Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Olivera v Pettis on Fox 21 card, tough fight to welcome Pettis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

No danger of getting wrestle ****ed id fancy him to beat olivera quiet easily.

Gamebred wrote: »
    No danger of getting wrestle ****ed id fancy him to beat olivera quiet easily.

Depends how he handles the cut and still adapting to being off the vitamins.

Yeah true,hard to believe hes 0-3 lately when he subbed Gil I couldnt believe it,all down hill since,Holloway is in a **** spot now in that division hes won about 9 or 10 in a row and still waiting for a fight not the type to sit out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Devastator wrote: »
    Good read in this article about Ais and her recent lack of activity

Hopefelly she gets her wish and gets a fight in Hamburg

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/a-lengthy-spell-of-inactivity-was-not-aisling-dalys-choice?utm_source=fightlandtwitterus

That card could really do with some Irish representation on it. I'm going over but the card is very poor at the moment. If there was an Irish fighter on it, it would make it a whole lot better from my point of view.

• Advertisement

Yeah true,hard to believe hes 0-3 lately when he subbed Gil I couldnt believe it,all down hill since,Holloway is in a **** spot now in that division hes won about 9 or 10 in a row and still waiting for a fight not the type to sit out either.

Yeah i remember i called the sub on gil, Still cant believe hes 0-3 myself. Max is a gent i hope he gets his deserved shot him v McGregor 2 would be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

Will Brooks vs Pearson added to the TUF Finale on July 8th

xtal191 wrote: »

Love Brooks hope he does very well, even if he is a bit of an idiot on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

delighted with himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Paully D wrote: »
    That card could really do with some Irish representation on it. I'm going over but the card is very poor at the moment. If there was an Irish fighter on it, it would make it a whole lot better from my point of view.

Yeah I know what you mean, Seery being on the Rotterdam card made the event a bit more special being there...even though I near collasped trying to get there on time with the heat and stress of not knowing where I was going. Luckily I had something to help me relax a bit :P

Get on twitter and pester Sean Selby to get Ais on the card. There are still rumours of Gus getting a fight on it too. Still plenty of time so I'm sure it will improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,394 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor wants to fight Diaz? They just do it, a body sanctions it, the purse is set and people bid for the right to promote it, instead of Goldenboy, Bob Arum or Frank Warren it would be UFC, Bellator and ONE FC bidding to promote fights.

As I said, It would be fine for Conor v Diaz and other big title shots. The promoters would be lining up to take a slice of that action. But those fights are >5% of top level MMA fights.

Will Brooks v Ross pearson, maybe that features, but probably not.

Ais Daly, no chance she gets a televised fight anymore. (I'm just picking people who were named recently).
    The massive difference between boxing and MMA is the fact that MMA has a proper undercard structure and pay, boxing doesn't.

At the moment we have 40-50 cards of 10-13 MMA fights per year. I can watch most of them on Fox Sport or Fight Pass and the PPV (aka the pub).
    Boxing has way more fights than that a year, but I've no clue where to watch them. I'm not sure that will be the case if it goes independent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mellor wrote:
    At the moment we have 40-50 cards of 10-13 MMA fights per year. I can watch most of them on Fox Sport or Fight Pass and the PPV (aka the pub). Boxing has way more fights than that a year, but I've no clue where to watch them. I'm not sure that will be the case if it goes independent

I agree with this, I was a boxing fan for years but moved to mma due to 1 the amount if ****ery in boxing and 2 never exactly sure where to watch fights and then ending up paying 30 quid to watch a fight with maybe 2 or 3 crap undercard fights.

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/743422912741285888

No way they will sell up before ufc 200 and 202 where it will rain money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/743422912741285888

No way they will sell up before ufc 200 and 202 where it will rain money.

It's about to rain money anyways, the UFC only profits a few hundred million a year, they are about to make 4 Billion on a company they bought for $2m.

The handover will probably take a few months though. Looks like Dana and Joe are definitely leaving so.

Pretty happy if Dana goes along with his ego and the ferttita brothers good riddance to them they say better the devil you know but I'd be hopeful they put some good new faces to front the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Have to say, exciting times. Usually I don't like change but I'm very interested to see what happens here.

Also, here's a bit of Thursdsay randomness

https://twitter.com/scast322/status/743401958619385856

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

4 billion is a tasty figure and Dana owns 9% of the UFC.

JJayoo wrote: »
    4 billion is a tasty figure and Dana owns 9% of the UFC.

Comes to $360m for baldy, not bad.

Fertittas cleaning up with 81% ownership

I'd be a little nervous/cautious about the sale. Dana and the Fertitta's are far from perfect, but at least you know what you're going to get from them by now. I suppose it's just fear of the unknown at the moment, but although things could get much better, they could get much worse too.

I'd be a little nervous/cautious about the sale. Dana and the Fertitta's are far from perfect, but at least you know what you're going to get from them by now. I suppose it's just fear of the unknown at the moment, but although things could get much better, they could get much worse too.

Yeah I agree. Just looking back at how far the sport has come since they took over UFC is ridiculous and they deserve a lot of credit for that imo. Without them MMA may not be anywhere near as popular as it is now. Some of us probably wouldn't even know MMA existed if it wasn't for what they've done with the UFC. Granted they can be dciks when they want to....but show me a business man that isn't.

What is up with the Chinese buying or attempting to takeover so much at present? Apparently some firm is trying to buy Liverpool for £700m, same firm have pumped a fortune into loads of other businesses already in the UK(theme parks, power stations,more)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Devastator wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. Just looking back at how far the sport has come since they took over UFC is ridiculous and they deserve a lot of credit for that imo. Without them MMA may not be anywhere near as popular as it is now. Some of us probably wouldn't even know MMA existed if it wasn't for what they've done with the UFC. Granted they can be dciks when they want to....but show me a business man that isn't.

What is up with the Chinese buying or attempting to takeover so much at present? Apparently some firm is trying to buy Liverpool for £700m, same firm have pumped a fortune into loads of other businesses already in the UK(theme parks, power stations,more)

The Chinese Markets are extremely unstable so people who have money in China are trying to dump it in Europe or Australia where it's safe. Hoovering up property in London and Sydney, buying large businesses, buying football clubs, whatever they can do to get the cash out of China and somewhere safer.

Chinese company just bought Inter Milan and another one are about to buy 70% of A.C. Milan and dump a few hundred million into transfers because even wasting it on a football club is a better option than letting it die when the Chinese economy crashes in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ah they finally did an upgrade on Fight Pass

Ah they finally did an upgrade on Fight Pass

The option to favourite fights and have all favourited fights in one location is a great addition.

The way they've been pushing it over the last 6 months, the new update etc. How long before the price increase?

The option to favourite fights and have all favourited fights in one location is a great addition.

The way they've been pushing it over the last 6 months, the new update etc. How long before the price increase?

I wouldn't imagine they will IMO, it may be my hopefulness clouding my opinion through.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I reckon they'll try and sneak it in either on the day of or just after the RDA vs Alvarez card, given that it's such a big draw for the service (that's when I plan on subscribing, never felt the need until now because I have BT).

The Chinese Markets are extremely unstable so people who have money in China are trying to dump it in Europe or Australia where it's safe. Hoovering up property in London and Sydney, buying large businesses, buying football clubs, whatever they can do to get the cash out of China and somewhere safer.

Chinese company just bought Inter Milan and another one are about to buy 70% of A.C. Milan and dump a few hundred million into transfers because even wasting it on a football club is a better option than letting it die when the Chinese economy crashes in the next year or two.

I didn't know they were so unstable, should be obvious really, any time I have a chinese my guts are unstable for the next 2 days!

Seriously though, Europe's economy is safer? :eek: I dont really keep up with current affairs but been watching a bit about the EU referendum next week and 1 side basically keep screaming "EUROPE'S FCUKED! THEIR ECONOMY IS FCUKED! WE'RE ALL FCUKED!" and after recessions and stuff a few years ago I thought everything was still pretty unstable everywhere. The group apparently wanting Liverpool claim to have invested £5.2 bn into UK businesses already

The European market is just about the most stable on the planet. It's the safest place to park money at the moment. That's why hedge funds, Russia oligarchs and Chinese investment groups are buying half of property in Dublin, London, Berlin and every other advanced economy in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The European market is just about the most stable on the planet. It's the safest place to park money at the moment. That's why hedge funds, Russia oligarchs and Chinese investment groups are buying half of property in Dublin, London, Berlin and every other advanced economy in Europe

Safer in comparison to China. If China's economy crashes it will most likely cause another global recession.

Anyways, it looks to be a joint ownership with a few companies in partnership. WME-IMG, which is led by Ari Emnauel who Ari from Entourage was based on. In partnership with IMG who are Chinese investors. Robert Kraft would be a minority stakeholder, they also own New Egland Patriots NFL team. The final was Tencent Holdings who own Riot Games the people who make League of Legends video game. They are noted to take a backseat approach when dealing with dealing with their holdings.

^This

And its actually soul destroying watching the chinese bidders wipe everyone out at auction without even seeing the place. It's driven the market up a crazy amount.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Safer in comparison to China. If China's economy crashes it will most likely cause another global recession.

Safer in comparison to anywhere, especially the single currency zone.
    And China crashing doesn't really effect Europe too badly because we don't do *that* much outward trade with them, besides luxury brands.

It's a disaster in the making for Australia though.The mining industry there is already on it's knees. China's economy going completely sideways will be the death blow as ore exports will dry up completely.
    Chinese investors in Aussie property will then try to offload their holdings to give them more access to capital, which will flood the market and cause the current Aussie property bubble to finally pop, which would be horrible for the Aussies but it's been coming a while now and the government and central bank there have done bog all to protect their economy from reliance on Chinese inward investment and mining exports.

The Chinese markets already crashed last year and Europe was largely unaffected, but that's just the start of their problems and it's not something their government seems interested in or is capable of avoiding, the new billionaires are making money and the party bods are being looked after so as far as they are concerned the plebs can take the brunt of the pain in the event of a total economic collapse.

On the plus side for anyone outside China, importing goods from China will be come extremely reasonable, even lower priced electronics, hurrah*.

*not really hurrah, it'll be messy for the locals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement