Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,641 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was just thinking Trump being President is going to give writers of dramas a lot of material to work with over the next four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I read about it but didn't like the pitch.

I liked it, but I don't think many are on the same wavelength

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just watched the Christmas special for Blankety Blank. It was a dated format 30 years ago - today, it's just embarrassing.

David Walliams tried his best, but he was swimming against a current of crap. They're still giving away a cheque book and pen. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I watched James May's Reassembler for the first time. It was good - typical of his delivery and level of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Watching strangers on Netflix

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Give Search Party with Alia Shawkat a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Give Search Party with Alia Shawkat a watch.
    Yep, started it last week. Pretty good I must say!

Starting The Affair.. 7 episodes in. It's a glorified soap opera but damnit, it's enthralling!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

A must watch...

Happy New Year Folks

Does anyone watch Black-ish?
    Thinking about giving it a try as it gets a lot of critical praise by afraid of it being another Modern Family

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Does anyone watch Black-ish?
    Thinking about giving it a try as it gets a lot of critical praise by afraid of it being another Modern Family

I watched the first two seasons and it's good, but haven't watched any of the current season yet - will catch up at some point I imagine. It's not the best sitcom out there by any means, if you're expecting the next Arrested Development or Parks and Rec, Blackish ain't it, but it's decent all the same.

• Advertisement

Probably skip it so. I have a bunch of recommendations I need to triage before the January pickups.

I heard Smalltown was good but I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone watch Hinterland (Y Gwyll)?
    I can't figure out if the bilingual version of season three has been shown anywhere yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh for an ignore option on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Does anyone watch Hinterland (Y Gwyll)?
    I can't figure out if the bilingual version of season three has been shown anywhere yet.

Welsh only version just finished on S4C, they showed it during December. BBC Website (from 2015) says its on BBC Wales early this year. Love this series, even though it can take bleak to whole new level at times!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/34696574?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

They say the bilingual version is called Y Gwyll there, but didn't it's the other way around?
    I think there's actually a third version entirely in English distributed internationally. It's weird, one of the best aspects of the show is how Mathias is an outsider who can't adequately communicate with or gain the trust of the locals without his colleagues' help and that just isn't the case when they all speak the same language.

They say the bilingual version is called Y Gwyll there, but didn't it's the other way around?
    I think there's actually a third version entirely in English distributed internationally. It's weird, one of the best aspects of the show is how Mathias is an outsider who can't adequately communicate with or gain the trust of the locals without his colleagues' help and that just isn't the case when they all speak the same language.

Wow, didn't realise there is an all English version, not that I'd watch that version I don't think. I agree with you, I like the jarring nature of relationship between Mathias and pretty much everyone else.

I read that Netflix us had it all in English apart from when a character reads a poem and the subtitle says (speaks German) :D

In France, they made the bizarre decision to dub it... into Breton! Forcing all viewers to read the subtitles of a series they've pointlessly replaced the soundtrack on, it's just the most insane thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I read that Netflix us had it all in English apart from when a character reads a poem and the subtitle says (speaks German) :D

In France, they made the bizarre decision to dub it... into Breton! Forcing all viewers to read the subtitles of a series they've pointlessly replaced the soundtrack on, it's just the most insane thing ever.

Hinterland is on Irish Netflix....which version is that?

I'd say English only. If you see a scene with the local cops talking to one another in English then you'll know.

I'd say English only. If you see a scene with the local cops talking to one another in English then you'll know.

Just checked, watched a clip from ep 2 and Mared is talking to her family in English, remember the scene from BBC Wales version where she definitely speaks Welsh. Did not know they did an English only version, shocked I am! Think I'll still stick with the Anglo Welsh, though all English doesn't seem too bad either. They must do a serious amount of takes of same scene at times.All Welsh, all English and Anglo/Welsh.

• Advertisement

There's a lot of good Belgian stuff knocking about. I'm watching La Trêve at the minute and it's pretty damn good. The quality of the acting in all the series I've watched from there has been superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

There's a lot of good Belgian stuff knocking about. I'm watching La Trêve at the minute and it's pretty damn good. The quality of the acting in all the series I've watched from there has been superb.

It's "The Break" on Irish Netflix for anyone who wants to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

The travelers ( not about the Irish nacks) on Netflix is quite good

Only Belgian thing I've seen is Salamander, thought the acting in that was quite poor, but I never really liked the story much so maybe that clouded my judgement.

Only Belgian thing I've seen is Salamander, thought the acting in that was quite poor, but I never really liked the story much so maybe that clouded my judgement.

Ah, really? That one has been on my list for a while, creeping towards the top. I'll still give it a chance.

Ah, really? That one has been on my list for a while, creeping towards the top. I'll still give it a chance.

Do, I don't think it got bad reviews or anything, I just didn't warm to it and found it a bit silly. Watched til the end so it must have done something right.

Have you seen Clan (the out laws)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Saw that on More 4 and loved the black comedy.

Watched Salamander a few years ago - I liked it at the time. Conspiracy theory thing, one man fighting for the truth etc... Grand to watch but nothing hugely memorable about it in my opinion.

Thats the extent of my Belgian TV knowledge - if you have any other recommendations (apart from La Treve) let us know!

Meant to watch it but never did, I'll give that a go.

• Advertisement

ahlookit wrote: »
    Saw that on More 4 and loved the black comedy.

Watched Salamander a few years ago - I liked it at the time. Conspiracy theory thing, one man fighting for the truth etc... Grand to watch but nothing hugely memorable about it in my opinion.

Thats the extent of my Belgian TV knowledge - if you have any other recommendations (apart from La Treve) let us know!

Matrioshki or Matroesjka or whatever way they spell it was brilliant. The black comedy in the grimmest of stories is really well done. Hilariously horrific. Although a fair bit of the humour hinges on understanding Flemish and specifically the working class Antwerp dialect. It's quite old as well.

Ennemi Public is supposed to be very good but I've not watched it yet. Cordon is worth a watch.

Advertisement