Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Gamebred wrote: »
    Walk off KO rd 1.

Think its almost a sure thing,wonder what price bookies will give on first round ko.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Link to watch The MMA Hour live below. Starts 6pm our time and it looks like the entire show is dedicated to what happened on Saturday:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/6/11863776/watch-the-mma-hour-live-today
    The MMA Hour is back in your life. It will also be a different kind of show this week.

On this week's episode of the show, we'll talk about what happened to me and two other members of our Web site at UFC 199 on Saturday night. We'll address everything.

Watch the show live below beginning at 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT / 6 p.m. BST.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

So did Brock tell USADA he is planning on fighting or has he been training while not being tested and UFC/USADA are not going to bother with their own four month rule?

Brock doesn't like getting hit so they give him the hardest hitter in the division and Hunt also has very good take down defence. Could be a quick night's work for Hunt.

Also good to see the UFC's decision on Helwani blowing up in their face with big outlets reporting it and Helwani making appearances on big shows today. They definitely weren't expecting this type of exposure calling them small time/petty etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Fair play to Brock, Hunt is not an easy fight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Davei141 wrote: »
    If Dana said it then it must be true. :pac: Because Ariel broke the story a few hours before the promo aired I can really imagine Lesnar thinking "stuff your couple of million quid, cancel the sportscenter interview, Helwani has ruined everything!" ..

That wouldnt be childish at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Am I the only one who thinks Brock will drive hunt to the mat and pound him for 4 minutes and win??
    By the way, I hope I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wonder what Brock's ego is like these days.

Stand and trade = quick KO win for Hunt.

Shoot straight for the takedown = repeat of UFC 100 win over Mir.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Hunts TDD is pretty solid, I really don't see how Brock wins especially after such a long lay off.

• Advertisement

Very, very tough fight for Lesnar who will have been away for 4 and a half years by the time UFC 200 comes around. I can only see it going one way (Hunt KO), though if Brock can shoot and land top position on the ground.....

Fromvert wrote: »
    So did Brock tell USADA he is planning on fighting or has he been training while not being tested and UFC/USADA are not going to bother with their own four month rule?

Brock doesn't like getting hit so they give him the hardest hitter in the division and Hunt also has very good take down defence. Could be a quick night's work for Hunt.

Also good to see the UFC's decision on Helwani blowing up in their face with big outlets reporting it and Helwani making appearances on big shows today. They definitely weren't expecting this type of exposure calling them small time/petty etc

The UFC can waive the 4 months retirement notice if they want. They can also do it secretly as Ariel has said but it'd surprise me tbh if they were testing him for the last 4 months. Funny how Conor was retired for 2 days and they threatened him with it though.

Definitely a tough matchup for Brock with Hunt's striking but I think you are overestimating his TDD. Stipe Miocic took him down 4 times in the fight and he has no wrestling background. Hunt doesn't have particularly good TDD imo, the main reason it can look good is because of his weight and low centre of gravity. His sprawl is pretty poor IMO and his scramble non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

link to his sportscentre interview

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Lukker- wrote: »
    The UFC can waive the 4 months retirement notice if they want. They can also do it secretly as Ariel has said but it'd surprise me tbh if they were testing him for the last 4 months. Funny how Conor was retired for 2 days and they threatened him with it though.

Definitely a tough matchup for Brock with Hunt's striking but I think you are overestimating his TDD. Stipe Miocic took him down 4 times in the fight and he has no wrestling background. Hunt doesn't have particularly good TDD imo, the main reason it can look good is because of his weight and low centre of gravity. His sprawl is pretty poor IMO and his scramble non-existent.

Miocic wrestled at the NCAA Division 1 level, not sure how well he did but competing at that level shows he has a high level of wrestling background.
    I probably am over estimating Hunt's TDD ability as I'd love for him to get another walk off KO with so many eyeballs on him.

A few more fighters announced for Hamburg.

Manuwa v TBA
    Dalby v TBA
    Danho v Colombo (UFC debut)

That's to go with:

Arlovski v Barnett (main event)
    Latifi v Bader
    Askham v Hermansson (UFC debut)

Then Hein and Ayari will obviously be on the card too as they have been doing all the promo over there, so that's 8 fights.

Very underwhelming so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Be interesting to see what Reebok pay Lesnar:pac:

Fromvert wrote: »
    Miocic wrestled at the NCAA Division 1 level, not sure how well he did but competing at that level shows he has a high level of wrestling background.
    I probably am over estimating Hunt's TDD ability as I'd love for him to get another walk off KO with so many eyeballs on him.

Didn't realise he was a highschool wrestler, he really is a renaissance man! Golden gloves boxer, almost made it as a baseball player and a fireman by trade.

Had a look there, he lost all his matches at NCAA level but the fact that he made it shows he had a good aptitude for it. He just doesn't really utilize it in the UFC except for his TDD, relies much more on his boxing.

dave1982 wrote: »

id imagine itll be a good bit thought thatd be a major barrier to him returning!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Be interesting to see whether Hunt goes hunting for his chin or takes out the body first, there's no way Brock has psychologically recovered from his illness, he'll wince with every shot he takes to the gut. Can't drop his guard too much against Hunt though or he's going to sleep. It's really hard to look past a first round KO for the Super Samoan here.

As a fan of Brock across both MMA and wrestling, I do hope he pulls off the upset though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

burn Helwani

Brock "I don't know who that is"

• Advertisement

burn Helwani

Brock "I don't know who that is"

Funnier is the fact that Ariel has interviewed him multiple times.

Kind of throws cold water on the fact that Dana said Brock was raging and almost pulled out because of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

dave1982 wrote: »
    Depp wrote: »
    id imagine itll be a good bit thought thatd be a major barrier to him returning!

He would just be on 10k for the normal fight contract right? He's not had many zuffa fights at all. As depp said though, as a separate deal I'm sure they'll have had to put their hands deep in their pockets to keep him happy.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Funnier is the fact that Ariel has interviewed him multiple times.

Kind of throws cold water on the fact that Dana said Brock was raging and almost pulled out because of it though.

OR its Lesnar basically saying "He doesn't exist anymore after what he done"....depends what way you look at it. Who cares anyway?

Devastator wrote: »
    He would just be on 10k for the normal fight contract right? He's not had many zuffa fights at all. As depp said though, as a separate deal I'm sure they'll have had to put their hands deep in their pockets to keep him happy.

yeah im sure he'll get a seperate deal cause he can still keep wearing reebok in the wwe due to his contract allowing outside sponsors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Depp wrote: »
    yeah im sure he'll get a seperate deal cause he can still keep wearing reebok in the wwe due to his contract allowing outside sponsors

After how he handled his sponsorships last time in UFC it wouldn't surprise me if he demands a separate reebok mma only deal to what he already has for wrestling. I'm saying this but I know absolutely nothing about his wrestling life/contract

It's most likely a one time thing. What Reebok are paying him isn't really important when you compare it to what his show money is likely to be. He'll prob make some money from his own sponsors for fight week and embedded stuff too.

Devastator wrote: »
    After how he handled his sponsorships last time in UFC it wouldn't surprise me if he demands a separate reebok mma only deal to what he already has for wrestling. I'm saying this but I know absolutely nothing about his wrestling life/contract

yeah all speculation none of us know really how itll go down just he had that written into his last wwe contract and itd make sense for reebok really but its all speculation at this stage, be interesting to see how it goes down

dunno if this has been posted yet but it all kicks off in ten minutes well worth tuning in id say!

Ariel seems emotional already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

He's quite visibly upset. Poor guy.

• Advertisement

Ariel is in bits here. This will be a tough watch. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement