Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ok i took it as the munner taking the piss for the craic

Basically this, but at this rate we may aswell add Portal to the swear filter if you cant mention him anymore in a light hearted way.

Back on topic anyway Mondays MMA hour should be fairly interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

ASOT wrote: »
    Basically this, but at this rate we may aswell add Portal to the swear filter if you cant mention him anymore in a light hearted way.

Back on topic anyway Mondays MMA hour should be fairly interesting.

Not when you are doing it to goad others and across multiple threads. You were already told to drop it, do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I think the announcement was still ab ig shock, was expecting him to pop up in the ufc 200 promo after the tweets but then the whole thing went by and i started thinking ariel must be after getting this one wrong, then the fight card came up and bam, 'can you see me now?' whole thing was very well done and ariels tweets took none of the surprise out of it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Depp wrote: »
    I think the announcement was still ab ig shock, was expecting him to pop up in the ufc 200 promo after the tweets but then the whole thing went by and i started thinking ariel must be after getting this one wrong, then the fight card came up and bam, 'can you see me now?' whole thing was very well done and ariels tweets took none of the surprise out of it for me!

I hated how BT went to an ad break before the promo, I found out about it on the event thread and Twitter. Ruined it for a lot of people I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

martyos121 wrote:
    I hated how BT went to an ad break before the promo, I found out about it on the event thread and Twitter. Ruined it for a lot of people I'd say.

Yeah they went to an add break in a middle of a fight, a while back.

I just get them on fightpass now safer and can watch it again in peace if ya do miss anything.

• Advertisement

Yeah he was called a scumbag by Dana recently, its all a dictatorship lets call a spade a spade, they will continue to do it aswell, pretty sure this will blow up in there face though id imagine there will be a bit of backlash over Helwani because of his fanbase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Paully D wrote: »
    RE: Ariel and the UFC.

The UFC have a history of banning journalists that don't tow the party line. There was a cracking piece a few years ago that detailed a lengthy battle a journalist/media was having with the UFC. It was broken up into 4 or 5 parts if I remember correctly. I'll try to find it and dig it out, but can anyone remember what I'm talking about?

In fairness I can see both sides of the coin. They had a cool little promo ready to run during the PPV that would have built a huge amount of hype, but it was known 3 hours beforehand that Lesnar was coming back due to the story being broken. However, someone close to the UFC is obviously feeding Helwani information. If I were Dana and co, I'd be looking a bit closer to home.

As much as I like Helwani I can completely understand why the UFC top brass are furious with him. The UFC have played a large role into making him the household name he is today and had probably worked tirelessly to close the deal with Brock. It's understandable that they felt completely screwed over when Helwani announced the Brock deal three hours before they were due to announce it.

It strikes me as attention seeking from Helwani. I would understand if it was information that wasn't going to be announced for weeks but he really decided to steal Dana and Lorenzo's thunder by announcing it hours before its official announcement. The promo was meant to be a 'WTF' moment and the speculation and hype it would have generated if the Lesnar news was a complete surprise would have been invaluable for marketing UFC 200.

It's not like it is the first time Helwani has done this either. I feel bad for the guy as it seriously affects his career but announcing the Lesnar return when he probably knew that it was due to be announced in a few hours as part of an expensive promo was a big 'F U' to the Dana and the UFC. Or at least I can see why they perceived it as such.

Mod:Lads would ye have some sense and not be posting videos and comments containing spoilers to the results of 199 in anothe thread so short after the event is over. I have edited and removed a number of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Axwell wrote: »
    Mod:Lads would ye have some sense and not be posting videos and comments containing spoilers to the results of 199 in anothe thread so short after the event is over. I have edited and removed a number of posts.

Genuine question - how long do we have to wait after an event before discussing the results of same in the general landscape?

Genuine question - how long do we have to wait after an event before discussing the results of same in the general landscape?

Its in the sticky for the charter.

