Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motorcycles Suited to a Tall Beginner

• 13-01-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

How's it going lads? Lurker turned poster here. I know you must get sick of all us newbies looking for advice but if you don't ask you won't get!

I've wanted to start biking for a long time and now I've got a few bob I want to get cracking! I haven't done my theory or IBT or anything yet but will make progress with that in the next few weeks. My question is regarding what kind of bike would suit me. I'm a big fan of cruisers and have been set on a Virago 250, but I've recently read that they wouldn't be suitable for a tall rider. I'm 23, 6'4 and around 92 kgs so I'm not a small chap! I was hoping you guys could advise me in regards to what kind of bike (cruiser ideally) would be suited to my build (bearing in mind my budget won't allow for anything fancy!).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

When are you 24? I would strongly advise you to hold on until then. You will then able to apply for a full unrestricted A licence.

If you go ahead now at 23, you will be stuck with an A2 licence. You will end up having to do IBT again for the full A learner permit or be stuck with a restriction for 2 years following the passing of your drivng test. A lot of annoying BS that could be easily avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

You best bet is to go to a showroom and have a sit on some and get a feeling of what best fits you. I drive a yamaha fz6N and im 6'4 @~100kg and find it very comfy.Took my legs etc about a month of commuting to adjust to the seating. Just my input :)

As pugzilla said hold of till your 24 if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 StevieSleeps

Damn, I didn't realize I'd have to redo IBT. I'm not 24 until next December but as you say I would avoid a lot of BS so I probably should hold off :(

I'd still be interested in any advice regarding my long leg situation! Neildyr, did you have much hassle finding a bike that you'd fit on comfortably? And have you ever been on a Virago, Honda Rebel or something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm 6'1 and only started biking last year. I went for an F800GS. A big and tall bike. I love it though. Scared the crap out of me at first, because it's not a light bike, but it is so much fun to ride and because it's a tall bike, you sit above traffic.

Worth having a look at. The adventure bikes tend to be tall, so would suit your frame. But, they are not for the faint hearted. Go sit on one and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You wouldn't need to redo all of IBT, just module 5 on the A category, so more like an extra 100-150 quid rather than 500.

Sit on a load of bikes. Cruisers are a particular thing, not for everyone - I found the one I learned on very hard to ride.

Big bikes wise, you could look at a few of the sports touring variety. Like a v-strom 650.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Same stats as you albeit few kg + :oo

For me adv'ish bikes suit me. Prefer the upright seating. Started out on a f650 GS with a Dakar seat fitted. Then moved onto a v Strom 650 with the DL 1000 seat, fit like a glove :D

Funnily, when I first started looking at bikes, I took a look at a virago also
    > NO, just NO. :D

Advertisement