Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The ref didn't save him because he didn't need to.

He gave repeated instructions to move or defend himself and on each instruction, Brock responded enough to show that he was intelligently defending himself. If he had quit and wanted out, he just had to turtle up as you described and the fight would have been over.

It was an excellent piece of refereeing from Rosenthal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Lesnar was the reason I started watching MMA in the first place, I didn't know much about it before hand. I'm glad to see him back, I'm expecting a tough fight but hope he gets the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The ref didn't save him because he didn't need to.

He gave repeated instructions to move or defend himself and on each instruction, Brock responded enough to show that he was intelligently defending himself. If he had quit and wanted out, he just had to turtle up as you described and the fight would have been over.

It was an excellent piece of refereeing from Rosenthal.

To be honest i somewhat agree with you that if the fighter does manage to recover and win the fight then no matter how bad it might have looked its probably a good call.

But was it this fight or maybe it was the Cain fight i forget which one,but Dana admitted at the time or shortly afterwards,he heard Brock whimpering and saying "stop "or something along them lines when he was getting pounded on,i forget which fight it was though,its a few years now but Dana definitely admitted to hearing Brock whimpering and saying "stop" or something similiar to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

newbbieb wrote: »
    To be honest i somewhat agree with you that if the fighter does manage to recover and win the fight then no matter how bad it might have looked its probably a good call.

But was it this fight or maybe it was the Cain fight i forget which one,but Dana admitted at the time or shortly afterwards,he heard Brock whimpering and saying "stop "or something along them lines when he was getting pounded on,i forget which fight it was though,its a few years now but Dana definitely admitted to hearing Brock whimpering and saying "stop" or something similiar to that.

If Dana said it its almost certainly a lie. If he could hear it from several feel away the ref hovering over it would have heard it too and that amounts to a verbal tap and would have been treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

If Dana said it its almost certainly a lie. If he could hear it from several feel away the ref hovering over it would have heard it too and that amounts to a verbal tap and would have been treated as such.

Yep good old dana is shall we say economical with facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

That's a stretch in fairness. I wouldn't call it a clear admission.

Why didnt he signal his intention to usada whne he inserted a ufx clause in his wwe contract or when he began negotiations with ifc to return.

He only goes into the testing pool from Saturday I presume. Plenty of time to get clean.

Cant wait for sonnen to come back with no testing.

Makes a mockery of usada. Like keeping belfort in Brazil when he looked like the hulk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Why didnt he signal his intention to usada whne he inserted a ufx clause in his wwe contract or when he began negotiations with ifc to return.

He only goes into the testing pool from Saturday I presume. Plenty of time to get clean.

Cant wait for sonnen to come back with no testing.

Makes a mockery of usada. Like keeping belfort in Brazil when he looked like the hulk

that clause wasnt really in his contract, the wwe okayed the fight, no doubt brock has taken steroids in the past, look at him, but the reason hes exempt from the 4 month period is the names of athletes in the usada testing pool go onto a public list that anyone can see, it was to keep it quiet its not a huge illuminati conspiracy to get steroids back in the ufc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Some journalist tweeted that big news is imminent for UKMMA. Don't think it'll be a Bisping fight. I'd imagine they'll feed him too Weidman at MSG hoping Weidman creates a great moment at the first UFC in MSG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Some journalist tweeted that big news is imminent for UKMMA. Don't think it'll be a Bisping fight. I'd imagine they'll feed him too Weidman at MSG hoping Weidman creates a great moment at the first UFC in MSG

Weidman lost his shot for sure, Jacare or Rockhold should get Bisping before he does.

Belfast show hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Weidman lost his shot for sure, Jacare or Rockhold should get Bisping before he does.

Belfast show hopefully

MSG will have Jones vs whoever, Conor vs Frankie and Wiedman vs Bisping.

You heard it here first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fromvert wrote: »
    It's not a rule here as they get $$$ from it and it is a rule when they can use it as a power play (when they threatened Conor with it when he said he was retired).
    The obligation is on USADA, not the UFC. All contracted fighters are in the testing pool. This is entirely normal.
    Usada should have tested him the day it was announced. Be interesting to see when they do.
    I imagine they'll get him pretty quickly.
    Paully D wrote: »
    I don't hate him at all, I think it's cool that he's coming back, but I'm more of a fan of Hunt and I don't like the way that Lesnar is being given the special exemption from USADA by the UFC by them using a sneaky loophole.
    It's not really . He didn't retire during the usada era, so it doesn't apply. He is treated as a new signing. So his exemption isn't remotely special. I'd guess that at maybe 10 fighters have gotten the same exemption since USADA came in last year.
    If you were Brock, assuming you are currently clean, would you put yourself into the testing pool early. So USADA can call you up any time to test you. Having to let them know your whereabout, etc. I'd say its a massive pain in the hole, and I don't think not volunteering early is an admission of guilt tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I definitely don't think Rockhold deserves a rematch anyway.

Weidman didn't deserve a rematch either and certainly shouldn't get Bisping now.

Jacare deserves the shot but that's not the money fight so one of the above will almost certainly get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Depp wrote: »
    that clause wasnt really in his contract, the wwe okayed the fight, no doubt brock has taken steroids in the past, look at him, but the reason hes exempt from the 4 month period is the names of athletes in the usada testing pool go onto a public list that anyone can see, it was to keep it quiet its not a huge illuminati conspiracy to get steroids back in the ufc

It allows him the opportunity to take as many steroids as he wants up to where he knows the news is going to be outand he has to be clean. I never said illuninati but not wanting to be on a public list is bs.

Why have usada if the ufc can override them a whim or for secrecy. Usada should be providing transparency

It allows him the opportunity to take as many steroids as he wants up to where he knows the news is going to be outand he has to be clean. I never said illuninati but not wanting to be on a public list is bs.
    He's been out of the UFC for years. If he's been on the juice for the last 4 years, a few month at this stage won't matter
    Why have usada if the ufc can override them a whim or for secrecy. Usada should be providing transparency
    The UFC didn't over ride USADA. The retirement rule doesn't apply here. Other fighters go into the pool only once they book a fight. Brock was treated no different to everyone else.
    Nobody cared for the other fighters, but because it's Brock it's suddenly an outrage.
    It's also because Brick has been on the juice in the past too, obviously.

Belfast show hopefully

Why should Rockhold get it before Weidman? Weidman had 3 title defenses and Rockhold had none, I know he beat him but Weidman earned it over him imo. As for Jacare, he lost to Romero. Whether or not the decision was right, he still lost.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Why should Rockhold get it before Weidman? Weidman had 3 title defenses and Rockhold had none, I know he beat him but Weidman earned it over him imo. As for Jacare, he lost to Romero. Whether or not the decision was right, he still lost.

weidman is definitey ahead in the pecking ordeer or at least he should be, could arguably have beat rockhold were it not for one mistake, rockhold came out like an ass and got dealt with quickly, he wants another title shot he should have to earn it! think it should be weidman-bisping on 205 and jacare-rockhold either on the undercard or elsewhere as a no.1 contender fight

weidman is definitey ahead in the pecking ordeer or at least he should be, could arguably have beat rockhold were it not for one mistake, rockhold came out like an ass and got dealt with quickly, he wants another title shot he should have to earn it! think it should be weidman-bisping on 205 and jacare-rockhold either on the undercard or elsewhere as a no.1 contender fight

Yeah but with the history between them Bisping/Rockhold is the money fight without doubt.

newbbieb wrote: »
    Yeah but with the history between them Bisping/Rockhold is the money fight without doubt.

yeah its a big selling point, but Id imagine chris and bisping could talk up a good game! plus being weidmans ''homecoming'' event in msg itd make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

yeah its a big selling point, but Id imagine chris and bisping could talk up a good game! plus being weidmans ''homecoming'' event in msg itd make sense

What makes most sense is let Rockhold and Weidman fight at 205 for a shot at the title. Let Bisping fight Jacare in the UK.

USADA tested Lesnar today apparently

https://twitter.com/KevinI/status/740691886080331776

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

jimmii wrote: »
    Sounds like Northcotts Dad doesn't like him getting hit too much be pretty awkward trying to sack your dad!

https://m.facebook.com/danhangmanhooker/posts/1005883752841157:0

A bit bizarre/ attention seeking/ waňkery for 'the hangman' and the sparring partner to come out and hammer the Dad publically like that (whether the accusations carry weight or not). I'm sure Sage doesnt apprecitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fromvert wrote: »
    It is a joke and gives them the ridiculous options of not being rule and being a rule when they benefit from it.

It's not a rule here as they get $$$ from it and it is a rule when they can use it as a power play (when they threatened Conor with it when he said he was retired).

Look - I gave you two thanks.

Rockhold/Jacare would make an excellent main event for a Fight Night card in Brazil, or maybe even a UFC on Fox show.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    A bit bizarre/ attention seeking/ waňkery for 'the hangman' and the sparring partner to come out and hammer the Dad publically like that (whether the accusations carry weight or not). I'm sure Sage doesnt apprecitate it.
    They contact him, and came to his gym to spar with him as he's a Muay Thai world champ. He's not some random sparring partner trying to get his name out there. If the Dad came to his gym and acted like that, he he deserves to be called out on it.

At the same time, there's two sides to every story. And the Dad's version of events is very different. He did say;
    "that guy couldn’t teach Sage anything and he moved around like a robot with his feet in quicksand"

J Mysterio wrote:

It's sounds legit though, there have been rumblings about his dad's influence on a him before.

If true it's a shame that his ego is effecting his son. Sage may get alot of heat but he is a decent fighter and really young too I mean at that age how do you tell your dad to **** off. Damn shame really.

On side note was he not supposed to be going to Tristar?

jcd5971 wrote: »
    It's sounds legit though, there have been rumblings about his dad's influence on a him before.

If true it's a shame that his ego is effecting his son. Sage may get alot of heat but he is a decent fighter and really young too I mean at that age how do you tell your dad to **** off. Damn shame really.

On side note was he not supposed to be going to Tristar?

He was tired during sparring, so, you guessed it, his father decided it was best to pull him from there as he was not used to the high pace of Tristar training.

It's a good thing the UFC haven't given him anyone good yet. Any Top 15 ranked fighter would breeze through him imo.

TimRiggins wrote:
    He was tired during sparring, so, you guessed it, his father decided it was best to pull him from there as he was not used to the high pace of Tristar training.

Man that makes me sad. It actually does

Sage needs work and I think in his heart he knows it hence Tristar. But at his age how to you tell dad get lost.

Can't help the guy mentally either that's tough.

My big worry is dana being the fickle bastard he is could throw a good fighter at him, knowing he'll lose to big up the other guy off what hype sage has left.

My big worry is dana being the fickle bastard he is could throw a good fighter at him, knowing he'll lose to big up the other guy off what hype sage has left.
    Sage's hype is worth $$$ to the UFC. Crushing is not.
    He lost his last fight, Barbarena isn't exactly a household name off the back of it.

Mellor wrote:
    Sage's hype is worth $$$ to the UFC. Crushing is not. He lost his last fight, Barbarena isn't exactly a household name off the back of it.

True, but I'm saying if the decide to use sages name to boost someone else if you know what I mean. It's a common enough thing in pro wrestling apparently.

And UFC promotional is going that way more and more

• Advertisement

True, but I'm saying if the decide to use sages name to boost someone else if you know what I mean. It's a common enough thing in pro wrestling apparently.

And UFC promotional is going that way more and more

What Mellor is saying is that beating him doesn't boost anyone,it didn't boost Barbarena much and with a loss already there is little to no credibility for anyone who beats him right now,so it would be pointless the UFC taking that road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement