Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Is it just me that really couldn't give a **** about this upcoming Fedor fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Paully D wrote: »
    Is it just me that really couldn't give a **** about this upcoming Fedor fight?

Same zero interest

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's gas how much UFC are pushing it on Twitter and YouTube, really milking it but no one gives a **** at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,394 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Davei141 wrote: »
    Tim Means six months tainted supplement. Yoel Romero six months tainted supplement. BJ Penn also had a period where he was hanged briefly till we find out it was a stupid IV ban. Lyoto Machida got banned for admitting to taking some useless supplement. You could call all that cheating if you want but I disagree. I think it is a bit of a far cry from the "they were juiced to the bloody gills on roids" which is what this is supposed to catch out, not people taking poor quality supplements or having an IV out of competition.

Machida was intentionally taking a banned substance. If it's useless why take it?
    BJ used an IV, everyone knows they are banned, BJ pretended he didn't. Whether you agree or not they are banned.
    I'm not sure if I buy tainted supplement line. If somebody was juicing, it would be very easy for them to taint the supplement themselves after they are caught. Instant-excuse.

I don't think it fair to assume Mendes was caught for steroids though, it could of been anything. Look at Tibeau, he was caught and everyone went on how it was obvious with his muscles. Then they announced it was EPO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Mellor wrote: »
    Machida was intentionally taking a banned substance. If it's useless why take it?
    BJ used an IV, everyone knows they are banned, BJ pretended he didn't. Whether you agree or not they are banned.
    I'm not sure if I buy tainted supplement line. If somebody was juicing, it would be very easy for them to taint the supplement themselves after they are caught. Instant-excuse.

I don't think it fair to assume Mendes was caught for steroids though, it could of been anything. Look at Tibeau, he was caught and everyone went on how it was obvious with his muscles. Then they announced it was EPO

Is the tainted supplement not traceable back to the batch it was a part of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It is.

It could be, in Romero's case I think USADA went to the shop and picked up a new product for testing.
    In Means case, I believe he brought them a tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

It could be, in Romero's case I think USADA went to the shop and picked up a new product for testing.
    In Means case, I believe he brought them a tub.

So tainted supplement should be taken into consideration. If a kegal supplement is tainted shoukd they get any punishment?

So tainted supplement should be taken into consideration. If a kegal supplement is tainted shoukd they get any punishment?
    If the supplement was genuinely tainted, and the contents were completely different to the label, then they should get leniency imo. But they have to be 100% sure that's the case.

They would also consider the supplement and banned substance. It's one thing if a whey protein was tainted with growth hormone. But very different if a supp was supposed to contain a new developed and not yet WADA listed growth factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

HUGE NEWS.........if we still in 2010 :D

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/742451502766166016

• Advertisement

Mark Hunt is just the best no? Thought he came off so well on latest MMA Hour interview - he didn't really say much but seems like such a sound "Seen it all, done it all, know who I am" kind of guy.
    Halfway through his "auto"biography at the moment so probably slightly biased, but jaysus… Just an unbelievable story... #FanForLive

Oh and yeah I didn't miss the UFC Forever thing, his comment re Conor should have done his promotion work it's part of the gig thing etc etc from him but whilst I disagree, meh, for Mark I let it slide… (for no good reason apart from thinking he's the Man)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Someone needs to get rampage a tv show or something...hilarious on the mma hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Depp wrote: »
    Someone needs to get rampage a tv show or something...hilarious on the mma hour!

He's always good craic alright! TUF with him and Evans got pretty crazy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Good interview with Rampage alright, you never know which way he is gonna go.

Cruz really should drop the faber being a manager bit also, surely he has a manager he gives a % too also.

Good read in this article about Ais and her recent lack of activity

Hopefelly she gets her wish and gets a fight in Hamburg

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/a-lengthy-spell-of-inactivity-was-not-aisling-dalys-choice?utm_source=fightlandtwitterus

Devastator wrote: »
    Good read in this article about Ais and her recent lack of activity

Hopefelly she gets her wish and gets a fight in Hamburg

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/a-lengthy-spell-of-inactivity-was-not-aisling-dalys-choice?utm_source=fightlandtwitterus
    She needs to start a spat with one of the other 115ers, that's looks to be the only way to get booked in that division. :D:D;)

Joking aside, she should also choose her next opponent carefully. It's a shallow division and mis-matches are unavoidable. I wouldn't want to see her face Tecia, Rose, paige, etc at this stage. She could send Angela Magana packing though.

Also, looking at a possible 125lbs division is a bad move. sure she's a bigger strawweight, but not 10lbs bigger. She'd be better off focusing on getting stronger and leaner for an easier cut to 115lbs. If a flyweight division materializes it will be made up of currently undersized batamweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

If this Ali Act passes into MMA, these Chinese lads are getting screwed. This act has the potential to destroy the UFC as the dominant promotion, could very well level the playing field, but not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What is the 'Ali Act'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

martyos121 wrote: »
    If this Ali Act passes into MMA, these Chinese lads are getting screwed. This act has the potential to destroy the UFC as the dominant promotion, could very well level the playing field, but not in a good way.

Unless other organisations step up there production the ufc still won't be touched for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ASOT wrote: »
    Unless other organisations step up there production the ufc still won't be touched for a while.

If the world titles are controlled by an independent body which will happen if the act passes, then it won't take long to feel the effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just read an article on it there, fail to see how it could 'destroy the UFC'. Seems like progress to me, giving some protection to fighters. Its been endorsed by Militich and Couture.

The danger is that the UFC doesn't hold the title, the fighter and his agent do. Meaning to that they defend it where ever they want, on whatever card lines their picket the most. The UFC, Belator, WSOF could cease to existing the current form.
    Sure the champions would clean up. Taking in millions. But the fight night cards, under cards fights, who is gonna put them on?

not a fan of the independant body controlling titles bit, look at the state that has boxing in!

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/06/with-ali-act-a-long-battle-for-mmas-future-is-just-beginning

good article on it

The Ali act doesn't work in boxing and it's even worse for MMA. I'm all for fighters rights, they should have a union, but that certain piece of legislation could hurt the sport.

Lukker- wrote: »
    The Ali act doesn't work in boxing and it's even worse for MMA. I'm all for fighters rights, they should have a union, but that certain piece of legislation could hurt the sport.

yeah exactly, its a novel idea but its just executed terribly

martyos121 wrote: »

I don't think it will, not in its current state anyway. Its ignorant to think something which is used in boxing(with split opinions on whether it even works there) will work for MMA....just because its another combat sport. IMO the reason UFC has became so successful is because in general we see the best fighting the best. Whereas in boxing they can jump between promoters, managers,etc and hold onto belts by avoiding potentially bad fights.

I think it would ruin the sport as we know it IF it did come in, in anything like its current form. I think a lot of us(me anyway) prefer MMA/UFC over boxing nowadays because there are so many lopsided farcial fights in boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The danger is that the UFC doesn't hold the title, the fighter and his agent do. Meaning to that they defend it where ever they want, on whatever card lines their picket the most. The UFC, Belator, WSOF could cease to existing the current form.
    Sure the champions would clean up. Taking in millions. But the fight night cards, under cards fights, who is gonna put them on?

If MMA can avoid setting up 567890987654567890* different sanctioning bodies and just keep it in one "world mma organisation" or something similar then the problems of boxing won't apply and fighters can't pick and choose who they fight, there would be mandatory defences of their belts, which does happen in boxing but when someone has several belts this is meaningless as they can just drop the one with the mandatory like Fury and Canelo have recently.

Moving to a system under the Ali Act would be massively better for fighters and fans.

There'd be no more of this bull**** of 10 years of "is Fedor signing" or people worrying about getting cut from promotions, you'd be where you are on merit and nothing else.

Conor wants to fight Diaz? They just do it, a body sanctions it, the purse is set and people bid for the right to promote it, instead of Goldenboy, Bob Arum or Frank Warren it would be UFC, Bellator and ONE FC bidding to promote fights.

Instead of the likes of Rory**, Meathead, Askern, Shields etc leaving the UFC to get better pay fighting inferior fighters in other promotions they could just earn title fights by beating ranked people as they wouldn't need to be signed to specific promotions to fight certain fighters.

*slight hyperbole

**potentially after his fight on saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's an interesting topic bit I think it would do more harm than good.

I'm all for the fighters getting a lot more money but aside from that I'm pretty happy with the way things are run at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement