Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Depp wrote: »
    rogan and dana are pretty good pals but i just cant see rogan toeing the party line and not saying what he wants, the ufc gave him the boot in the morning he'd be happy enough id say!

Relative to the position he has with the UFC, Rogan is easily the most openly critical of the UFC in terms of anyone directly associated with them I would say and I would include fighters in that. Often when I'm listening to his podcasts and he's talking about the UFC, I find myself thinking "Jesus, I can't believe he said that". :pac:

He constantly oversteps the North Korea like mark the UFC have drawn when it comes to discussing the organisation and I don't know how he gets away with it. Maybe they're just not bothered because he's going to be gone in a few months time anyway, or (funnily enough given the Helwani situation that has transpired over the last couple of days) perhaps they're worried that if he did get a slap on the wrist/the bullet it would be a bad move due to his penchant for speaking his mind, the amount of stuff he probably knows that they wouldn't want getting into the public domain and his relationship with fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ASOT wrote: »
    That was painful to watch, the man bleeds mma and is a pleasure to be around, I'll never forgot meeting him after meeting Forrest right before him I think I gave a bigger pop for Helwani, absolute gentleman. I hope it all works out for him and will without a doubt continue to watch the mma hour!

Yeah, I met him in London at Bisping v Silva and I have to say he was a complete gent. He was very busy but took the time to have a quick chat and when I asked him for a picture he couldn't have been more obliging, even going out of his way to thank me for coming over to say hello before I left.

Often you'll find at least one or two people who have had a bad experience when they've met someone who is in the public eye, but I can honestly say I've never heard, seen or read that from anyone regarding Ariel and that speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Be great if all the top journos came together & stopped covering events for awhile. see how the ufc would feel then.

Be great to see Dana & co there at post fight presser with nobody to ask any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Its a credit to lads here own experience with him and the response he has gotten and the local and world mma scene. Done himself proud imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Be great if all the top journos came together & stopped covering events for awhile. see how the ufc would feel then.

Be great to see Dana & co there at post fight presser with nobody to ask any questions.

Not gonna happen, half the people who get press passes are UFC shills.

Much like their panel of "media experts" who control the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Would be funny to see Sholler impersonating ten different journos alright, he's one hell of a company guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nice idea, never gonna happen. A lot of journalist are pretty scummy (not all). And even if they wanted to boycott, media editors are even scummy idea. Joe Bloggs from random new outlet won't make a stand of Ariel when his job is on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Few heartless comments on here but glad to see mostly positive.

Can't understand anyone who didn't feel for him there. Sounds like he's had a rough time of it behind then scenes and the UFC sound like such dicks to have to deal with.

Hopefully the media get behind this story though and something changes. Maybe the UFC being sold might not be such a bad thing in some respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Got a pic with him at UFC Dublin, just before weigh ins, huge line waiting but he made time for everyone and had a big smile for everyone. He drummed up some amount of business over the years for the UFC by hyping fights with his interviews.

It's mad, if UFC just kept pissed at him privately, then everyone right now would only be talking about Brock.

PS. Hunt with the walk off KO.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It's mad, if UFC just kept pissed at him privately, then everyone right now would only be talking about Brock.
    They booted Ariel for fear he ruined the story, and ended up ruining the story.
    It's like a self fulfilling prophesy.

That's the result of emotional reactions compared to business/market orientated actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just occured to me that Dana/ Fertita are just like Vince ine WWE. Brilliant at what they do but fučking ruthless at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

stephenl15 wrote: »
    My granny knows more about MMA than Cowherd tbf :P

Sure he has hotel rooms booked for McGregor vs Mayweather on September 17th :P

Have to say I was very impressed with Helwani earlier, with regards to how hard he works to verify stories etc and how much ethical journalism means to him.
    Gamebred wrote: »
    He sounds surprised a few egotistical billionaires ****ed him over,mind boggling,he ended comparing it to the holocaust at the end he needs to man up big time.

Man up? He has just effectively been bullied out of doing the job he loves. And for what? For breaking mma news? UFC sound like very controlling people. All comes across as very amateurish and immature no matter how much money they have. The fault lies with them. If wanting to break the Lesnar story during the 199 broadcast was so important to them, well then they should have done a better job of keeping a lid on it.

Ariel said tonight that he has sat on stories for them many times before and so maybe, just maybe, they should have called him and asked would he do them a favour and not break the story if he has got wind of it. Obviously though, they made the call that he didn't know about it and it's all just sour grapes now, toys well and truly out of their pram.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Sure he has hotel rooms booked for McGregor vs Mayweather on September 17th :P

Have to say I was very impressed with Helwani earlier, with regards to how hard he works to verify stories etc and how much ethical journalism means to him.

Man up? He has just effectively been bullied out of doing the job he loves. And for what? For breaking mma news? UFC sound like very controlling people. All comes across as very amateurish and immature no matter how much money they have. The fault lies with them. If wanting to break the Lesnar story during the 199 broadcast was so important to them, well then they should have done a better job of keeping a lid on it.

Ariel said tonight that he has sat on stories for them many times before and so maybe, just maybe, they should have called him and asked would he do them a favour and not break the story if he has got wind of it. Obviously though, they made the call that he didn't know about it and it's all just sour grapes now, toys well and truly out of their pram.

Wrong,he was banned from attending ufc media days and given free ufc seats thats not his job alone,nothing stopping him making a living reporting on the ufc or stopping him buying a ticket so lets not make out he's been shut up and his career is over,its not.

I fully support him emotions are running high for him but the tears,and the comparisons with his family fleeing a holocaust are too much im sorry but he needs to get himself together here its not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Wrong,he was banned from attending ufc media days and given free ufc seats thats not his job alone,nothing stopping him making a living reporting on the ufc or stopping him buying a ticket so lets not make out he's been shut up and his career is over,its not.

You're being pedantic. He's been pushed out of doing his current job as he knows it. Of course he can still report on UFC, nobody said otherwise.

In case you missed it, he also said they had told him that they would ruin him in the future also and so how the hell is that not bullying him out of doing his job and indeed any job which entails reporting on UFC?
    I fully support him emotions are running high for him but the tears,and the comparisons with his family fleeing a holocaust are too much im sorry but he needs to get himself together here its not the end of the world.

Drawing comparisons =/= equating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Buying a ticket and sitting beside me or you isn't the same as having backstage access.

It's the end of his professional world is probably how it seems to him at the moment. It might be a different context for everyone but if you worked for years studying and to get your dream job and then have it taken away for doing nothing wrong I'd imagine you'd feel hard done by as well.

It's all about the free UFC buffet. why won't Dana just let the man have some buffet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mellor wrote: »
    It's all about the free UFC buffet. why won't Dana just let the man have some buffet

I agree, but he'd have to stay away from it at 200 regardless, Hendricks and Gastelum are on that card together. That fight will start over the last chicken wing, they won't even make it to the octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

glad thats sorted! just goes to show the reach and good will ariel has!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

also just noticed online that there are reports that Kimbo Slice has passed away, was admitted to hospital in the last hour ''in bad shape'' and apparently passed away since, very sad to see really did great things for the profile of the sport and a true warrior, RIP

Edit: confirmed by American Top Team

https://twitter.com/AmericanTopTeam/status/740013805615218692

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Holy shìt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He came across as a nice guy and anyone who talked to him (fighters, media etc) always said how nice he was. Sad news : (

Wow, RIP. He had this crazty image coming into MMA. But from his season on TUF he came across as a genuinely nice guy who just ended up in the meanest guy in the hood spot.

That story with him and Schuab cracks me up.

RE: THe MMA Fighting Ban.
    Good move, and I'm glad cooler heads have prevailed. In heat of the moment it's easy to do something stupid. Glad they had the sense to admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The UFC discovered that you can't play games with journalist and not expect backlash from the media as a whole. All the man did was report the news and they tried to black ball him and it blew up in their faces.

Delighted for Helwani how mainstream it went and how universal the backlash towards Dana and the Fertitta's was, the UFC messed up big time and gave themselves a massive black eye while also giving Helwani and even bigger audience.

RIP to Kimbo, loved hearing stories from other fighters about him, seemed like a good guy from all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

RIP Kimbo.

Good to have Ariel back I hope he is not hesitant to break stories after this. I feel the only way you can truly report on this sport 100% is not relying on credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

RIP Kimbo

Seemed like a lovely chap. On the subject Frank Lester has made some disgusting comments on his death on his facebook.

"Just saw Kimbo passed away, very sorry to hear that, on another note, the Bellator Heavyweight division just gained 1 more inch of credibility. ‪#‎RealTalk‬ ‪#‎RIPkimbo‬"

"Kimbo was a great entertainer and draw for PPV's amongst the lower class, but what a joke of a martial artist."

Pretty disgusting to come out with comments like that on hearing the news of his passing irrespective of its validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Even that statement from UFC is ridiculous, and slyly continues to try and slight Ariel, implying that his motives were boot journalistic.

The problem with Dana and the Fertittas is that they want the whole Vince McMahon outright control model (as is their right as owners of the thing) but also want the rewards that come with the being part of the mainstream. If you want mainstream credibility and respect (and the subsequent $$$ that come with it) you can't bully and gag reporters simply for doing their job. I don't understand people saying that Ariel did something wrong just because the news was on the verge of breaking. That kind of blind loyalty is dangerous. Yes, you can understand the UFC being pissed off, but that's their problem, not his. Run a tighter ship and stop the leaks if you want to avoid reporters getting big scoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Polycom

Mellor wrote: »
    Wow, RIP. He had this crazty image coming into MMA. But from his season on TUF he came across as a genuinely nice guy who just ended up in the meanest guy in the hood spot.

That story with him and Schuab cracks me up.

Don't think I know the story, what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement