Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With a week to go till the major start to the new season of TV has any of the new shows starting this season caught your eye?

I have to say this season seems light on new shows that have caught my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There seems to be a very good buzz about Designated Survivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

With a week to go till the major start to the new season of TV has any of the new shows starting this season caught your eye?

I have to say this season seems light on new shows that have caught my eye.
    Mr E wrote: »
    There seems to be a very good buzz about Designated Survivor.

This is the one I'm keen to see myself. I'm sure I'll end up trying out a few, but I'll probably wait and see what still has buzz about it 4 or 5 episodes in first, because I've already got enough shows to keep up with as it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I heard a promo for it on a political podcast.

I like Kiefer I might one of the few who enjoyed Touch that is one I will a try alright.

I also don't think Kiefer get's enough credit for bringing film stars back to TV it was common place in the 50's & 60's to be on TV and Film at the same time even for major Hollywood stars.

It wasn't till 24 became huge that more and more Hollywood stars saw there was money and good stories to be told again on TV.

Other than Westworld the show that I am looking forward to is Berlin Station from Epix with Richard Armitage, Michelle Forbes, Rhys Ifans & Richard Jenkins this is a cast to match Westworld for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm interested in checking out Timeless just because it's from the team of Shawn Ryan and Eric Kripke.

Summer is over and the tv season kicks off tomorrow and the first new show of the season (and probably first cancelled) is sitcom The Good Place with Kristen Bell and Ted Danson and it looks God awful that is a pun as it is set in the afterlife.

Longmire Season 5 on Friday, that's all that matters this week. :)

Z Nation on Friday kicked it off for me but seems this weeks has a lot more shows than I originally thought with Lucifer, Gotham, Agents of SHIELD, Scream Queens, Star Wars Rebels, Once Upon a Time and possibly Designated Survivor, Lethal Weapon, MacGyver, Exorcist and Hawaii Five 0.

Hmmm, hasn't started yet and already I need to see where I can cut back. Will check reviews for the new shows before watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Summer is over and the tv season kicks off tomorrow and the first new show of the season (and probably first cancelled) is sitcom The Good Place with Kristen Bell and Ted Danson and it looks God awful that is a pun as it is set in the afterlife.
    It's created by Michael Schur, co-creator of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Parks and Recreation, so I'll be checking it out at least.

• Advertisement

Looks like both of this week's remakes (Lethal Weapon and MacGyver) are crap.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/reviews/lethal-weapon-macgyver-tv-review-damon-wayans-clayne-crawford-1201860866/

I had a bit more hope for Lethal Weapon but ye no real surprise.

Both now to run for 10 seasons until they really are "Too old for this sh1t"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Eh it's got Kristen Bell, Ted Danson and as mentioned above created by one of the minds behind Parks & Rec, The US Office and Brooklyn Nine-Nine... That's a recipe for success right there - also the early critic reviews have given it high praise. I'll be tuning in and crossing my fingers that it's even a portion as good as the aforementioned three. Probably the best hope of a good comedy this season.

Also, not to be pedantic, but technically it's the third new show of the season (if we're only including US network TV) - Son of Zorn already had it's premiere on FOX (steaming pile of s***e - don't bother with it) and the latest CBS outing starring Kevin James, Kevin Can't Wait (I'm guessing it'll be closer to his awful film career than the fantastic King of Queens) will hit the screens before The Good Place does tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

.. and the latest CBS outing starring Kevin James, Kevin Can't Wait (I'm guessing it'll be closer to his awful film career than the fantastic King of Queens) will hit the screens before The Good Place does tonight.
    IGN gave it an awful review.. and that takes a lot! :)

Eh it's got Kristen Bell, Ted Danson and as mentioned above created by one of the minds behind Parks & Rec, The US Office and Brooklyn Nine-Nine... That's a recipe for success right there - also the early critic reviews have given it high praise. I'll be tuning in and crossing my fingers that it's even a portion as good as the aforementioned three. Probably the best hope of a good comedy this season.
    Basq wrote: »

I'm only judging it from the trailers I saw and they were totally awful and I'm a huge fan of everyone involved in the show.

Yes IGN are usually to positive in their reviews if anything.

Basq wrote: »

I'll probably still end up checking out the pilot of Kevin Can Wait out of morbid curiosity, but I'm not expecting much at all.
    I'm only judging it from the trailers I saw and they were totally awful and I'm a huge fan of everyone involved in the show.

I only vaguely remember the trailer from the upfronts, so can't really comment on it, but the write-ups for The Good Place have been good, so I'd say at least give it a shot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

After five years of the atrocious house of lies Kristen Bell has no credit left in the bank. Danson has had some unexpected hits with Fargo and Bored to Death but I wouldn't be setting the VCR for this just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Anybody know who does the current voiceover for RTE 2's adverts for their own shows, i.e. 'Can't Cope, Won't Cope'? It's horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Anyone watching Jonbenet: An American Murder Mystery on ID?
    There was no "foreign faction", someone in the family did it.

• Advertisement

With Damon Wayans in Lethal Weapon, they could slowly turn it into a Last Boy Scout series as well

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Half way through the first episode of The Good Place and it's just downright strange, and not in a good way.

And what the hell is Jameela Jamil doing in there? Just to add to the bizarreness of it all.

It's a show that's definitely going to run out of ideas very quickly.

I disagree. I liked it a lot. :)

I think that there is enough story there to sustain it for a while too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think for a pilot it was pretty strong. Focused on the ensemble rather than just Bell's character, which I liked.

I agree there were enough issues set up for a solid run, Eleanor's struggle to be good, Michael's first solo job, Jameelee and her Buddhist soul mate (something going on with him), not to mention the bad place.

One issue I did have is that the so called good people don't appear to be all that good, people who have worked tirelessly in life for civil rights or to fight poverty and they're happy to sit in their mansions while everyone else is relegated to the bad place but hopefully this will be addressed.

I really enjoyed The Good Place. Set up the world pretty well and set the tone for the series. It could potentially end up being my favourite new show of the series.

Started a thread for it... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057649995

Joss Whedon got some of his mates together for an Anti-Trump PSA and it's just brilliant...

Was that Bradley Whitford?

And who was the one that seemed like she was about to cry. She's familiar but can't remember why

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was that Bradley Whitford?

And who was the one that seemed like she was about to cry. She's familiar but can't remember why

I had to look it up, you made it annoy me :) It's Ashley Johnson.

And yeah, that's Bradley Whitford, he's gone very grey. Josh and the President together again, excellent.

The rest of them weren't bad either. Even the immigrant. Bloody Canadians!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I watched the first ep of This is Us tonight. Really enjoyed it. Quite cleverly done (maybe a tiny bit melodramatic, but you'd forgive them for wanting to hook viewers in) and it seems like it could be a good ensemble drama.

Looking forward to seeing more, will be interesting to see how it develops from this point.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    I watched the first ep of This is Us tonight. Really enjoyed it. Quite cleverly done (maybe a tiny bit melodramatic, but you'd forgive them for wanting to hook viewers in) and it seems like it could be a good ensemble drama.

Looking forward to seeing more, will be interesting to see how it develops from this point.

I really enjoyed it as well - reminded me of Parenthood (hugely underrated series by the way) in many ways. I was gonna make a thread for it earlier, but I got lazy...

Advertisement