Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

So how do we all feel about him getting paid by Zuffa for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'ts cos in MMA (like Wrestling with the WWE) as much as you would like to say there isn't, there really is only one game in town (The UFC). This would be the equivilant of the biggest name soccer journalist not being banned from Old Trafford but being banned by Uefa or Fifa.

Ah Fergie never spoke with the BBC after they reported something he didn't like. Shıt happens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

This aint doing him any favours anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Zuffa, White & Ufc are total scumbags.
    This is hard to watch , the guy loves MMA. The guests that he has featured on the show have been nothing short of fantastic.
    He is highly regarded amongst his peers and the MMA fighters in general.

With regard to Ronda, misha Tate was on joe rogan and was saying how much of a b1tch Ronda is.

Just hope he continues his reporting and interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

cian68 wrote: »
    So how do we all feel about him getting paid by Zuffa for years?

To be fair he did say that the money given to him was from FOX > Zuffa > Ariel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Feel bad for him, it clearly is his world and it's just been taken away. He was stupid to do what he did but he's definitely learned his lesson. Dana and the UFC ought to give him back his press credentials its good PR for them anyway at this stage.

He should've left fox at the first stage of trouble getting pulled,no one to blame but himself on that note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Won't slag the guy for getting emotional because his job is MMA and he's hit a huge crossroad this weekend but after the altercation stuff it doesn't sound like he stood up for himself enough until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

WarZ wrote:
    Feel bad for him, it clearly is his world and it's just been taken away. He was stupid to do what he did but he's definitely learned his lesson. Dana and the UFC ought to give him back his press credentials its good PR for them anyway at this stage.

He hasn't learned any lessons he'll do same **** again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hendo made 800k from Saturday night......:eek: No wonder the bollox won't retire

• Advertisement

So Dana and Lorenzo play for keepsies… I really don't buy that he didn't understand this.
    (*yes, I feel slightly mean typing that)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That was absolutely heartbreaking to watch, been following his work for years and he is unrivalled at what he does, simple as that. As he says, he bats 1.000 and that is for certain.

I see a few negative comments in the last few pages, and it disgusts me. If your career was ruined the way his was on Saturday night, you'd feel the same way I can guarantee.

Don't see a way back for Ariel now as far as working UFC events goes, but its their loss at the end of the day.

martyos121 wrote:
    I see a few negative comments in the last few pages, and it disgusts me. If your career was ruined the way his was on Saturday night, you'd feel the same way I can guarantee.

I think it's more he's pretending like this was a big surprise and as cali girl said a few posts back dana and fertita's play for keeps everyone knows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The way the world revolves, someone will take Helwani's place and everybody will have moved on from this in 6 months time. The drama over this will have been forgotten by the masses.

martyos121 wrote:
    Don't see a way back for Ariel now as far as working UFC events goes, but its their loss at the end of the day.

I think it's way more his loss if we're all honest, ufc is going nowhere aerial is crying on YouTube about his family and ****.

Yeah that's crass by me, but it's what's happened

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I think it's more he's pretending like this was a big surprise and as cali girl said a few posts back dana and fertita's play for keeps everyone knows this.

I think it's classless and mean. Ariel is a genuine guy, there's zero evidence to even remotely suggest otherwise. He does his job, he does it well, and this is how he gets treated for it. It's wrong what Dana and Lorenzo did to him, and it's wrong some of the nasty things said about him in the last hour or so. Not going after anyone in particular, there's a few on all of the major forums saying such things.

martyos121 wrote:
    I think it's classless and mean. Ariel is a genuine guy, there's zero evidence to even remotely suggest otherwise. He does his job, he's does it well, and this is how he gets treated for it. It's wrong what Dana and Lorenzo did to him, and it's wrong some of the nasty things said about him in the last hour or so. Not going after anyone in particular, there's a few on all of the major forums saying such things.

Look first there was burt Watson, and people said this was it.

Then stitch ok this is it.

Then the lawsuit ok this is definitely it.

Then schaub gets torn to pieces over reebok by white fans everywhere even rogan got in on that one... Oh man this is it for sure.

Now helwani oh it's on.

It's not next week someone else takes helwani place, cowherd has already eased into the Fox stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

My granny knows more about MMA than Cowherd tbf :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Can't see how people are saying bad things about him. The man loves journalism, broadcasting and follows the morals set like no other. I have never seen another journalist who comes across with the same passion as him. That's the reason fighters go to him with news, that's why that all other MMA podcasts have one good guest a week, he usually has 6.

Had the pleasure of meeting him at UFC 194 and he was a gentleman. You also hear about the SevereMMA lads say that he was the one who got them their credentials and how he gives younger journalist stories to help make their careers.

Disgusting the way he has been treated. I've turned a blind eye in regards to the Stitch controversy, the Reebok deal and other things but my god Dana and Lorenzo really are pieces of ****. Dana going to TMZ of all places to tell them that Ariel can buy a ticket for UFC200 is so so petty aswell. Should be on Keeping up with the Kardashians at this stage.

stephenl15 wrote:
    My granny knows more about MMA than Cowherd tbf

Yep and everyone went with it that's the point nobody skipped fox over it...

• Advertisement

Then schaub gets torn to pieces over reebok by white fans everywhere even rogan got in on that one... Oh man this is it for sure.

Now helwani oh it's on.

It's not next week someone else takes helwani place, cowherd has already eased into the Fox stuff.

I'm not saying people won't move on from it. I'm saying don't kick a man when he's down, not directed at either of your replies to me btw, I don't disagree with some of your points.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I think it's classless and mean. Ariel is a genuine guy, there's zero evidence to even remotely suggest otherwise. He does his job, he does it well, and this is how he gets treated for it. It's wrong what Dana and Lorenzo did to him, and it's wrong some of the nasty things said about him in the last hour or so. Not going after anyone in particular, there's a few on all of the major forums saying such things.

For sure he's genuine guy and a great reporter, but he is living and almost wilfully pretending to operate in a different world to those he's dependent on: the UFC. And then crying not fair when they behave in a manner entirely consistent with their reputations and warnings to him.

He needs to find an environment more suited to his sensibilities or develop a tougher skin.

The Stitch/Burt firings bothered me far more for some reason….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

wether or not ariel gets his press credentials back, he'll still be the main man he still has his contacts, we'll still all tune into the mma hour every monday and we'll still all hop on ariels twitter to see if a breaking story is legit, ariel will allways be the top dog when it comes to mma media whether the ufc are on board or not!

martyos121 wrote:
    I'm not saying people won't move on from it. I'm saying don't kick a man when he's down, not directed at either of your replies to me btw, I don't disagree with most of your points.

I get it,your grand,

I'm usually disagreeing with everyone on here anyway I'm a bit of a cold hearted old bastard at the best of times.

He sounds surprised a few egotistical billionaires ****ed him over,mind boggling,he ended comparing it to the holocaust at the end he needs to man up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

That was ****ing heartbreaking.

Guy puts his soul into something for years and has a bunch scumbags yank it from him. He admitted he took that Zuffa money, and also shed a light on SOME of the shady **** that just happened to HIM. Imagine what **** goes down no hears about, we are all here cause we love it but ffs he is reporting the news his job and all the football analogy's are correct this **** wouldn't be bad or an issue if it was another sport it would be reporting the news.

Agree with him or not but to blast a man that so many in the media and fighters hold in high esteem over being upset on his ****ing huge internet show at being badly mistreated says more of you than it does of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Should be on Keeping up with the Kardashians at this stage.

Thats how I feel about the whole situation. Can we start talking about fighting again sometime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Now helwani oh it's on.

I actually had few issues, and actually backed the UFC, for the majority of the issues with the likes of Burt and Stitch but this is a totally different situation. UFC demanding their staff keep the company line is one thing, threatening to go out of their way to ruin a career of an independent journalist for doing a good job is a totally different. I’d understand if he was reporting lies, or going down the TMZ/outrageous tabloid type route, but each time what he posted was correct.

I don’t understand fans who are backing the UFC on this. We either want actual MMA news outlets breaking news or we might as well just wait for the UFC (or their anointed source of the day) to break things.
    callaway92 wrote: »
    The way the world revolves, someone will take Helwani's place and everybody will have moved on from this in 6 months time. The drama over this will have been forgotten by the masses.

Again, this isn’t like Burt or Stitch, Ariel will still be able to do a lot of the stuff he currently does, outside of Fight Week. I’d say his big concern is that they’ll try to blacklist him and tell their fighters not to speak to him on his show, that would be the end of him.

I’m guessing the reason why he took this option today was due to the mainstream media attention it has received in the States and the hopes that this will get more mainstream outlets take notice. UFC fears the mainstream media but we’ve seen with the likes of McGregor that they have no problem staring down bad publicity.

Foxtrol wrote:
    I don’t understand fans who are backing the UFC on this. We either want actual MMA news outlets breaking news or we might as well just wait for the UFC (or their anointed source of the day) to break things.

It's not the cure for cancer it's mma news nobody cares that much it'll come out when it's ready that's why alot of people are with ufc on this.

Alot with helwani too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It's not the cure for cancer it's mma news nobody cares that much it'll come out when it's ready that's why alot of people are with ufc on this.

Alot with helwani too though.

If the bar you set for things you’re interested in hearing about is the cure for cancer then most of life must be quite boring for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement