Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TimRiggins wrote: »
    He was tired during sparring, so, you guessed it, his father decided it was best to pull him from there as he was not used to the high pace of Tristar training.

It's a good thing the UFC haven't given him anyone good yet. Any Top 15 ranked fighter would breeze through him imo.

He wasn't training at Tristar I don't think, he was sparring Ilya at a Muay Thai gym. There is a video of the session here, and it looks nothing out of the ordinary, both guys seem to be keeping a fairly casual pace:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    He wasn't training at Tristar I don't think,
    I think he was referring to when his dad pulled him out of Tristar because he felt the training was too high an intensity.

Firas even expressed concerns about Safe and his Dad prior to them arriving at Tristar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

He wasn't training at Tristar I don't think, he was sparring Ilya at a Muay Thai gym. There is a video of the session here, and it looks nothing out of the ordinary, both guys seem to be keeping a fairly casual pace:

You'd hope that wasn't the session that was the problem! First two rounds he lets him go a little harder then in the third he just ups it to the same level really. Doesn't really look much more than touch sparring even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Jaysus, no wonder Jose hates McGregor.

Hadn't heard about this, apologies if already posted, but they made a movie about Aldo's life and they had to delay the release after he lost :p

(I know I shouldn't laugh but I can't abide the chap).

What makes it worse is that it's called "Stronger Than The World". Unbeaten in over ten years. 18 wins in a row. Smack in head out cold.

Anyway, it's just been released in Brazil. I don't blame them. Cause Edgar's gonna beat him too.

Ah in fairness, it looks pretty good. Knew where he came from but looks like he had a tough upbringing also.

Film covers his life up until UFC 129.

Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

This was before the Barberena fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

This is why I love Robbie Lawlor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

johnybean wrote: »
    This is why I love Robbie Lawlor

Pretty hypocritical of him to call Conor a quitter i watched him quit plenty of times.But i guess his memory probably isn't his strongest asset.

where did he call Conor a quitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Robbie is literally a legend of the sport, probably my favourite fighter. Conor should steer well clear of him and the WW Division.

where did he call Conor a quitter?

Probably not in that video is it?if you watch the full video he called him a quitter or something along them lines.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I think Woodley is going to run from him and try rob a points win,I pray he gets into a brawl with him and gets up ended but hes too smart for that.

Gamebred wrote: »
    I think Woodley is going to run from him and try rob a points win,I pray he gets into a brawl with him and gets up ended but hes too smart for that.

Can't see how Woodley wins that fight,i mean robbing a points win seems unlikely surely his only avenue to a win is to get Robbie down and when that fails he is in trouble.

Yeah hes gonna try hump Robbie alright,he struggled to beat a sick Gastelum so I dont fancy him here,I think Lawler is the most suspect to be on them mexican supplements in the ufc,his improvements at that age arent right hes stronger and fitter than he was when younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

newbbieb wrote: »
    Probably not in that video is it?if you watch the full video he called him a quitter or something along them lines.

You shouldn't pay too.much attention to interviews like this, the interviewer is constantly probing with leading questions looking for sound bites.

JJayoo wrote: »
    You shouldn't pay too.much attention to interviews like this, the interviewer is constantly probing with leading questions looking for sound bites.

I am not paying too much attention to it i don't care what he says,i was just saying its hypocritical to call Conor a quitter when he done it plenty himself.

If he is after that fight himself then i guess its all just promotion,and to me it sounded almost like he was trying to build hype for the Conor fight,because if Conor does the unthinkable and smashes Nate at 170,you know that fight is gonna be back on his Radar even though i agree Robbie sleeps Conor handily.

JJayoo wrote: »

100% this

Robbie is probably mentally toughest fighter in the world. So much respect for him after 189.
    I'd expect that now Conor has fought in WW we won't get a true opinion. When Conor was riding through 145 a lot of the heavier guys where full of praise, not so much now

I am not paying too much attention to it i don't care what he says,i was just saying its hypocritical to call Conor a quitter when he done it plenty himself.

If he is after that fight himself then i guess its all just promotion,and to me it sounded almost like he was trying to build hype for the Conor fight,because if Conor does the unthinkable and smashes Nate at 170,you know that fight is gonna be back on his Radar even though i agree Robbie sleeps Conor handily.

I'm sorry, but you cannot say that Robbie has quit plenty of times himself. Last sub loss was to Jacare and he fought the RNC as best he could against, arguably, one of the best BJJ guys in MMA. He has 5 sub losses including the one i mentioned in a 35 fight career and after the absolute war that was UFC 189 you definitely cannot call him a quitter.

I dont want to get into a tit for tat and want to clarify that I didnt post the viseo as a Conor hater, I'm a huge fan, just thought that it was funny the way Robbie said that he would take Conor's soul.

ILast sub loss was to Jacare and he fought the RNC as best he could against, arguably, one of the best BJJ guys in MMA. He has 5 sub losses including the one i mentioned in a 35 fight career and after the absolute war that was UFC 189 you definitely cannot call him a quitter.

If you are caught, you and caught. Bo shame in tapping. Being a quitter has nothing to do with tapping to a submission, if anyone thing to lawlor quits needs to watch 189 again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

100% it was. That whole 'soul' thing sounded rehearsed to me. A line he very much had prepared to say.

Would say also that that is why the UFC tweeted the clip as they would know that he wants the fight and sure why wouldn't he.

Personally I would say Conor has one more 145 fight left in him and no more. It destroys him too much.

Not saying he'd beat Lawler but 155 is for sure where I'd say he belongs and intends to fight. If that is he doesn't just disappear with all his cheese to fight novelty fights such as light middleweight against Mayweather or whatever which is likely I think in 2017 given the amount of money on offer. I do think he'd have to beat Diaz and Edgar though to retain the public's interest in him for that to materialize.

CkmIXvjXIAEfdGn.jpg

I wanted him to retire but **** it WAR HENDO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is that official gamebred? Haven't seen a word about it on the main sites.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Is that official gamebred? Haven't seen a word about it on the main sites.

Yeah announced on sportscentre earlier.

joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I don't want to come across as an as*hole but does every thread on here have to end up about McGregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I don't want to come across as an as*hole but does every thread on here have to end up about McGregor?

Hes an Irish mma fighter and this is an Irish mma forum so its not exactly a stretch to assume he'll come up...

Depp wrote:
    Hes an Irish mma fighter and this is an Irish mma forum so its not exactly a stretch to assume he'll come up...

At the moment he's the main topic in UFC200 thread, UFC203 thread, General News thread and obviously the McGregor thread. Maybe I'm the only one sick of hearing about him. And I'm a fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »
    CkmIXvjXIAEfdGn.jpg

I wanted him to retire but **** it WAR HENDO.

Jesus christ, 45 year old 13th ranked with 3 wins in his last 10 fights gets a title shot?

Bisping really wants to have one defence before losing belt, doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sure that Bisping Hendo fight is confirmed? Pretty sure it was Rogan who posted that yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

At the moment he's the main topic in UFC200 thread, UFC203 thread, General News thread and obviously the McGregor thread. Maybe I'm the only one sick of hearing about him. And I'm a fan!

I'm more sick of the groundhog day like subjects that people are still dragging up and argueing about. They're worse than a bunch of nordie politicians!

Would love to see Bisping v Hendo again. Can't justify it but who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Henderson getting a title shot would be completely ridiculous but I would love to see it happen as Bisping will ruin him. It would be awesome to see him get revenge on that cheating bastard.

I'd be very surprised if it happens however.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement