Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭gucci

Does anyone remember the "gritty" schoolyard theme tune?

Down in Fraggle Rock
    Grab a Fraggle by the c*ck
    Swing him in the air,
    Grab him by his pubic hair,

Swing him 'round your head
    Now that Fraggle's dead

You missed some key lines there....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Almost time for my yearly run through of Band of Brothers. Watching it during the winter feels right.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've never seen it. My secret shame.

There is a fun thread in the Games forum for Games Confessions. I think I'll start something similar for TV. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I hate when Prime Time gets an attitude over what the "right" thing is and keeps asking loaded questions in a scary voice and not even trying to present both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That What Snots video on that link above is f'in hilarious! Oh, the good oul days with Zig n Zag and Snotser and Socky and Ted and, of course, Dustin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That What Snots video on that link above is f'in hilarious! Oh, the good oul days with Zig n Zag and Snotser and Socky and Ted and, of course, Dustin!

Poor old Kevin: "Where did you get your hairstyle"
    Aimee: "as safe as a hat"!! "could you go up the ceiling?"

And Dustin has to fk off screen to laugh! Oh, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Poor old Kevin: "Where did you get your hairstyle"
    Aimee: "as safe as a hat"!! "could you go up the ceiling?"

And Dustin has to fk off screen to laugh! Oh, man!

I've watched this video countless times over the past few years. Any time I need a bit of cheering up, it has never failed to deliver...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ron Glass died age 71

Shepherd Book from Firefly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ron Glass died age 71

Aw, he's a leaf on the wind now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ron Glass died age 71

Most shocking dead of 2016 so far.. literally out-of-nowhere!

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

Rest In Peace Ron Glass

FireflyRonGlass-thumb-330x275-24898.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

To me, Ron Glass is Rod, God's cousin from Teen Angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2016 has really been a bad year. Sad to see him go.

Just have a quick question. I know it's early but just while it's in my head. I see a Christmas episode of Eureka is on SyFy and was wondering what other American/Canadian scripted tv series do or did actual Christmas specials? I know loads of series do Christmas episodes as part of their weekly run but which do one off specials? Like Eureka and Warehouse 13 did them during their breaks, similar to how Doctor Who does a Christmas episode. Think Robot Chicken as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

"hey lads, let's go on another slumming around Asia documentary, it'll be a whale of a time".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

any good tv boxsets?

I usually go to amazon for convience but hard to find any good boxsets, I like to buy them with lots of extras, no point just buying the vanilla show to watch again

have my eye on better call saul 2 think it has commentaries on every ep

community, although it seems the commentaries run out of steam

looking at vikings version with extras/commentaries are hard to find, I should look on some other site should I?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Jaysus, couldn't be rewatching & listening to commentary. Would you not put on something ya haven't seen before?

So I've started watching the first season of Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Now obviously, as I was a teenage boy when it first aired, I naturally had zero interest in checking it out, but fast forward 16 years and I must say I'm very much enjoying it - the dialogue is great and the odd ensemble of characters are a lot of fun to watch.

It wouldn't be the first show I've dismissed in the past on account of pre-conceived notions, that ultimately turned out to be really enjoyable, but how about anybody else? Is there a show you dismissed in your youth, but went on to really enjoy later on in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Started watching the 3 % on Netflix last night it's not half bad was surprised 😳

Also new to this thread so hello to all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

So I've started watching the first season of Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Now obviously, as I was a teenage boy when it first aired, I naturally had zero interest in checking it out, but fast forward 16 years and I must say I'm very much enjoying it - the dialogue is great and the odd ensemble of characters are a lot of fun to watch. Oh, and Lauren Graham was stunning.

It wouldn't be the first show I've dismissed in the past on account of pre-conceived notions, that ultimately turned out to be really enjoyable, but how about anybody else? Is there a show you dismissed in your youth, but went on to really enjoy later on in life?
    The Palladino's writing was something special.. I also dismissed it initially, but watched it all about 10 years ago (so I imagine some of the pop culture references feel a bit dated). But I loved it.. the cast were superb - not a weak one in it but Lauren Graham, Kelly Bishop, Edward Hermann, Sean Gunn and Scott Patterson are standouts).

My own personal "show I dismissed.." was Seinfeld.. felt too goofy with Jerry Seinfeld being a terrible actor (this is still true mind). But caught a few in a row and went out and bought the boxset on DVD and absolutely love it now.

Basq wrote: »
    The Palladino's writing was something special.. I also dismissed it initially, but watched it all about 10 years ago (so I imagine some of the pop culture references feel a bit dated). But I loved it.. the cast were superb - not a weak one in it but Lauren Graham, Kelly Bishop, Edward Hermann, Sean Gunn and Scott Patterson are standouts).

My own personal "show I dismissed.." was Seinfeld.. felt too goofy with Jerry Seinfeld being a terrible actor (this is still true mind). But caught a few in a row and went out and bought the boxset on DVD and absolutely love it now.

Seinfeld was one I didn't get around to watching myself until about 7/8 years ago, but easily one of the greatest sitcoms ever made and George Costanza one of the best written characters in television history.

So you're saying Gilmore Girls isn't chick flicky? I assumed it was, having never watched either. Or what would you compare to? There are other series which I'd say are dismissed as being aimed at women which are great, like Veronica Mars.

I dismissed Sopranos initially due to the ads making it seem like it was basically a tv version of Analyse This. Think it was season 3 or 4 by the time I started it.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So you're saying Gilmore Girls isn't chick flicky? I assumed it was, having never watched either. Or what would you compare to? There are other series which I'd say are dismissed as being aimed at women which are great, like Veronica Mars.

As I said, I'm only on the first season, but so far it's not chick flicky at all - it's more of a quirky family dramedy if anything and somewhat of a parody of, at that. Can't think of anything off the top of my head that I could compare it to, but it does remind me a bit of Twin Peaks, not in the mystery/occulty sense, but the odd way the characters of the town speak and interact with each other.

naughto wrote: »
    Also new to this thread so hello to all

Hello.

Have never seen a full episode of Gilmore Girls, may have seen segments here and there due to the Alexis Bledel factor. Didn't strike me as being chick flick based, though the setting and dynamic seemed appealing. The 90s was an interesting time, Freaks and Geeks, etc.

Am in the 'was dismissive of Seinfeld' camp too. I just don't put much time into comedy, tbh.

Really need to get back to DS9.

May check out Gilmore Grils at some point then. Though may be a bad idea considering I still have 5 ahd a half seasons of West Wing and 4 seasons of Monk to watch, among others. Also have Freaks and Geeks and My So Called Life waiting for me. At one point I got 2 other series I never watched as well in the form of Wonder Years and Boy Meets World. I'll admit I watch Girl Meets World and enjoy it.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    May check out Gilmore Grils at some point then. Though may be a bad idea considering I still have 5 ahd a half seasons of West Wing and 4 seasons of Monk to watch, among others. Also have Freaks and Geeks and My So Called Life waiting for me. At one point I got 2 other series I never watched as well in the form of Wonder Years and Boy Meets World. I'll admit I watch Girl Meets World and enjoy it.

Move Freaks and Geeks right up to the top of your list... You haven't lived mate!

To make another comparison, I haven't watched The Crown, or the marketing for it. The monarchy is amongst the least interesting subjects I can think of. I have heard John Lithgow is excellent as Winston Churchill, though. Gilmore Girls was around I was still deep into the X Files and probably ignoring everything else. :P It might have been a good fit if you were getting bored of Friends, something nice and light, but still have maybe had an interesting cast or message (I dunno). Young wan growing up, going to school with just a single mother, safe, but not saccharine (again, assuming). I was dismissive when I heard about BSG even though I've not seen the original and actually have a lot of time for sci-fi. Liked the new one.

iirc, the hold up about the Wonder Years DVDs was the music rights, yeah? Half the time getting into shows is just timing and luck. I get most of my TV news from boards.

Has anyone read any books written by actors?

Has anyone read any books written by actors?

I've read 'If The Cap Fits: My Rocky Road to Emmerdale' by Steve Halliwell (Emmerdale's Zak Dingle), which was well written and a very interesting read, regardless of whether you watch Emmerdale or not (it's really more about his childhood interest in acting, and life living on the streets and relying on alcohol before he landed the role) - he's a had a really fascinating life.

I also read Tina Fey's Bossypants, while on a two day train-ride from Chicago to Seattle - it was fine to kill some time on a train, but not something I'd recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So I was reading The Grand Tour is now the most pirated show ever beat GoT's the first 3 episodes have been downloaded 19 million times between them compared to just under 5 million for for the same episodes on Amazon.

I read in a few different places Amazon are losing close to £3 million an episode because of it. (From prime membership of those pirating and not being able to pay for it.)

Launching the show before the world wide launch of Amazon video may turn out to be a bit of a boo boo from Amazon.

How many of those who pirated it will no pay Amazon for it when they have been watching it for free since it started.

Advertisement