Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I saw the second episode of TGT legally as I was visiting a friend in Scotland, saw it in HD, with a sound bar and all that craic. I would like to watch High Castle s2 legally. Whether I can afford to maintain two entertainment accounts (already have Netflix) is something I don't know yet. I'm happy to pay if there's a timely mechanism that delivers it. Watching on a jittery stream (as opposed to be grabbing the file) can be just crap.

3 million is a fair dent in their per episode finances, I'd say.

LaVar, Jim Beaver's book is on my to 'check it out', list.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

LaVar, Jim Beaver's book is on my to 'check it out', list.

That's one I haven't read, but have been meaning to go out and buy for some time actually. I was at his Dublin Com Con Panel in August and he's very well spoken, so I imagine it's very well written, not to mention the heart-breaking subject matter would be incredibly interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I also read Tina Fey's Bossypants, while on a two day train-ride from Chicago to Seattle - it was fine to kill some time on a train, but not something I'd recommend.

OT. Amtrak? Would you recommend this? Have thought of doing the same.

OT. Amtrak? Would you recommend this? Have thought of doing the same.

Yeah Amtrak. It was pretty grim to be honest - their rail system is not good. Was in the States for 3 months and did 12 Cities from New York to San Diego, mostly travelling on Greyhound coaches (which I found to be great, despite hearing horror stories from any Americans whom I told this - any other backpackers also found Greyhound perfectly fine btw) and one internal flight, but the Amtrak was the worst leg of the trip, save only for the fact there was a bar on board (which unfortunately closed at 11pm) - aside from that there was absolutely no wifi, food on board was crap (they threw in a decent breakfast, but the rest of the time you were lucky to get a Twix and pack of crisps when the tuck shop decided to open - did I mention it was a 2 day trip? - at least on Greyhound overnights there was regular stops at service stations where you could grab a hot meal to take back on the bus) and unless you have an extra €500 dollars to upgrade to first class you're sleeping on a train seat (they're leather and recline, but so do the ones on the buses, which were also more comfortable).

Basically what I'm saying is, unless you're mad into trains, opt for an internal flight which are reasonably priced or go Greyhound for shorter journeys - think about 16 hours was the longest Greyhound I took from Portland to San Francisco (5pm-9am or something) and if I'm remembering correctly ended up being one of the more enjoyable legs of my trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just started to re-watch Babylon 5 the special effects are very dated but I'm only 10 minutes into the first episode but the story is as great as I remember.

Hands down the best sci-fi show of the last 30 years if not ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nah I don't know. As sci-fi, I'd rate Battlestar Galactica (2003) or Fringe higher.

Oh God, why? Will Liam show up? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

He has the voice down pretty good! Looks decent. :)

Looks fun reminds me a bit of Human Target.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Michael Sheen is an absolute legend. Always admired him, both for his acting and his politics but now he's going one step further. He's giving up acting for political activism. Shame we won't get to see him act (for a while at least)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/12/17/michael-sheen-quits-acting-fight-far-right-populism/

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Gutted.. massively talented actor. Very funny too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Michael Sheen is an absolute legend. Always admired him, both for his acting and his politics but now he's going one step further. He's giving up acting for political activism. Shame we won't got to see him act (for a while at least)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/12/17/michael-sheen-quits-acting-fight-far-right-populism/
    Basq wrote: »
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0790688/

I'm surprised I had to go all the way back to 2012 to find him in something I watched of his and then back to 2009 for underworld. Doesn't really do much.

Had to think for awhile where do I be seeing him and then it dawned on me, only reason I'd say most recognise him is because of those looking for money charity ads he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I watched that "The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box " just last week. Was on SyFy

If he's as successful at politics as he is with actresses he will be Prime Minister of the United Kingdom within a few years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does nobody watch masters of sex?

I'll refrain from making a joke about mirrors on my ceiling, but nah never started it. Think I was watching too many other series at the time.

Watched the first series of masters of sex, he makes a pretty unlikeable character someone you want to do well and you forgive him for being a bit of a prick. Started 2nd series but it joined the backlog and I never got back to it.

He got to snog Anna Friel in a Manics video too, so he was doing alright for himself.

Basq wrote: »

This news will cheer you up then hopefully.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/dec/18/michael-sheen-denies-rumours-he-is-swapping-acting-for-activism

Edit: to save link clicking, he's denied that he's jacking in acting.

Couple of trailers for Riverdale, starting January 27th on The CW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Couple of trailers for Riverdale, starting January 27th on The CW.

Netflix has Irish rights to this.

• Advertisement

Occono wrote: »
    Netflix has Irish rights to this.

Sweet, didn't know that. Good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

This general TV chat seems most appropriate for this little point..

Just read in the RTE Guide that today's Today Show will be presented by that 'Charismatic Duo' of Daithi and Maura!!

Here was I expecting maybe Bill Clinton and Michelle Obama:p

I don't wish to give TV execs ideas, but my guess for the next reboot/remake/film adaptation - Honey, I Shrunk the Kids...

It's the most wonderful time of the year...
    where everything is on a break and I can get caught up and watch do other things. :-) Librarians and Scream Queens still going. Though Scream Queens finale was last night

I don't wish to give TV execs ideas, but my guess for the next reboot/remake/film adaptation - Honey, I Shrunk the Kids...

Already been done and ran for 3 seasons.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125622/

Haven't gone back to Frequency recently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I read about it but didn't like the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Watched the first two ep not going to bother with it. Started qo on Netflix it's not at all bad

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks fun reminds me a bit of Human Target.

I thought same about Taken, the lead kinda looks like Jim Carrey more than Liam Neeson though

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Nah I don't know. As sci-fi, I'd rate Battlestar Galactica (2003) or Fringe higher.

BOlivia in the house.

Advertisement