Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

newbbieb wrote: »
    To me this is a worrying development for anyone hoping UFC stays with BT.Its hard to imagine Eir giving out free BT sports packages unless BTs stock took a hit,as in losing the UFC.

They're upping every Eir customer's price by €8, if anything they'll make more money off that than Setanta were making on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

To me this is a worrying development for anyone hoping UFC stays with BT.Its hard to imagine Eir giving out free BT sports packages unless BTs stock took a hit,as in losing the UFC.

Would the UFC be a big enough commodity to influence Eir's decision to give out the sports channels to their broadband customers? Pure speculation but I can't see that being the case.

It looks like Eir are just copying the model BT had in the UK - to give out sports channels for "free" in order to retain/win broadband customers. Presumably premier league football is the key hook.

That said, given the recent popularity of MMA over here, it's possible what you're saying is the case. Anything is I suppose.

Whatever happens with the TV rights, i hope they still allow us to buy pay-per-views directly from UFV.tv or through youtube. Could see that option being closed this time round. Open to correction but I don't think this is an option in the UK under the current rights contract. Hopefully we don't get lumped into the same both as the UK in relation to the black outs on UFC.tv and Fightpass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Joe24 wrote: »
    Would the UFC be a big enough commodity to influence Eir's decision to give out the sports channels to their broadband customers? Pure speculation but I can't see that being the case.

It looks like Eir are just copying the model BT had in the UK - to give out sports channels for "free" in order to retain/win broadband customers. Presumably premier league football is the key hook.

That said, given the recent popularity of MMA over here, it's possible what you're saying is the case. Anything is I suppose.

Whatever happens with the TV rights, i hope they still allow us to buy pay-per-views directly from UFV.tv or through youtube. Could see that option being closed this time round. Open to correction but I don't think this is an option in the UK under the current rights contract. Hopefully we don't get lumped into the same both as the UK in relation to the black outs on UFC.tv and Fightpass.

Well i think BTs stock is pretty high right now and most people seem to be think its great value for money when you get all the UFC events plus premier league games for a reasonable price.

But i imagined if they just scored a new contract with the UFC they would be more likely to be upping their price for rights to companies like Eir.When you see Eir gonna offer it free to all their customers it seems possible that BTs stock took a hit,and became more affordable for Eir to run something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Given the week that's in it, isn't it mad to see how far the sport has come since UFC 100 7 years ago? I wonder what the state of play will be for UFC 300 in 2023?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Mir gets popped for roids. Mir gets suspended. Mir requests release from UFC contract citing they are stopping him from making a living!!! :D:rolleyes: You didn't spend much time considering your kids futures when doping or making up excuses about kangeroos Frank!

I'd say IF he did get released he'll be signed upto rizin(*insert any other dodgy MMA promotion you like) within a week

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/5/12101562/frank-mir-requests-his-release-from-the-ufc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Paully D wrote: »
    Given the week that's in it, isn't it mad to see how far the sport has come since UFC 100 7 years ago? I wonder what the state of play will be for UFC 300 in 2023?

UFC 100 couldn't have been 7 years ago?????????????????????????
    Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Devastator wrote: »
    Mir gets popped for roids. Mir gets suspended. Mir requests release from UFC contract citing they are stopping him from making a living!!! :D:rolleyes: You didn't spend much time considering your kids futures when doping or making up excuses about kangeroos Frank!

I'd say IF he did get released he'll be signed upto rizin(*insert any other dodgy MMA promotion you like) within a week

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/5/12101562/frank-mir-requests-his-release-from-the-ufc

That's a serious shovel he has there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I remember how sickened i was when Mir, my favourite fighter at the time, got pounded into oblivion by the Braawwk. Always left a bitter taste in my mouth about 100. Now here we are at 200 and Mir is looking for release for eating dodgy kangaroo meat and saying it's not worth fighting it....

Why can't he commentate while he's suspended?

I always felt he would make the UFC hall of fame but i wonder would this affect it.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Why can't he commentate while he's suspended?

I always felt he would make the UFC hall of fame but i wonder would this affect it.

Have the UFC let anypne suspended for doping commentate or do analysis while serving their suspensions? I know Chael was on UFC on fox shows (whether him 'retiring' made a difference?), but who was he employed by there? He doesn't even seem sure of the answer. If he keeps making out like the UFC are treating him badly then he'll not get HoF, otherwise I've always had him down as a definite

Yeah i always enjoyed his wec fight analysis and figured he would be a good fit on fox. Back to working the door on his strip club i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

How long is Mir suspended for? Hardly worth quiting over it, Silva wasn't banned for very long was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How long is Mir suspended for? Hardly worth quiting over it, Silva wasn't banned for very long was he?

2 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

DrPhilG wrote:
    2 years

Why so long compared to Anderson Silva?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Why so long compared to Anderson Silva?

Cause one was for kangaroo meat and the other was sex pills, its all very straight forward if im being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Thought it was a v. good interview with Yoel Romero on the MMA hour, had a translator there but has improved his English greatly said basically when he comes back physic/performance wise we'll be seeing the same Yoel we've always seen, called out Bisping too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

How quick is the fight pass recorded version available after the event. Would it be available say 7am Friday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭xtal191

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    How quick is the fight pass recorded version available after the event. Would it be available say 7am Friday morning?

I think events are up straight away unless its a numbered event, they're not on Fight Pass until a month after it airs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

If BT are losing UFC, they are really keeping Eir in the dark :D

000c7f1f-642.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

xtal191 wrote: »
    I think events are up straight away unless its a numbered event, they're not on Fight Pass until a month after it airs.

Fight Pass events that are also (labeled [ON FOX]) are not up initially either think it's 3-4 weeks, so as far as I know this will actually include the TUF Finale on Friday as FOX cover the show in the U.S.

So Basically something like this:

- Dos Anjos and Alvarez on Thursday - available right away
    - Tuf Finale - 3-4 weeks
    - UFC 200 - all pre-lims right away, main card whenever you pay for it whether live or after, there's a time limit on it however, up in library for free viewing 2-3 months after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Good I want to see a couple of fights early Friday morning before spoilers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

JoeyJJ wrote: »

Yep, unless they are PPV's.

If there's a card I can't stay up and watch live such as a Sunday card or a midweek card, I generally just watch the main event with my breakfast before I leave for work. I'll be doing the same with Claudia v Joanna and Duffy's fight on Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Pendred v King eclipses them all :P

Thought it was a v. good interview with Yoel Romero on the MMA hour, had a translator there but has improved his English greatly said basically when he comes back physic/performance wise we'll be seeing the same Yoel we've always seen, called out Bisping too.

hehehe no doubt about what Bisping thinks of being called out by him :D

https://twitter.com/bisping/status/750757099655737344

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Mir's excuses for being popped for ped's on the mma hour is hilarious hes gone from blaming kangaroo meat to mexican farmers ha moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,402 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

...said basically when he comes back physic/performance wise we'll be seeing the same Yoel we've always seen,

That's a poor choice of words considering he was open about the fact that the PEDs in his system :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 martinbe

Has anybody tried to use Eir Sport. Ive been trying for a day to get it working on my laptop. Only works on Firefox and you have to run Silverlight. When i finally get in i get an error. Tried it on 2 laptops and got the same error. Decided to try the app on my Android and it says i can only have 2 devices registered. Turns out i have to wait a month before i can register another device.

Might have to go down the Fight pass route now.

Chael is doing the rogan podcast on monday look forward to that.

Mighty Mouse inured, out of 201.

Dana saying GSP wont fight again,will be booked for 205 so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gamebred wrote: »
    Dana saying GSP wont fight again,will be booked for 205 so.

Where did this happen? On the TUF finale was it? :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement