Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Gamebred wrote: »
    His media day interviews ect walks with helwani will go out the window though,ufc will put pressure on the fighters not to speak to him,the fighters wont back him up when the ufc puts the boot down they need to eat,this will get messy imo hope im wrong.

Not sure. I think he does right by fighters (has to or they'll all avoid him)

Seems to have a good relationship with kavanagh/mcgregor. So be interesting to see.

He may not get credentialed but he'll still get info first like he has been

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

People are missing the point here I think. UFC shouldnt be annoyed with Helwani, they should be annoyed with themselves - they ****ed up. Its a journalists job to break news. Also, getting press access is hardly unique to UFC or some special kindness - 99% of the time these guys keep UFC in the news and drum up enthusiasm for it. Dana missed a trick here, is being short sighted and has let himself down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Should be a interesting show tomorrow night anyway.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/739600054063890434

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

UFC have removed all mention of Brock from all their media outlets. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Did that woman Dana fell out with year's ago ever get her credential back, she was with sherdog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Shill em all on Cagepotato? It's a great series of articles alright

Thanks, that's the one. I couldn't for the life of me think of the name or find it. Anyone interested in the Helwani situation or the UFC/media should read it. It's an eye-opener for sure.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

What Really Happened At The UFC 189 Toronto Press Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Paully D wrote:
    Thanks, that's the one. I couldn't for the life of me think of the name or find it. Anyone interested in the Helwani situation or the UFC/media should read it. It's an eye-opener for sure.

Nice post paully, quite a read.

Although I still think aerial leaking the scoop 3 hours early was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nice piece from Kevin Iole

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-s-sad--short-sighted-banning-of-journalists-needs-to-be-fixed-immediately-001337459-mma.html

I never realised that media couldn't approach or contact people like Joe silva or sean shelby. I just always figured they didn't like being in the lime light but now it seems it's because Dana wants ALL the attention.

Mma hour will be very interesting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Nice piece from Kevin Iole

Interesting that lesnar got pissed at dana for the leak, and dana saying it threatened the deal.

And all mention of lesnar is gone from ufc today

I mean Brock is prickly as ****, and if it's only a 1 fight deal anyway, and helwani blew it dana will roast him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Interesting that lesnar got pissed at dana for the leak, and dana saying it threatened the deal.

I mean Brock is prickly as ****, and if it's only a 1 fight deal anyway, and helwani blew it dana will roast him.

How could the deal be threatened he had done the f'in promo absolute joke the whole situation is people crying like helwani ruined christmas or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Brock isn't off 200. Most likely just posturing by Dana to justify banning Ariel. He was probably surprised by the fan and media reaction and needs to present it in a way that showed he had no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

jcd5971 wrote: »

If Dana said it then it must be true. :pac: Because Ariel broke the story a few hours before the promo aired I can really imagine Lesnar thinking "stuff your couple of million quid, cancel the sportscenter interview, Helwani has ruined everything!" ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

one thing i noticed with all this talk of 200 and 202, 201 slipping completely under the radar, gotta feel for robbie could have easily gone on 200 would have been a nice little payday, now hes main eventing against woodley on a card thatll be doing well to reach double figures on ppv buys! its a shame really going on his last few, probably going to be a cracker of a fight!

Davei141 wrote: »
    If Dana said it then it must be true. :pac: Because Ariel broke the story a few hours before the promo aired I can really imagine Lesnar thinking "stuff your couple of million quid, cancel the sportscenter interview, Helwani has ruined everything!" ..

He's prob on $10m+, he'll most likely be willing to do Dana a favor and say it made him think about pulling out though considering Dana released him from his contract so he could go back to the WWE.

Dana or Lorenzo didn't anticipate the Ariel story making Forbes, Washington Post, NBC, Bleacher Report, USA Today etc and now they have to spin it like it was justified. All these reports which portray the UFC as petty, infantile and unprofessional will affect and potential valuation of the company as the gear up to sell.

It's not like Stitch or previous reporters being banned/fired, this time it has penetrated the main stream and could do serious damage to the brand.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's prob on $10m+, he'll most likely be willing to do Dana a favor and say it made him think about pulling out though considering Dana released him from his contract so he could go back to the WWE.

Dana or Lorenzo didn't anticipate the Ariel story making Forbes, Washington Post, NBC, Bleacher Report, USA Today etc and now they have to spin it like it was justified. All these reports which portray the UFC as petty, infantile and unprofessional will affect and potential valuation of the company as the gear up to sell.

It's not like Stitch or previous reporters being banned/fired, this time it has penetrated the main stream and could do serious damage to the brand.

I would imagine Lesnar would prefer to stay away from commenting on that whole thing rather than lie. Better off leaving that stuff to Dana. They have royally messed up what should have been an insanely positive week of MMA news with one of the best events ever aired, Lesnar returning to 200 and Diaz/McG official.

I would imagine Lesnar would prefer to stay away from commenting on that whole thing rather than lie. Better off leaving that stuff to Dana. They have royally messed up what should have been an insanely positive week of MMA news with one of the best events ever aired, Lesnar returning to 200 and Diaz/McG official.

Yeah it's a shame. The sad thing is Dana and Lorenzo (and the rest of Zuffa) do an excellent job at building the cards, promoting them and putting on good shows. They are excellent at their jobs, but they have gotten used to a culture of total control and the UFC is under the microscope more than it's ever been, it's unrealistic for them to think they can still run the company like they did 6/7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Devastator wrote: »
    hhhmmmmmmmmmm somebodys been added back to ufc.com!

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Brock-Lesnar

:eek::eek::eek:

and today.....

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/shane-Carwin

edit - meant absolutely nothing

ASOT wrote: »

Awesome! I can't wait until Helwani breaks the news that Kennedy has finally found Hitler :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

So Lesnar is fighting Mark Hunt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Joe24 wrote: »
    So Lesnar is fighting Mark Hunt

What makes you say that?

I want odds on Hunt to KO Lesnar!

Lesnar confirmed it.

I would definitely be excited if it was Hunt,who wouldn't enjoy watching Hunt take his head off.

To his credit, he's not taking an easy fight (not that there is such a thing). It'll be interesting to see how he handles Hunt's power.

Lesnar confirmed it.

If true, Hunt will absolutely demolish him,he will be turtled up within 2 minutes.

newbbieb wrote: »
    What makes you say that?
    It's all over twitter and Lesnar confirmed it on ESPN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

To his credit, he's not taking an easy fight (not that there is such a thing). It'll be interesting to see how he handles Hunt's power.

Not to well I'd imagine, he never liked getting hit in the first place. I'll be lumping on Hunt KO.

I agree i would definitely have a bit more respect for Brock if he is taking on Hunt,it would be a brave fight to take from his point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Walk off KO rd 1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement