Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The idea of "too many cooks", spoiling things (primarily the writing/tone, etc), is this accusation ever laid at the door of UK TV productions? Do they rotate showrunners as much as their US counterparts? I'd guess not if the opportunities to move around aren't as widespread and the shorter episode runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Watched the first episode of Sweet/Vicious and starting the second now. I'm likining what I've seen so far.

And now I have "Too Many Cooks" stuck in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any good Superbowl ads out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

That Lithuanian girl on first dates has to be a joke.

There is NO WAY anyone could be that ridiculous.

I say it's a set up, they're both in on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Retro telly fans might like to know The Persuaders is on True Entertainment - blown up to 16:9 (hate that!)

Forces TV which is not one anyone thinks of is home to Goodnight Sweetheart, Airwolf, A Team, F Troop, Private Benjamin, Hogans Heroes and one I've never heard of Gomer Pyle: USMC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Forces TV which is not one anyone thinks of is home to Goodnight Sweetheart, Airwolf, A Team, F Troop, Private Benjamin, Hogans Heroes and one I've never heard of Gomer Pyle: USMC

You missed The Piglet Files. I watched todays episode and thought it was very funny. Unfortunately it was the last of the series but if it gets a repeat I'd love to watct it from the start.

In contrast Airwolf is only just starting on the channel so you can watch it from the pilot. If you miss it at 6pm this evening - you can catch the repeat at 2pm tomorrow.

I watched an episode of F Troop too. I remember watching it before, years and years ago, but I don't remember where.

I haven't heard of Gomer Pyle: USMC either. It's on at 7.30pm and 12 midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Also on the subject of retro:

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet starts on Yesterday next Monday (2pm and 11pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Richard Hatch has died aged 71 RIP.

Apollo in the original Battlestar Galactica & Tom Zarek in the remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Very sad today to hear about the passing of Alan Simpson, co-creator of both Hancock's Half Hour and Steptoe and Son. Hancock has been a massive part of my life and a big influence on my sense of humour ever since my dad brought home a cassette of the Christmas specials. Over the years I've managed to get my hands on 64 of the surviving radio episodes, which still get played on a regular basis, and recently I purchased a boxset of the complete TV series. It's one of the original sitcoms and it's fantastically written and performed by all the cast. For anyone who hasn't experienced it I can't recommend it enough. Unfortunately I've never got around to watching any Steptoe and Son but I have only ever heard good things.

Fox will consider a Firefly reboot but Joss has to be attached is popping up all over the place online tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Won't happen after this long.. especially after how Fox treated the show originally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Netflix appear to be throwing out trailers all over the place this week, or else it's just my Youtube 'recommended for you', that's suggesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Netflix appear to be throwing out trailers all over the place this week, or else it's just my Youtube 'recommended for you', that's suggesting stuff.

Pretty sure loads of trailers were released (both Netflix and other Film/TV) during Superbowl last Sunday, so there's more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Fox will consider a Firefly reboot but Joss has to be attached is popping up all over the place online tonight.

I would prefer a continuation of the show than the film
    so Wash would be in

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭LushiousLips

I was surprised there was no thread on the RTE show After the crash. God it was heart breaking to watch

Got to love Hawkeye.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Please Like Me is pure brilliant..

So did Designated Survivor ever get good? I only watched the first episode.

And on a related note, since I'm still making my way through The West Wing slowly (still on season 3), why is the Deputy Chief of Staff's assistant the only assistant to be at big meetings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So did Designated Survivor ever get good? I only watched the first episode.

Oh yea, impatiently waiting for the next EP here, ended on a hanger, I'd watched eps 8,9,10 in a row, the secrets (look to be) coming out....Wait for EP 11, then binge watch!!

• Advertisement

Hmm, may be one to watch. Of course whoever caused the explosion probably started panicking when Jack Bauer entered the White House and Nikita led the investigation.

Just came across this Joshua Malina is doing and episode by episode podcast on the West Wing with cast members joining him.

They are up to season 2 episode 18 as of this week.

http://thewestwingweekly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Tommy Byrne documentary 'Crash and Burn' on RTE1 just now was excellent.

Driver who might had all the talent in the World but not the application. Well worth a look even if you have no interest in MotorSport

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Not going out really pushing the boundries of what you see on bbc1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Anyone know why chat shows have started showing trailers rather than actual clips, I assume it's the studios but it's really annoying.

Props to this young fella. Steve Irwin's kid. Also, positive comments on YT. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Taboo was excellent I though well worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Watching dragons den on rte earlier, turns out it was a repeat from 2014. Though I am always up for a legit deal/"scam" or work around, within reason, I was fairly shocked to see what I considered a well dodgy scam being supported by a dragon, and funded by him in the end.

The "dragon" Gavin Duffy also dragged st vincent de paul into it which I thought bizarre & a pretty despicable move to distance himself from such a scam. Other dragons were very put off with the premise of this product, I do not want to name it (and promote it) but it totally circumvents the security feature on trolleys, which if used will absolutely no doubt lead to higher damage to cars by stray trolleys, so higher insurance costs, an in turn higher produce prices and insurance costs overall.

I see SVP mentioned on their site right now. It is also on the "Irish countrywomens associaton".

This would seriously put me off supporting SVP in the future, who I would presume know about this "support". One of the few charities I still had some faith in. Maybe they are unaware of this "support" though, but should be actively be seeking and distancing themselves from companies like these, I know if I was involved with SVP I would be disgusted with the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

rubadub wrote: »
    Watching dragons den on rte earlier, turns out it was a repeat from 2014. Though I am always up for a legit deal/"scam" or work around, within reason, I was fairly shocked to see what I considered a well dodgy scam being supported by a dragon, and funded by him in the end.

The "dragon" Gavin Duffy also dragged st vincent de paul into it which I thought bizarre & a pretty despicable move to distance himself from such a scam. Other dragons were very put off with the premise of this product, I do not want to name it (and promote it) but it totally circumvents the security feature on trolleys, which if used will absolutely no doubt lead to higher damage to cars by stray trolleys, so higher insurance costs, an in turn higher produce prices and insurance costs overall.

I see SVP mentioned on their site right now. It is also on the "Irish countrywomens associaton".

This would seriously put me off supporting SVP in the future, who I would presume know about this "support". One of the few charities I still had some faith in. Maybe they are unaware of this "support" though, but should be actively be seeking and distancing themselves from companies like these, I know if I was involved with SVP I would be disgusted with the connection.

I have, and responsibly use, one of their trolley devices for the last few years. In reality they are no different to trolley tokens which I'm guessing you have no objection to.
    I just don't have to carry change or tokens with me, my key ring releases the trolley and when I'm done I always put my trolley back.

• Advertisement

How to make you feel old on the 10th of March Buffy will be 20 years old.

17021371_1378467832225617_3495599618895392383_n.jpg?oh=e0f70dcd734d9e6c153f575042514956&oe=5931FE16

Might just be a good time to rewatch.

Advertisement