• Advertisement

I would think if people haven't seen an event yet they and don't want spoiler they would probably be better off not coming into a forum dedicated to MMA until they see the event. :P

If I plan on watching an event the next day to avoid spoilers I would avoid all forums/social networks until I see the event. Someone would have to be a bit daft to not know the results and to be browsing this forum :pac:

If I plan on watching an event the next day to avoid spoilers I would avoid all forums/social networks until I see the event. Someone would have to be a bit daft to not know the results and to be browsing this forum :pac:

One could equally say someone would be daft to go posting results of last nights fight in other threads when there is a thread actually dedicated to the event and all discussion around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

If I plan on watching an event the next day to avoid spoilers I would avoid all forums/social networks until I see the event. Someone would have to be a bit daft to not know the results and to be browsing this forum

Or even use spoiler tags. Or ya know stick to the actual event thread and leave general alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

RE: Ariel and the UFC.

The UFC have a history of banning journalists that don't tow the party line. There was a cracking piece a few years ago that detailed a lengthy battle a journalist/media was having with the UFC. It was broken up into 4 or 5 parts if I remember correctly. I'll try to find it and dig it out, but can anyone remember what I'm talking about?
    Shill em all on Cagepotato? It's a great series of articles alright

One could equally say someone would be daft to go posting results of last nights fight in other threads when there is a thread actually dedicated to the event and all discussion around it.

Oh you are right but this is the internet after all and just for safety if people dont want to get spoilers they would be better off avoiding this forum until they watch the event.

I know the rule is to not post spoilers but someone might do it and the event could be ruined for someone before a mod removes it is all I was saying.

Well unfortunately it was for the person who reported the posts and now knew the result of two fights.

Well unfortunately it was for the person who reported the posts and now knew the result of two fights.

That was my point, everyone should follow the rules but people being people just wont read the charter. I was just giving people helpful advice that if they want to 100% not get anything ruined then just avoid boards till you watch the event. I got a main UFC event before ruined for me the next morning when I was browsing the pro wrestling forum :mad: Now I just avoid boards till I watch the event so nothing gets ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

its not an overreaction to me, its a scumbag move as i said he doesn't work for Zuffa its his job to report and he has a great relationship with the fighters. Without reporting how we gonna get the truth ? cause i aint believing Dana or his shills in this. If your a fan of the fighters and a way for them to get more money, have sponsors or a union one day you need to rally around him as he gives them an outlet.

So If Helwani hadn't have ruined the UFC's big surprise and DW announced it during 199 or you only seen the promo video you wouldn't have believed it? :pac: If he was such a fan of fighters and getting them more money then he wouldn't be so worried about leaking big news just before the UFC get to do it. He's leaking news to for his benefit, that doesn't help fighters.
    Hes the most widely recognised mma journalist/reporter. He has a four hour show every week where he can literally get anyone on his show.

They got him fired from fox for doing his job, they banned him from event for same.

In all cases he was doing his job. Maybe they should find the leaker of news instead of shooting the messenger.

Granted finding out the mole would make sense also but do you think all journalists report everything they hear/know? Far from it. Journalists need to play the game, they get well looked after so for that there are times when they need to just keep quiet on some news and let the UFC have their moment. Its not like he's the 1st journalist to be banned, happens in a lot of sports

I just don't get why everyone is getting so upset over a journalist or talking about some sort of fighter uprising. Do you really think the fighters can/will do anything? Couldn't do anything when Reebok took over their sponsors. Didn't do anything when Watson,Stitch were removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Devastator wrote: »
    So If Helwani hadn't have ruined the UFC's big surprise and DW announced it during 199 or you only seen the promo video you wouldn't have believed it? :pac: If he was such a fan of fighters and getting them more money then he wouldn't be so worried about leaking big news just before the UFC get to do it. He's leaking news to for his benefit, that doesn't help fighters.

Granted finding out the mole would make sense also but do you think all journalists report everything they hear/know? Far from it. Journalists need to play the game, they get well looked after so for that there are times when they need to just keep quiet on some news and let the UFC have their moment. Its not like he's the 1st journalist to be banned, happens in a lot of sports

In fairness to helwani he seems to only report stories rather than speculate. He seems to verify his information first.

He also lost a job due to the ufc so I doubt he needs to play any game. He kept fairly quiet after being let go by fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Polycom

Would think lesnar v Mir would be set up. Very easy sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Polycom wrote: »
    Would think lesnar v Mir would be set up. Very easy sell

yeah seems like the fight to make but by the look of things mir has come a cropper of USADA and wont be available, gunna be barnett or carwin id imagine

In fairness to helwani he seems to only report stories rather than speculate. He seems to verify his information first.

He also lost a job due to the ufc so I doubt he needs to play any game. He kept fairly quiet after being let go by fox.

Its probably a job he only had because of the UFC aswell though. Yeah his info is usually good but he knows a lot of the things he has reported will piss the UFC off....and what would he loose out if he didn't report them? A few RTs, extra followers on twitter. I just think he's pushed it too far, especially after fox, that should have been enough of a warning to just keep in their good books(or at least avoid their bad books) for a while

Its probably a job he only had because of the UFC aswell though. Yeah his info is usually good but he knows a lot of the things he has reported will piss the UFC off....and what would he loose out if he didn't report them? A few RTs, extra followers on twitter. I just think he's pushed it too far, especially after fox, that should have been enough of a warning to just keep in their good books(or at least avoid their bad books) for a while

I understand what your saying but I think hes right. He should stick it to the ufc every chance he gets.

Hes a reporter on mma and while the ufc is a huge part of that he should be able to do his job. His job is finding and reporting stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Depp wrote: »
    yeah seems like the fight to make but by the look of things mir has come a cropper of USADA and wont be available, gunna be barnett or carwin id imagine

Barnett is matched up with Arlovski in September.

I understand what your saying but I think hes right. He should stick it to the ufc every chance he gets.

Hes a reporter on mma and while the ufc is a huge part of that he should be able to do his job. His job is finding and reporting stories.

Fair enough if you think he's right. I think he has been sticking it to them which is/was my point. Why should the UFC continue to allow him free access to their events when he continuously seems to be giving them the fingers. As I said I just think he needed to play the game a bit more.

I know if I ran any sort of business and I was giving out free samples to somebody that continued to put the boot in then I'd stop giving them any more free stuff pretty quick.

Fair enough if you think he's right. I think he has been sticking it to them which is/was my point. Why should the UFC continue to allow him free access to their events when he continuously seems to be giving them the fingers. As I said I just think he needed to play the game a bit more.

I know if I ran any sort of business and I was giving out free samples to somebody that continued to put the boot in then I'd stop giving them any more free stuff pretty quick.

Its a two way street. He is an outlet for free promotion. He promotes fighters better thsn the ufc by getting lesser known people on there. How many people listen to his show?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Only top 10 heavyweights not matched up are JDS and Hunt I think.

Struve could be a possible matchup?

Whoever it is with five years off it won't be a gimme.

Adam Milstead should campaign for it, Would be a very achievable win early on in his career!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Some people don't seem to understand what journalist's do.

It's the same in any other sport, who breaks news of transfers, trades in soccer/NFL/NBA etc. Journalist's do when they get the info. Those organisations don't go banning the journalist's and stripping credentials for reporting that info. Big fight announcements are the transfers/trades in MMA.

But the UFC don't want journalist's to be journalist's, they just want them to be an extra promotional arm for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Fromvert wrote: »
    Some people don't seem to understand what journalist's do.

It's the same in any other sport, who breaks news of transfers, trades in soccer/NFL/NBA etc. Journalist's do when they get the info. Those organisations don't go banning the journalist's and stripping credentials for reporting that info. Big fight announcements are the transfers/trades in MMA.

But the UFC don't want journalist's to be journalist's, they just want them to be an extra promotional arm for them.

It's very different though.

The UFC marketing strategy means that fight announcements, especially big ones, are carefully planned in order to maximize revenue from PPV's. Football/NFL/NBA clubs don't have this dilemma when transfer announcements are leaked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement