Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The writers strike starts on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,022 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The final episodes of the network season should be all written/filmed by now and any upcoming cable/streaming shows are usually filmed well in advance. Just ask netflix about Orange is the New Black for an example of that. Which means this strike shouldn't affect Game of Thrones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, late April is usually when shows like NCIS, Supernatural, etc, have wound down. They pick up again around July or so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So Suits will suck? Or do they use a random dialogue generator for their scripts now, I can't really tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I wouldn't be worried about this season.. it's a delay for next season that's more likely.

Let's say it lasts the same as the previous strike (100 days), writers won't be getting back to work until mid-August.

• Advertisement

I ordered Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - The Complete Remastered Series it arrives in the morning I can't wait to spend my weekend watching Wilma Deering in glorious HD.

Colonel_Wilma_Deering_05.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I ordered Buck Rogers in the 25th Century - The Complete Remastered Series it arrives in the morning I can't wait to spend my weekend watching Wilma Deering in glorious HD.

Colonel_Wilma_Deering_05.JPG

Did this show air in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes, on Sunday evenings as I recall.

ITV first showed it up against Dr Who and it got bigger ratings than the Dr when it first came out and then in the late 80's BBC 2 showed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think buck rogers was shown again on sky one too, or some channel around the time sky one came out.
    I can't wait to spend my weekend watching Wilma Deering in glorious HD.
    Dunno if it was that woman, but I remember some woman came out all dressed up nicely and the little robot, twiki says "beedly, beedly, beedly, what a fox!"

Twiki is still alive, 80 years old https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Silla

EDIT https://memwrites.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/memwrites0097/
    Rogers, having landed on Earth and pawned off Jo-Ella on Twiki (“What a fox,” the robot enthuses), takes flight with Deering and one Lt. Murphy. They engage the three small vessels in which the mercenaries are fleeing. Two ships are destroyed, but Cherise escapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Basq wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried about this season.. it's a delay for next season that's more likely.

Let's say it lasts the same as the previous strike (100 days), writers won't be getting back to work until mid-August.

Jesus that was a terrible time!

RTE 2 showing the Big Country in stretchy-vision I see (had to choose the wide zoom option to get it correct

Loving Buck Rodgers I can't remember the last time I watched but it's great fun altogether with a totally 70's disco feel.

The HD remaster is really good.

I'm quite surprised no one has shown it on say ITV4 or Horror channel (yes I know but they show lots of fantasy/sci-fi stuff before 9 PM)

So many great camp shows from the 60's,70's & 80's you would think would find a home on one of those satellite channels.

Sapphire and Steel, The Invisible Man, The Saint etc

Just found the complete Blake's 7 on dvd for €30 on Amazon so I think that will be my next purchase of shows from my childhood.

I think I saw Avengers on one of those channels. And Horror Channel had Land of the Giants

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Can you imagine being in the Homeland writers' room at the moment?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think I saw Avengers on one of those channels. And Horror Channel had Land of the Giants

True Entertainment - they also have shown the Prisoner and are showing Man From UNCLE at the moment.
    Can you imagine being in the Homeland writers' room at the moment?

They'll hardly know where to start or stop!

Season 1 would've been a good stopping point

• Advertisement

A Deadpool series made by the Archer people and Donald Glover. I like the sound of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just finished watching the rerun of Roots on true Ent, apart from a few well known faces most of the actors never seemed to have made a name for themselves despite strong preformances from all the cast.

So at the time of year where I'm counting down with "Woohoo! One less show to watch" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So at the time of year where I'm counting down with "Woohoo! One less show to watch" :)

Strangely enough, all of the shows I watch got Renewed this year, which I don't think has ever happened before...

I just meant with shows finishing up for the season. But now you mention it, so far all shows I watch have been renewed as well. Not counting shows like Leftovers which is in its final season

I keep getting close to an empty list but now there's all the Netflix and Walter Presents stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I used to watch shows week-to-week like most years ago, but a few seasons ago I made the switch to only watching shows when their season (or mid-season) finale had aired. Much easier watching one show over a few days or a week, than having something like 20 or more different shows going togther trying to keep track of all the storylines. I'd much rather sit down at night and watch 3 episodes of the same show, than an episode each of 3 different dramas.

Starting AoS tonight, as it finishes tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I made the switch to only watching shows when their season (or mid-season) finale had aired. Much easier watching one show over a few days or a week, than having something like 20 or more different shows going togther trying to keep track of all the storylines.
    same here, don't know how some people do it. I waited until I knew breaking bad was going to have its final season before watching, so by the time I had watched all the previous ones I was right up near the current final episodes. I knew it would be highly likely to be "spoiled" so did want to watch the final few when it was just released.

It's hard to do that with a lot of series though. I tend to have about 15 regulars a week and one binger show at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone watched The Son?

Advertisement