthy battle a journalist/media was having with the UFC. It was broken up into 4 or 5 parts if I remember correctly. I'll try to find it and dig it out, but can anyone remember what I'm talking about?

In fairness I can see both sides of the coin. They had a cool little promo ready to run during the PPV that would have built a huge amount of hype, but it was known 3 hours beforehand that Lesnar was coming back due to the story being broken. However, someone close to the UFC is obviously feeding Helwani information. If I were Dana and co, I'd be looking a bit closer to home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement