Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Fedor vs Moldanado, June 17!

edit -> got it arseways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I wouldn't write off Chad just yet. I think he took the Frankie fight too soon after taking a bad KO from Conor, and when I watched it live I thought the Frankie fight was just stopped a little bit early (Haven't seen it on TV though).

Pettis looks a man derailed of confidence and found out to a degree. If you look at Gil fight that he won he was getting beat in that one too, pulled out the sub and won and has lost 3 since.

But, as you said, Him against Holloway or Yair would be fantastic. I think they'll give him an easier fight first. Maybe Lamas or Ortega.

If Chad could make the cut to 35,there is a ready made beef with TAM and Cruz that would be a monster fight if he put together a couple wins at 35 beforehand but probably isn't gonna take on making what might be a difficult cut at this stage in his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Paully D wrote: »
    Rogan's thoughts on Ariel and the UFC with Rogan detailing what he had been hearing from the UFC's side of things.

I like Rogan but saying that it was going to come out anyway and so shouldn't have been leaked kinda misses the point. There are lots of sports stories covered each and every day that are 'going to come out anyway'. If Man Utd have signed a player and are set to announce it tomorrow, should journalists just sit on that information cause it's gonna be released the next day? Of course not. I think it was also unfair of Joe to say that Helwani was just doing it for himself, to make himself look good.

Helwani's reply:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/740532165516099584

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is ridiculous IMO.

Lesnar should have been tested under USADA's guidelines for 4 months prior to returning to competition, however there's a loophole whereby the UFC can grant an exemption under "exceptional circumstances" and they have granted this to Brock, the reason being that he last fought in 2011, long before USADA and only signed his contract a few days ago.

However, his return has been on the cards for months (as stated by the man himself) so the argument that he has been gone since 2011 and only signed to fight a few days ago is a joke.

Shamelessly ruining the good work that they have done over the last few months in relation to USADA.
    After deciding to come out of a retirement that lasted more than four years, Brock Lesnar will have approximately one month to prepare for Mark Hunt at UFC 200.

According to normal UFC Anti-Doping Policy standards, Lesnar would have been required to provide significantly more notice regarding his return. According to paragraph 5.7.1 of the policy, a fighter coming out of retirement may not compete “until he/she has given UFC written notice of his/her intent to resume competing and has made him/herself available for Testing for a period of four months before returning to competition.”

According to the UFC, Lesnar signed his UFC 200 bout agreement last Friday, just one day before the blockbuster announcement that occurred during the UFC 199 pay-per-view broadcast. However, there is a loophole in the policy that would allow the former heavyweight champion to fight despite not having provided that notice. Lesnar has not fought since UFC 141 on Dec. 30, 2011, when he suffered a technical knockout loss to Alistair Overeem.

“UFC may grant an exemption to the four-month written notice rule in exceptional circumstances or where the strict application of that rule would be manifestly unfair to an Athlete,” the policy states.

The Las Vegas-based promotion released a statement on Tuesday confirming a decision to exercise that exemption:

“On June 6, 2016, UFC heavyweight Brock Lesnar was registered by USADA into the UFC Anti-Doping Policy testing pool. As part of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, UFC may grant a former athlete an exemption to the four-month written notice rules in exceptional circumstances or where the strict application of that rule would be manifestly unfair to an athlete. Given Lesnar last competed in UFC on December 30, 2011, long before the UFC Anti-Doping Policy went into effect, for purposes of the Anti-Doping Policy, he is being treated similarly to a new athlete coming into the organization.

“While conversations with the heavyweight have been ongoing for some time, Lesnar required permission from WWE to compete in UFC 200 and only agreed to terms and signed a bout agreement last Friday. He was therefore unable to officially start the Anti-Doping Policy process any earlier. UFC, however, did notify Lesnar in the early stages of discussions that if he were to sign with the UFC, he would be subject to all of the anti-doping rules. Lesnar and his management have now been formally educated by USADA on the policy, procedures and expectations.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

How long is it since Lesnar 'competed' in wwe? Maybe they're trying to give his body as much of a chance to clean out anything as possible but surely he'll be subject to the standard testing now he's an active fighter again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Something just doesn't seem right here. Brock only signed last Friday. That's 5 weeks to Ufc200. There's no way he hasn't started camp long before last Friday. As for the testing well that's just typical UFC. Yeah we really want to fix this problem except when it doesn't suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It is a joke and gives them the ridiculous options of not being rule and being a rule when they benefit from it.

It's not a rule here as they get $$$ from it and it is a rule when they can use it as a power play (when they threatened Conor with it when he said he was retired).

Paully D wrote: »
    This is ridiculous IMO.

Lesnar should have been tested under USADA's guidelines for 4 months prior to returning to competition, however there's a loophole whereby the UFC can grant an exemption under "exceptional circumstances" and they have granted this to Brock, the reason being that he last fought in 2011, long before USADA and only signed his contract a few days ago.

However, his return has been on the cards for months (as stated by the man himself) so the argument that he has been gone since 2011 and only signed to fight a few days ago is a joke.

Shamelessly ruining the good work that they have done over the last few months in relation to USADA.

Doesn't surprise me in the least that they have clauses here and there to protect valuable assets,at the end of the day money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Devastator wrote: »
    How long is it since Lesnar 'competed' in wwe? Maybe they're trying to give his body as much of a chance to clean out anything as possible but surely he'll be subject to the standard testing now he's an active fighter again.

his last match was wrestlemania in april, been training since them seemingly, agree not having the 4 month period is a bit fishy but to be fair the athletes in the testing pool is public record so that would have been the announcement out of the bag 4 months in advance never mind 3 hours!, also he'll be tested from now on and i imagine knowing usada he can expect regular visits

Depp wrote: »
    his last match was wrestlemania in april, been training since them seemingly, agree not having the 4 month period is a bit fishy but to be fair the athletes in the testing pool is public record so that would have been the announcement out of the bag 4 months in advance never mind 3 hours!, also he'll be tested from now on and i imagine knowing usada he can expect regular visits

Surely keeping it a secret to pop a surprise on everyone shouldn't rank that high on that list of priorities,i mean if people suspected in advance it wouldn't change anything it would just give more time for promotion of the event.

• Advertisement

Depp wrote:

In fairness it's five weeks to the fight. He would have reaped the benefits over the last couple of months if he has been training.

newbbieb wrote: »
    Surely keeping it a secret to pop a surprise on everyone shouldn't rank that high on that list of priorities,i mean if people suspected in advance it wouldn't change anything it would just give more time for promotion of the event.

yeah i know that but an announcement like this 4 weeks in advance is going to do alot better than 4 months in advance, look at cm punk for example, if he'd have fought 4 weeks after the announcement it would have done huge buys, nowhere near as many people give a sh!t now! ufc is a business after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

yeah i know that but an announcement like this 4 weeks in advance is going to do alot better than 4 months in advance, look at cm punk for example, if he'd have fought 4 weeks after the announcement it would have done huge buys, nowhere near as many people give a sh!t now! ufc is a business after all!

CM Punk's first fight will still generate huge interest. If it's on the 202 card as Jeremy Botter reported that card could do over 2m PPV buys imo.

Maybe its been all pretty much in the bag except for the final written contracts. All the while Brock's been training away and not having any media to deal with(remember when doing/not doing a UFC200 was big news?lol), someone(ufc,brock,wee) are playing hardball looking to squeeze the last few bucks out of it. They can't realise anything or inform USADA until all the paperwork was done.

I would think nailing such a big star as Lesnar would be quite the scalp for USADA....they'll be outside his house every morning lol

TimRiggins wrote: »
    CM Punk's first fight will still generate huge interest. If it's on the 202 card as Jeremy Botter reported that card could do over 2m PPV buys imo.

definitely will...just not as much as if it had been earlier, also dont think this fight was a last minute sort of thing, especially with brock signing the bout agreement friday, say the organisation of this started soon after conor was pulled and before jones-cormier became an option

Devastator wrote: »
    Maybe its been all pretty much in the bag except for the final written contracts. All the while Brock's been training away and not having any media to deal with(remember when doing/not doing a UFC200 was big news?lol), someone(ufc,brock,wee) are playing hardball looking to squeeze the last few bucks out of it. They can't realise anything or inform USADA until all the paperwork was done.

I would think nailing such a big star as Lesnar would be quite the scalp for USADA....they'll be outside his house every morning lol

yeah definitely, Jeff Novitsky is moving into his spare room I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Its a clear admission he was on something ir is just off it and avoiding a test.

Usada should have tested him the day it was announced. Be interesting to see when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

definitely will...just not as much as if it had been earlier, also dont think this fight was a last minute sort of thing, especially with brock signing the bout agreement friday, say the organisation of this started soon after conor was pulled and before jones-cormier became an option

They must have known Brock was a major possibility before pulling Conor. They wouldn't have pulled him otherwise. The reasons seem ridiculous now, Brock wasn't there to do the presser or the commercials either!

Its a clear admission he was on something ir is just off it and avoiding a test.

That's a stretch in fairness. I wouldn't call it a clear admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Thomas Hauser said that Floyd used to do the same thing with USADA, sign bout agreements really close to fight time so that the testing was useless. What are the odds Brock wins/loses retires again and does the same thing next year for another once off.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Mark Hunt will knock Brock's head off his shoulders anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

TimRiggins wrote:
    They must have known Brock was a major possibility before pulling Conor. They wouldn't have pulled him otherwise. The reasons seem ridiculous now, Brock wasn't there to do the presser or the commercials either!

If they knew then ufc pulled of a masterstroke,

moved a fight that would sell well on its own anyway off ufc 200.

Generate a ton of publicity for both cards.

Generate ufc 200 buzz with lesnar.

Weaken mcgregors power within ufc by making him climb down.

I don't see Dana having that much foresight if I'm honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Paully D wrote:
    Hopefully Mark Hunt will knock Brock's head off his shoulders anyway.

What's with all the Brock hate, what am I missing.

I like hunt too but I would have thought lesnar would have been welcomed a bit more too...

Is it a wwe thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

jcd5971 wrote: »

I like hunt too but I would have thought lesnar would have been welcomed a bit more too...

Is it a wwe thing?

It's a he's not a full time fighter hopping onto a massive card after what 5 years?

Also he has shown that if someone hits him he gives up.

Also everyone ****ing loves Hunt and rightly so

jcd5971 wrote:

I think it's moreso love for Hunt than hate for Brock.

jcd5971 wrote: »

Is it a wwe thing?

I don't hate him at all, I think it's cool that he's coming back, but I'm more of a fan of Hunt and I don't like the way that Lesnar is being given the special exemption from USADA by the UFC by them using a sneaky loophole.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Thomas Hauser said that Floyd used to do the same thing with USADA, sign bout agreements really close to fight time so that the testing was useless. What are the odds Brock wins/loses retires again and does the same thing next year for another once off.

The HW division is in a bit of a state anyway(I think DW even said that on 1 of the looking for a fights). There is a real lack of depth as it is, but letting Brock come back again for any more 1 offs really makes a mockery of the whole division.

No doubt it'll make them all money as a 1 off, but if it is only a 1off what longterm advantage is there to the UFC for doing it? I can't see any. Any crossover fans would have kept interest in MMA from his 1st time across. I don't think there will be many wrestling fans suddenly become MMA fans because of this 1 Lesnar fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think the waiver stuff is wide of the mark. If you retired pre-usada you are exempt from the new rules if you decide to come back. Announcing it 1 month out though so he can piss clean is suspect.

If the UFC could grant person by person exemptions, that is a rocky road to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's a he's not a full time fighter hopping onto a massive card after what 5 years?

Also he has shown that if someone hits him he gives up.

Also everyone ****ing loves Hunt and rightly so

Haters gonna hate.

He's the biggest star the UFC has ever had.

Ask Shane Carwin did he give up.

f2fab6d2b808e2c3e4b91eae83341d68.jpg?itok=HfubcHx6

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate.

He's the biggest star the UFC has ever had.

Ask Shane Carwin did he give up.

f2fab6d2b808e2c3e4b91eae83341d68.jpg?itok=HfubcHx6

Don't think anyone disputes he is their biggest star,considering his WWE status and all,but being the biggest star doesn't make you the best fighter.

In reality Brock had quit and turtled in that Carwin fight and it shoulda been stopped,i thought he had definitely given up its just the ref didn't save him and Carwin lay down and died at the start of round 2 coz he was tired from punching Brock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement