Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Any info on Vitali Minokov? I've never seen him fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

WarZ wrote: »
    Any info on Vitali Minokov? I've never seen him fight
    He was very good in Bellator but heavyweight division is really poor there

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Alex White injured and Ryan Hall fight is now off, not looking for replacement. Can't believe haven't seen Ryan fight since Tuf finale.

What's the story with Artem. Probably cut, but I haven't seen him be officially cut AFAIR
    Add your reply here. He is still signed with the UFC. There were some rumours about Artem fighting some guy from Nates camp ( listen to Nates interview in MMA Hour). I guess thats not happening anymore. Personally, i never liked him. He is all talk and no show. Plus he has more defeats than wins . Dana seems to love him so i have a feeling he might get another shot someday. He might do well against a brawler but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'll get the TUF Finale thread up on Thursday or Friday when it becomes apparent who is in the finale as the card seems a bit up in the air at the moment in terms of times etc.

___

Omielanczuk tested positive for meldonium but won't receive a suspension. Apparently WADA have some guidelines where you won't be suspended for meldonium, can anyone clarify? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Paully D wrote: »
    I'll get the TUF Finale thread up on Thursday or Friday when it becomes apparent who is in the finale as the card seems a bit up in the air at the moment in terms of times etc.

___

Omielanczuk tested positive for meldonium but won't receive a suspension. Apparently WADA have some guidelines where you won't be suspended for meldonium, can anyone clarify? :confused:

They allow some leeway with meldonium at the moment because it's still unclear how long it actually stays in one's system. There have been well over 100 athletes across all sport popped for meldonium, but a lot are claiming they stopped taking it before the ban took effect, so it's up in the air at the minute. WADA released an official notice about in April, I'll throw a link at the bottom of this and it'll take you to a page where you can download the PDF of it. All the info is in there.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/resources/science-medicine/meldonium-notice-april-13-2016

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Jones and Cormier interview on fox sports 1 right now. Very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Paully D wrote:
    Omielanczuk tested positive for meldonium but won't receive a suspension. Apparently WADA have some guidelines where you won't be suspended for meldonium, can anyone clarify?

In the case of meldonium, there is currently a lack of clear scientific information on excretion times. For this reason, a hearing panel might justifiably find (unless there is specific evidence to the contrary) that an athlete who has established on the balance of probabilities that he or she ingested meldonium before 1 January 2016 could not reasonably have known or suspected that the meldonium would still be present in his or her body on or after 1 January 2016. In these circumstances, WADA considers that there may be grounds for no fault or negligence on the part of the athlete.â€

If an athlete takes meldonium on or after Jan. 1, it is a clear violation, which is to be punished according to the ruling body’s policy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

They have been posting the odd mma article on their website, usually McGregor based, so it may well be them

I always find it funny how they don't acknowledge a sport when they don't have the rights to it, like with F1 a few years ago, but then the Sky Sports hype train goes into overdrive with it as soon as it's on their platform

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

It would be awful for BT to lose it. One of the things I associate with them is MMA/UFC and is a great package combined with the football.

• Advertisement

Looked for an event threat for this but I don't think its been made yet. Does anyone else think that Claudia will beat Joanna? Just rewatched their old fight and you could argue Claudia won all three of the rounds and at most you could argue that Joanna won the first round because of the uppercut at the end of the round. Claudias wrestling game seemed to strong for Joanna, can't wait for this fight.

It'll certainly be Sky. If it was going to continue on BT they wouldn't bother with the reveal stuff, IMO.

Sky have money burning a whole in their pocket after losing so much to BT over the last couple of years. With Sky, if they don't have or don't plan to make a big play for coverage of a sport you'd actually never know it existed if you were to just watch their stations. However, in recent times they've started to get on top of UFC coverage a lot more so putting 2+2 together. It was the same with Formula 1, as mentioned.

The BT package is excellent value to be fair and while I'm sure not much will change in the immediate future, when you see Sky charging €20 and selling a huge amount of PPV's for the likes of Anthony Joshua v Ian Beale, you'd have to fear that charging for numbered events (the same as the US model) is something they see for their future. On the plus side, their coverage is second to none and I'm sure we will get more quality UFC shows and coverage compared to BT.

Wasnt someone saying the person running sky hates MMA? might of put it aside in favour of profits,

on the ppv I know its been discussed before consensus was they wouldnt make money running a ppv in the middle of the night but who knows,Im a bit sick because I have bt for 12 quid a month.

Looked for an event threat for this but I don't think its been made yet. Does anyone else think that Claudia will beat Joanna? Just rewatched their old fight and you could argue Claudia won all three of the rounds and at most you could argue that Joanna won the first round because of the uppercut at the end of the round. Claudias wrestling game seemed to strong for Joanna, can't wait for this fight.

Claudia certainly won the first fight, IMO. It was one of the poorest decisions I can remember as I don't feel it was even especially close. That said, I think Joanna has improved a huge amount since then, dismantling Esparza and Penne and winning a comfortable 5 rounder against Letourneau. Meanwhile, I don't think Gadelha has really pushed on, suffering an injury which caused her to have some time out and fighting only once since the first Joanna fight where she didn't look all that good against Aguilar who was making her UFC debut.

I would love to see Gadelha do it but I think Joanna wins. It wouldn't be a huge surprise if Claudia does it though. Like you, I can't wait for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Paully D wrote: »
    It'll certainly be Sky. If it was going to continue on BT they wouldn't bother with the reveal stuff, IMO.

Sky have money burning a whole in their pocket after losing so much to BT over the last couple of years. With Sky, if they don't have or don't plan to make a big play for coverage of a sport you'd actually never know it existed if you were to just watch their stations. However, in recent times they've started to get on top of UFC coverage a lot more so putting 2+2 together. It was the same with Formula 1, as mentioned.

The BT package is excellent value to be fair and while I'm sure not much will change in the immediate future, when you see Sky charging €20 and selling a huge amount of PPV's for the likes of Anthony Joshua v Ian Beale, you'd have to fear that charging for numbered events (the same as the US model) is something they see for their future. On the plus side, their coverage is second to none and I'm sure we will get more quality UFC shows and coverage compared to BT.

What makesx you think it will be sky? Because they're going to announce it? Same type of thing was going on last time around, except there was a lot more coverage of it when ESPN at that time got it. I think the announcement is just typical of UFC marketing, any excuse to have a presser and get their name out there they'll do it.

The last thing we want is sly getting their grubby hands on it. I've said in here all along that they'll start charging for some(maybe 4 p/a) events. I'd bet big that if they do get it and they do 206(?) in England for Bisping that they'll make it a PPV card on sky.

Any changes will not drastically change what we see during events though. UFC will basically plug their feed into sky for them to air it, no more, same as it is now with UFC in charge of their broadcasting. I think that was 1 of the bigger issues with sky not doing it before because they like putting their spin on things and the UFC are very strict about event coverage. They might put other UFC type shows on but I doubt it. They're live coverage is good but everything else they show is pretty cheesey IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

When BT passed on the European nights early last year they were picked up on delay by PICK which is owned by Sky might have been them testing the water? I only went with BT because of the UFC rights be annoying if they lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd be happy with Sky.

Not that much more than Setanta, and better football.

I don't see them ever doing PPVs either.

Nova Uniao fighters discuss team's "rough patch" :pac:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/2/11958482/nova-uniao-fighters-discuss-team-s-rough-patch-in-the-ufc
    RIO DE JANEIRO -- July is a busy month for Nova Uniao in the UFC, one which gives the gym a chance to bounce back from a rough start in 2016.

The team that once held multiple UFC and Bellator titles has struggled inside the Octagon in the first six months of 2016, scoring only one win in eight fights. But next week, four Nova Uniao fighters will enter the UFC cage in three days, and they know that a win is important to bring the team’s name back to the top.

At July 7’s UFC Fight Night 90, Dileno Lopes faces Anthony Birchak. The next night, at The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale, Fernando Bruno also attempts to score his first UFC win versus Gray Maynard, while Claudia Gadelha headlines the card versus strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. At the historic UFC 200, 24 hours later, Jose Aldo looks to become the interim featherweight champion when he rematches Frankie Edgar.

"(My win is important) not only for (Aldo), but for the entire Nova Uniao team," Gadelha said during a media day in Rio de Janeiro. "We’re going through a rough patch. We need to win again. We have this duty in our hands to bring the wins to Nova Uniao again.

"It’s a rough patch. There were times when we had three world titles while other teams had none. Today, Kings MMA has one, but (recently) had two. The sport goes through an evolution process, starting a new era. You can see how many belts changed hands. MMA is growing a lot and sometimes one team has the power, and then it changes to other team."

While Gadelha thinks that a win over Jedrzejczyk would give Aldo extra confidence while he prepares to face Edgar the night after, the former featherweight champion tries not to think about what a win at UFC 200 would do to the rest of his team.

"I wouldn’t say it’s a responsibility. Claudia and I are fighting for the belt, but I try to forget about it," Aldo said. "First of all, I focus on myself. After we win, we’ll think about how that will affect (the team). We train hard. I see how hard she’s training every day, and I know how hard I’m training, and I’m sure we will win."

Aldo doesn’t think anything is wrong with his team, but believes that the new Nova Uniao training center that head coach Andre Pederneiras is building in Rio de Janeiro will result in a positive effect in his teammate’s performances.

"I think it’s only a phase," Aldo said. "‘Dede’ is doing an excellent job and changing things. Thank God they are building a new training center that will help us maintain that. We have excellent fighters, new guys that will become champions too. Everybody works hard and dedicates because they know the risks. Everything that happened is a learning experience for everyone, not only for us."

"I can’t explain that," Dileno Lopes said of Nova Uniao’s 1-7 run in the UFC in 2016. "We train hard every day together, but anything can happen in a fight. We will bounce back and bring more wins. ‘Dede’ is investing a lot in training, so I believe in God that we will turn this around and become stronger again. New coaches are coming, new training, and we will bounce back."

Gadelha also expects the new training center to change things for the better, but says that the team has changed the way they see the sport.

"The new training center will change a lot," Gadelha said. "We needed this new space with more structure. And the coaches are working more specifically. For an example, I’m going to fight Joanna, and everybody is focused on me fighting Joanna. It’s not ‘Claudinha’ against anyone. It’s something specific for her. The same thing with Aldo and Frankie Edgar. That will give us a better results.

"Nova Uniao is ready for this new era," she continued. "We have our minds open to learn and innovate. You can’t fight the same way forever. We opened our minds for new things so we can follow the evolution of the sport."

Bruno, who faces a veteran in Maynard in the biggest fight of his career in Las Vegas, believes that the team’s run in the 2016 shows that the sport is more competitive now, and expects Nova Uniao to show "there’s no crisis" by winning two UFC belts in July.

However, "Acougueiro" believes that recent setbacks have taught Nova Uniao fighters a lesson.

"You have to learn lessons from wins and losses," Bruno said. "If you don’t learn anything from what happens to us, rights and wrongs… A punch didn’t work, so let’s train to make it right. The team has to evolve. If something happens in a fight and the athlete or the coach doesn’t see it, that’s wrong.

"Our training is more specific now," he continued. "If they are being more professional outside of Brazil, the athlete and the team have to focus on that, too. Train everything, jiu-jitsu to boxing, to grow as a team."

For Bruno, a lightweight runner-up at the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil in 2015, Nova Uniao -- and other teams, too -- lacked something in training, but coach Andre Pederneiras has already fixed it.

"Commitment. That’s it," Bruno said. "Not only here, but in the UFC as a whole. In the past, not training jiu-jitsu was a big mistake. ‘Dede’ said that we have to train everything. I think we were lacking (commitment), yes. ‘Dede’ is always fixing everything here."

Come to think of it if Sky have the rights we might actually get to see walkouts and announcements unlike bt who go to adbreaks when brock ****ing lesnars return is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Just resubscribed to BT there for the next few months. I take it this deal means 202 may be on Sky then ? Doesnt bother me either way. I'll move over to sky. I dont think they do a rolling monthly contract like Setanta though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Could a sky deal affect availability of events on fight pass. I know in US certain cards are blocked depending on what TV channel is showing them. Planning on ditching sky sports in august when my current 20e a month deal runs out,not paying 36

dashoonage wrote: »
    Just resubscribed to BT there for the next few months. I take it this deal means 202 may be on Sky then ? Doesnt bother me either way. I'll move over to sky. I dont think they do a rolling monthly contract like Setanta though.

Could go with Now TV instead? Think it's a bit more than contact sky but it's month to month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

If Sky get it i will probably scale back my live UFC viewing,hard to imagine they start charging for events,but i just can't imagine getting anything like the value we currently get on BT from Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I have sky. But would hate ufc to be on there.

The only reason to move to sky is to make events ppv as they do a lot of them. How many people would buy it on here?

I wouldn't pay extra for something ive been getting free so long.

BT have been blowing sky out of the water for football so be surprised if they let ufc go, as it is only gaining popularity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I'm coming to end of half price sky sports soon, will defo only have package for whoever carries ufc after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Love BT the only thing that annoys me is 2nd box viewing isn't standard. Might make me move to sky Q so I can have peace watching on Sunday mornings :)

BT execs are meant to have met them before 194 so hopefully they were able to get a deal done! I get BT sports for free as part of my package so would suck to not have it on any more! Its hardly surprising but when you watch Spike you get Bellator rammed down your throat I guess its unfair to compare the two, given they are both Viacom, but still when there is a Bellator event coming up you sure know about it which can't always be said about BT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

If Sky get it it's almost certain to be PPV isn't it. I'm surprised we've been getting it so soft this long to be honest.
    I wouldn't mind paying 10 or 15 for the big main events. Sadly I think we will get screwed, 27:99 for Fight nights ect

If Sky get it it's almost certain to be PPV isn't it. I'm surprised we've been getting it so soft this long to be honest.
    I wouldn't mind paying 10 or 15 for the big main events. Sadly I think we will get screwed, 27:99 for Fight nights ect

Yeh given how much it is in the US we've had a good run of it up to now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I don't mind if sky get it as they will hype the **** outta it and probably get more eyes on it.

My worry is what happens with fightpass. I sub to it so get all the fightnights and I just buy the ppv there as well, as I don't really like BT coverage (ad breaks between rounds/interviews/walk outs etc.)
    I just fire on fightpass and done. Would sky restrict this like it is in the states?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement