Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's possible to lose 10+lbs through diet, he's not some bodybuilding weirdo with sub 10% bodyfat, there's plenty he can do to lose weight before a cut over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,400 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's possible to lose 10+lbs through diet,
    I said it was possible
    Mellor wrote: »
    Physically, he could get down to that weight for sure.
    He could make bantamweight with diet, eventually. Im only talking about right now.
    He's talked about coming back to fight at MW title, also talked about LW. It's one or the other, not both. Right now, he's WW sized. Given him say 5 months (NYC card) he could fight for the LW, WW or MW titles.

And I could seen him winning any of them. But I'm much rather he comes back sooner. 202 co-main v Nick Diaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

he could fight for the LW, WW or MW titles.

Does he deserve an immediate title fight though? He'll probably get what he wants but I'm not sure its fair from the UFC to allow him a title fight. Yes, he never lost his title but neither did Dominic Cruz and he had to fight Mizugaki before fighting for his title again. Cruz was also very clear of his intentions through the whole time that he would comeback whereas GSP's never been clear and it probably went so long most of us presumed he had effectively retired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I dont think he wants to be champion again,I dont see them making the bisping fight for that reason either hes not long term plan to stick around as a champion,I think he wants a big money fight with someone like McGregor,not sure he wants anything to do with Robbie Lawler never hear him that about that fight also worth remembering he hardly left on his best performance ever.

Devastator wrote: »
    Does he deserve an immediate title fight though? He'll probably get what he wants but I'm not sure its fair from the UFC to allow him a title fight. Yes, he never lost his title but neither did Dominic Cruz and he had to fight Mizugaki before fighting for his title again. Cruz was also very clear of his intentions through the whole time that he would comeback whereas GSP's never been clear and it probably went so long most of us presumed he had effectively retired.
    He was a long time champion, never lost the belt, wasn't definite that he was coming back, but he never said he wasn't either.
    Honestly, I wouldn't have a massive issue if he got an immediate shot, in any division, as long as the title picture was reasonably clear at that point.

Cruz didn't have to fight Mizugaki. Dana said he'd could have an immediate shot if he wanted it, but Cruz opted for a tune-up fight instead.

• Advertisement

He was a long time champion, never lost the belt, wasn't definite that he was coming back, but he never said he wasn't either.
    Honestly, I wouldn't have a massive issue if he got an immediate shot, in any division, as long as the title picture was reasonably clear at that point.

Cruz didn't have to fight Mizugaki. Dana said he'd could have an immediate shot if he wanted it, but Cruz opted for a tune-up fight instead.

oh did he? Didn't know that, I thought it was UFC decision because they wanted to do the TJ/Barao rematch. I don't have a massive issue with it, it was more a thought to minor issue because my understanding of the Cruz situation.

Is anyone still interested in an Anderson superfight or has that ship sailed? I think with Silva getting beaten a couple of times it's lost its edge, plus testing positive puts another dampener on it. How about a BJ Penn rematch, 2 legends making their comebacks against eachother? Obviously it would massively depend on whats going on with BJ the his IV use but theres a good backstory ther with the greasing allegations from their previous fight on top of the comebacks itself. It might not be a big enough money fight but I'd be happy enough watching it as a co main to another big fight.

If it Anderson or BJ fights don't happen now we'll probably get them in about 10 years time in Bellator anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anderson doesn't deserve it after so many losses, although if anything would motivate him maybe a GSP fight would.

He would kill BJ, his best days are long long gone.

Bisping fight will happen I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Will Brooks interview on MMA hour was very good, he seems like a gent, hard upbringing. Hopefully he can do the biz in UFC.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anderson doesn't deserve it after so many losses, although if anything would motivate him maybe a GSP fight would.

He would kill BJ, his best days are long long gone.

Bisping fight will happen I reckon.

He dominated BJ the last time. I thought the whole greasing accusations were a joke and just sour grapes. Yeah the cornerman put his hands on his shoulders but the little vaseline that would have remained wouldn't have done much at all. Bisping seems to want revenge on Hendo. Manchester late October seems to be floating about quite a bit.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-200-nevada-commission-approves-early-weigh-ins-upcoming-events-062116

Looks like early weigh ins are going to be the norm for all events now. Its a good thing. I've not heard any fighter say anything negative about it out of the events which have run it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Zero-Cool wrote: »

That's good to see definitely well deserved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG7KJDpgqOd/?taken-by=coach_kavanagh

Nice bit of grappling from the Makwan and Nicolai at sbg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/22/11998400/ufc-michael-bisping-conor-mcgregor-neck-in-a-fight

Whats anyone think of this personally i don't mind whatever banter about Conors size etc,but there was no need for the British/Irish thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

newbbieb wrote: »
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/6/22/11998400/ufc-michael-bisping-conor-mcgregor-neck-in-a-fight

Whats anyone think of this personally i don't mind whatever banter about Conors size etc,but there was no need for the British/Irish thing.

Think you are making a big thing about nothing to he honest, he said he is prime british beef and and Conor is 4'2 implying hes small/ a leprachaun. Its hardly a big British/Irish thing like you suggest. If Conor said he was prime irish beef and bisping is a mouthy Brit would you be as bothered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Looks like Kayla Harrison could be following Rousey into the UFC after Rio 2016

Story HERE
    Mixed Martial Arts Or Judo?

After Rio, Harrison must make a big decision about her future. She’ll decide if she wants to leave judo for Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), just like her former roommate Ronda Rousey.

“I never say ‘never,’” Harrison said. “Judo is my first love. It’s my passion. But who doesn’t want to be famous? It takes a special kind of person, but I think that I could step in the cage and beat somebody up for a lot of money.”

Harrison said her agent has been in talks with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), but also with the International Judo Federation, which could have a role for her after her competitive career.

Harrison said she has to “sort of just figure out where I belong.

“The one question I ask myself is, ‘Do you really want to start from the bottom again? Are you ready to start all over? You’re going to be 26 years old. Are you going to completely reshape your whole life and reinvent yourself?’ Because that’s what I’d have to do.”

However, while recovering from knee surgery, she tried boxing to stay active and “Turns out that I liked hitting stuff as much as I liked throwing stuff,” Harrison said with a laugh. “That is when I first got the inkling that maybe I would be able to punch somebody in the face.”

And the large audience for MMA, thanks in part to Rousey, appeals to her. “UFC is a PR machine,” Harrison said. “It’s becoming very mainstream. Ronda’s name is a household name now. I’m not saying that I would grab headlines as much as her because she’s a very unique person, but I think that having a broader audience and having a bigger impact than just what I have now would be definitely something that I’m interested in.

“Think of all the people that I could talk to about my foundation.”

The trash talk in MMA, though, doesn’t fit her personality. After all, judo is a peaceful art and means “gentle way” in Japanese.

“If someone insulted me, I would just laugh,” Harrison said. “I think about that all the time. I’m like, ‘OK, you have to be able to have really good comebacks, be really witty and sharp. And I’m the type of girl who if you insult me or you make fun of me, I’ll think of something — that night in bed. I’ll be like, ‘I got it! I should have said that! Darn it!’”

Rousey has asked Harrison to be in some future projects with her and Harrison said she has been a good mentor and “guided me through some of the craziness and some of the stuff that I’ve had to do.”

A “Ronda Complex”

While Rousey was preparing for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, where she won a bronze medal, Harrison was her training partner.

“One thing I will never deny about Ronda is she would rather chew off her own arm than lose and I’m the same way,” Harrison said. “I would do whatever it takes to win, so having that kind of atmosphere where you’re training in it every night makes you get a lot better a lot faster.”

They shared a house with other athletes near Pedro’s Judo Center in Wakefield, Massachusetts. Harrison, who was 16 and starting in a new place after the abusive situation with her former instructor, was the youngest.

“To be quite honest, there were days when I had no money and she would go buy the groceries,” Harrison said. “And then I could eat for a week. Yeah, there’s this big, tough Ronda persona out there for the world, but the Ronda I remember is the Ronda who would buy me groceries or make sure I had a ride to practice. Or when there were internet trolls making fun of me, she would go online and say something because people listened to her opinion.

“She was a major part of my life during the time when I could have gone either way. I was in a really bad place when I first met Ronda, so the fact that she was there for me and all of my teammates were there for me, and the Pedros were there for me, they all hold a special place in my heart because of that.”

Harrison said Rousey’s favorite word to describe them at that time was “frenemies” — friends, but enemies on the mat.

Harrison doesn’t expect to ever fight Rousey in a cage.

“You’d have to chop off my legs to make 135 pounds,” Harrison said.

But she still feels as competitive toward her former rival as she does toward current rival Aguiar.

“I guess you can say I’ve always kind of had a Ronda complex,” Harrison said, “because she was at the Pedros’ before me, she was their golden girl, anything she could do I wanted to do better. It’s made me push myself harder to be better and do more than any U.S. judo player has ever done.

“I think Ronda was in the right place at the right time and she was the perfect person to take women MMAs to the level that she’s taken it. If it had been me, it wouldn’t have been as successful, because I’m not Ronda. That’s the truth of it. She is — she’s crazy.”

Harrison laughed. “She’ll say whatever she wants whenever she wants to whoever she wants. She’s not afraid of that. I’m not like that in a lot of ways and I’m a little more reserved. I don’t have any regrets. I’m happy with where I am. Everyone has their own journey. Ronda has her own journey. I have my own journey. Everything happens for a reason and if I do MMA, then I’ll have a Ronda complex again and I’ll have to do everything bigger and better, but for now, I’m happy just being Kayla.”

At 75kg Kayla is a bloody beast on the Tatami

At 75kg Kayla is a bloody beast on the Tatami

I'm not up to speed with Judo weigh in procedures. But does this mean she walks around at 75kg or so in the Gi (165lbs). Meaning she could probably make the cut to 145lbs.

I'm not up to speed with Judo weigh in procedures. But does this mean she walks around at 75kg or so in the Gi (165lbs). Meaning she could probably make the cut to 145lbs.

Judo Gi are even heavier than BJJ gi in my experience.

Judo Gi are even heavier than BJJ gi in my experience.
    Yeah definitely. We've a judo guy who cross trains with us and his gi is like a carpet.

But I meant I don't know the weight in procedure for judo at the Olympics.
    As you know, BJJ it's right before the match in BJJ, in the gi. So a 76kg fighter Probably weighs up to 74kg.
    In wrestling, its the day before. So a 74kg fighter could be 84kg.

How does it work in judo?

Ah right. Are olympic sports not all the same weigh in wise?

Ah right. Are olympic sports not all the same weigh in wise?
    I don't think so. Weightlifting is two hours for example. But they're the only two I know.
    The weighin rules are set by the individual governing bodies I think.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Will be interesting to see if he actually goes through with it, or if he gets "injured" right before.

I've never felt that he actually wants to fight, rather he likes the sound of being called a UFC fighter.

Unlike Brock, who doesn't give a toss who he fights, he just likes to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Will be interesting to see if he actually goes through with it, or if he gets "injured" right before.

I've never felt that he actually wants to fight, rather he likes the sound of being called a UFC fighter.

Unlike Brock, who doesn't give a toss who he fights, he just likes to make money.

I presume cm punk is on a decent wedge to show, and dont forget that sweet reebok momey

I presume cm punk is on a decent wedge to show, and dont forget that sweet reebok momey

He'll still have to get his ass kicked if he shows.

I'd set over/under for his injury pull out announcement for 10th August

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Just got fight pass there at the weekend been going through a tonne of fights.

Looking for further recommendations!

Pride. Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Some early fun to watch fights

Tank Abbott vs. John Matua
    Mark Coleman vs. Don Fry
    Vitor Belfort vs. Scott Ferrozzo
    Randy Couture vs. Chuck Liddell
    Ken Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz (2 or 3 fights)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hendo vs Shogun 1, goes very close to Lawler vs MacDonald in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No, the weigh in is not in the Gi.

Someone asks similar questions HERE

I think Kayla could make 145, but as she said in the article I posted she'd have to cut off both legs to make 135.

Kayla is a completely different Judoka than Rousey, and hopefully after Rio she'll be a double gold medalist ~ and that's gotta be worth $$$$ in the UFC.

She's looking a little soft here, but you can see she's a much heavier muscled athlete than Rousey.

389721.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mark Hunt vs Bigfoot I
    Gil Melendez vs Diego Sanchez
    Nick Diaz vs Paul Daley

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement