Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I really enjoyed it as well - reminded me of Parenthood (hugely underrated series by the way) in many ways. I was gonna make a thread for it earlier, but I got lazy...

There we go... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057650635

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

maudgonner wrote: »
    I had to look it up, you made it annoy me :) It's Ashley Johnson.

Just realised it was her while making tea but forgot to look her up to confirm. Ellie from Last of Us or probably more recognisable now as from Blindspot. And that Jessie Williams guy has really blue eyes.

On season 2 of West Wing so see Bradley in that, but I saw him in Cabin in the Woods which is more recent. He seems to have aged rapidly in the past few years. Or thought was for a role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Added a trailer for ya their, lazy fooker.

That dude outta heros must spend all his time in the gym and that ex green arrow from smallville hartleys the same. That one thats about to eat the fridge balances it out though.

Added a trailer for ya their, lazy fooker.

Yeah my bad - I opted for a Sufjan Stevens song instead of the actual trailer. In retrospect I could've put both in though, so thanks for that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

CastorTroy wrote: »
    On season 2 of West Wing so see Bradley in that, but I saw him in Cabin in the Woods which is more recent. He seems to have aged rapidly in the past few years. Or thought was for a role

You lucky thing :) I'd love to be watching it again for the first time. Stick with it though the dodgy bits (some of season 3, most of season 5).

I think Rob Lowe drains the youth out of all his former co-stars and that's how he stops himself aging. Like Dorian Grey's picture in the attic. Poor Bradley is one of his victims, along with most of the brat pack.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    You lucky thing :) I'd love to be watching it again for the first time. Stick with it though the dodgy bits (some of season 3, most of season 5).

I think Rob Lowe drains the youth out of all his former co-stars and that's how he stops himself aging. Like Dorian Grey's picture in the attic. Poor Bradley is one of his victims, along with most of the brat pack.

You're probably on to something there - I had never really thought about it, but it makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Yeah my bad - I opted for a Sufjan Stevens song instead of the actual trailer. In retrospect I could've put both in though, so thanks for that. :D

A Sufjan Stevens song is always the better option

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You Should Have Known Better

You Should Have Known Better

You're right... I really Should Have Known Better

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The cameo star in the opening sequence to the premiere episode of the new season of Hawaii Five-O last night was Jack Lord who died 1998.

He was the original Steve McGarrett so they had a McGarrett pep talk for McGarrett.

I have to say it was well done and it really is amazing what technology can do these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

The cameo star in the opening sequence to the premiere episode of the new season of Hawaii Five-O

Thats an action packed sentence right there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have only checked out Designated Survivor and The Exorcist as new pilots/shows. Not interested in Lethal Weapon or MacGyver. Feels like there's more out there, but don't really have the time to jump in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Designated Survivor - favourite show so far, shows good promise.

This is Us - Surprisingly enjoyable. I'm sticking with it for another while.

Lethal Weapon - Decent enough, will watch some more.

MacGyver - the name is a millstone around its neck, but I thought the pilot was decent.

Better Things - Not laugh out loud funny, but you'll smile a lot. There is something very genuine about it.

The Good Place - better than I expected. Time will tell if they can keep it up.

Bull - Wasn't crazy about the pilot. I'll give it a few more, just to be sure.

Notorious - I wanted to like it, but the pilot was very convoluted. I'm not giving up on it yet, but it has work to do.

Son of Zorn - so much potential but very few laughs. Dumped.

Exorcist - haven't watched (yet).

Looking forward to the 3 time travel shows next week (Timeless, Frequency, No Tomorrow). If 2 out of 3 are good, I'll be delighted.

The 2016-2017 season only really kicks off when The CW throw their hat in the ring next week...

I liked Lethal Weapon and Designated Survivor well enough, but mightn't bother with them. Don't really need new shows, though will be watching Westworld and checking out the 3 time travel series you mentioned. And I do want to see the This is Us pilot. just haven't got around to it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just watched Aftermath. I think I liked it?

Almost came off like a prequel to Dominion (religious undertones, possessed humans, end of the world stuff).

Not bad, but some really poor special effects let it down. SyFy, eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Taking a few weeks off work. Not sure whether to power through more of ST: DS9, or try something else.

What the hell is with all these massive ads covering half the screen during programs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What the hell is with all these massive ads covering half the screen during programs?

People fast forwarding through the actual ads is the cause of this.

Parents TV Council in the States which usually shouts from the high heavens to have shows pulled from tv has now called for FOX to move it's new show Pitch to a better time show it won't get cancelled!

I was going to give the show a go but if this group want it to survive I'm having different thoughts on it now.

• Advertisement

Parents TV Council in the States which usually shouts from the high heavens to have shows pulled from tv has now called for FOX to move it's new show Pitch to a better time show it won't get cancelled!

I was going to give the show a go but if this group want it to survive I'm having different thoughts on it now.

I watched the first episode and while it was interesting enough, I don't care enough about a show rooted in Baseball, and there was such a predictable and unnecessary "twist" at the end that I just couldn't have been bothered going back for more.

On a related note Mark Paul Gosselaar (he's in Pitch, that's why it's related) looks awfully like Wil Wheaton nowadays - I'd watch a movie where those two were twins, throw in some other late 1980s/early 1990s stars in supporting roles and it wouldn't even matter if the story was good or not.

Talk has started again that Disney and maybe Apple now are interested in buying Netflix.

The TV industry is experiencing a brain drain, with all roads leading to Netflix.

On Wednesday the streaming service announced that it had hired Bela Bajaria, former president of Universal Television and a rising star in TV’s executive ranks, to spearhead content licensing, co-productions, and unscripted development for the streaming service. She becomes the most recent — and the most high-profile — traditional TV executive to take up with the industry’s new employer of choice.

Netflix has been on a hiring spree in the last two years, nabbing executives at a rate that has inspired more than just grumbling — it prompted a lawsuit by 21st Century Fox, which claims that Netflix broke the law when it poached two mid-level execs who were under contract. Powered by deep pockets, Netflix has recruited a fleet of former VPs and SVPs from brands such as Fox 21, Chernin Group, Broadway Video, Nickelodeon, Universal TV, Spike TV, Gaumont, AMC, Electus, Skydance, the CW, and more. They come to help build and service the content library of a company that is trying, as FX Networks CEO John Landgraf noted in August at the TCA summer press tour, “to compete with the entire MVPD system and all of its channels on a global basis.”

It is also a company that this week saw its stock price climb to its highest point in six months, fueled by Wall Street rumors of a possible acquisition by The Walt Disney Co. While staffing up and ramping up its programming slate — according to FX Networks research, Netflix had, by July, premiered or ordered 71 original scripted series — at rates that may not be sustainable, Netflix has built a market capitalization of more than $44 billion.

Meanwhile, Netflix’s body-snatching has made more shallow an executive talent pool already diluted by ever-increasing number of buyers in scripted television programming. Landgraf predicted in August that 2017 would see more than 500 original scripted series across broadcast, cable and streaming — up from 419 in 2015. Much of that growth will come from Netflix, but not all. Networks that only recently ventured into scripted, such as WGN America and Pop, have not backed down, and instead are continuing to develop. There are more buyers than ever in the television marketplace, and they’re not just competing for content — they’re competing for employees.

Variety

Heavy growth there, they really want to saturate the market.

Digitally remastered Fraggle Rock returns to HBO later this year.

Dance your cares away, worry’s for another day. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jaysus.. for a second, I thought they were remaking it - albeit in a gritty HBO fashion! :D

Basq wrote: »
    Jaysus.. for a second, I thought they were remaking it - albeit in a gritty HBO fashion! :D

That was my first though as well when I saw it.

I didn't know but it was HBO who made Fraggle Rock back in the 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Does anyone remember the "gritty" schoolyard theme tune?

Down in Fraggle Rock
    Grab a Fraggle by the c*ck
    Swing him 'round your head
    Now that Fraggle's dead

Anyone watch the Divorce pilot on HBO?
    Decent opener, would prefer Horgan to SJP in the role though.

So what new series have ye gone with?

I checked out a few pilots, but think Westworld is the only new one I'm still watching. Still have to watch the pilots for Frequency, This Is Us and 1 or 2 others.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So what new series have ye gone with?

I checked out a few pilots, but think Westworld is the only new one I'm still watching. Still have to watch the pilots for Frequency, This Is Us and 1 or 2 others.

Had a sit down last night and had a bit of a mini-culling of shows, because I was watching far too much altogether and not enough time in the day... Once the dust had settled, amazingly 4 new shows (which I had assumed would all get the chop) were still on my list - Westworld, Frequency, The Good Place and Speechless.

Advertisement