Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The problem is the ufc wants pr any nothing else,If we want our news from Helwani we should be able to follow him and get it instead of tuning into a ppv,thats a major issue here personal problems aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Foxtrol wrote:
    If the bar you set for things you’re interested in hearing about is the cure for cancer then most of life must be quite boring for you.

Look he broke a story that was a big scoop for UFC 200 3 hours before they aired the commercial, he should have tweeted big announcement tonight anything but he tweeted the whole thing while, at the event.

He pissed of lorenzo and dana and Brock.

He played with big boys he lost he cried let's move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Look he broke a story that was a big scoop for UFC 200 3 hours before they aired the commercial, he should have tweeted big announcement tonight anything but he tweeted the whole thing while, at the event.

You have a very simple view on life,everything is black and white isnt it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

He is an MMA journalist...it is his job to break stories! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

He doesn’t work for the UFC (thanks to a decision they made), why should he keep it a secret for them?

If your ‘Big Boys’ want to play that way they don’t get the choice to ‘move on’. They were getting heat before for revoking his credentials, it’ll just get louder if its true they threatened to try to destroy his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Dave0301 wrote:
    He is an MMA journalist...it is his job to break stories!

Not anymore apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Fighters reaction will be interesting.

They are, of course, independent contractors.

Dana et al can be upset but it is their reaction which is taking away from the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not anymore apparently

Did you listen to the end of today's show at all? Clearly not I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It will be interesting to see if we start to get even more breaking news stuff from Helwani now. He said on the show today that he sat on the McGregor v dos Anjos story for one. It would be awesome if he started breaking stories left, right and center and was always a step ahead of the UFC (even more so than he currently is) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Paully D wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if we start to get even more breaking news stuff from Helwani now. He said on the show today that he sat on the McGregor v dos Anjos story for one. It would be awesome if he started breaking stories left, right and center and was always a step ahead of the UFC :pac:

Dos Anjos was just before he got bumped from Fox (it was the Diaz announcement and Rory were the final straws).

Gloves have been off for him for a while which led up to this weekend. Think UFC took the hump every story he broke from that point on.

I don't doubt the mole paranoia at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp I'd say he will get even more inside info now and nothing holding him back. I really hope he buys a ticket, attends 200 and reports live as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp I'd say he will get even more inside info now and nothing holding him back. I really hope he buys a ticket, attends 200 and reports live as usual.

Could they remove a fan? He should buy front row tickets for every event.

I presume he couldnt get his laptop / interview gear in. But he could live tweet the whole thing and break every bit of news they have first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

UFCs new show is called "UFC Unfiltered". Oh the irony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Dana White told TMZ that his press credentials won't be given back as long as he is there. Said he can still buy tickets to the events though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Ariel isn't going anywhere, hes head and shoulders above everyone in the MMA Journalism game, in every aspect. He still has his big contact book so dont know how we wont still get leaks before everyone else. Ill still tune into the MMA hour every single week and follow MMA fighting on Facebook and his twitter as im sure most hardcore mma fans.

Itll be interesting to see how McGregor for example, who is Lorenzo and Dana's buddy, reacts to this however as Ariel gave him his first big break in interviewing him before his UFC Debut wasn't it and also had that big long hour long walking interview with him through dublin. Wonder will he ever go back on the MMA hour now.

I wonder… Ariel wasn't presenting like someone with the appetite for such shenanigans though. Plus if/as UFC brass put the pressure on his MMAFighting.com colleagues / friends it could get more and more difficult for him. Whilst many of the fighters (Jones notably) and independent commentators (Schaub) have publicly aligned, I wonder how deep those allegiances will really go? I can hope - but can't see a unionised type of alliance lasting for Ariel - unfortunately. Plus Fox, Bellator et all will all be wary of him now: 'emotional' and 'naive' make big business nervous: esp when they have lots of $$$ invested and might be hoping to recoup on a sale.

I just recalled that slightly odd moment between Ariel and Joe Rogan like a week or so back when Rogan was a flash cameo appearance on the MMA Hour - because TFATK were using his studio whilst talking to Ariel. Anyway Helwani said something that struck me as very odd at the time to Rogan: <<Joe I always thought you weren't on my side or didn't like me>> or something to that effect. Kind of odd now in retrospect…

But maybe I'm over reaching and being too negative. Hope so. Feels like lots of the old skool colour and personalities of the UFC are being managed out of late though, so I wonder if it's not all connected to the sale.

Tinie wrote: »
    Ariel isn't going anywhere, hes head and shoulders above everyone in the MMA Journalism game, in every aspect. He still has his big contact book so dont know how we wont still get leaks before everyone else. Ill still tune into the MMA hour every single week and follow MMA fighting on Facebook and his twitter as im sure most hardcore mma fans.

Itll be interesting to see how McGregor for example, who is Lorenzo and Dana's buddy, reacts to this however as Ariel gave him his first big break in interviewing him before his UFC Debut wasn't it and also had that big long hour long walking interview with him through dublin. Wonder will he ever go back on the MMA hour now.

Of course he will, he's not the type to kiss Dana and Lorenzo's ass like that. I can guarantee we'll never see Ronda on it again though.

Fighters will still go on the MMA hour. Fighters like Jones have already said they will continue to support him, if you have a few champs doing it the lower level guys won't hesitate. Now, everyone isn't gonna go on talking about free agency but the fact is, Ariel is the best medium if you are looking for leverage against the UFC for things like contract talks. His podcast will continue to be that, next week's guests will be telling.

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Anyway Helwani said something that struck me as very odd at the time to Rogan: <<Joe I always thought you weren't on my side or didn't like me>> or something to that effect. Kind of odd now in retrospect…

If I remember right, he said something like "I thought you didnt like me Joe" in reference to Joe never coming on the MMA hour. I dont think Joe is involved/cares with any mma journalism that Ariel does so wouldnt be involved in this.

60c9f1011fe24edd94ffd33f96fdc8d8.png

Regardless of where you stand on this debate, it's tough to see a genuinely nice guy reduced to that. He clearly loves his job and the sport.

• Advertisement

If I remember right, he said something like "I thought you didnt like me Joe" in reference to Joe never coming on the MMA hour. I dont think Joe is involved/cares with any mma journalism that Ariel does so wouldnt be involved in this.

It was clearly tongue in cheek because they used to appear frequently on each others podcasts. Joe has said a few times recently that he'd love to have Ariel on his podcast, problem is Ariel is rarely in New York because no UFC events there.

Lukker- wrote: »
    It was clearly tongue in cheek because they used to appear frequently on each others podcasts. Joe has said a few times recently that he'd love to have Ariel on his podcast, problem is Ariel is rarely in New York because no UFC events there.

Yes I know they weren't serious, sure they were both laughing when they were saying this. I was replying to the other poster about what Ariel said to Joe.

I know I'm going a little off topic, but Rogan is bored to tears with doing UFC/MMA stuff at this stage, no wonder he won't do The MMA Hour. :pac: It may have been from the same interview or one of his own podcasts recently, but he was asked about the UFC being sold and he basically said whenever he calls them they ask him to do something and he couldn't be arsed so he just doesn't bother :pac: He said on his most recent Fight Companion that he prefers doing the Fight Companion's over commentary.

I'd be very surprised if he stayed on past his contract expiry in August.

Paully D wrote: »
    I know I'm going a little off topic, but Rogan is bored to tears with doing UFC/MMA stuff at this stage, no wonder he won't do The MMA Hour. :pac: It may have been from the same interview or one of his own podcasts recently, but he was asked about the UFC being sold and he basically said whenever he calls them they ask him to do something and he couldn't be arsed so he just doesn't bother :pac: He said on his most recent Fight Companion that he prefers doing the Fight Companion's over commentary.

I'd be very surprised if he stayed on past his contract expiry in August.

That's such a shame too because his mark-out moments are iconic at this stage. I'll certainly miss the Rogan Scream when he leaves, and it's pretty much a sure thing that he will by the looks of it.

Yes I know they weren't serious, sure they were both laughing when they were saying this. I was replying to the other poster about what Ariel said to Joe.
    cheers: didn't know that - thx. And I do get carried away sometimes…
    Was coming at this from the Rogan-Danaas besties angle...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Cali_girl wrote: »
    cheers: didn't know that - thx. And I do get carried away sometimes…
    Was coming at this from the Rogan-Danaas besties angle...

rogan and dana are pretty good pals but i just cant see rogan toeing the party line and not saying what he wants, the ufc gave him the boot in the morning he'd be happy enough id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Bought UFC 199 on Fight Pass and watched it live at weekend. Went onto figh t pass tonight to watch main event again and its looking for me to shell out 19.99 again? Wtf? Is it only valid for 24 hours or something ?
    PS just watched first fight pass prelim,Christ what a fight

I know Front Row Brian talks a lot of bollocks, but this story seems to have been all but verified by a few media guys:

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/739882543600656385
    https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/739882950846619648

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

That was painful to watch, the man bleeds mma and is a pleasure to be around, I'll never forgot meeting him after meeting Forrest right before him I think I gave a bigger pop for Helwani, absolute gentleman. I hope it all works out for him and will without a doubt continue to watch the mma hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depp wrote: »
    wether or not ariel gets his press credentials back, he'll still be the main man he still has his contacts, we'll still all tune into the mma hour every monday and we'll still all hop on ariels twitter to see if a breaking story is legit, ariel will allways be the top dog when it comes to mma media whether the ufc are on board or not!
    He'd still have the MMA hour and stories coming to him (prehaps more so now). But press access at events is pretty big part of his reporting. He'll still be able to do it if fighters seek him out, that's the maybe right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement